BajaNomad

El Rosario

bajaguy - 1-16-2011 at 01:45 PM

Looking for suggestions on locations for dinner and breakfast along with your favorite menu items for each.

woody with a view - 1-16-2011 at 01:52 PM

stick with the mexican combo. el rosario doesn't have the best food stands anymore. pick one of the smaller places and report back. leave mama's to the memory bank.....

breakfast at Ed's starbucks place is decent with american prices. the fresh squeezed oj is awesome!

bajaguy - 1-16-2011 at 02:14 PM

Thanks, Woody!!!!

motoged - 1-16-2011 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
breakfast at Ed's starbucks place is decent with american prices. the fresh squeezed oj is awesome!

Ed's place, BAJA's BEST, is a good place...visit his goats in his back yard:D

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30540

David K - 1-16-2011 at 02:19 PM

Baja's Best Restaurant, located on the far end of town (if heading south) about 2 miles from Pemex Baja Cactus. Breakfast or dinner good. Best chorizo and egg breakfast burritos, pancakes, etc. for breakfast. Sea food for dinner may be lobster and ask to have it 'Ed's Way'. Most recent dinner there last May (photos in trip report).

Mama Espinoza's, located next door to Baja Cactus Motel (just south of Pemex before the sharp left curve). Service, prices and food greatly improved about 2 years ago... Go to say you have been there with its Baja history and off road flavor... Maybe meet Mama herself now over 100 years old. Most recent breakfast there last May and July. '09 (photos).

Tacos Mision for lunch or dinner.... tacos, burritos and stuffed baked potatoes. Hugo Lopez is the owner and is the artist and he shows his paintings off there.

La Bocana Beach Restaurant (Sinahi Motel): Once very good... three times now they struck out... Too bad, because the owner 'Primo' is a very interesting fellow to visit with. He bought the motel behind the restaurant and the restaurant hasn't been the same.

A buffet style restaurant is located at the bus station 'El Grullense'.

There are several taco stands, a hot dog stand, pizza stand and on the map below (made in 2006), I highlighted most of them... (since then some have closed, opened, or changed names:

[Edited on 1-16-2011 by David K]

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-16-2011 at 02:43 PM

As far as I am concerned Mama Espinoza's Restaurant has the best food bar none. Of course I am bias and rightfully so. Tell them David sent you and also tell the girls not to despair, David M. will be there the second week of March to play his guitar and sing in the kitchen. Tell Roli that you would like to say hello to Mama. If she's awake they will take you to see her. Tell her that her David asked you to tell her for me that I love her and make sure to get some pictures with her and post them here.

Mama's

bajaguy - 1-16-2011 at 02:51 PM

David........we will be in El Rosario the afternoon of March 14th......when are you headed down????

woody with a view - 1-16-2011 at 03:10 PM

if you gotta ask, you probably should go in back!:light:

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-16-2011 at 03:38 PM

Hi Terry, I'll be there on or about March 8th and will be going back on or about the 21st. I hope to see you when you pass through. I will be spending a few days at the ranch with my brother Sany doing some exploring. I will try to make it back by the 14th so I can meet you. If you hear someone singing rancheras badly and playing the guitar badly in the kitchen you'll know I'm there. If not ask the girls or Gerardo if David is there and they will come and get me if I'm there.

David

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
David........we will be in El Rosario the afternoon of March 14th......when are you headed down????

Baja Cactus

bajaguy - 1-16-2011 at 03:43 PM

David.........we will be staying at the Baja Cactus on the 14th, 2011 red Dodge Ram 2500 with a camper shell, NV plates.

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-16-2011 at 03:48 PM

Terry If you see a black Ford Ranger with camper shell and CA plates parked at Mama's motel you'll know I'm there. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. See you then!

David

beachbum1A - 1-16-2011 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
2011 red Dodge Ram 2500 with a camper shell, NV plates.

Make that a Maroon Dodge Ram 2500 and BRAND NEW too.

Actually......

bajaguy - 1-16-2011 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum1A
Quote:
2011 red Dodge Ram 2500 with a camper shell, NV plates.

Make that a Maroon Dodge Ram 2500 and BRAND NEW too.

It's....Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat.... :lol:

Like this........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuPRQtfSMRE

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by bajaguy]

Mama's

thefishaholic - 1-17-2011 at 08:36 AM

We went thru Rosario in Dec and after trying 3 other times Mama's had fresh Lobster.
The "familiar" , over 5 lbs.OMG
Cooked perfectly, even the legs!
We couldn't eat it all.
Previous visits we had the Chile Rellenos and they were good also.

Oh and make sure you write your hotel name and room number on your hand be causethe margy's cause memory loss.:spingrin:

Santiago - 1-17-2011 at 08:59 AM

BG: I've over-nighted a bunch of times in El Rosario and have come to the following conclusions:
Breakfast at Ed's (Baja's Best). Coffee is reliably good and it's a great place for a bowl of fresh fruit - Ed's a big believer in starting the day with good BM and I heartily agree. You will dine with Fox News in the background which may or may not cast a pall over the festivities.
Dinner: this is a tough one; Mama's is a crap shoot and you'll pay for it one way or another. I've had soup so salty as to be inedible but then followed by cheese enchiladas that will put you in that happy place they're so good. I've had service noticeably churlly but treated like royalty the next time. Go figure. I have gone to El Grullense (#16 on DK's map) twice and both times very good - even SWMBO liked it which is no small thing.
Good luck.

BooJumMan - 1-17-2011 at 09:00 PM

I love Mama Espinoza's more than anything. The beans, tortillas and salsa all taste great. I get huevo's ranchero's in the morning and fish taco's at night. Never been to Baja's Best, but I arrange to stop at Mama Espinoza's whenever going through El Rosario! :)

Bajamatic - 1-18-2011 at 11:15 AM

La Pasadita has some of the best fish and shrimp tacos I can recall. and the homemade hot sauce is EPIC.

David K - 1-18-2011 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
La Pasadita has some of the best fish and shrimp tacos I can recall. and the homemade hot sauce is EPIC.

Where? Can you find its location on my map... I would like to try it! Thanks!

Bajamatic - 1-18-2011 at 01:31 PM

here you go:

[url=maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=30%C2%B0+4'18.60%22N,+115%C2%B042'33.36%22W&sll=30.059381,-115.724144&am p;sspn=0.001198,0.001725&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=30.071688,-115.709091&panoid=SGtzfJbdC8ZdPypZRXDENw&cbp=12,141.92,,0,5&l l=30.071429,-115.708791&spn=0.002498,0.003449&z=18]LA PASADITA[/url]

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by Bajamatic]

rts551 - 1-18-2011 at 01:34 PM

Does Ed, at Baja's Best still sit there and smoke while you try to eat?

DianaT - 1-18-2011 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

He and his family and friends did last time we were there---that was a few years ago and ONE of the reasons we don't go back.

elgatoloco - 1-18-2011 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

He and his family and friends did last time we were there---that was a few years ago and ONE of the reasons we don't go back.

We just ask if they can refrain until we are gone. Works everytime.

David K - 1-18-2011 at 03:59 PM

Quote:

No (at least not the last few times)... it was a few years ago when he smoked at one of the tables (as others do at Mexican restaurants) and that the kitty would rub against your leg...

This was back when it was like you were eating in Ed's home (which you sort of are)... You get to catch up on headline events because he does have Fox News on his satellite TV.

Since Ed did a remodel of the place (2008/9) and added the bar, the bird by the door is gone and no more animals inside the restaurant... Ed also has been in the kitchen or behind the bar cooking or mixing the last few times we have been there.

Of course things may change when you visit... we can only base stuff on what we find and when others take time to report in.

If eating in someone's home that have pets is a problem, then you may want to stick to regular hotels and fancy restaurants and avoid the local atmosphere of 'casual Baja'. I have eaten in many Baja stops along the old and new roads... with dirt floors and chickens walking about. I have never been sick from any of these places.

If a puppy or cat walking around the floor where you eat is an issue (and I can undersatnd why), then don't be so surprised or upset that some motels would prefer your animal stay out of the rooms... in consideration of others who would object to that.

Enjoy yourselves and learn to adapt to local conditions... Experincing different styles is part of traveling.

David K - 1-18-2011 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
here you go:

[url=maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=30%C2%B0+4'18.60%22N,+115%C2%B042'33.36%22W&sll=30.059381,-115.724144&am p;sspn=0.001198,0.001725&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=30.071688,-115.709091&panoid=SGtzfJbdC8ZdPypZRXDENw&cbp=12,141.92,,0,5&l l=30.071429,-115.708791&spn=0.002498,0.003449&z=18]LA PASADITA[/url]

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by Bajamatic]

Okay... I can see Jugo's Tacos Mision (and his silver Cherokee) just down the highway on your street view image, looking east (southbound) on Hwy. 1.

That puts your place between #34 and #36 (Tacos Mision) on my map... same side as #34.

Thanks!

(PS I wonder if that is a new name for #34 'Taqueria Gonzalez' or it is just down from there?)

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by David K]

Bajahowodd - 1-18-2011 at 04:09 PM

For me, it's a trifecta. Smoke, Fox News and resin furniture.

David K - 1-18-2011 at 04:11 PM

:light::lol::rolleyes:

rts551 - 1-18-2011 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
For me, it's a trifecta. Smoke, Fox News and resin furniture.

You forgot the animal hair that makes the baja experience...or so the baja expert says

David K - 1-18-2011 at 04:15 PM

Now Ralph... not a Baja expert... but maybe one who can not complain at the way locals live in Mexico 'expert'.

PS you're welcome.

rts551 - 1-18-2011 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Now Ralph... not a Baja expert... but maybe one who can not complain at the way locals live in Mexico 'expert'.

PS you're welcome.

Now David. Not all Locals. Most Mexicans I know don't let their animals in the house (and I live here). But then again Ed is not Mexican, is he.

sanquintinsince73 - 1-18-2011 at 04:29 PM

I agree with DK. I too have eaten in places with dirt floors and chickens running about. I think that is part of the Baja charm/experience. Baja is what it is, those who don't like it can check in at the Waldorf.

chicken charm

mtgoat666 - 1-18-2011 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
I agree with DK. I too have eaten in places with dirt floors and chickens running about. I think that is part of the Baja charm/experience. Baja is what it is, those who don't like it can check in at the Waldorf.

i have seen the charming chickens running around outdoors, but not inside. which restaurants have charming indoor chickens?

where is the waldorf? i might have to try it.

sanquintinsince73 - 1-18-2011 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73

i have seen the charming chickens running around outdoors, but not inside. which restaurants have charming indoor chickens?

where is the waldorf? i might have to try it.

Go back to the "Dark Side" dude.

Bajamatic - 1-18-2011 at 04:46 PM

since this thread has already been hijacked.... Hey SQ73 - where's the good eats in San Quintin? Last week we were considering making a run for SQ on our way north and posting up in a hotel/watering hole for the night. What would be your recommendation for a spot like that so next time we have the right intel before we try it??

David K - 1-18-2011 at 04:49 PM

It is really an attitude thing... There are just some people who like to complain and there are others who want to enjoy life and not start a peeing match with everyone for the drama they seem to need.

DianaT - 1-18-2011 at 05:00 PM

Faux News? North or south of the border---that does it for us. We walk out if they will not change it. We ask politely and many places are not even aware of what they have on the TV and will change it. Just our personal choice, the same as we boycott and write letters to the sponsors of some of their shows.

And as far as restaurants and Mexican homes go, for the most part, the ones we have been in are super clean, even ones with dirt floors. Tis a different stories with some ex-pats.

[Edited on 1-19-2011 by DianaT]

Bajamatic - 1-18-2011 at 05:03 PM

few gringos know how to effectively sweep dirt floors. It always amazes me to see a super clean, raked dirt floor that looks clean enough to eat off of.

DianaT - 1-18-2011 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
few gringos know how to effectively sweep dirt floors. It always amazes me to see a super clean, raked dirt floor that looks clean enough to eat off of.

Many, many years ago, the fanciest place in Palanque had a dirt floor, and it was really difficult at first to realize it was dirt! It was so clean. Great food, great place and from the rain forest that was left at that time, a very large rodent ran across the floor with a waiter close behind, and there was a monkey on the thatched roof---that is ambiance!

Jardines de Baja

Bajahowodd - 1-18-2011 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
since this thread has already been hijacked.... Hey SQ73 - where's the good eats in San Quintin? Last week we were considering making a run for SQ on our way north and posting up in a hotel/watering hole for the night. What would be your recommendation for a spot like that so next time we have the right intel before we try it??

Quaint family run hotel with gorgeous grounds. Their restaurant next door is probably the best in the entire area.

Bajamatic - 1-18-2011 at 05:30 PM

thanks..baja how odd.

sanquintinsince73 - 1-18-2011 at 05:52 PM

Didn't mean to start an argument. I just get a little annoyed when people criticize the way some people live or do business in Baja. It is what it is and we've adapted to the way of life their. I can understand someone wanting 1 or 2 star service but this is Baja.

sanquintinsince73 - 1-18-2011 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

Quaint family run hotel with gorgeous grounds. Their restaurant next door is probably the best in the entire area.

Totally agree....and if you want tacos, I highly recommend "Tacos los Poblanos". Damn they are awesome !!

Bajamatic - 1-18-2011 at 06:23 PM

Where is tacos los poblanos? And what's the story with all the mariscos stands on the east side of the 1? Are those legit?

sanquintinsince73 - 1-18-2011 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Where is tacos los poblanos? And what's the story with all the mariscos stands on the east side of the 1? Are those legit?

I know where Los Poblanos is but maybe someone can give you better directions than me. As far as the "Marisco" stands on the east side of the road, I've never been and I've never paid for mariscos in San Quintin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiOlLRQiNw4

woody with a view - 1-18-2011 at 07:35 PM

the los poblanos i know of is in maneadero. if you want REALLY good grub. check out the taco stand in front of the store in catavina. lengua tacos don't get better. then, when you get to SQ there is a place with THE BEST SHRIMP TACOS on the west coast (i've never had one on the gulf, so i can't speak to that!) on the left, going north, where the park is at. the park is 3-4 feet below street level on that side of the street ONLY. they spell shrimp SRHIMP but you can't see it until you make the uturn there, or go one further before turning around. it is on the corner. 5x5 shack with 3-4 tables and chairs along side. there is also a pemex across the street on the same side. look for the pemex and the sunken park on the same side of the street, to the south side of the intersection. the first time you will have to back track, only the first time!!!!

thank me later....

David K - 1-19-2011 at 12:22 AM

If all of us Nomads could remember to take a photo, write the name, where it is... even GPS it... we could have a great collection of taco stand locations as well as sit down indoor restaurants in Baja... Help the businesses that make the best food stay in business!

Tom Miller wrote a little book in the '70's called Eating Your Way Through Baja...

sanquintinsince73 - 1-19-2011 at 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
the los poblanos i know of is in maneadero. if you want REALLY good grub. check out the taco stand in front of the store in catavina. lengua tacos don't get better. then, when you get to SQ there is a place with THE BEST SHRIMP TACOS on the west coast (i've never had one on the gulf, so i can't speak to that!) on the left, going north, where the park is at. the park is 3-4 feet below street level on that side of the street ONLY. they spell shrimp SRHIMP but you can't see it until you make the uturn there, or go one further before turning around. it is on the corner. 5x5 shack with 3-4 tables and chairs along side. there is also a pemex across the street on the same side. look for the pemex and the sunken park on the same side of the street, to the south side of the intersection. the first time you will have to back track, only the first time!!!!

thank me later....

I first ate at that stand about 25 years ago. You would pay for your fish tacos in advance and they would hand you the corresponding amount of tickets to give to the cooks. Didn't know that they sell shrimp tacos now. I last ate there many years ago due to the low quality of the food. I guess I am kinda spoiled because my wife is from Culiacan Sinaloa and raised in Mazatlan. She's taught me how to prepare all types of seafood tacos, cocteles and what not.

woody with a view - 1-19-2011 at 06:51 AM

it's probably not as good as you make 'em, but it is required eating for us on the way home, like this coming monday around 2pm.....

Bajamatic - 1-19-2011 at 12:03 PM

nice