BajaNomad

Asuncion to Comondu...Magical Mystery Tour

Pages:  1  

shari - 1-20-2011 at 09:06 AM

WARNING; what started out to be a little trip report sort of turned into a detailed account of a most enchanting sojourn into a mystical canyon…I wanted to do justice to this captivating area that so moved me…so crack a beer or get a coffee before you read this. Hard to believe we fit it all in in 3 days! I'll present this in 4 parts...first part is to San Juanico.

Part 1

Juan and I decided to take a few days off for a little sojourn up into the sierra for some R&R. First, we wanted to check up on Mike & Don Kay who had headed towards San Ignacio Lagoon. We found him there in the first camp after he’d had a difficult day keeping Don Kay on his feet. As usual, they are a bit hit with the kids.

After a short visit to drop off some supplies and to chat with some of Juan’s old amigos, we set out on the coast road through the salt flats towards San Juanico.

I highly recommend NOT taking this long, poor road. The flats aren’t too bad but the road from El Batequi, Cadeje and then down to San Juanico was terrible…very very long, rough and rocky.

We arrived in San Juanico at sunset. The town beach is beautiful but the place wasn’t at all like I’d imagined it. For some reason, I thought it was a kind of surf camp with some gringo houses. I was not prepared for the sight of so MANY real fancy big homes. It was kinda neat to drive around and gawk at all the different designs, colours and unique structures. The big spreads in town had walls around them and were not photographicable...is that a word? In the earl evening it was like a ghost town…nobody on the streets, most houses closed up, no little Mexican restaurant to eat in.

We stayed in the 7 Puntas Hotel for 300 pesos a night which was a clean, small square room with a bed, table and chair…absolutely no charm of any kind and NO dogs. Luckily our mutt Café is good at sleeping outside the door or in the truck. There is only 12 volt power there.

We ate at a gringo style restaurant El Burro which had a really aggravatingly loud generator running all day and night that permeated the walls of the hotel as well. It was a trendy place with lots of neat plants and nick knacks to look at and the food was fine.

I loved these chairs and bench design of cow hide...gonna see if some rancher can make me some too.

At dawn, to escape the rumble of that generator, we drove out to investigate all the points and more fancy houses. Thankfully, there were some surf camp type places out that way too. Here are some of the surf shacks on the point.

We found a wonderful campfire burning brightly which we adopted until the sun rose and warmed the coast.

I really wanted to look up Ola Dulce and wondered which place might be hers and where Mike & Don Kay would shack up…but we were anxious to head up into the Sierras.

TO BE CONTINUED LATER

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by shari]

desertcpl - 1-20-2011 at 09:21 AM

very nice, i cant believe those homes

David K - 1-20-2011 at 09:33 AM

Thank you!

shari - 1-20-2011 at 09:37 AM

PART II

Again we chose the wrong road and ended up taking another rough road up to La Purisima.....saw some neat places though like Cadeje.

La Purisima is pretty spectacular....there sure is alot of visual pollution with all the political banners splattered everywhere. We talked to locals about pressuring politicians to clean up their mess after the election.

We drove up to San Ysidro and marveled at the water canal system and beautiful fertile valleys full of huertas.

We continued further up to Cambuchi where we saw people making petates. We stopped to enquire about them and enjoyed meeting the family. As is the custom, the petates weren’t for sale…the ones already made were encargos…ordered by someone else. We chatted for a good while about la gripa, los politicos, economicos, perros etc. and I commented on the colour of all their eyes and that they looked like Arce’s and they laughed and told me they were all Arce’s!!! Well MAYBE they might be able to sell a couple petates and they sent a boy to get his uncle. After more chatting, he agreed to sell a couple to us for 150 pesos each.We gave him 200 each and he was very very happy and promised to somehow send them up a puppy as their dog had just got run over…so anyone going that way, please take a puppy to them!! So we loaded them aboard the Toyota…Café was happy to have some shade and lay down inside the rolled up petates.

We asked directions and about road conditions to Comondu and they told us to make sure to buy some of their homemade wine there that was famous and we were on our way once again.

David K - 1-20-2011 at 09:41 AM

Oh great!!:yes:

shari - 1-20-2011 at 09:59 AM

PART III Comondu area

Winding our way up a palm lined arroyo in a very narrow copper coloured canyon, we finally arrived at Comondu and drove out to the mission just as the bells were ringing for the misa.

The whole canyon is an enchanting, mystical place of overwhelming peace & tranquility…gardens and orchards bursting with colourful fruit and vegetables. The fair skinned, blue and green eyed people were soft spoken and gentle… reflecting their place.

That wonderful quiet was what I had been seeking and we looked around for a place to sleep…no generator there! As usual the first people we asked said there were no cuartos for rent there….maybe in San Jose del Comondu where we had just come from. Maybe we could bunk down in this old jail house?

this village had so many interesting doors.

Then I spotted some rustic palm trunk chairs and planters outside a house and asked Juan to stop there. The carver wasn’t home but I found out that he did sell his pieces and would be home in a bit.

I was determined to buy some of them so asked another woman about a room. Maybe La Negrita might rent one so I set out to find her. I timidly knocked on a weathered old door calling out buenos tardes and heard movement followed by a woman peeking out her curtain. Sure enough she had a nice little block room with a bed, table and chair and bathroom but no hot water for 150 pesos. I was ecstatic and unpacked, opened the curtain so I could take in the view of the ruins, horses and mules, ancient casas surrounded by steep ochre canyon walls. I couldn’t have been happier. It is the yellow cuarto behind the mules.

Dona Negrita invited me into her old adobe casa and as is the custom, we had a long chat about where we came from and who our relatives were. Being married to an Arce certainly has it’s advantages in the sierra!

When I asked her about the local wine, she disappeared into her cocina and returned with a little glass of vino anejo de granada, aged pomogranate wine that her son makes who was taught by his father who inherited the recipe from his ancestors. It was 3 years old and was incredibly rich. It appears that most people make wine there from grapes and tuna cactus fruit too. We ended up doing a rancho style wine tasting tour there as everyone we talked to made their own wine and of course we ended up buying several bottles by the time we left. The prices were all 100 pesos a bottle or 400 for a gallon.

The woman all made nice macramé things like hanging planters, tables and chairs as well as baskets. I ended up also buying a chair and a rustic lamp of cactus wood and macramé lampshade from our hostess as well as a gallon of pomegranate wine.

While Juan took a much needed siesta, I wandered around the village at sunset absorbed in the ruins, my imagination running wild with visions of how beautiful it must have been at one time. There was so much history here…so many stories and incredible images to photograph. I had only begun to scratch the surface of this mysterious paradise but the feel, smell and beauty of it penetrated my soul.

I stopped to chat with some ancianos sitting on the curb and learned more about the history of the place as they admired my dog. Everyone was keen to engage in long conversation…they had the time and rarely got a chance to talk to outsiders. Everyone seemed sad that the village was in ruins and talked about how it was in times past and how it is now forgotten by the politicians who don’t bother to fix the roads or help restore the historical buildings.

For dinner, we went to the lady’s home across from the little store and sat at her dining room table where she served local machaca with beans and cheese she made….delicious! and she prepared me a special herbal tea for my gripa which calmed my cough.

The political candidates of the area had just finished eating there as well and after taking their leave, the talk turned to how the politicians always made so many empty promises. I was fascinated by all the ruins in the pueblo and the cook’s brother told us all about how they were made and which roof designs lasted longer. I learned a lot and went back in the morning to photograph what he had taught me. He explained how the buildings here were so unique having 3 different arch designs which was unusual.

The palm carver lived a couple doors down from our room so I sauntered over to visit him after dinner. He told us some of the pieces were available and showed us the beautiful chairs he was making for someone who ordered them and he hoped he would come soon to pick them up. He was happy to sell us some planters and a chair and he ended up giving us the first piece he ever made! I promised him I would send him more customers so he’d better get busy and make more. The planters ranged from 100-300 pesos and the chairs were 250-350 pesos depending on the size and design. He also made wine which seemed to sell more than his furniture!

These folks have very little income and the pueblo has been largely forgotten. There is no form of communication except radio but they do have 110 electricity and inexhaustible amount of fresh water. There is a telephone in the next village in case of an emergency. They grow all their own fruit and vegetables but are so far from market, they cant sell their goods. They comment on how sometimes 2 or 3 vehicles a week will drive past to see the mission…some wave but rarely stop.

Upon hearing that, my mind began to form a plan to help them. If I could somehow get the word out to get people to stop, then like we did, visitors would certainly stay the night, eat, sleep and buy their handmade goods and produce. In 24 hours, we spent over 2,000 pesos there spread among various families. This place has moved me. I envision what could be done here…a restored historical village…revitalization could provide a healthy future for the inhabitants who don’t want to leave their place in search of work. Many young folks who left to study couldn’t cope with the busy cities, the noise, traffic and loneliness for lack of family so returned home to barely survive on their gardens, goats and things they make with their hands to sell to the odd passerby.

Upon returning home, our hostess offered a nightcap of another glass of wine and we stood in the twilight discussing whatever came to mind. Vlademir offered to show us the cave painting the next morning and finally I had to excuse myself exhausted from the day’s journey. We said our good nights and I took a last breath of silence before entering our room…a silence so deep and penetrating…only broken by the sound of a braying burro which brought a smile to my face. The night was totally silent…not a car passed, nor music blared, not even a dog barked…only the occasional neighing of our neighboring horses, mules and burros…I slept deeply with a slight grin on my face…dreaming of adobe houses.

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by shari]

shari - 1-20-2011 at 10:06 AM

PART 4 Cave Paintings

The next morning, I took coffee at the restaurant casa where the beans had been freshly roasted and ground and fresh goat milk added to the best cup of coffee I’d ever had.
We drove to where we would climb up to a large rock face which held dozens of figures. Sadly, most have deteriorated as they are exposed to the elements but still worth seeing. My favorite was a whale with what looked like dolphins following it and a strange rotund figure with horns. I picked a mandarin off a heavily laden tree on the trail next to the stream that was the sweetest, most succulent fruit I had ever tasted. I couldn’t resist stealing a few more!

We said our goodbyes to our hosts with a promise to send them more guests and some suggestions on how they could increase their income by simply painting…room for rent on the wall and making sure to offer their visitors wine, showing them their macrames and offering to guide them to the cave paintings. I explained if they stay the night, most people will be enchanted with the place and buy something there.

On our way out of town, we stopped at a Tecate deposito and ended up in another long winded conversation about the past and future and were shown the good that that family produces as well and tasted and bought more wine. This family was preparing for tourism and would also rent rooms and palapa with catres which are like cots and had hot showers and would provide meals as well. They also had horses and burros for hire and told us of another secret cave painting site.

There is so much more to these little pueblos than first meets the eye to visitors who just drive through them. San Miguel de Comondu captured my heart and imagination and I will return to drink in the delicious silence of that enchanting canyon.

The hardest part was leaving that paradise and returning to the hustle and bustle of the highway and cities with all the noise and commotion….I long to be back smiling at the braying of the burro.

jorgie - 1-20-2011 at 10:09 AM

DK , we need a map maybe , much thanks

mulegemichael - 1-20-2011 at 10:33 AM

yeah, a map would be great...last year we got lost and never found the place...we got to la purisma but then the road,(i use the term loosely), just seemed to peter out...a map please, dk.

shari - 1-20-2011 at 10:39 AM

the road from La Purisima to comondu pretty much no longer exists...maybe on a dirt bike or burro but we were told we had to go back down to Pancho Villa and ask directions there cause you have to sort of backtrack around and get on another paved road to get back up the other canyon to Comondu...a pain but well worth it in the end. I think it was paved all but maybe 10 km at the end and not bad at all...definatey off the beaten path....

if you go there, make sure to buy lots of wine er sherry or whatever that golden nectar is....I now wish I'd have bought twice as much.

bbbait - 1-20-2011 at 10:48 AM

Great report and very eloquently put together! Sounds very inviting, thank you!

TMW - 1-20-2011 at 10:49 AM

Excellent, thanks.

BornFisher - 1-20-2011 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for that.

boe4fun - 1-20-2011 at 11:51 AM

Beautiful Shari, We visited La Purisima about 6 years ago to cast/measure and then 2 weeks later to deliver a Syme Prosthesis (for an ankle disarticulation amputation) on a 91 year old lady. Three years later we had to remake it (with newer and stronger materials we had available then). The original prosthesis had cracked and broken just above the ankle and the cosmetic cover on the foot would crumble into your hands. The locals had drilled holes above and below the break and used woven rawhide strips to hold the 2 sections together. The foot was crumbling because the old gal had been GOING DOWN TO THE RIVER TO WASH THEIR CLOTHES about twice a week, and the water rotted the rubber on the cover! Talk about one tough gal! It's such a rare treat to visit small pueblos like these and meet the local folks.

Did you want maps???

David K - 1-20-2011 at 11:54 AM

2007 AAA:

Big View:

Closer:

2003 topo:

1962:

1941:

Before the Transpeninsular Highway was built, Comondu was on the main road to La Paz. In 1972, it was bi-passed when the route was changed to go through Loreto.

1930:

shari - 1-20-2011 at 12:07 PM

that is interesting David that Comondu used to be on the main road...makes sense now...fascinating how the new highway in 1973 opened up a new life for many places and closed the door on other pueblos when it changed the main route.

thanks for the nice comments everyone...anyone going up can U2U me or more detailed info and names.

Mexitron - 1-20-2011 at 12:09 PM

What a great story of your trip Shari...can't wait to visit!

jorgie - 1-20-2011 at 12:12 PM

thanks David

David K - 1-20-2011 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
that is interesting David that Comondu used to be on the main road...makes sense now...fascinating how the new highway in 1973 opened up a new life for many places and closed the door on other pueblos when it changed the main route.

thanks for the nice comments everyone...anyone going up can U2U me or more detailed info and names.

Yes, and that is how I got to see Comondu (as a kid) in 1966!
The road from Bahia Concepcion to Comondu was pretty bad... climbed up volcanic mesas and our Jeep got a case of vapor lock on the grade north of Comondu. An old 4 cyl. Willys Jeep wagon came along and the Mexican man and son came to help.

When he opened the hood of our Wagoneer with it's V-8 and A/C he about jumped back... Anyway, he got the Jeep going and when we finally arrived in San Jose or San Miguel Comondu we stopped where there was gathering of people... perhaps to ask for directions or purchase a beer for my dad?

They were having a little fiesta and the main dish was turtle stew, being cooked in its own shell over a fire. They invited us to stay and join them... they don't get a lot of American tourists driving through, I expect.

These were just great experiences of Baja travel before the highway...

Shari, thanks for this trip report. It is one of Nomad's best... and these are the finest photographs I have ever seen from you... Real Good Job!!

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by David K]

Natalie Ann - 1-20-2011 at 12:35 PM

Outstanding trip report and pix, shari.
You've got me truly longing for a nice back-country Baja trip.

nena

desertcpl - 1-20-2011 at 12:36 PM

Shari
nicely done, great photo essay, your getting as good as Pampano

DK

I knew you would come thru with the maps,, nice

Cypress - 1-20-2011 at 12:41 PM

shari, Thanks for the report. Made the trip once from Mulege south to San Blas to La Purisima to Comondu to San Javier to Loreto and back to Mulege. Spent the night at the first farm on the west side of Comondu. Good times.;D

BajaGringo - 1-20-2011 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
shari, Thanks for the report. Made the trip once from Mulege south to San Blas to La Purisima to Comondu to San Javier to Loreto and back to Mulege. Spent the night at the first farm on the west side of Comondu. Good times.;D

Wonderful photos and story - thanks for sharing them Shari!

David K - 1-20-2011 at 12:50 PM

As you can imagine, there is a lot of history in San Jose Comondu and San Miguel, next door.

They started out as visitas (mission visiting stations)... San Miguel was a visita of San Javier. Today's San Jose Comondu site was first called 'San Ignacio' and was a visita of Comondu. The mission of San Jose de Comodu was founded in 1708, over 20 miles away, at the site now called Comondu Viejo between Rancho San Juan and La Presa.

In 1737, the mission was moved to San Miguel briefly and then finally to Vistita 'San Ignacio', at which point the name was changed to that of the mission's 'San Jose de Comondu'.

The mission grew to be the largest in all the California's... it was magnificient with arches, pillars, something special in the 1750's.

When the Franciscans replaced the Jesuits in 1768, they 'stripped' San Jose de Comondu of much, and used it to adorn their new missions in Alta California... San Diego being the major benefactor.

By the early 1900's the mission was in poor condition and in 1936 it was torn down to build a school. The priest's quarters was left standing and that is what is now is shown as the mission, having been converted to a church. The school that replaced the mission has since been torn down...

The two close by mission era sites of San Miguel and San Jose de Comondu were re-populated by Mexicans from the mainland as well as any natives that survived by joining with Spanish soldiers (Arce's, etc.)... The names adjusted a bit to San Miguel Comondu and San Jose Comondu and had a combined population of 720 in 1960... split about equally between them.

When Highway 1 was re-routed through Loreto, the lack of communication, loss of travelers, and other factors have nearly doomed these oasis villages.

In 1906:

BajaRat - 1-20-2011 at 01:06 PM

Now this is Baja Nomads at its best!
Thanks Shari. I'm sure that fine wine is gonna be gone by the time we get down in Feb. We'll have to bring some Misson Santo Tomas to get over that.
Lionel
P.S. often times the horned figures represent the Shaman.

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by BajaRat]

KurtG - 1-20-2011 at 02:30 PM

Shari,
I have loved visiting the Comondu's since I first rode my bike in there years ago. Kathy and I were there in March last year and I was very impressed that the old ruins in San Miguel that were just facades had been painted and a lot of decoration added that hadn't been there the last time I visited. In the past I always motorcycled in from either San Isidro or San Javier but in recent years have been warned by the locals to avoid those roads. I will probably try the San Javier road sometime this Spring since another rider posted their story of going through there recently. I was very surprised to see the paving on the road in from the West, it was nearly done when we were there. I think that a guesthouse there would be great, I know that friends have rented a room in San Jose but not sure where. Some of your photos are absolute duplicates of ours! I think that La Purisima/San Isidro and the Comondu's are about the prettiest spots in all of Baja, I am also in the minority that thinks the road from San Isidro to Hwy 1 is just wonderful. We drove it in the Explorer last trip and while it was slow and rougher than in past years that just meant we had more time to look at the incredible scenery.
Kurt

Heather - 1-20-2011 at 02:35 PM

Shari, I really enjoyed your report and feel like I visited Comondu with you! I know what you mean about supporting the economy. Whenever we get out to the ranchos around Cabo, my hubby always has to buy something, even if he sees someone walking down the road with a bucket! We usually get the food: queso, dulce de guyaba, dried mangoes, etc.
We once made a trip with my in-laws, from La Paz to Cabo, with about 10 stops to buy or pick something or the other!

Thanks for the report. Saludos, Heather

Martyman - 1-20-2011 at 02:54 PM

Thanks Shari;
Great Report! gotta love that homemade pomegranate wine.

BajaNomad - 1-20-2011 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
thanks for this trip report. It is one of Nomad's best...
I concur. A fantastic report. Thank you.

Michelle and I were last through the Comondus over 10 years ago. Came through there from San Javier.

Always enjoy the area of La Purisima. Seems like the people here might be a little too isolated though. Just my own personal observations and experience.

:biggrin:

constitution.htm_txt_purisima1.jpg - 48kB

rts551 - 1-20-2011 at 03:18 PM

Nice picures. I have also done this loop (Semana Santa 3-4 years ago). Used to be a Gringo lived full-time in La Purisima but alas he passed on a couple of years ago. While some bemoan the remoteness of these towns, I would ate to see them take on atmosphere of San Juanico.

Another view

some parts of the road not bad

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by rts551]

[Edited on 1-21-2011 by BajaNomad]

shari - 1-20-2011 at 07:56 PM

thank you for sharing my trip amigos and your comments do my heart good....I am extremely moved and inspired to help shed some light on this special place and its people...cant wait to go back.

the locals ALL suggested NOT taking that back road to La Purisima...not that you wouldnt make it but if there were some "falla mechanica o tecnica"...well...youd be screwed...there is like no traffic on that road....make sure you pack extra water dudes!

Bajaboy - 1-20-2011 at 08:31 PM

We made the trek down from Bahia Asuncion to Loreto and then over the mountains a few years back. It was an incredible trip but the stretch of road from Comondu to La Purisima required 4wd. We met Leopold Murillo who lives across from the Mission. He invited us to tour is garden which was extensive. He also insisted we taste the tap water. At first we were apprehensive but then went for it. It was sweet, cold, and refreshing. Leopold said the water was over 1000 years old.

We then headed out to San Gregorio which is one of our favorite beaches in Baja. We stumbled onto this place after we did a good deed....karma at its finest. Anyways, here are some photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ZAJohnston/SummerTrip#

Zac

shari - 1-20-2011 at 08:46 PM

hey that was a cool blast from the past Zac...I'd forgotton about you tearing down the old panga garage!!! LOved your photo of the aquaducto...great angle and Sr. Murillo...neat-O
I'm gonna try the water next time then!

b1 - 1-20-2011 at 08:59 PM

Hi Shari, nice trip report and photos. (God willing and the creeks don't rise too much we will be seeing you in about 3 weeks).

Just as you describe, I was enchanted with that box canyon filled with palm trees and both Comondu' villages. Lots of water, beautiful flower gardens, big vegetable gardens, domestic pigs tied to trees with ropes, folks making brown sugar, etc. etc. When the sun is either just rising of just about to set, the colors on the rocks of that canyon can be stunning.

We took about a week and drove atv's from Mulege to Rancho Ballena (where Mike and Don-Kay are tonight according to David K's post), down to Cadeje, to San Juanico to La Purisma to San Isidro to San Jose de Comondu' and San Miguel de Comondu' then back over the peninsula over to San Nicolas on the SOC.

I will try to add just a a few photos of my own.

Here is the cemetery on top of the box canyon as we came down into San Jose de Comondu' from San Isidro. Parts of the cemetary were ancient.

Here is a donkey powered grinding wheel:

The new town sign:

Stayed at this nice little casita for $7 a night U.S.

Poster on the Mission to celebrate its 300th:

The outside of the Mission getting the entrance steps refurbished for the 300th Birthday bash:

The step workers who were very nice:

Inside the Mission....I thought the the old lava rock masonary work at 300 years old was just WOW:

Some arches like you saw (these were in San Miguel de Comondu):

And finially, the very friendly folks were making brown sugar the day we left:

I have lots more, especially inside the Mission, but this gives you an idea. The little road between the two towns was being redone with new cement when we were there as well. We were also able to convince a very nice lady in town to fix our meals and let us eat with her family in her house. Very accommodating. b1

BajaNomad - 1-20-2011 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Used to be a Gringo lived full-time in La Purisima...
Is that Gary - or someone else you're referring to?

Thanks,
-
Doug

Iflyfish - 1-20-2011 at 11:36 PM

This is the wonder of Baja, such a hidden treasure. Memorable trip report, like taking the journey with you. So much magic in the Baja. Great pics and discriptions of this out of the way jewel.

Thanks,

Iflyfish

motoged - 1-20-2011 at 11:49 PM

Shari,
A moving trip report...that clearly shares the emotion of your experience. Places like this open one's heart....your photos and impressions only make it so much more important that I spend a bit more time there on my ride through that area in February. My plans have been altered now to take a few days away from my Mulege plans to spend them between La Purisima and Los Comondus.

I only wish my Spanish was better so as to benefit from what sounds like the graciousness of those who live there.

Your sharing has touched us....gracias, hermana.

David K - 1-20-2011 at 11:52 PM

What is special is that here we can all share the wonders of Baja... and it only enhances the place (it doesn't ruin it)...

The mission was founded in 1708, but over 20 miles away... at Comondu Viejo.

It was moved to its final location in 1737... and the stone mission complex was built in the 1750's.

What is called the mission today, was the padre's quarters or a side chapel The main church, the largest built in all of California... was torn down around 1936.

shari - 1-21-2011 at 06:41 AM

B-1 thanks for your report...I am enjoying learning more about my new love!!! and now have so much to look forward to...like how to make brown sugar!

desertcpl - 1-21-2011 at 09:40 AM

this has really been interesting, both the photos and story.

I am fascinated with the remote Ranches and villages of Baja.

I would love to read more about them and there daily lives , what there houses look like both out side and inside, what there daily diet might be like, what they grow and trade for, they must very self sufficient

zforbes - 1-21-2011 at 10:22 AM

Great trip report, Shari...very engaging, it was like being there with you. Thanks for sharing!

David K - 1-21-2011 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Used to be a Gringo lived full-time in La Purisima...
Is that Gary - or someone else you're referring to?

Thanks,
-
Doug

Perhaps the late Jim Dandy (where Mision the burro lived after Graham's 1000 mile walk)?

Photo from http://grahammackintosh.com

BajaBlanca - 1-21-2011 at 11:05 AM

loved the pics and the history and the beauty and can't wait to taste some wine !!

Bob H - 1-21-2011 at 12:16 PM

Wow, just read this trip report and saw your stunning photos Shari. It's the best trip report I've ever followed on Nomad. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. We have not been through La Purisima in at least 15 years.

[Edited on 1-21-2011 by Bob H]

Cypress - 1-21-2011 at 01:23 PM

b1, Thanks for your contribution. That's a mystical area. Any pictures of the jail in La Purisima? Those old sugar-making mills/cookers/molds are a bit of living history.:D

elgatoloco - 1-21-2011 at 02:17 PM

Great stuff all! Thanks for sharing the photos and stories.

Ten years or so ago we were camping in Loreto and decided to take a day trip up to San Javier. We then looked at the map and thought why don't we head over and check out Comondu. The road was sketchy in parts and great in others so we decided to just see how far we could get. There had been considerable rain around that time and all the flora was bursting with color and cactus bulging. I recall huge fig trees clinging to rocks and a few little ranchos by the side of the road. The most amazing sight was when we turned the corner onto the very narrow carved out of rock road down into the canyon and saw more palm tress in one place then I can remember. Once we got down in the valley the old buildings and huge trees and palms made for a very tranquil feeling. I have often thought it was one of the most unique places I have been to in Baja. We were running out of daylight and wishing we had our camp gear with us so we could have hung around. We were one of those who slowly drove thru and got a hearty wave from everyone we saw. It's been on our list of places to return ever since.

A different trip a few years ago to surf we stopped on the way home in La Purisima with goal to meet Jim Dandy and Mision then take the road to SJ Comondu and on to Loreto, Jim was not home, we fed the burro then were stopped on outskirts of San Ysidro by some locals who told us that both the east road to 1 and the road to Comondus were impassable due to recent storms.

Thanks again Shari and all for the trip back in time.

Nappo - 1-23-2011 at 09:23 PM

Great report Shari!
You know our group is going to spend a few more days with you in October - Just wondering how far/time wise this side trip may be. Any info would be great.
Thx
D

elfbrewery - 1-27-2011 at 08:56 PM

Judging by what others have said, I must confirm that I took a group on a trip through San Javier to the Comondus up to San Isidro over a year ago (maybe a little longer). It was a difficult trip from San Javier to San Jose, but worth it (we camped by the "lake"). The drive from the Comondus to San Isidro was a nightmare. Bolders and washouts everywhere. The only traffic we saw were rancheros on horseback -- made sense. We made it through eventually after one of the vehicles had a valve stem sheered off by boulders and we moved a few 100+ lb. boulders to get to the wheel to change it. It took hours to go that short distance that looks like a straight line in the Backroads Baja book. It's not worth going this way, ut uh. The other roads are beckoning for us to try, though.

David K - 1-27-2011 at 11:39 PM

The El Camino Real parallels that road between San Jose Comondu and La Purisima... just a bit west of it... Maybe using it would have been better? The Jesuits built it almost 300 years ago and you can still see it all from space!

mcfez - 1-28-2011 at 07:11 AM

Shari....
Outstanding travel log. In fact...I got more out of your report that any book!

Few questions 4 you, if you dont mind;

How many days were you on the road?
Gasoline avail?

Could you maybe "yellow marker" your route for us? No offense to DK's maps....I just cant see your route in them.

shari - 1-28-2011 at 07:28 AM

thank you all so much for your comments....I am just tickled that many of you GOT what I was feeling!!! I am still overwhelmed and know there is something I must do there....each photograph could be a chapter in a book as there are so many wonderful stories to be told about this place and it's people...hmmm...maybe another book in the making.

our route...hmmm...DK is much better at this. We were lost much of the time...around Batequi the road we were on ended...so we got on another goat path to San Juanico...then on another pathy road a few miles out of SJ to La Purisima....we were told the short cut was not passable unless on beast or bike..so we went back out and got on another road that doubled back from Pancho Villa that went up to Comondu...but next time I would go up from just south of Mulege around san nicholas and straight up there.

Nappo...you guys could do this trip in 2 days just to see it....but why not just go up to la sierra de san francisco...similar ranch feeling and much closer!

Bob H - 1-28-2011 at 07:35 AM

Shari, is it possible to do a "day trip" from Mulege to La Purisima and back?

shari - 1-28-2011 at 07:37 AM

anything is possible Bob!!!

BUMP...

Mulegena - 5-5-2011 at 07:46 AM

Just shared these photos of La Purisima with Ricardo, my new sweetheart, who enjoyed my wonderful birthday weekend with Shari & Juan at their house. Ricardo is of the Romero Acosta families of La Purisima. He was born there but came to Mulege with his parents when he was 7 years old.

Looking at these pictures he brightened into a smile to see photos of home, then sat up abruptly when we came to the ones of the petate. "That's my Aunt Hilda's house," he said, "Remember when we visited last month?" I immediately recognized the young boy in the photo as his cousin Jonathan who is all of nine years old and possesses the deepest blue of blue eyes I've ever seen. The petate was hand-crafted by his Uncle Antonio.

Having visited there with him just last month I also recognized the specifics of the area, the wonderful sweet-water river with turtles and caña growing on its banks. Its from this type of bamboo/cane that the petate is made. On the banks of the river you'll see the old-old system of aquaduct which is still in use today. The photo of the orchard with the mountain in the background is very near the rancho of his cousin Ita and her husband Lalo who raise goats, make cheese & petate and grow Frijoles Habas which we would know as lima beans. They live without running water or electricity and live completely off the land.

A personal aside: When I visited in early April I took a bit of medication for the animals up there and treated many of the otherwise healthy-looking dogs for fleas, ticks and stomach parasites. Word was sent down the mountain to me over Semana Santa with a big thank you because the dogs which were lean are now all robust, "Los perro son gordos ahora, gracias," said Ita and Lalo.

As you said, these people are gentle folk, quiet, self-sufficient people living securely alone up in the mountains much as they have in the centuries since their ancestors first explored and settled the area. I was blown away by the life-style that still exists up there, the strength & dignity.

Being one of these people Rica still has the sense of adventure of his ancestors. Because of its isolation, he's never been to Comondu and now wants to go see the place. "When shall we go. Today? Estoy listo!!" he says.

Thanks, Shari, for your glowing report which has brought continued joy to myself and to Rica, yet another Baja Nomad.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
PART II

Again we chose the wrong road and ended up taking another rough road up to La Purisima.....saw some neat places though like Cadeje.

La Purisima is pretty spectacular....there sure is alot of visual pollution with all the political banners splattered everywhere. We talked to locals about pressuring politicians to clean up their mess after the election.

We drove up to San Ysidro and marveled at the water canal system and beautiful fertile valleys full of huertas.

We continued further up to Cambuchi where we saw people making petates. We stopped to enquire about them and enjoyed meeting the family. As is the custom, the petates weren’t for sale…the ones already made were encargos…ordered by someone else. We chatted for a good while about la gripa, los politicos, economicos, perros etc. and I commented on the colour of all their eyes and that they looked like Arce’s and they laughed and told me they were all Arce’s!!! Well MAYBE they might be able to sell a couple petates and they sent a boy to get his uncle. After more chatting, he agreed to sell a couple to us for 150 pesos each.We gave him 200 each and he was very very happy and promised to somehow send them up a puppy as their dog had just got run over…so anyone going that way, please take a puppy to them!! So we loaded them aboard the Toyota…Café was happy to have some shade and lay down inside the rolled up petates.

We asked directions and about road conditions to Comondu and they told us to make sure to buy some of their homemade wine there that was famous and we were on our way once again.

shari - 5-5-2011 at 08:21 AM

I'm happy the photos brought joy to you both...Rica has that ranch gentleness about him and it will be wonderful for you to connect on a family level with these folks and perhaps learn some of their skills.

I've been rather busy this past while with the bajagypsies but am preparing another trip report from our last visit there semana santa...stay tuned.

David K - 5-5-2011 at 08:25 AM

Terrific stuff here! Pure Baja!!

TMW - 5-5-2011 at 08:55 AM

Pictures do tell a 1000 words. Thanks

ddawson - 5-5-2011 at 09:10 AM

Wow, just saw this report for the first time. Great pics and info! Thanks for sharing.

motoged - 5-5-2011 at 02:45 PM

Some of my impressions of Los Commondus:

The road in from where the pavement ends...

The road north out of town to La Purisima:

and the bad part...

Ride report and pics for La Purisima and Commondus areas:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961&page=6

to....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961&page=7

BajaBlanca - 5-5-2011 at 07:04 PM

absolutely loved seeing the photos and reading the stories again ... you are a gifted photographer, without a doubt, Shari. I do think that you should publish a book with stories and pics. no one knows about these places...

Mulegena, the first person I thought about was Rica, since he said he was from la purissima !! what fun to travel up there and meet the folks up close and personal. you are a lucky lady. please, have a glass of wine in our honor ...

AmoPescar - 5-6-2011 at 01:31 AM

HOLA SHARI y Juan....

GREAT TRIP REPORT and BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!!

Not sure why I missed this before, but thanks so much for taking the time to write it and post the pics. You were so lucky to have such a cool Baja adventure. Glad we got to go along!

Miguelamo :yes: :D :wow: ;D

rubencastillo - 5-6-2011 at 02:27 PM

Thanks for writeing and posting pics,really enjoyed:biggrin:

Eli - 5-7-2011 at 06:34 AM

This dawn my mind is calm and as such the right moment for me to read this report. It brought me great joy to see the fotos and your insights and love of life sing thru your words Shari, thank You so much. As I read it, my Dad's spirit is right there along side me, he embraced Comondu and dreamed of someday moving there. He would have loved your report. This truly is the best of Nomads. Yet again I do truly Thank you Shari, I will carry the magic you have given me into the next phase of my morning, time to drink coffee and paint.

[Edited on 5-7-2011 by Eli]

shari - 5-7-2011 at 08:35 AM

oh Eli...thank YOU for your "getting it" and feeling what I felt. I would love to paint one of those wonderful green doors!!!! miss you

drarroyo - 5-7-2011 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by b1
Hi Shari, nice trip report and photos. (God willing and the creeks don't rise too much we will be seeing you in about 3 weeks).

please refrain from this Al Qaeda style religious mumbo jumbo!
It's draconian and freaky.
Thanx!
Nice pics

DianaT - 5-7-2011 at 09:26 AM

What happened to La Vina? That looked like a really interesting place with possibly an interesting history---but the thread is gone????

dtbushpilot - 5-7-2011 at 09:32 AM

I hope shari didn't take my post about keeping it secret seriously.....

DianaT - 5-7-2011 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I hope shari didn't take my post about keeping it secret seriously.....

You think? Hope not.

shari - 5-7-2011 at 01:37 PM

it's a secret....gotta love baja intrigue eh!!!

woody with a view - 5-7-2011 at 02:15 PM

some things are best earned, not given.

DianaT - 5-7-2011 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
some things are best earned, not given.

Absolutely and sometime detailed reports and GPS etc., can ruin the surprise and sense of discovery of an area for the traveler, IMHO.

[Edited on 5-7-2011 by DianaT]

David K - 12-2-2011 at 04:57 PM

Good enough to read and see again!

vgabndo - 12-2-2011 at 08:23 PM

I agree David, and although I didn't read the whole thread to insure it wasn't mentioned, that huge purple Bouganlillia in the first installment is so big it is visible on Google Earth. We had just dirt biked in from San Nicolas and stopped under that shade for some little 6 oz. mini beers! I figured at the time that six cars could have been parked under the ramada it covered.

David K - 12-3-2011 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I agree David, and although I didn't read the whole thread to insure it wasn't mentioned, that huge purple Bouganlillia in the first installment is so big it is visible on Google Earth. We had just dirt biked in from San Nicolas and stopped under that shade for some little 6 oz. mini beers! I figured at the time that six cars could have been parked under the ramada it covered.

Way cool!

Sweetwater - 12-17-2011 at 06:15 PM

So............this is a prime reason I'm scheming another moto trip through Baja.....San Juanico to Francisco Villa to SM Comondu and SJ Comondu...piece of cake but then SJComondu to Ramono Viejo to Loreto was very tough going....but starkly beautiful......sometimes I had to ask why all the boulders were considered a road.......

From Loreto back to San Javier then west to Highway 1..........another long stretch of wonderful sights and smells........yes, the advantage of the moto....smells have a huge impact....

This was the route south.....but when we returned northward, we rode through La Purisima then San Isidro and out to the east through El Crucerito and north to Mulege....can I get the bigger bikes through that stretch this year.........? I'm scheming still........

If I think I can......even with some extra Mmmmmm's and Aaaaa's.....then of course I can........:bounce:

[Edited on 12-18-2011 by Sweetwater]

[Edited on 1-21-2013 by BajaNomad]

David K - 12-17-2011 at 06:20 PM

COMONDU :biggrin:

Sweetwater - 12-17-2011 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
COMONDU :biggrin:

ok, I edited.................but there's a reason for everything......I had to go to a Holiday Party.....eat and drink a bunch.........talk about the '70's...........and then it came to me...........the reason, that is.......so here is my rationale.....flimsy as some might consider it........dig out an old vinyl piece of tunes from those days.......turn up the volume.......and kick it out...........

I think I'm going to Katmandu,
That's really, really where I'm going to.
If i ever get out of here,
That's what I'm gonna do.
K-k-k-k-k-Katmandu,
I think that's where I'm going to.
I'm going to Katmandu.

I got no kick against the west coast
Warner brothers are such good hosts.
I raise my whiskey glass and give them a toast,
I'm sure they know it's true.
I got no rap against the southern states.
Every time I've been there it's been great.
But now I'm leaving and i can't be late
And to myself be true.

That's why I'm going to Katmandu,
Up to the mountains where I'm going to,
And if I ever get out of here that's what I'm gonna do.
K - k - k - k - k - Katmandu,
That's really, really where I'm going to,
Oh, if I ever get out of here I'm going to Katmandu.

I got no quarrel with the Midwest,
The folks out there have given me their best.
I lived there all my life, I've been their guest,
I sure have loved it, too.
I'm tired of looking at the TV. news.
I'm tired of driving hard and paying dues.
I figure, baby, I've got nothing to lose,
I'm tired of being blue.

Up to the mountains where I'm going to.
If i ever get out of here that's what I'm gonna do.
K - k - k - k - k - Katmandu,
Take me, baby, 'cause I'm going with you.
If I ever get out of here I'm going to Katmandu.

I ain't got nothing 'gainst the east coast.
You want some people where they got the most.
And New York city's like a friendly ghost,
You seem to pass right through.
I know I'm gonna miss the u.s.a.,
I guess i'll miss it every single day,
But no one loves me here anyway,
I know my playing is through.

Up to the mountains where I'm going to.
That's what I'm gonna do.

K-k-k-k-k-Katmandu,
Really, really going to,
I'm going to Katmandu.

Ah! Shari...

Baja Bernie - 12-19-2011 at 07:09 AM

You have made me dream and see at the same time...Please save a thimble of the wine for our next visit.

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

shari - 12-19-2011 at 07:30 AM

Bernie...this magical mystical place was like being in a dream...or suddenly being beamed back in time...for me it was rather disorienting or perhaps intoxicating...it made me dizzy with excitement to step back in time.

This is a place all baja enthusiasts should try to see...but one needs to stay a bit to fully grok the place...not just do a drive by.

Not only the physical uniqueness of the place is striking, but the whole kit & kaboodle is extraordinary...the people have a fascinating sense of timelessness as well...not to mention the sweet nectar of the gods...again!

Neal Johns - 12-19-2011 at 10:27 AM

shari,
What a great trip report. I missed it the first time but have it now!
I have been to Comondu several times but was handicapped by my lack of Spanish (200 words maybe). It is truly a magic spot.

If anyone goes there, drop a few pesos, it really has been forgotten by the powers that be.
Neal

Sweetwater - 12-19-2011 at 06:04 PM

I thought that the road from the west is making a lot of progress towards Comandu when we visited last February. It seemed that there was also some preparation and restoration of the towns that had begun already.

Does anyone have a recent report on the road from Francisco Villa to the east?

shari - 12-19-2011 at 07:29 PM

From what I read in the papers, the road is being fixed and there was work being done so it will be easier to get there soon. One of a zillion neat things there is that INAH makes sure that all restorations are monitored and they have strict guidelines for what can be done there to keep it's historical essence in tact...no OXXO's there by golly!

elfbrewery - 12-30-2011 at 05:13 PM

Just to recap all this wonderful info, could anyone please give me the low down on rooms and gasoline for a trip coast-to-coast with the Comondus in between? I want to put together a trip for 3 or 4 couples to make, so lots of planning needs to be done.
Thanks for your help!

David K - 12-30-2011 at 06:03 PM

Mileages on the maps below on most of the roads mentioned:

Here's a bigger area view:

David K - 12-30-2011 at 06:10 PM

There is a new paved road to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) now that starts at Las Barrancas and goes north over the La Purisima River merging with the older road from La Purisima... Not shown on this map:

But added to this one:

shari - 12-30-2011 at 08:00 PM

there are several options for accomodations...you could stay in San Juanico and do a day trip up to Comondu or San Jose de Comondu has some funky cabin type places beside the store there or ask some of the locals about La Vinya. We couldnt find the owners once when we went up and we stayed in a room behind La Cancha in San Miguel de Comondu so it's a bit risky for rooms there but San Juanico has some nice places.

LisaR. - 2-5-2012 at 02:22 PM

I just saw this trip report--what beautiful pictures and imagery, shari! Thanks for bringing us all along with you!

motoged - 2-5-2012 at 02:44 PM

Nice and friendly accommodation in La Purisima is Posada del Angel...

Located on north side of main road going through town....behind this place on a corner:

The kind owner....he used to be a teacher in town for decades....was now retired... (forget names....and he is wearing a hat ):

There is a rough road going south from La Purisima to Los Commondus...need to have 4-w drive or a bike for one section of about 300 feet in middle of route....otherwise good road:

Some of the good road:

The bad bit in middle of route:

A link to more pics and info:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961&page=7

[Edited on 2-5-2012 by motoged]

[Edited on 2-5-2012 by motoged]

[Edited on 1-21-2013 by BajaNomad]

David K - 2-5-2012 at 04:03 PM

Baja Fun, in the sun... OFF ROAD (off paved roads, that is). The road between La Purisima/ San Isidro and San Jose Comondu parallels (and crosses) the Jesuit EL CAMINO REAL built there in the early 1700's... It can easily be seen from space on Google Earth, Wikimapia, and other satellite map sites.

Maps and satellite images ECR from Mision Guadalupe to Mision Purisima to Mision San Jose de Comondu: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37233

[Edited on 2-5-2012 by David K]

redmesa - 2-6-2012 at 08:30 PM

Beautiful presentation Shari! And beautiful places to present!

shari - 2-7-2012 at 10:50 AM

Thanks all...our amigo Cisco just returned from the Comondu's and reports that the road is newly paved nearly all the way in now...wooo hooo. Cisco brought the good folk wine bottles and corks for their amazing wines thay make there....and he brought us back a couple bottles which are amazing. You can also buy the lovely organic fresh fruits and veggies they grow.

I cant wait to return there next month!

Sweetwater - 2-7-2012 at 08:08 PM

Very cool to hear you can access the valley from the west.....but the road north to San Isidro is trashed per MotoGed.....and the road to the east which connects with the San Javier junction and will get you to Loreto is also trashed (per me).......so can somebody enlighten me on the road east from San Isidro towards the Sea of Cortez? I rode it last year and it seemed to be in fairly good condition.....? is that still true?

David K - 2-8-2012 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
Very cool to hear you can access the valley from the west.....but the road north to San Isidro is trashed per MotoGed.....and the road to the east which connects with the San Javier junction and will get you to Loreto is also trashed (per me).......so can somebody enlighten me on the road east from San Isidro towards the Sea of Cortez? I rode it last year and it seemed to be in fairly good condition.....? is that still true?

Remember.... BAD roads bring GOOD people! Get a Toyota (or other good 4WD) and enjoy Baja the way it used to be, today!:cool:

elfbrewery - 2-8-2012 at 11:32 AM

Sweetwater-
I believe the "East Road," as we call it around here, from San Isidro to HWY 1 is in good shape, probably as good as it has ever been according to someone who drove it mid-December, 2011. At least that's a relief.
We also drove the road from Comondus to San Isidro a few years back and it was horrible then. Only passable by ignorant jeep drivers and men on horseback. Motoged's description is very accurate. That trip experience made me a fan of Baja Nomad.
I was under the impression that the Comondus to San Javier junction wasn't trashed, just slow going. What's the problem there? We almost took that road a couple weeks ago, but postponed the trip. Please provide more info.
Cheers!

Sweetwater - 2-8-2012 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery
Sweetwater-
I believe the "East Road," as we call it around here, from San Isidro to HWY 1 is in good shape, probably as good as it has ever been according to someone who drove it mid-December, 2011. At least that's a relief.
We also drove the road from Comondus to San Isidro a few years back and it was horrible then. Only passable by ignorant jeep drivers and men on horseback. Motoged's description is very accurate. That trip experience made me a fan of Baja Nomad.
I was under the impression that the Comondu to San Javier junction wasn't trashed, just slow going. What's the problem there? We almost took that road a couple weeks ago, but postponed the trip. Please provide more info.
Cheers!

I rode that route last March of 2011 on an XR650R and it was a very tough ride. We chose that route because we had been informed the road north out of Comondu to La Purisima was in bad shape. When you leave Comondu, you climb several pitches that are simply talus slopes. It almost becomes single track in several spots. And there are multiple spots to make significant mistakes that would strand you. We did not see any other vehicles on that road and it took a long time to navigate to the junction with San Javier. It looks pretty similar to motogeds photos. From that junction, the road is great in both directions.

motoged - 2-8-2012 at 01:04 PM

SW,
Thanks for your road pics between Comondus and San Javier...

Just that one rough section???

Looks like your back tire has been having fun... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

elfbrewery - 2-8-2012 at 01:59 PM

Sweetwater-
Thanks from me, too. The photos tell the story.
I suppose two wheels was bad enough. Would a jeep have gotten through??

Sweetwater - 2-8-2012 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery
Sweetwater-
Thanks from me, too. The photos tell the story.
I suppose two wheels was bad enough. Would a jeep have gotten through??

Yes, a jeep with good clearance and rubber would be just fine. I don't think I'd take a 2wd through there, clearance would be the biggest issue but if you lost traction, 4wd would also be necessary. There were other fugly sections but those photos are probably the worst....overall, it was challenging for the entire ride.

BAJACAT - 1-20-2013 at 09:58 PM

ok,Nomads im planning this route in late March, La Purisima-Comondu-San Javier..Im coming in from la Purisima on my return from la Paz..miles from point to point would be nice,plus road conditions..We are driving a RAM truck 4x4 and a TRD TACOMA 4x4,,also doing the whale tour on San Ignacio,so who do I seek for this in the Laguna...Thanks in advance, for the info.

shari - 1-21-2013 at 10:25 AM

you are gonna love it....too bad I couldnt get the box of wine bottles and corks I have saved here for the wine makers up there...if possible please pick me up 5 bottles from anybody up there...the furniture maker has the smoothest but the Tecate stor owner's is pretty dang amazing too...or Vladimir's too. You can drop em off at Vialsol building supply place in Vizcaino...I'll get you the money via paypal or whatever....or stay a night here for free!!!
 Pages:  1