BajaNomad

Mulege "La Palapa" Restaurant has moved

oladulce - 12-17-2010 at 11:50 PM

My heart sank when we pulled up to La Palapa after driving all day and found the lights out and doors closed- damn, Saul's business a victim of the economy?

Depressed, tired, and hungry, we looked for a spot to turn the rig around and head back to Concepción for the night. As we prepared to make a U-turn we passed by the previously abandoned artisan's shop 2 "doors" south of the old Palapa restaurant, and found the structure lit up and returned to life, and saw the "La Palapa" sign on the front. Yippee!

Same nice folks, same excellent food, new location just a stone's throw from the old spot. It might be confusing if you've never been there before because it's still called La Palapa with a big sign out front, and no sign of a palapa on the new place.

The location is a couple miles South of Mulege, about 1/2 mile South of the Serinidad turn off, and about 1/4 mile North of the Mulege Pemex that's on Hwy #1.

Nowadays we order the same thing every time because there's no reason to stray because they do it best- the Mexican Combination. All-TIME favorite Chili Rellenos!

woody with a view - 12-18-2010 at 07:17 AM

that is hilarious. we do the same thing mostly everywhere we actually sit down to eat. if we can't decide, the Mexi-combo is the choice. never been disappointed yet. how can they screw up a national dish?

Marc - 12-18-2010 at 08:57 AM

It's been years since I've been there. Think I'll give it a try next time down.

toneart - 12-18-2010 at 04:07 PM

Too many holes in the palapa roof in the old location. It was time!:rolleyes::lol:

tripledigitken - 12-18-2010 at 06:26 PM

Oladulce,

Had a great breakfast there in October. Much better setup, don't you think?

Saul is a gracious host!

Ken

Lauriboats - 12-19-2010 at 04:48 PM

They also have an internet cafe inside, if you eat there the internet is free. The new place has a lot more class, great spot to stop and enjoy a good meal.

dtutko1 - 12-19-2010 at 07:09 PM

Be carefull pf the margaritas. It came in a schooner mug and the mixer associated strong with good, and it was extra good.

You can't say enough good things about this place-

CasaManzana - 12-21-2010 at 09:18 AM

Now owned and run by Hugo Martinez (Saul moved to La Paz), the computer repair guy so many of us have used for a couple of years now. The restaurant is totally WiFi'ed and the food is great because the La Palapa employees moved with the name. They are in the process of installing windows to enclose the entire space.

tripledigitken - 12-21-2010 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana
Now owned and run by Hugo Martinez (Saul moved to La Paz), the computer repair guy so many of us have used for a couple of years now. The restaurant is totally WiFi'ed and the food is great because the La Palapa employees moved with the name. They are in the process of installing windows to enclose the entire space.

Thanks for the info on the new owner!

Ken

Barbarosa - 1-26-2011 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana
Now owned and run by Hugo Martinez . The restaurant is totally WiFi'ed and the food is great because the La Palapa employees moved with the name. They are in the process of installing windows to enclose the entire space.

This sounds like a great tip. We're only going to be in Mulege one night (at Serenidad) and I was thinking of just eating there (kinida course of least resistance).

I assume Jungle Jim's is still around (for drinks / partying).

And what about that palapa on the other side of the river right at the mouth. May be too small for our big crowd but I've really loved that place.

TIA for any and all comments.

Bajahowodd - 1-26-2011 at 05:23 PM

If it's the weekend when you're at Serenidad, you shouldn't miss the pig roast. Otherwise, head out and explore. Personally, if I had but one night there, I'd head out to Ray's.

El Patron

tripledigitken - 1-26-2011 at 07:28 PM

They could fit you in.

Barbarosa - 1-26-2011 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
They could fit you in.

Hmmm, well I only kinda sorta recognize it. (It's been quite awhile and I think maybe it's changed a bit.) That's the place on the north side of the river right at the mouth, right?

captkw - 1-26-2011 at 09:04 PM

didnt that used to be amaja's===clam's o.k. I will go to sleep!!! his brother is sergio and hangs out at la playita 's panga shack

mulegemichael - 1-26-2011 at 09:09 PM

it's been el patron as long as i've known it...maybe a decade or so ago...google it..

tripledigitken - 1-26-2011 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
didnt that used to be amaja's===clam's o.k. I will go to sleep!!! his brother is sergio and hangs out at la playita 's panga shack

It was Almeja's 20 years ago or so. Not sure if the owners are the same, but the food has always been the same, good.

Red beard,

Yes, north side all the way to the Sea of Cortez

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by tripledigitken]

Russ - 1-27-2011 at 06:53 AM

The first time I was there it was Almejas. Had the largest and best prepared plate of mariscos ever. Since then the plate is half the size and not as well prepared or presented. Haven't been back for some 10 years or so. But have heard it is very good.

captkw - 1-27-2011 at 07:37 AM

thank's tripledigken, I thought I was losing it,,,wait Ive never had...still lost in baja land.......and that's a good thing!! funny I would remember the name after sooo many year's.....maybe cause I knew of a resteraunt named bearded clam!!!!!

Barbarosa - 1-27-2011 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
The first time I was there it was Almejas. Had the largest and best prepared plate of mariscos ever. Since then the plate is half the size and not as well prepared or presented. Haven't been back for some 10 years or so. But have heard it is very good.

For me it's been at least 6 years. I sure don't remember all that landscaping. At least not from all the earlier times.

mulegemichael - 1-27-2011 at 08:36 AM

it was "landscaped" by a couple of storms, most recently jimena...it's been cleaned up nicely now.

Pompano - 1-27-2011 at 09:08 AM

'Whitey or Gringo' first built the shack called Almeja's and operated it for many years, until his cancer finally claimed him. He was nicknamed El Patron..because he respectfully called all his male patrons..'Patron.'

Most of Mulege turned out for his 'last hoorah' ..back in the day.

It was a great place to hang out. The Baja beach shack ambiance was superb, as were the tasty chocolatey clams on the half-shell...Oyster Rockerfeller style.

We partied hardy with the crew..and were known to drink a few Pacificos now and then....

This photo is Almeja's circa ..oh..about 1987 or so..who paid attention to what year it was back then?

When I get back the Coyote Casa in February, I will look for more old photos of him and Almeja's. And some of the new El Patron's to boot...

opps..found these on my laptop here in _____?

The last photos above are right after Hurricane Jimena in '09. Nowadays the place is a great place to hang..or eat. Just ask Terry!

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by Pompano]

Back to news about 'La Palapa'

Pompano - 2-1-2011 at 10:18 AM

The new place is not La Palapa..that was Saul's old cafe...now closed.

This new one operated by Hugo and Josefina is called...

"Sr. Gecko"

A great place to eat, drink, and check your emails...Stop in and say Hi from Roger....pay my bar bill, etc.

[Edited on 2-1-2011 by Pompano]