BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Baja Grande Jeep Buildup (with photos)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

thumbup.gif posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:16 AM
Baja Grande Jeep Buildup (with photos)

Yes, it is another BajaNomad 4WD Baja Jeep buildup thread. But, this thread is not without a little storytelling...Baja style, that is.:yes:

Mike was at one time, the owner of a magnificent 2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. The Jeep could go anywhere (in Baja), that Mike pointed it. It's long wheelbase was at times a hinderance, but Mike's ability to store 1 week's worth of gear for the Baja Grande 4WD event made that liability disappear.

Mike ran into some challenges with the finance company, and he recently had to sell the Rubicon. Gone with this vehicle was the Airaid Intake, Viair On Board Air system, Full-Traction Suspension, NEW oversized Xtreme All-Terrain tires, Body Armor bumpers and rear tire carrier, etc.

On Thursday evening, I saw the Jeep here in Riverside during my wife's commute to Adult School. While the Jeep was not spotted in Baja on one of it's dusty trails, at least it still had that menacing appearance as it turned onto Madison Avenue headed towards the 91 Freeway during rush hour.:O

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:21 AM
Ambling up La Turquesa Mine 4WD Road

It takes a rugged vehicle to make this trek without problems. Mike's JK Unlimited Rubicon did whatever was asked of it.

Mike standing next to his garage-built Baja Beast!:O:fire::O

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:29 AM
Short Weekend Trip To Anza Borrego

While Baja always tops the outback itinerary, local trips to the Desert and Mountains have always been fit into our collective schedules.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:32 AM
The Jeep Rubicon as a PROVEN Baja-capable platform

Are there naysayers to this thread? Dare they speak up? My short wheelbase Jeep Rubicon was challenged to a challenging hill climb competition by a Toyota Land Cruiser driven by this owner's wife. She challenged, and I didn't back down.

Because I'm not the type of individual to laugh at other's vehicles, nor do I put others down for the type of vehicle they choose to drive, I had to confront this elephant in the room.

While Mike did not choose to let his JK go, he welcomed his LJ with open arms. This takes us to examine the parts that will go into this Baja Grande LJ Buildup for 2010/2011!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:40 AM
The JK Platform only had this minor flaw associated with the steering stabilizer location.

The steering stabilizer is in a location that can bent and will rip off the associated lower steering apparatus if not protected by a Rancho part that had yet to be developed.

Repair field work on Thanksgiving day - 2007 at Ralph Shoemaker's Garage - Rancho Santa Ines.

The repairwork went so well, Mike was able to spend the rest of the trip doing what he loves best...playing in the mud!:lol:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:41 AM

I recall Mike and his jeep when we were checking out El Canelo a few years ago. And it carried some tires to me on one of your Baja Grande Tours.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:51 AM
New suspension - Rubicon Express 3.5" Lift kit

Mike's LJ Rubicon will have the 3.5" Rubicon Express (standard) lift installed. This is typically a 3 hour install job.

The parts as shown:

Components shown are:
RE1145 - SWAY BAR END LINK, FRONT
RE1155 - SWAY BAR END LINKS REAR TJ
RE1172 - DISCONNECT ADAPTERS TJ/ZJ 96+
RE1363 - COIL SPRINGS TJ 3.5" FRONT/PA
RE1365 - COIL SPRINGS TJ 3.5" REAR/PAI
RE1380 - BUMPSTOPS 2" FRONT LOWER
RE1385 - BUMPSTOPS 2" TJ REAR UPPER
RE1603 - TRACK BAR BRACKET TJ REAR W/O
RE2100 - T-CASE LOWERING KIT YJ/TJ 1"

The Rubicon Express Track Bar will make Mike's alignment go much easier. Plus, these parts wear out when combined with tough Baja terrain.

Daystar makes a 3/4" Coil Spacer leveling kit which we will install in concert with the 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, netting a total lift of 5" front-end lift!:bounce:

Now, Mike's 33" Tires won't rub on the fenders when the swaybar is disconnected.

Daystar coil spacer lift

Features:

•ComfortRide™ Suspension Coil Spring Spacer Kit
•High Density Progressive Polyurethane
•Lifts Vehicles Without Sacrificing Ride Quality or Load-Carrying Capacity
•Easiest Way to Add Larger Off-Road Tires & Wheels
•Maximum recommended tire size: stock
•Improves Ground Clearance
•Limited Lifetime Warranty
•Front Lift Only; Budget Boost Kit
•Use With or As Factory Isolators

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I recall Mike and his jeep when we were checking out El Canelo a few years ago. And it carried some tires to me on one of your Baja Grande Tours.

Mike is a real nice guy, and one of my best friends. He is such a nice guy that he gets invited all the time to 4WD events, trips, dinners, etc. He is always ready and willing to help out.

Thankfully, after his JK uprooting, he is able to step into a great used vehicle and has the means to UP THE ANTE with proven products that will get him back into the action again.

Mike in Anza Borrego

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 10:02 AM

New Smittybilt bumper!:bounce:

Mike installed these bumpers on his LJ, and reports that the rear bumper did a great job pulling his quad trailer out to the desert recently. Mike also rides quads when not Jeeping.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 01:03 PM

A real shame Mike had to sell the Rubicon...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 01:09 PM

Hey, Ken... thanks for sharing and all the work...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

He was not happy about this money-letting, but it was all part of the (Baja) journey, I guess. He is excited about the buildup which will take place on Friday. I plan on photographing all of the steps we go through to make his Jeep ready for Baja Grande 2011.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Hey, Ken... thanks for sharing and all the work...

Stay tuned, Wessongroup. This will indeed be a photo thread. I plan on posting numerous photographs related to the buildup as Mikes Jeep prepares to play with the big kids.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

He was not happy about this money-letting, but it was all part of the (Baja) journey, I guess. He is excited about the buildup which will take place on Friday. I plan on photographing all of the steps we go through to make his Jeep ready for Baja Grande 2011.

I am confused... I thought he had to sell the Jeep? Did he already get another?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

I am confused... I thought he had to sell the Jeep? Did he already get another?

Mike doesn't waste time when it has to do with off-road adventures. In May the '07 JK was sold. In October, an '06 was purchased and delivered (via CarMax). Sorry for the confusion. Mike had some divorce drama which prevented him from keeping the '07. Baja will be prize. Getting there will be part of the fun.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 01:24 PM

Okay... him getting another Jeep was missing from your post! Good News!!

Hope he finds a new lady that won't make him choose between her and his Jeep! ;)

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:45 AM
Rubicon Express install

Mikes Jeep has been proven throughout the backcountry of Death Valley and Panamint Valley, but with the lack of clearance provided by his P245 :o tires, a suspension lift with 33"x12.5"r15s is the only way he plans to roll.

Stock with desert pinstriping

Parked next to my "Baja Tomb Raider" w/4.5" of lift, 33" tires

Not much clearance under that gasoline tank skid plate

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:52 AM
Only the "good stuff"

Let's get started...:bounce:

Kevin, Mike, and I turned wrenches from early morning to late afternoon. Sadly, we only tackled the front axle installation within that prescribed amount of time. Here is a run through of our installation.

Kevin (right) and Mike (left) getting started

At the heart of it all - 3" lifted coil springs over standard ride height comprise the core of this suspension lift kit. A heavier coil with a much greater spring rate will increase control over places like the Zoo Road, the dirt route to Gonzaga Bay (or what is left of it), and the Mission Impossible trail.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 06:57 AM

20 ton removal of a rust-hardened sway bar link:o

KER-POWWWWW!!!!:!:

Enlargement of the Panhard Bar Bracket

Spectators raisin' a roost!

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2010 at 07:00 AM
Almost finished...

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.