BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baitcast,s formula for fishing success.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 10:02 AM
Baitcast,s formula for fishing success.

TxLxP=S

Timing X Location X Presentation = Success

Which do you feel is most important and why?

None will stand alone,I,ve thought about this for years and I think timing may be the most important,even poor presentation will work alone if the timing is right,any location from time to time will get the job done,there is that time thing again.

Tides,moon phase,time of day,nite,I don,t know what do you think?
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 10:23 AM

Tides. Time and tides go hand in hand.;)
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast

Timing X Location X Presentation = Success

We are talking about fishing, right? :lol::lol:

Timing or location, I would say. Location is slightly more important. Timing has the edge with pelagics but is less important with the 'endemic' species. But location is important with all types.

Examples:

The best cabrilla spots are off the steep rocks at the points. So we skip the rest of the shoreline and just go from point to point. The fish are there all year.

The yellowtail spots are usually underwater reefs that attract them and we either use gps or landmarks to get right over them. A few hundred yards in either direction and you're soaking bait. But also, the feed started each day at 3PM and stayed for about 2 hours. The guys fishing the normal hours caught very little. Also, there were no yellowtail there just a few months earlier.

So, from those experiences - location first and timing second.

But since the pelagics are so much more desired I would guess most would agree with you that timing is number 1.

The thing is, though, that all 3 are crucial. Remove any one and you could get skunked. How often have I stood waist deep in water with trout rising all around and not one would give my fly a 2nd look. Sometimes they're so close you can literally touch them with the end of your rod.

Just read Cypress comment. Yes, on the pacific side the tides dominate your fishing decisions.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 10:51 AM

SKEET'S FORMULA FOR FISHIN BAJA SUR

Attitude

Time of Day, Month and Year
As an example when the Squid come in every Three years it changes until the next 3 year Cycle.

Location, Temp of Water, Wind, Moon Phase, Time of Day.

As an example, I have been catching yellowtail in One Spot all year around very near to Loreto Baja Sur.

Type of Lure

Birds

Trolling, Jigging, Bait or Lure Fishing, Depth.

Education and Knowledge gleamed from the old and present day Mexicano Fisherman.

This to me is the most important. I do not use Electronic Equiptment when Fishing. I use Trianglation for spotting locations, I observed and watched my Good Friend Alvarro Murillo and his Father Fish for 35 years. I learned the Water and the Fish life and how it moves due to Wind, Time, bait, Temp, etc.

Time is very important , it you can just slow down and watch the Water and the Actions of the Fish, Bait and Birds., Wind,

Good LucK
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 11:02 AM

Good point, Skeet.

Patience and Observation are 2 more important skills. Often your trip begins with needlefish and ends with roosterfish as you start to understand what is going on. That learning process is one of the great joys of fishing. And a guide takes it away from you.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 11:44 AM

No question about it the learning process is alot of fun,learning to read water be it stream,river,lake or ocean is slow,if a guy can just pick up one thing an outing it will start to come together slow but sure,but the question was time location or presentation.

The term pattern comes to mind,LMB fishing and sweet water,the learning curve is openended which makes it great and I woudn,t have it any other way.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 11:53 AM

In my situtation Alvarro was not only a Gudie but became a good Friend where in the later years he made me use all of those things that he and his Father had Taught me.

Another thing I forgot was that if you are able it is good to get into the water and observe what happens with the smaller fish, their movements which attract the larger Fish.

If you are ever in or near Delfonso Island off of San Nicholas it is a great place to fish, watch the Birds, Dive and Snorkel. Just be careful for ever so often you shall be in the water with a Hammerhead or two. Might Surprise you~
The birds that are nesting will tell you when a small school of yellow tail are coming towards the Island.They get all excited as I think they realize they are going to be eating on the Bait fish that are due to be chased by the yellowtail.!
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 12:01 PM

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

I feel timing is one of the greatest factors.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 12:27 PM

Bill:

Luck

Labor Under Correct Knowledge
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 12:31 PM

Bill: What part of Havasu do you live??

Several years ago I built a Home at 2726 Fannin Drive. Up on the ridge, had a great view of the Lake.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 12:32 PM

BTW, Rob.

Thanks for posting these threads on fishing on a regular basis. They really add a lot to this forum which is primarily "Where are the fish now?".
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 12:55 PM

Joe , you did not ask me but if I was going fishing tommorrow out of Loreto I would head out early and go a 90Degree off of Pt. Lobos then the next day take a 030 45 Minute ride out to Mercenarious Reef. If I had frozen some Squid Flanks I would take some strips and troll at both places..
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Bill: What part of Havasu do you live??

Several years ago I built a Home at 2726 Fannin Drive. Up on the ridge, had a great view of the Lake.

Skeet, I'm off Chemhuevie, between Jamaica and Saratoga when I'm there.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 01:35 PM

Luck! Always luck and more luck!;)
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 06:16 PM

Fish as much as humanly possible, I feel this is the most important item followed by develop a system where if you bust off a fish you can either retie or switch rods in seconds.

For example... I fish with 6 rods when in the boat, a minimum of 2 on the beach. In the boat I have a one rod rigged for jigging, 2 for trolling, 2 for live bait and one casting rig always rigged with a surface lure, on the beach I have 2 top water set ups. if the action changes fast I can switch gears and techniques in seconds. Speed counts...these fish are fast and the faster you can get a hook in the water the faster you can get your rod bent and hopefully a permagrin.

If I am shore fishing, I watch the water for a good 10 minutes before I usually fish this goes whether it's a river, lake or ocean... unless I am soaking bait of course. By watching you can figure out if the water is going to be producive or not, by determining if there is bait present, or prederator fish. I prefer to site fish and stalk on the beach using top water lures.

Learn to read the water...the surface texture has a story to tell. The more you watch the water the more accomplished you will become.

Before doing any of the above...get yourself a quality pair of polarized glasses. I recommend Maui Jim or Costa Del Mar.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 09:21 PM

TxLxP=Success!

T=just gotta be there.

L=yeah, right! keep dreaming....

P=chunk of pismo clam on one hook 18" above a 3 ounce sinker. toss into waist deep water at high going low tide and open a TKT.

Success=:P

rsz_baja_oct_10_148.jpg - 45kB

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 09:55 PM

Rub it in, why don't you. :(
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 05:52 AM

:lol::lol: Woody,s got the the big Spots wired for sure,but he just can,t help himself.

Abduct ;D has it all figured out,fish every day with eight rods and one is bound to get hooked up sooner or later,:lol: I used to fish nearly every day at my place up north,50' to the dock and I was hooked up,quess i,ll dig up my pic,s.

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by baitcast]

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by baitcast]

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 06:09 AM

Timing + Location + Presentation +Tides + Moon Phase + Time of Day.

I'll be danged, I never thought of using this formula for fishing.

I was always successful when I used it while chasing after the opposite sex.:lol:

I'll try it for fishing now that I'm older...

Thanks BaitCast!

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 07:53 AM

Be out "there" 15 minutes before sunrise. I have never failed to catch.

Full moon tides are great too.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.