BajaNomad

Great Baja Fishing Video

moogie - 4-6-2011 at 04:21 PM

Hi all,
It's moogie.
Here's a video of some fishing we did in southern Baja.
Great stuff. . .Giant Cubera!. . .Hope you enjoy it.
Moog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HjEhitNb_o

KASHEYDOG - 4-6-2011 at 04:57 PM

Great video, Moogie. :yes:.. thanks for sharing. looks like your first post too. Welcome to Baja Nomad..:spingrin:

Cypress - 4-6-2011 at 05:25 PM

moogie, Thanks for the video.

moogie - 4-6-2011 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
moogie, Thanks for the video.

thanks for the kudos. . .
Yup, it's my first post. I've been looking around the site for a while.
for a while. I've been going to Baja for the past 13 years to fish and hang out.

Not too many of us from New England go to Baja.
Mexico is an evil place to go!. . .Didn't ya know?
Moog

Udo - 4-6-2011 at 06:19 PM

Great place to hang out...huh, moogie?

BTW nice roosterfish!

moogie - 4-6-2011 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Great place to hang out...huh, moogie?

BTW nice roosterfish!

Ya, great place to hang out. . . .Fishin', Tequila tastings, good food, warm weather. . . .Why am I here?

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2011 at 11:23 PM

Captain Moogie,

You're a sad excuse for a fisherman. You know that. People like you shouldn't be allowed to fish.

I hope you never post here again.

There are plenty of sites where your form of barbarism is lauded.

You may catch big fish but you're no fisherman in my book. There's a difference between blood sports and butchery to most fishermen. But you don't seem to know it.

Bah. Wish I hadn't opened that video.

1bobo - 4-7-2011 at 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Captain Moogie,

You're a sad excuse for a fisherman. You know that. People like you shouldn't be allowed to fish.

You may catch big fish but you're no fisherman in my book. There's a difference between blood sports and butchery to most fishermen. But you don't seem to know it.

WTF? I'm afraid you've gone waaay over my head with that comment. maybe you've never caught Humboldt squid, but if their brethren don't consume him, a marlin or yellowfin will.

JaraHurd - 4-7-2011 at 07:12 AM

Skipjack...when i watched it I was waiting for some of the antics you refer to ..but, to be fair, I don't think they were that bad. I am hoping all the roosters were quickly released after photos...i personally only keep one or two fish when i fish because I love eathing fish..but..I don't think the video what that bad...but I do appreciate people like you considering the issue that you refer to. I have seen way too many greedy and "ugly" fishermen in my time...but..i give these guys a pass....but I know what you mean...

moogie - 4-7-2011 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Captain Moogie,

Senor Skipjack,
Thanks for the reply. I applaud all comments however, I'm curious as to why you trashed me.

From what I can see, you fish too. Do you not use fish hooks?
Do you not use a gaff? Do you not use bait?
How do you fish?

In all my years in this industry, I have never had anybody say anything like that about me. Blood sports? Butchery? Barbarism?
I guess there's a first time for everything.

I think an explanation from you would be fair and necessary.
Since I offended you, I'm confused as to why. . . .After all, it's not like I'm slaughtering Manta rays off the beach in Las Arenas.

So, in conclusion, what did I do wrong? All I did was invite my fellow members to share a look at a Baja fishing video.
Moog. . .the Barbarian.

bajafreaks - 4-7-2011 at 08:23 AM

Great video, just made my morning. I'd go fishin' with you anytime. Welcome to the Nomad.

dtbushpilot - 4-7-2011 at 08:25 AM

Me thinks that senor skipjack is pulling your leg.....dt

ElCap - 4-7-2011 at 10:51 AM

Maybe gaffing the squid, then hacking your lure out of it's tentacles and letting the squid sink to the bottom got him a bit riled up. It didn't exactly give your video a warm and fuzzy intro. Squid are good eating if prepared properly, and there is also an active Mexican commercial fishery for those squid (Korean market). And hopefully Moogie will confirm that all those roosterfish were released after the deckside photos . . .

Tbone - 4-7-2011 at 11:41 AM

Great video

fishabductor - 4-7-2011 at 12:10 PM

I don't get why you'd cut off the body off the squid and just take the tenacles?? The body is excellent bait as well as excellent to eat when prepared properly.

There is a large domestic market for them and that would have fed a family or 3.

How did you catch those roosters? live bait or poppers? That location is directly in front of the estero just south of the marina, judging by the video and the background.

One can stay at the Presidente and fish those waters off the beach, it is only about a 10 minute walk north.

moogie - 4-7-2011 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafreaks
Great video, just made my morning. I'd go fishin' with you anytime. Welcome to the Nomad.

Gracias amigo. . .

moogie - 4-7-2011 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElCap
Maybe gaffing the squid, then hacking your lure out of it's tentacles and letting the squid sink to the bottom got him a bit riled up. It didn't exactly give your video a warm and fuzzy intro. Squid are good eating if prepared properly, and there is also an active Mexican commercial fishery for those squid (Korean market). And hopefully Moogie will confirm that all those roosterfish were released after the deckside photos . . .

Thanks for the reply. Mucho appreciado. . .
I make a lot of fishing videos, and every now and then, a viewer finds one distasteful. It comes with the territory. . . .99% of the time, it's always a non angler that doesn't like it.

All of my Humboldt squid fishing adventures in Baja, have been the same. Some may call it a slaughter, some may call it carnage in it's purest form. Man against beast.
No chivalry in Baja.

All of the Pangeros have their own method of dealing with the squid beasts, but the end result was always the same. Pieces of squid corpses floating down to the waiting hooks of the cannibal brethren.

Let's face it, anyone who has gone squid fishing with the fleet in Baja, knows how it is.
I say nothing. I'm just a paying bystander waiting for his Pangero to get the bait.
How he does it is his business.

I remember the first time I did a charter in southern Baja. I noticed that the Pangero had a machete in the boat.
I asked him what it was for. He said it was for the Needlefish.

I had no idea what he was talking about until I caught one, and the Pangero sliced the fishes head of with one swoop.
It was like watching the Samurai Delicatessen (John Belushi) on Saturday Night Live!.

Gutta' love Baja. . . .By the way, all of the Roosters were released, and we all used circle hooks as well.
Roosters rule. . .
Moog

The fact of the matter, is

Skipjack Joe - 4-7-2011 at 02:23 PM

It's about fishing ethics, Mr Moogie.

You body gaffed it, sliced it's face in half, and then released it.

That's like cutting a swordfish's bill off and releasing him.

Or cutting the fins off soupfin sharks and releasing the sharks to swim on their own.

I don't know what your intentions were with that squid but once you picked up that rod you had certain obligations.

It's not a free for all out there. Each fishermen has certain boundaries, certain lines he will not cross. You crossed that line, mister.

Your statement that we all use hooks and knives out there to do what we will shows me once again your lack of ethics. A true sportsman appreciates the seriousness of what he's doing and respects his quarry. Otherwise it's all savagery and blood lust and very little else.

Holding up large fish doesn't make you a hero in my book.

moogie - 4-7-2011 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
I don't get why you'd cut off the body off the squid and just take the tenacles?? The body is excellent bait as well as excellent to eat when prepared properly.

There is a large domestic market for them and that would have fed a family or 3.

How did you catch those roosters? live bait or poppers? That location is directly in front of the estero just south of the marina, judging by the video and the background.

One can stay at the Presidente and fish those waters off the beach, it is only about a 10 minute walk north.

I asked my Pangero why he did what he did.
He said that he doesn't bring the beasts into the boat. He won't take the risk of them squirting ink in the boat.
He also said that the tentacles make the best bait for Dorado, and that's what we were going for. . .We did great too.

They all have their own methods to their madness.

You have a good eye for location. The smaller Roosters were caught off the beach directly outside of the La Playita Marina just a short hop from the El Presidente.
They jumped all over our topwater plugs in the morning. Chrome finished Roberts Rangers did the trick.

The Pargo and large Rooster footage is from about 10 miles north of San Jose. We used live mullet for bait. We trolled them and pitched them.
Moog

moogie - 4-7-2011 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
It's about fishing ethics, Mr Moogie.

You body gaffed it, sliced it's face in half, and then released it.

That's like cutting a swordfish's bill off and releasing him.

Or cutting the fins off soupfin sharks and releasing the sharks to swim on their own.

I don't know what your intentions were with that squid but once you picked up that rod you had certain obligations.

It's not a free for all out there. Each fishermen has certain boundaries, certain lines he will not cross. You crossed that line, mister.

Your statement that we all use hooks and knives out there to do what we will shows me once again your lack of ethics. A true sportsman appreciates the seriousness of what he's doing and respects his quarry. Otherwise it's all savagery and blood lust and very little else.

Holding up large fish doesn't make you a hero in my book.

Joe,
Are you looking at the same video as everyone else?
I didn't body gaff or slice the squids face off. . .The Pangero did.

I just shot the video, and used the beast parts for bait.

There were no ethics to be considered in that situation.
There was no way that I would try to tell the Pangero his business, or step beyond my bounds and make comments on his life long way of doing things.

Would you?
I was always taught to "never bite the hand that feeds you".

I'm not the kind of guy that would take part in cutting the fins off sharks, and I surely wouldn't cut the bill off a Swordfish for a trophy and then throw the fish back, nor would I stand for it on any vessel I was on.

Yes Joe, I do draw the line, and that line ends with bait. The squid beasts are nothing more to me than bait.
Everything above that line gets the respect it deserves.

I hired an outfitter to take me out fishin' in a place where ethics, language, customs and the way of life is different than what I'm accustomed to.
I loved every minute of it.
Moog

fishabductor - 4-7-2011 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moogie
Quote:

He said that he doesn't bring the beasts into the boat. He won't take the risk of them squirting ink in the boat.
He also said that the tentacles make the best bait for Dorado, and that's what we were going for. . .We did great too.

You have a good eye for location. The smaller Roosters were caught off the beach directly outside of the La Playita Marina just a short hop from the El Presidente.
They jumped all over our topwater plugs in the morning. Chrome finished Roberts Rangers did the trick.

The Pargo and large Rooster footage is from about 10 miles north of San Jose. We used live mullet for bait. We trolled them and pitched them.
Moog

when you cut the head/tenacles off they can't spray ink.
Most guides here on the eastcape that I see, keep the body and use it as cutbait.

What did the big rooster weigh? was it taken on a ranger?

I took a 75lb rooster off the beach last yr on a 3oz blue/white ranger, this yrs best is a 50lb takn 3 miles out trolling a 12" white/green feather of all things. I also had on a 90-100lber on that ate about a 7lb peanut dorado...also about 4 miles out in 900ft of water. I got it about 10 feet from the boat and it let go of the dorado. It made the 75lb rooster look small.

I like blue/white, or solid white rangers in 2 1/4" and 3oz . If they are any other color I spray paint them. The chrome paint doesn't hold up and starts flaking off pretty quick, but they are good in low lite situations.

Both of the fish died from heart attacks. I have video of the 50lb fish turning belly up 10' from the boat The 75lb fish died 50yds off the beach and had to drug through the surf. 75lbs is a big dead weight to haul in on 40lb line in the surf! I brought them to our ranch and they were overjoyed, talk about a lot of machaca!

I have photos of both fish, but given the complications of shinking down the photos to post them here on BN I haven't bothered...or any other fish for that matter.

Vince - 4-7-2011 at 04:04 PM

Moog- I loved every minute of your video. Post more of them. I fished in that same area several times in the '80's. Time to go back.

moogie - 4-7-2011 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by moogie
Quote:

Moog

when you cut the head/tenacles off they can't spray ink.
Most guides here on the eastcape that I see, keep the body and use it as cutbait.

What did the big rooster weigh? was it taken on a ranger?

I took a 75lb rooster off the beach last yr on a 3oz blue/white ranger, this yrs best is a 50lb takn 3 miles out trolling a 12" white/green feather of all things. I also had on a 90-100lber on that ate about a 7lb peanut dorado...also about 4 miles out in 900ft of water. I got it about 10 feet from the boat and it let go of the dorado. It made the 75lb rooster look small.

I like blue/white, or solid white rangers in 2 1/4" and 3oz . If they are any other color I spray paint them. The chrome paint doesn't hold up and starts flaking off pretty quick, but they are good in low lite situations.

Both of the fish died from heart attacks. I have video of the 50lb fish turning belly up 10' from the boat The 75lb fish died 50yds off the beach and had to drug through the surf. 75lbs is a big dead weight to haul in on 40lb line in the surf! I brought them to our ranch and they were overjoyed, talk about a lot of machaca!

I have photos of both fish, but given the complications of shinking down the photos to post them here on BN I haven't bothered...or any other fish for that matter.

I used the same Pangero 10 times. I've never seen him bring a squid in the boat. I know they can't spray without a head, but my guy won't even give them a chance.

The big Rooster chewed on a live mullet. All of our plugs were useless after the morning bite was over.

Yup, I know that sometimes the fish fight themselves to death. More the pity.
However, there's always a bright side on the mortality issue, and that being the locals get some protein.

I go to Baja primarily for the Roosters. I could fish for them all day, every day. I find them to be totally exotic in their look and fighting abilities.

I had trouble re-sizing my pics too, but I finally figured it out.
I'm sure everyone would like to see your pics of the mega Roosters. . . .Give it another try
Moog