Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: El Rosario
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 01:45 PM
El Rosario

Looking for suggestions on locations for dinner and breakfast along with your favorite menu items for each.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 01:52 PM

stick with the mexican combo. el rosario doesn't have the best food stands anymore. pick one of the smaller places and report back. leave mama's to the memory bank.....

breakfast at Ed's starbucks place is decent with american prices. the fresh squeezed oj is awesome!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 02:14 PM

Thanks, Woody!!!!

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
breakfast at Ed's starbucks place is decent with american prices. the fresh squeezed oj is awesome!

Ed's place, BAJA's BEST, is a good place...visit his goats in his back yard:D

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30540

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 02:19 PM

Baja's Best Restaurant, located on the far end of town (if heading south) about 2 miles from Pemex Baja Cactus. Breakfast or dinner good. Best chorizo and egg breakfast burritos, pancakes, etc. for breakfast. Sea food for dinner may be lobster and ask to have it 'Ed's Way'. Most recent dinner there last May (photos in trip report).

Mama Espinoza's, located next door to Baja Cactus Motel (just south of Pemex before the sharp left curve). Service, prices and food greatly improved about 2 years ago... Go to say you have been there with its Baja history and off road flavor... Maybe meet Mama herself now over 100 years old. Most recent breakfast there last May and July. '09 (photos).

Tacos Mision for lunch or dinner.... tacos, burritos and stuffed baked potatoes. Hugo Lopez is the owner and is the artist and he shows his paintings off there.

La Bocana Beach Restaurant (Sinahi Motel): Once very good... three times now they struck out... Too bad, because the owner 'Primo' is a very interesting fellow to visit with. He bought the motel behind the restaurant and the restaurant hasn't been the same.

A buffet style restaurant is located at the bus station 'El Grullense'.

There are several taco stands, a hot dog stand, pizza stand and on the map below (made in 2006), I highlighted most of them... (since then some have closed, opened, or changed names:

[Edited on 1-16-2011 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 02:43 PM

As far as I am concerned Mama Espinoza's Restaurant has the best food bar none. Of course I am bias and rightfully so. Tell them David sent you and also tell the girls not to despair, David M. will be there the second week of March to play his guitar and sing in the kitchen. Tell Roli that you would like to say hello to Mama. If she's awake they will take you to see her. Tell her that her David asked you to tell her for me that I love her and make sure to get some pictures with her and post them here.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 02:51 PM
Mama's

David........we will be in El Rosario the afternoon of March 14th......when are you headed down????

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 03:10 PM

if you gotta ask, you probably should go in back!:light:

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 03:38 PM

Hi Terry, I'll be there on or about March 8th and will be going back on or about the 21st. I hope to see you when you pass through. I will be spending a few days at the ranch with my brother Sany doing some exploring. I will try to make it back by the 14th so I can meet you. If you hear someone singing rancheras badly and playing the guitar badly in the kitchen you'll know I'm there. If not ask the girls or Gerardo if David is there and they will come and get me if I'm there.

David

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
David........we will be in El Rosario the afternoon of March 14th......when are you headed down????

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 03:43 PM
Baja Cactus

David.........we will be staying at the Baja Cactus on the 14th, 2011 red Dodge Ram 2500 with a camper shell, NV plates.

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 03:48 PM

Terry If you see a black Ford Ranger with camper shell and CA plates parked at Mama's motel you'll know I'm there. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. See you then!

David

beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
2011 red Dodge Ram 2500 with a camper shell, NV plates.

Make that a Maroon Dodge Ram 2500 and BRAND NEW too.

Just do it!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 05:46 PM
Actually......

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum1A
Quote:
2011 red Dodge Ram 2500 with a camper shell, NV plates.

Make that a Maroon Dodge Ram 2500 and BRAND NEW too.

It's....Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat.... :lol:

Like this........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuPRQtfSMRE

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by bajaguy]

thefishaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 08:36 AM
Mama's

We went thru Rosario in Dec and after trying 3 other times Mama's had fresh Lobster.
The "familiar" , over 5 lbs.OMG
Cooked perfectly, even the legs!
We couldn't eat it all.
Previous visits we had the Chile Rellenos and they were good also.

Oh and make sure you write your hotel name and room number on your hand be causethe margy's cause memory loss.:spingrin:
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 08:59 AM

BG: I've over-nighted a bunch of times in El Rosario and have come to the following conclusions:
Breakfast at Ed's (Baja's Best). Coffee is reliably good and it's a great place for a bowl of fresh fruit - Ed's a big believer in starting the day with good BM and I heartily agree. You will dine with Fox News in the background which may or may not cast a pall over the festivities.
Dinner: this is a tough one; Mama's is a crap shoot and you'll pay for it one way or another. I've had soup so salty as to be inedible but then followed by cheese enchiladas that will put you in that happy place they're so good. I've had service noticeably churlly but treated like royalty the next time. Go figure. I have gone to El Grullense (#16 on DK's map) twice and both times very good - even SWMBO liked it which is no small thing.
Good luck.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2011 at 09:00 PM

I love Mama Espinoza's more than anything. The beans, tortillas and salsa all taste great. I get huevo's ranchero's in the morning and fish taco's at night. Never been to Baja's Best, but I arrange to stop at Mama Espinoza's whenever going through El Rosario! :)
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 11:15 AM

La Pasadita has some of the best fish and shrimp tacos I can recall. and the homemade hot sauce is EPIC.

yuletide
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
La Pasadita has some of the best fish and shrimp tacos I can recall. and the homemade hot sauce is EPIC.

Where? Can you find its location on my map... I would like to try it! Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 01:31 PM

here you go:

[url=maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=30%C2%B0+4'18.60%22N,+115%C2%B042'33.36%22W&sll=30.059381,-115.724144&am p;sspn=0.001198,0.001725&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=30.071688,-115.709091&panoid=SGtzfJbdC8ZdPypZRXDENw&cbp=12,141.92,,0,5&l l=30.071429,-115.708791&spn=0.002498,0.003449&z=18]LA PASADITA[/url]

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2011 at 01:34 PM

Does Ed, at Baja's Best still sit there and smoke while you try to eat?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.