BajaNomad

Whats the most unusual fish you,ve caught?

baitcast - 4-6-2011 at 09:56 AM

One afternoon at La Gringa in BOLA I got two 8"9" Bonefish of all things on a little white jig of all places!!!!

Yours,fresh or salt
Rob

boe4fun - 4-6-2011 at 10:56 AM

I caught (but of course did not land) a basking shark once, I thought he was going to rip off the downrigger on my port gunnel!!!

Oso - 4-6-2011 at 11:25 AM

A Bowfin.

baitcast - 4-6-2011 at 11:38 AM

A Bowfin!! Where did you get that Oso,around here,had to google that?
Rob

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2011 at 01:01 PM

A spotted ratfish.

It turned out that they appeared on our planet along the time of sharks and rays.

Hydrolagus_colliei.jpg - 48kB

baitcast - 4-6-2011 at 01:07 PM

Igor thats a slick looking sucker,WHERE?

Oso - 4-6-2011 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
A Bowfin!! Where did you get that Oso,around here,had to google that?
Rob

No, it was in a flooded sidewater of a lake near Raleigh, NC. It weighed 13 pounds and was nearly a state record. While pulling him? in, I had to scare off an aggressive cottonmouth moccasin throwing rocks at it. I can't remember if I ate it or not. I don't think they're well known as food fish but they definitely have a prehistoric look to them.

One of the prettiest and somewhat rare fish I've caught was a China Cod at Shell Beach, CA, They are called that because the markings resemble Chinese calligraphy.

I've also caught Garibaldi. I was advised to release it, so I did.

Cypress - 4-6-2011 at 05:15 PM

Oso, Bowfin are common down south, real fighters, also good to eat. Most people consider 'em unfit to eat. They have to be dressed fresh caught, the fillets need to be kept on ice, some folks soak 'em in vinegar. Battered and fried they're good.

moogie - 4-6-2011 at 06:14 PM

I caught a Humbolt Squid. I'm not sure if it's a fish or not, but it was strange for sure.

moogie - 4-6-2011 at 06:21 PM

I caught a Humbolt Squid. That was strange. i don't know if it's a fish or not, but to me it counts!
Moog

The Strange Squid

moogie - 4-6-2011 at 06:27 PM

moog squid copy.jpg - 19kB

elgatoloco - 4-6-2011 at 06:48 PM

Gold fish:dudette:

Golden Grouper.jpg - 47kB

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2011 at 08:29 PM

China rockfish are beautiful and fairly plentiful in my area. I'm surprised that Ken Bondy doesn't have a good picture of one.

mulegemichael - 4-6-2011 at 08:48 PM

caught two mexican hogfish one day trolling and was told they NEVER bite trolled lures...odd looking critters.

Cypress - 4-7-2011 at 05:45 AM

Tripletail AKA Blackfish. Found in the Gulf of Mexico. Like to hang out in the shade of any floating debris, grass etc. Very tasty! On a scale of 1 -5 , it rates a 5.

my lil bucktooth friend.....

woody with a view - 4-7-2011 at 05:56 AM

100_6571.jpg - 45kB

baitcast - 4-7-2011 at 07:25 AM

:lol::lol::lol.......Sh...t you two make a cute couple Woody:lol:

fishabductor - 4-7-2011 at 12:22 PM

Paddlefish... caught in MT on the Missouri river
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_paddlefish

Guitar fish...Pez diablo, pez guitara..caught off the eastcape at night...soaking calamar

http://www.google.com/search?q=guitar+fish&hl=en&rls...

dtbushpilot - 4-7-2011 at 04:45 PM

These little guys.....

baitcast - 4-8-2011 at 07:27 AM

My wifes comment about DT,s catch "aren,t those just the cutest things you ever saw":rolleyes: she,s a good kid:biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 4-9-2011 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
One afternoon at La Gringa in BOLA I got two 8"9" Bonefish of all things on a little white jig of all places!!!!

Yours,fresh or salt
Rob

Sure you did. Everyone knows there are no bonefish in baja.

Those baja red tides are really something, aren't they? :lol:

018_15.jpg - 50kB

woody with a view - 4-9-2011 at 08:05 PM

there aren't any in SD harbor, either....

baitcast - 4-10-2011 at 07:22 AM

How about this one Woody,Corvina now up to 10# in Mission Bay,this started just a few years ago!!!!

The question now is how did they get there?

Not Corbina but Corvina,and the lure of choice and not surprising is the Spook my favorite.

[Edited on 4-10-2011 by baitcast]

woody with a view - 4-10-2011 at 07:32 AM

just like the spotfin who used to maraud inside the bay, al the way back to around balboa ave in the toolies....

good to here. you sure they aren't baby white seabass? sea world raises them in the bay. escapees should be expected.

baitcast - 4-10-2011 at 07:37 AM

I,m sure will send a pic or two. The guys who post on that surffishing site get them all the time using topwater. at the bay.

[Edited on 4-10-2011 by baitcast]

An unusual catch!

Pompano - 4-14-2011 at 05:08 AM

A Fish Story........for all of you.

A guy who lives at Lake Conroe (50 miles north of Houston, Baja ) saw a ball bouncing around kind of strange in the lake and went to investigate.

It turned out to be a flathead catfish that had apparently tried to swallow a basketball which became stuck in its mouth!!

The fish was totally exhausted from trying to dive, but unable to, because the ball would always bring him back up to the surface.

The guy tried numerous times to get the ball out, but was unsuccessful. He finally had his wife cut the ball in order to deflate it and release the hungry catfish.

You probably wouldn't have believed this, if you hadn't seen the following pictures:

And finally the catfish is free to go. Bravo!

Hmmm...? Maybe keep a few basketballs in the boat for this year's dorado run? Might make a good magnet for flying fish..??..:light:

Marinero - 4-14-2011 at 03:02 PM

I saw some dead critters like that on the beach at the tideline in Los Barriles. Anyone know what the are?:?:

Marinero - 4-14-2011 at 03:04 PM

My Last post refers to this post.

Marinero - 4-14-2011 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
These little guys.....

Cypress - 4-14-2011 at 03:25 PM

Caught plenty of those catfish this winter while visiting down south, used a trot line. A trot line is a freshwater version of a long line. Caught way more than I needed, gave 'em away, finally just quit fishing.:D

Sallysouth - 4-15-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
China rockfish are beautiful and fairly plentiful in my area. I'm surprised that Ken Bondy doesn't have a good picture of one.
China Meru??