BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Current price of eggs where you are?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 08:03 AM
Current price of eggs where you are?

Here's question for you.

My photo this morning shows ten eggs, not a dozen, which is usually the way one buys them in the states..and lots of places now in Baja. A full flat (36?) is often way too many.

Ten eggs normally suits our needs for a week, but today we were out and I had to make an emergency run to a tienda close by for these...not to Mulege.

I was kinda surprised at the price...so I'm wondering:

What do you pay for a dozen eggs (12 huevos) where you are? Has something happened in the egg market?

Idle minds want to know....

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 08:15 AM

Our eggs are free here on the farm :P

Chickens will produce less eggs when it is colder / bad weather....hence...price may go up per unit.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 09:01 AM

Pompano, $2.50/dozen fresh from the farm, organic. Get a double yolk every now and then.:D
captain4tuna
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 09:20 AM

San diego...large dozen from Trader Joes---$1.69
Barron's Market------.79- local farm
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 09:26 AM

I pay $1 per doz. My rancher friend has the best eggs ever! I wouldn't say they're organic because the food they eat isn't necessarily organic, but they are loose to roam all the time and are very happy chickens, as far as I can tell. Blue, white and brown in color.
Pompano- what was the price?

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I pay $1 per doz. My rancher friend has the best eggs ever! I wouldn't say they're organic because the food they eat isn't necessarily organic, but they are loose to roam all the time and are very happy chickens, as far as I can tell. Blue, white and brown in color.
Pompano- what was the price?

Opps..sorry, goldhuntress..

I paid what I thought was a high price for the Mulege area, but also realize it is what the market will bear.

10 eggs cost me 20 pesos...or about $1.6950 USD at today rate

1 egg = 2 pesos...or about 17 cents

A dozen or 12 eggs at that store would be $2.04 US or 24 Mexican pesos per dozen.

That's not so bad, considering the out-of-town location. I just always thought Baja eggs were such a bargain. Guess I was wrong. Times have changed...again. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 4-7-2011 by Pompano]

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 09:55 AM

I think Cypress and I get great deals on eggs, better than most. Organic free range eggs would be $4.50 to $6.00 per doz at farmer's markets in my area.

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 10:03 AM

$22.65 pesos for 18 eggs recently in non-remote La Paz....brown, not white shell!;)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 10:05 AM

Yes, those organics are certainly a lot higher price.....and are very popular these days.

I always read those 'organic' and 'free range' signs with a smile.

I grew up on a ranch several decades ago. It was definetely organic and our chickens wandered everywhere, along with the beef. :rolleyes:

Dang, I sure seem to remember that not so long ago, eggs were almost free here in Baja.

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 11:49 AM

3.19 for range free at King Soopers and Safeway in Wheat Ridge Co
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 11:54 AM

We pay a peso an egg out here in our neck of the woods...

fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 12:01 PM

They are free from our ranch, and they are organic.

When we buy them, we buy brown and in 18packs. I think they are 27-28 pesos at SJD mega.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 12:46 PM
What color is best?

The only difference between a brown and white egg is the color of the shell. Despite what you may have heard, one isn't healthier, more "natural," or more eco-friendly than the other. And there aren't any differences in nutritional quality, flavor, or cooking characteristics.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
The only difference between a brown and white egg is the color of the shell. Despite what you may have heard, one isn't healthier, more "natural," or more eco-friendly than the other. And there aren't any differences in nutritional quality, flavor, or cooking characteristics.

We buy both...White in the states and brown in baja...Guess it must be our diverse lifestyle.

I like the brown better, maybe it's just me...but they seem to taste better.

The natural ranch eggs are much smaller than the store bought eggs.

You also have to crack them into a seperate glass BEFORE putting them with other food or the pan. Every once in a while you get a embryo, we even got the beginnings of a beak once time!
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

We buy both...White in the states and brown in baja...Guess it must be our diverse lifestyle.

I like the brown better, maybe it's just me...but they seem to taste better.

The natural ranch eggs are much smaller than the store bought eggs.

You also have to crack them into a seperate glass BEFORE putting them with other food or the pan. Every once in a while you get a embryo, we even got the beginnings of a beak once time!

Hey Fish....look for open pastured (not a large building!) chicken eggs. They feed off the natural grass and insects......now that's a egg you'll notice! Yellower the yolk.....means that chicken was on the free range eating grasses.

Non free range chicken diets is made up of yesterdays cow, horses, dogs...ect that were rendered into......protein pellets :o

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 01:16 PM

We have 16 chickens - all organic and free to us.
We sell extras to the farm store for $2.50 and they get $4.00 !
We get about 10 dozen per week in the summer - pays for chicken food for the year !
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 01:54 PM
$36.00 this a.m.

Or, actually, $5.99 for two.

With Sausage Links, Hash Browns and Toast. Coffee and OJ extra.

At the Store ? Quien sabe ? Usually buying a dozen every week-10 days, they're cheap enough not to care.

The wife asked me about what we paid for something else (a non-food item) at Breakfast and I told her the same thing. "Quien Sabe" ? Cheap enough that we're not going to stop buying unless it went up double or more, so what's it matter ?

[Edited on 4-7-2011 by MrBillM]
Joelt
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 11:43 AM

I was at a friends the other day and they had local farm eggs that all had different color shells. Kinda looked like Easter eggs. They were told that the color depends on the food. The eggs were very good.

Joelt
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joelt
I was at a friends the other day and they had local farm eggs that all had different color shells. Kinda looked like Easter eggs. They were told that the color depends on the food. The eggs were very good.

That's interesting. Any pictures of those natural colored Easter eggs?:)
chrisx
Banned

Mood: baj nomad is broken

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 12:07 PM

2 pesos = 1 egg
4 pesos = 2 eggs
half of them break on my bicycle
4 pesos = 1 egg

HEY GRINGO HIT THE BRAKES
SCAN THE ROAD AHEAD AT ALL TIMES
HIT THE BRAKES AND SLOW WAY DOWN
WAIT, PASS WHEN SAFE
HEY GRINGO HIT THE BRAKES!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.