BajaNomad

Current price of eggs where you are?

Pompano - 4-7-2011 at 08:03 AM

Here's question for you.

My photo this morning shows ten eggs, not a dozen, which is usually the way one buys them in the states..and lots of places now in Baja. A full flat (36?) is often way too many.

Ten eggs normally suits our needs for a week, but today we were out and I had to make an emergency run to a tienda close by for these...not to Mulege.

I was kinda surprised at the price...so I'm wondering:

What do you pay for a dozen eggs (12 huevos) where you are? Has something happened in the egg market?

Idle minds want to know....

mcfez - 4-7-2011 at 08:15 AM

Our eggs are free here on the farm :P

Chickens will produce less eggs when it is colder / bad weather....hence...price may go up per unit.

Cypress - 4-7-2011 at 09:01 AM

Pompano, $2.50/dozen fresh from the farm, organic. Get a double yolk every now and then.:D

captain4tuna - 4-7-2011 at 09:20 AM

San diego...large dozen from Trader Joes---$1.69
Barron's Market------.79- local farm

goldhuntress - 4-7-2011 at 09:26 AM

I pay $1 per doz. My rancher friend has the best eggs ever! I wouldn't say they're organic because the food they eat isn't necessarily organic, but they are loose to roam all the time and are very happy chickens, as far as I can tell. Blue, white and brown in color.
Pompano- what was the price?

Pompano - 4-7-2011 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I pay $1 per doz. My rancher friend has the best eggs ever! I wouldn't say they're organic because the food they eat isn't necessarily organic, but they are loose to roam all the time and are very happy chickens, as far as I can tell. Blue, white and brown in color.
Pompano- what was the price?

Opps..sorry, goldhuntress..

I paid what I thought was a high price for the Mulege area, but also realize it is what the market will bear.

10 eggs cost me 20 pesos...or about $1.6950 USD at today rate

1 egg = 2 pesos...or about 17 cents

A dozen or 12 eggs at that store would be $2.04 US or 24 Mexican pesos per dozen.

That's not so bad, considering the out-of-town location. I just always thought Baja eggs were such a bargain. Guess I was wrong. Times have changed...again. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 4-7-2011 by Pompano]

goldhuntress - 4-7-2011 at 09:55 AM

I think Cypress and I get great deals on eggs, better than most. Organic free range eggs would be $4.50 to $6.00 per doz at farmer's markets in my area.

longlegsinlapaz - 4-7-2011 at 10:03 AM

$22.65 pesos for 18 eggs recently in non-remote La Paz....brown, not white shell!;)

Pompano - 4-7-2011 at 10:05 AM

Yes, those organics are certainly a lot higher price.....and are very popular these days.

I always read those 'organic' and 'free range' signs with a smile.

I grew up on a ranch several decades ago. It was definetely organic and our chickens wandered everywhere, along with the beef. :rolleyes:

Dang, I sure seem to remember that not so long ago, eggs were almost free here in Baja.

absinvestor - 4-7-2011 at 11:49 AM

3.19 for range free at King Soopers and Safeway in Wheat Ridge Co

BajaGringo - 4-7-2011 at 11:54 AM

We pay a peso an egg out here in our neck of the woods...

fishabductor - 4-7-2011 at 12:01 PM

They are free from our ranch, and they are organic.

When we buy them, we buy brown and in 18packs. I think they are 27-28 pesos at SJD mega.

What color is best?

mcfez - 4-7-2011 at 12:46 PM

The only difference between a brown and white egg is the color of the shell. Despite what you may have heard, one isn't healthier, more "natural," or more eco-friendly than the other. And there aren't any differences in nutritional quality, flavor, or cooking characteristics.

fishabductor - 4-7-2011 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
The only difference between a brown and white egg is the color of the shell. Despite what you may have heard, one isn't healthier, more "natural," or more eco-friendly than the other. And there aren't any differences in nutritional quality, flavor, or cooking characteristics.

We buy both...White in the states and brown in baja...Guess it must be our diverse lifestyle.

I like the brown better, maybe it's just me...but they seem to taste better.

The natural ranch eggs are much smaller than the store bought eggs.

You also have to crack them into a seperate glass BEFORE putting them with other food or the pan. Every once in a while you get a embryo, we even got the beginnings of a beak once time!

mcfez - 4-7-2011 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Quote:

We buy both...White in the states and brown in baja...Guess it must be our diverse lifestyle.

I like the brown better, maybe it's just me...but they seem to taste better.

The natural ranch eggs are much smaller than the store bought eggs.

You also have to crack them into a seperate glass BEFORE putting them with other food or the pan. Every once in a while you get a embryo, we even got the beginnings of a beak once time!

Hey Fish....look for open pastured (not a large building!) chicken eggs. They feed off the natural grass and insects......now that's a egg you'll notice! Yellower the yolk.....means that chicken was on the free range eating grasses.

Non free range chicken diets is made up of yesterdays cow, horses, dogs...ect that were rendered into......protein pellets :o

Diver - 4-7-2011 at 01:16 PM

We have 16 chickens - all organic and free to us.
We sell extras to the farm store for $2.50 and they get $4.00 !
We get about 10 dozen per week in the summer - pays for chicken food for the year !

$36.00 this a.m.

MrBillM - 4-7-2011 at 01:54 PM

Or, actually, $5.99 for two.

With Sausage Links, Hash Browns and Toast. Coffee and OJ extra.

At the Store ? Quien sabe ? Usually buying a dozen every week-10 days, they're cheap enough not to care.

The wife asked me about what we paid for something else (a non-food item) at Breakfast and I told her the same thing. "Quien Sabe" ? Cheap enough that we're not going to stop buying unless it went up double or more, so what's it matter ?

[Edited on 4-7-2011 by MrBillM]

Joelt - 4-8-2011 at 11:43 AM

I was at a friends the other day and they had local farm eggs that all had different color shells. Kinda looked like Easter eggs. They were told that the color depends on the food. The eggs were very good.

Cypress - 4-8-2011 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joelt
I was at a friends the other day and they had local farm eggs that all had different color shells. Kinda looked like Easter eggs. They were told that the color depends on the food. The eggs were very good.

That's interesting. Any pictures of those natural colored Easter eggs?:)

chrisx - 4-8-2011 at 12:07 PM

2 pesos = 1 egg
4 pesos = 2 eggs
half of them break on my bicycle
4 pesos = 1 egg

CP - 4-8-2011 at 12:22 PM

These little banty gals (Ethel, Pancake and Lily) do cost us a lot in feed, treats treats treats, and attention for their little one ounce eggs. But we get a lot more from them than just eggs. They are great entertainers AND keep our patio free of scorpions, centipedes and other yucky things.

Most interesting thing that I have learned as a chicken mom - the color of the eggshell is the same color as the chickens ear feathers.

Our Ladies.jpg - 30kB

bajacalifornian - 4-8-2011 at 12:26 PM

Quality?? Before moving chickens into the back yard & using eggs from local markets . . . yolk would break before it hit the pan. Shells were like pie crust, fragile.

Back yard ladies are big, fat, happy and lay an egg each, daily. Brown. Firm shells with yolks just perfect cooked over easy.

Surprising the volume of food that comes from the kitchen for them.

Cypress - 4-8-2011 at 12:39 PM

Yea, those "yard birds" are neat critters. Got a few "wild" turkeys hanging out around the house, fun to watch. Turkey season opens soon.:D

Bugman - 4-8-2011 at 12:39 PM

10 chickens in the backyard coop produce enough for my family, the wife's and some neighbors. Much better than from the store too. The yolks don't melt into the white when you crack'em. They are firm and stand up at attention. That they taste much better might just be psychological but I am OK with that :D

Cypress - 4-8-2011 at 12:47 PM

Ever been to a c-ck fight? :biggrin:

bajacalifornian - 4-8-2011 at 01:02 PM

I like the fights . . . chicken & bull . . . especially bull. Can't find them on Canadian TV as on SKY. Back to eggs . . .

DENNIS - 4-8-2011 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Ever been to a c-ck fight? :biggrin:

Twenty nine minutes of betting....one minute of fighting. I'm not for any kind of human inspired animal cruelty.
Give me a good ol' war any day.

mcfez - 4-8-2011 at 01:31 PM

Just to add.....since some of you currently are in Baja with chickens (well...not with em..raising em).....crush sea shell or any other source of calcium....the chicken will eat...and produce thicker shells. :light:

Bob and Susan - 4-8-2011 at 01:32 PM

if you buy less than a flat in mulege the price is per egg and higher

a flat of thirty-six is 33 pesos

Pompano - 4-8-2011 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Just to add.....since some of you currently are in Baja with chickens (well...not with em..raising em).....crush sea shell or any other source of calcium....the chicken will eat...and produce thicker shells. :light:

mcfez...that's eggs-actly what happened to the hundreds of piles of scallop and murex shells that were piled up around Concepton Bay for years and years. The one above is a very small one on south end of the Bay.

In just a couple seasons, they all were trucked away for chicken calcium grit.

The grand finale in the Conception Bay Scallops saga...like a funeral burial?

Cypress - 4-8-2011 at 01:49 PM

Yep! Reminds me of a grave yard. Went to the funeral services. RIP!

Joelt - 4-8-2011 at 02:13 PM

Cypress. I'm trying to get a picture of the colored eggs.

Joelt - 4-8-2011 at 02:29 PM

They ate em.sorry

mulegemichael - 4-8-2011 at 02:31 PM

joelt...the colored eggs are not dependant on what the chicken eats; it's actually a variety of chicken called aracaunas...they are known for their colored eggs..we have some up here on our farm...their eggs are indeed colored but usually not very big...taste just like a regular chicken egg.

DENNIS - 4-8-2011 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
the colored eggs

Here ya go:

http://www.eastergiftsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/e...

How many eggs in a flat ???

BajaBlanca - 4-8-2011 at 02:44 PM

hmmm Just bought a flat of eggs - 30 of them.

and the price is $37.80 pesos.

are there flats for 36 eggs or all we all just confused ????

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Pompano - 4-8-2011 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
hmmm Just bought a flat of eggs - 30 of them.

and the price is $37.80 pesos.

are there flats for 36 eggs or all we all just confused ????

YOU are correct, Blanca....30. MY bad. :saint::rolleyes:

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Pompano - 4-8-2011 at 03:17 PM

Hmm...I read where egg prices have risen 250% in the last 5 years in the USA.

A dozen was about $1 in most places back in 2005.

Maybe time to invest in one of the major egg producers?

High egg prices have been a boon to Cal-Maine Foods Inc., the largest U.S. egg producer.

A pair of portfolio mangers estimate the Jackson, Miss.-based company will earn at least $2 a share when it reports third-quarter financial results.

Cal-Maine (CALM 29.21, -0.24, -0.81%) earned $1.63 a share for the quarter ended Dec. 1 -- a sixfold increase from the year-earlier period. Lots better odds than Texas-Hold-Em at Ana's.

Edit to add:

Along with this, there's has been a 'rumor' of price-fixing amongs producers....but I have a very personal opinion of 'rumors' and their mongers. ;)

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by Pompano]

From My Comercial Mexicana Rosarito Receipt

Gypsy Jan - 4-8-2011 at 03:39 PM

Huevo Rojo Bachoco - $21.20 MN
X-Large Brown Eggs, carton of 18, $1.79 US

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

MitchMan - 4-8-2011 at 03:47 PM

Hey LonglegsinLaPaz,
Where do you get your eggs?

longlegsinlapaz - 4-8-2011 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Hey LonglegsinLaPaz,
Where do you get your eggs?

The ones I posted the price for just happened to come from Chedraui. But I've been known to buy them locally in Centenario as well....just no receipts from the small community tiendas.

TMW - 4-8-2011 at 08:08 PM

I bought a dozen eggs yeaterday at Albertson for $1.50 with discount card. The prices run all over the place. Range free $3.39, organic up to $3.69. Some brown and some white. I'm cheap.

oldtortisegrl - 4-8-2011 at 08:38 PM

free range hormone free are $3.39/dz in norcal. Conventional eggs $2.29 give or take. What did you pay?

willyAirstream - 4-8-2011 at 09:06 PM

Tope stores - S of Mulege $30 / flat of 30, sizes vary. Farm fresh.

gnukid - 4-8-2011 at 09:14 PM

feed yo chicken and dem eggs de free.

Large colored eggs at great price.

fixtrauma - 4-9-2011 at 01:43 AM

Grandaughter Madalyn holding the rooster that keeps our chickens happy!

Rooster keeping happy laying in the feed.

Madalyn and Elijah gatherin' the eggs.

Dozen of green, brown and white eggs. All of them with very orange yolks from happy chickens.

Green egg from an Araucana chicken. As you see, their eggs can be great size also. It is tipping the scales to the top!

Other than when we have young chickens, it is very rare to see a small or medium egg. We do miss these eggs when we are spending time across the border.

Joelt - 4-9-2011 at 04:53 AM

Those look just like the ones I was talking about. Some look almost blue.

Pompano - 4-9-2011 at 05:30 AM

Great photos and storyline, fixtrauma. Reminds me of an earlier life doing battle with a certain leghorn rooster outside when I was supposed to be inside the coop gathering eggs. I recall my mother's voice from long ago, scattering feed from her apron..."Here, chick, chick, chick..."

Your hen's eggs look much better than ones bought here in southern Baja. Plus the price you GET from having your own layers is priceless ...and you get to enjoy the look of wonder & discovery on your grandchildren's faces.

Bravo, amigo..you've given me the impetus for a new project Up North this spring. A chicken coop.

Extra-large multi-hued eggs coming soon. First I need to find my mother's old apron....."Here, chick, chick, chick..."

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 05:34 AM

That egg scale has to be older than dirt.

Bob and Susan - 4-9-2011 at 06:12 AM

i'm wrong again...

i look in the fridg...

the flat is 30 eggs

fdt - 4-9-2011 at 06:35 AM

In spanish we say;
Los huevos cuestan un huevo. ;D

absinvestor - 4-9-2011 at 06:47 AM

On the subject of eggs- I was always told by my mother and grandmother to refrigerate eggs. And, they always seem to be in the cooler in the States. However, we noticed on our trips to Mexico that they are never in the cooler. What is the story?

Pompano - 4-10-2011 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
On the subject of eggs- I was always told by my mother and grandmother to refrigerate eggs. And, they always seem to be in the cooler in the States. However, we noticed on our trips to Mexico that they are never in the cooler. What is the story?

absinvestor...Always trust your mother.

First, some info about buying eggs. Look further into the standards for "premium" eggs...so stated at your supermarket. It may not be the egg you think it is.. ;D

Organic eggs generally come from chickens that are fed organic feed (little or no pesticide and herbicide use, non-GMO) and are not given antibiotics unless necessary to control infection. They are given access to the outdoors for at least some part of the year, although that does not mean they actually go outdoors.

"Free range" and "cage free" are terms not regulated in the US, which means anyone can label any egg "free range" no matter how the chickens were raised.

The best way to determine how the hens are raised is to purchase your eggs from a farmer whose farm you can visit to see for yourself. Most of the farms in my home state have free range, cage free chickens these days.....which is just the plain old-fashioned way it's always been for small farmers all over the States.

Refrigerated eggs or room-temp eggs?

When possible.....one should alway purchase eggs from a refrigerator case at the store. Store eggs at home in their original carton, in the refrigerator, for up to five weeks after their purchase.

How to tell a good egg from a bad egg...and how to store them.

Like all natural foods, eggs are best consumed in thier freshest state.

First, check for freshness.

This is easy to do in the USA..
Check the expiration date. This would be stamped on the box or carton. There will also be a "pack date" shown in numbers from 1 to 365 (for example, 248 is the 248th day of the year, or September 5). Be sure you will be able to consume all the eggs before they're expected to go bad.

Forget about that in Baja. You will have to trust the word of your grocer about the eggs age and care. And of course, most are not refrigerated anyway, so that increases a possible health risk.

When buying from the farmer's market..or in Baja... where eggs have no stamped expiration date, hold the egg against a strong source of light. Look for the air bubble at the rounded end of the egg. The smaller the air bubble, the fresher the egg (almost invisible in newly-laid eggs). We used this method on our ranch when I was a kid making egg money.

When you get home, you can check this way, too. Put the egg in a cup of cold water. If it sinks and remains still, it's fresh; if it tilts or floats, it's going bad. If it sinks, it's good.

Weigh the egg in your hand. If it feels heavy for its size, it's good.

When you break the egg, a fresh one will have a thick white and a round and firm yolk. As the egg loses its freshness, the white becomes thinner and runnier, and the yolk becomes flatter and softer (breaks easily).

Break it and smell it. A bad egg smells like a bad egg. :rolleyes:

Refrigerate Until Ready For Use

Keep the eggs in their original cartons, with the rounded ends up.

Place the carton on the lowest rack or a little towards the back--the coldest areas of the refrigerator.

Keep the egg cartons closed to minimize exposure to strong odors.

Take the eggs out of the refrigerator ahead of time (to warm up to room temperature) for soft boiling or baking. Cold eggs will crack when dropped in boiling water, cold whites will not whisk well, and cold yolks will not blend well in sauces and mayonnaise. Your grandmother knew all this....

As a normal precaution when buying Baja room temp/unrefrigerated eggs, one should really learn salmonella symptoms, causes, & how to avoid getting sick.

Now...where's my Eggs Benedict, Co-Pilot?

absinvestor - 4-10-2011 at 08:45 PM

Pompano-thanks for an informative post. Ron

bajamedic - 4-10-2011 at 09:24 PM

Wow, you guys really know a good egg when you see one. JH :lol::lol::lol:

mcfez - 4-10-2011 at 09:28 PM

"Free range" and "cage free" are terms not regulated in the US, which means anyone can label any egg "free range" no matter how the chickens were raised.

One can have a barn of 10,000 sq ft. In it....one chicken per sq ft. That is legally called free range!!!!!! They the chickens just are not in a cage. Insanely misleading.

I agree...go to the ranch/farm and see the conditions. Or ask the seller about the conditions.

Good topic.

fixtrauma - 4-10-2011 at 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

First, check for freshness.

This is easy to do in the USA..
Check the expiration date. This would be stamped on the box or carton. There will also be a "pack date" shown in numbers from 1 to 365 (for example, 248 is the 248th day of the year, or September 5). Be sure you will be able to consume all the eggs before they're expected to go bad.

Hey Pompano...........I thought a "fresh" egg was when you could still hear the hen clucking about her achievment when you ate the omlet!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Never Met a Bad Egg (in the U.S.)

MrBillM - 4-11-2011 at 09:03 AM

EVER.

Shop the Best Price. Forget all the rest.

Having gone through the Chicken (and egg) routine more than once as a child when the Patron was going through one of his "Farmer John" phases, I have NEVER had any desire to do anything but eat them and their embryo.

Whenever the Vegan subject comes up, I like to say that I would never, under any circumstances, feel the need since there would ALWAYS be Chicken.

I HATE those little Bastards. Except on the table.

BajaBlanca - 4-16-2011 at 04:33 PM

according to my Polish husband ( who is always right ...big sigh ...) the way to tell if the egg is freshest is when you shake it and there is nothing loose inside. He does this with every egg here in Baja and you would be surprised at how many do NOT pass his inspection ritual :o