BajaNomad

Baitcast,s formula for fishing success.

baitcast - 1-26-2011 at 10:02 AM

TxLxP=S

Timing X Location X Presentation = Success

Which do you feel is most important and why?

None will stand alone,I,ve thought about this for years and I think timing may be the most important,even poor presentation will work alone if the timing is right,any location from time to time will get the job done,there is that time thing again.

Tides,moon phase,time of day,nite,I don,t know what do you think?
Rob

Cypress - 1-26-2011 at 10:23 AM

Tides. Time and tides go hand in hand.;)

Skipjack Joe - 1-26-2011 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast

Timing X Location X Presentation = Success

We are talking about fishing, right? :lol::lol:

Timing or location, I would say. Location is slightly more important. Timing has the edge with pelagics but is less important with the 'endemic' species. But location is important with all types.

Examples:

The best cabrilla spots are off the steep rocks at the points. So we skip the rest of the shoreline and just go from point to point. The fish are there all year.

The yellowtail spots are usually underwater reefs that attract them and we either use gps or landmarks to get right over them. A few hundred yards in either direction and you're soaking bait. But also, the feed started each day at 3PM and stayed for about 2 hours. The guys fishing the normal hours caught very little. Also, there were no yellowtail there just a few months earlier.

So, from those experiences - location first and timing second.

But since the pelagics are so much more desired I would guess most would agree with you that timing is number 1.

The thing is, though, that all 3 are crucial. Remove any one and you could get skunked. How often have I stood waist deep in water with trout rising all around and not one would give my fly a 2nd look. Sometimes they're so close you can literally touch them with the end of your rod.

Just read Cypress comment. Yes, on the pacific side the tides dominate your fishing decisions.

Skeet/Loreto - 1-26-2011 at 10:51 AM

SKEET'S FORMULA FOR FISHIN BAJA SUR

Attitude

Time of Day, Month and Year
As an example when the Squid come in every Three years it changes until the next 3 year Cycle.

Location, Temp of Water, Wind, Moon Phase, Time of Day.

As an example, I have been catching yellowtail in One Spot all year around very near to Loreto Baja Sur.

Type of Lure

Birds

Trolling, Jigging, Bait or Lure Fishing, Depth.

Education and Knowledge gleamed from the old and present day Mexicano Fisherman.

This to me is the most important. I do not use Electronic Equiptment when Fishing. I use Trianglation for spotting locations, I observed and watched my Good Friend Alvarro Murillo and his Father Fish for 35 years. I learned the Water and the Fish life and how it moves due to Wind, Time, bait, Temp, etc.

Time is very important , it you can just slow down and watch the Water and the Actions of the Fish, Bait and Birds., Wind,

Good LucK

Skipjack Joe - 1-26-2011 at 11:02 AM

Good point, Skeet.

Patience and Observation are 2 more important skills. Often your trip begins with needlefish and ends with roosterfish as you start to understand what is going on. That learning process is one of the great joys of fishing. And a guide takes it away from you.

baitcast - 1-26-2011 at 11:44 AM

No question about it the learning process is alot of fun,learning to read water be it stream,river,lake or ocean is slow,if a guy can just pick up one thing an outing it will start to come together slow but sure,but the question was time location or presentation.

The term pattern comes to mind,LMB fishing and sweet water,the learning curve is openended which makes it great and I woudn,t have it any other way.
Rob

Skeet/Loreto - 1-26-2011 at 11:53 AM

In my situtation Alvarro was not only a Gudie but became a good Friend where in the later years he made me use all of those things that he and his Father had Taught me.

Another thing I forgot was that if you are able it is good to get into the water and observe what happens with the smaller fish, their movements which attract the larger Fish.

If you are ever in or near Delfonso Island off of San Nicholas it is a great place to fish, watch the Birds, Dive and Snorkel. Just be careful for ever so often you shall be in the water with a Hammerhead or two. Might Surprise you~
The birds that are nesting will tell you when a small school of yellow tail are coming towards the Island.They get all excited as I think they realize they are going to be eating on the Bait fish that are due to be chased by the yellowtail.!

BillP - 1-26-2011 at 12:01 PM

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

I feel timing is one of the greatest factors.

Skeet/Loreto - 1-26-2011 at 12:27 PM

Bill:

Luck

Labor Under Correct Knowledge

Skeet/Loreto - 1-26-2011 at 12:31 PM

Bill: What part of Havasu do you live??

Several years ago I built a Home at 2726 Fannin Drive. Up on the ridge, had a great view of the Lake.

Skipjack Joe - 1-26-2011 at 12:32 PM

BTW, Rob.

Thanks for posting these threads on fishing on a regular basis. They really add a lot to this forum which is primarily "Where are the fish now?".

Skeet/Loreto - 1-26-2011 at 12:55 PM

Joe , you did not ask me but if I was going fishing tommorrow out of Loreto I would head out early and go a 90Degree off of Pt. Lobos then the next day take a 030 45 Minute ride out to Mercenarious Reef. If I had frozen some Squid Flanks I would take some strips and troll at both places..

BillP - 1-26-2011 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Bill: What part of Havasu do you live??

Several years ago I built a Home at 2726 Fannin Drive. Up on the ridge, had a great view of the Lake.

Skeet, I'm off Chemhuevie, between Jamaica and Saratoga when I'm there.

Cypress - 1-26-2011 at 01:35 PM

Luck! Always luck and more luck!;)

fishabductor - 1-26-2011 at 06:16 PM

Fish as much as humanly possible, I feel this is the most important item followed by develop a system where if you bust off a fish you can either retie or switch rods in seconds.

For example... I fish with 6 rods when in the boat, a minimum of 2 on the beach. In the boat I have a one rod rigged for jigging, 2 for trolling, 2 for live bait and one casting rig always rigged with a surface lure, on the beach I have 2 top water set ups. if the action changes fast I can switch gears and techniques in seconds. Speed counts...these fish are fast and the faster you can get a hook in the water the faster you can get your rod bent and hopefully a permagrin.

If I am shore fishing, I watch the water for a good 10 minutes before I usually fish this goes whether it's a river, lake or ocean... unless I am soaking bait of course. By watching you can figure out if the water is going to be producive or not, by determining if there is bait present, or prederator fish. I prefer to site fish and stalk on the beach using top water lures.

Learn to read the water...the surface texture has a story to tell. The more you watch the water the more accomplished you will become.

Before doing any of the above...get yourself a quality pair of polarized glasses. I recommend Maui Jim or Costa Del Mar.

woody with a view - 1-26-2011 at 09:21 PM

TxLxP=Success!

T=just gotta be there.

L=yeah, right! keep dreaming....

P=chunk of pismo clam on one hook 18" above a 3 ounce sinker. toss into waist deep water at high going low tide and open a TKT.

Success=:P

rsz_baja_oct_10_148.jpg - 45kB

Skipjack Joe - 1-26-2011 at 09:55 PM

Rub it in, why don't you. :(

baitcast - 1-27-2011 at 05:52 AM

:lol::lol: Woody,s got the the big Spots wired for sure,but he just can,t help himself.

Abduct ;D has it all figured out,fish every day with eight rods and one is bound to get hooked up sooner or later,:lol: I used to fish nearly every day at my place up north,50' to the dock and I was hooked up,quess i,ll dig up my pic,s.

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by baitcast]

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by baitcast]

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-27-2011 at 06:09 AM

Timing + Location + Presentation +Tides + Moon Phase + Time of Day.

I'll be danged, I never thought of using this formula for fishing.

I was always successful when I used it while chasing after the opposite sex.:lol:

I'll try it for fishing now that I'm older...

Thanks BaitCast!

mcfez - 1-30-2011 at 07:53 AM

Be out "there" 15 minutes before sunrise. I have never failed to catch.

Full moon tides are great too.

captkw - 1-30-2011 at 08:22 AM

now let's sea a reel bass

baitcast - 1-30-2011 at 08:38 AM

Sorry about the dog my friend,I,m on my fifth minnie weannie dog,his name is Nelson and he,s a good guy,if you haven,t done it already go out and get another a guy should never be without a dog!

Some pic,s are still left before you were born:lol:

woody with a view - 1-30-2011 at 08:46 AM

a REAL bass?

you're not seeing double.....:lol:

rsz_1100_3869.jpg - 36kB

baitcast - 1-30-2011 at 03:32 PM

This guy gave me a hard time just lucky to have Igor was along to give me a hand:lol:

Big enough bass?

wessongroup - 1-30-2011 at 04:53 PM

Hard to believe stuff like that got pulled out.. back in the day...

Thanks for all the pictures... some lunkers... nice fish and great information...

Skipjack Joe - 1-30-2011 at 06:10 PM

The guy on the left actually looks more like Woody than me.

The guy on the right is interesting in that guys don't look that way any more but most men from dad's generation did. Our eating habits have really changed in this country.

[Edited on 1-31-2011 by Skipjack Joe]

captkw - 1-30-2011 at 06:39 PM

that's what im talking about!!! LOVE the black and whites,,,thank you very much,, and when I learn how to post pics I put some here of 50lb to the 75lb white sea bass we were catching ,this year..........m,mmmmm ooop,, last year, in monterey bay..calif

baitcast - 1-31-2011 at 06:35 AM

Must agree with you Igor in that they had a look about them even before my time but I don,t think eating had anything to do with it:lol:

It was the hair-cuts,the guy on the right is a good example of it,close on the sides!

Anyone have any idea of the reel he used? I,m pretty sure I can ID it, it was popular for a certain type of fishing in Cal.
Rob

Cypress - 1-31-2011 at 06:37 AM

May be a Penn 6/0?;)

woody with a view - 1-31-2011 at 06:45 AM

the guy on the right is not me, nor is he in any way related.

every male in my family has had the same length legs!

captkw - 1-31-2011 at 10:20 AM

baitcast,any info,,,,date's,location

baitcast - 1-31-2011 at 10:57 AM

Top left pic 1964 the rest were mid-60,s at PaPa Fernandez Campo Gonzaga Bay.

No more quesses on the reel.

Penn Long beach series,model 68

Very popular reel for rock codding,wide spool,hi-capacity,I had 2,we used them for batray fishing,with practice you could cast those things! on a long calcutta cane rod.
Rod

captkw - 1-31-2011 at 11:08 AM

batray,why would you target a batray??? I landed one by myself in san pablo bay, guess 150lb's, BIG and hard as hell to get over the transom on my 1959 28' owen's ended giving to a local chinese reteraunt,,,got to eat free for while!!

baitcast - 1-31-2011 at 11:40 AM

When hooked on the beachs are jetties they make long runs and jump on occasion C/R,derbies were held around Long Beach lots of fun,other things were caught also:lol:

[Edited on 1-31-2011 by baitcast]

[Edited on 1-31-2011 by baitcast]

Skipjack Joe - 1-31-2011 at 12:14 PM

Well, that surprised me.

Judging from the vehicle I would have guessed that grouper picture to be from the late 40's to early 50's.

captkw - 1-31-2011 at 12:25 PM

I cant tell what kinda shark that is???? if it's a mako I caught a little one once,, 5 footer,,nice teeth ate it and it was really,really good

baitcast - 1-31-2011 at 02:29 PM

Look close at the head,fairly rare in Calif a hammerhead,got him on the Seal bch jetty,side note on his first long run he went right out through a bunch of surfers:lol::lol: pretty funny the way they scattered.
Rob

wessongroup - 1-31-2011 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
The guy on the left actually looks more like Woody than me.

The guy on the right is interesting in that guys don't look that way any more but most men from dad's generation did. Our eating habits have really changed in this country.

[Edited on 1-31-2011 by Skipjack Joe]

Now that is a really good observation.... as I don't remember any of my Dad's friends from that period as over weight...

Most were out of the war... and as I recall... none ever ballooned up... all are gone... RIP... there was a generation of good men, regardless of races, religion et al...

baitcast - 1-31-2011 at 04:02 PM

Opps forgot that,no beer bellies and hair cropped short on the sides ala John Dillinger and machine gun Kelly.
:lol:

captkw - 1-31-2011 at 04:14 PM

bait cast,rare shark indeed,,that far north I have some shark storeis my self,,but ya people in the water seem to scatter,,fast:lol::lol: thank's for the laugh,,needed that, with the lost of my lil baja dog...I lived on a boat (4month's ) in alcapuco, chasing blue's and black's and almost every time we hooked up ,some BIG hammerhead's would show up,,wild looking ...did you eat that one..again thank's for the great pic's