Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mulege "La Palapa" Restaurant has moved
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2010 at 11:50 PM
Mulege "La Palapa" Restaurant has moved

My heart sank when we pulled up to La Palapa after driving all day and found the lights out and doors closed- damn, Saul's business a victim of the economy?

Depressed, tired, and hungry, we looked for a spot to turn the rig around and head back to Concepción for the night. As we prepared to make a U-turn we passed by the previously abandoned artisan's shop 2 "doors" south of the old Palapa restaurant, and found the structure lit up and returned to life, and saw the "La Palapa" sign on the front. Yippee!

Same nice folks, same excellent food, new location just a stone's throw from the old spot. It might be confusing if you've never been there before because it's still called La Palapa with a big sign out front, and no sign of a palapa on the new place.

The location is a couple miles South of Mulege, about 1/2 mile South of the Serinidad turn off, and about 1/4 mile North of the Mulege Pemex that's on Hwy #1.

Nowadays we order the same thing every time because there's no reason to stray because they do it best- the Mexican Combination. All-TIME favorite Chili Rellenos!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 07:17 AM

that is hilarious. we do the same thing mostly everywhere we actually sit down to eat. if we can't decide, the Mexi-combo is the choice. never been disappointed yet. how can they screw up a national dish?

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 08:57 AM

It's been years since I've been there. Think I'll give it a try next time down.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 04:07 PM

Too many holes in the palapa roof in the old location. It was time!:rolleyes::lol:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2010 at 06:26 PM

Oladulce,

Had a great breakfast there in October. Much better setup, don't you think?

Saul is a gracious host!

Ken
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 04:48 PM

They also have an internet cafe inside, if you eat there the internet is free. The new place has a lot more class, great spot to stop and enjoy a good meal.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 07:09 PM

Be carefull pf the margaritas. It came in a schooner mug and the mixer associated strong with good, and it was extra good.

Dorado Don
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 09:18 AM
You can't say enough good things about this place-

Now owned and run by Hugo Martinez (Saul moved to La Paz), the computer repair guy so many of us have used for a couple of years now. The restaurant is totally WiFi'ed and the food is great because the La Palapa employees moved with the name. They are in the process of installing windows to enclose the entire space.

Things are expensive, but at least we get a free trip around the sun once a year
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana
Now owned and run by Hugo Martinez (Saul moved to La Paz), the computer repair guy so many of us have used for a couple of years now. The restaurant is totally WiFi'ed and the food is great because the La Palapa employees moved with the name. They are in the process of installing windows to enclose the entire space.

Thanks for the info on the new owner!

Ken
Barbarosa
Nomad

Mood: "On th' road again..."

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CasaManzana
Now owned and run by Hugo Martinez . The restaurant is totally WiFi'ed and the food is great because the La Palapa employees moved with the name. They are in the process of installing windows to enclose the entire space.

This sounds like a great tip. We're only going to be in Mulege one night (at Serenidad) and I was thinking of just eating there (kinida course of least resistance).

I assume Jungle Jim's is still around (for drinks / partying).

And what about that palapa on the other side of the river right at the mouth. May be too small for our big crowd but I've really loved that place.

TIA for any and all comments.

Barbarosa
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 05:23 PM

If it's the weekend when you're at Serenidad, you shouldn't miss the pig roast. Otherwise, head out and explore. Personally, if I had but one night there, I'd head out to Ray's.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 07:28 PM
El Patron

They could fit you in.

Barbarosa
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
They could fit you in.

Hmmm, well I only kinda sorta recognize it. (It's been quite awhile and I think maybe it's changed a bit.) That's the place on the north side of the river right at the mouth, right?

Barbarosa
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 09:04 PM

didnt that used to be amaja's===clam's o.k. I will go to sleep!!! his brother is sergio and hangs out at la playita 's panga shack
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 09:09 PM

it's been el patron as long as i've known it...maybe a decade or so ago...google it..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
didnt that used to be amaja's===clam's o.k. I will go to sleep!!! his brother is sergio and hangs out at la playita 's panga shack

It was Almeja's 20 years ago or so. Not sure if the owners are the same, but the food has always been the same, good.

Red beard,

Yes, north side all the way to the Sea of Cortez

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by tripledigitken]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 06:53 AM

The first time I was there it was Almejas. Had the largest and best prepared plate of mariscos ever. Since then the plate is half the size and not as well prepared or presented. Haven't been back for some 10 years or so. But have heard it is very good.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 07:37 AM

thank's tripledigken, I thought I was losing it,,,wait Ive never had...still lost in baja land.......and that's a good thing!! funny I would remember the name after sooo many year's.....maybe cause I knew of a resteraunt named bearded clam!!!!!
Barbarosa
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
The first time I was there it was Almejas. Had the largest and best prepared plate of mariscos ever. Since then the plate is half the size and not as well prepared or presented. Haven't been back for some 10 years or so. But have heard it is very good.

For me it's been at least 6 years. I sure don't remember all that landscaping. At least not from all the earlier times.

Barbarosa
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 08:36 AM

it was "landscaped" by a couple of storms, most recently jimena...it's been cleaned up nicely now.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.