BajaNomad

2011 BAJA GRANDE 4WD TREK

Ken Cooke - 5-1-2011 at 12:16 PM

The 2011 installment of the Baja Grande event was adrenaline combined with insanity. Just 3 Jeeps made the 957 mile trek across the northern half of the Baja peninsula over a 7 day period. Inhospitable terrain combined with killer bees and the lack of vehicle support that comes from a large group nearly brought Baja Grande to a complete halt. But with over 100 years of combined Baja travels between the four JustRuns participants, Baja Grande was still able to forge ahead.

Aaron Stephens showed what could be done in a 4 cyl YJ, while Jerry Caldera's 2000 TJ Sahara and Ken Cooke's 2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon struggled to survive.

Cooling issues and a snapped rear shock bar pin nearly caused a DNF for the Tomb Raider Rubicon. Thankfully, Aaron Stephens' fabrication know-how in the field kept the Tomb Raider in the game. A small crow bar was hacksawed and drilled into a bar pin on a dusty road outside of Gonzaga Bay, holding the rear suspension of the Rubicon together.

But the real excitement of the week came when Jerry Caldera's TJ Sahara developed intermittent fuel pump difficulties - in 95 degree temperatures - on the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE trail - 3 HOURS from HWY 1! Aaron's YJ struggled as it pulled Jerry's immobilized TJ Sahara up some of Mission Impossible's steep, rocky waterfalls. A blown tire bead slowed Aaron's momentum, but did not stop him as he provided logistical support in front of the two TJs. T

The Tomb Raider Rubicon stepped in as it was time to crawl the aptly named WIDOWMAKER sections of the Mission Impossible Trail, and with front and rear locking differentials engaged, entire Interco TrXus MT treadblocks were torn from the rear tires! Chunking is rare with these Baja-proven tires, so seeing entire treadblocks removed in a single afternoon had to be seen to be believed!

7 total hours were spent on the Mission Santa Maria de Los Angeles (or, Mission Impossible) trail before our group safely made it to Mexico Hwy 1 at Rancho Santa Inez. Our groups' final rockcrawl trail to El Volcan Canyon outside of El Marmol had to be aborted due to the uncertainty Jerry's Fuel Pump brought to his own return to the United States without assistance from a tow vehicle. All three vehicles stayed at the Mama Espinoza Resort in El Rosario before Jeeping north along Hwy 1 towards the USA.

Jerry and Aaron (also of High Desert 4x4) made the 6 hour trip from El Rosario to Tijuana without difficulties. A thorough going-over awaits Jerry's TJ before he returns to another backcountry trail.

Trailboss Ken and wife Leidys broke up the long drive to the US border with an additional night spent in Ensenada where a day trip included a stop at the famous La Bufadora tourist attraction. Motorcoaches dropped off American tourists by the dozens in this village teeming with vendors selling everything from freshly fried Churros to Mexican Sombreros. Full-scale raced-out Truggys shared the road with family minivans on the road to this hidden, but well-known Baja destination. A pair of Colombian flags along Hwy 1 in Rosarito Beach led to a gem of a Colombian restaurant which was recently opened, and featured gastronomical delicacies of Leidys' native country.

While not all of Baja Grande's 4WD trails could be attempted this year, our Jeeps were certainly put to the ultimate Baja test, and responded well to the rock and dirt-covered peninsula with overwhelming success.

wessongroup - 5-1-2011 at 12:48 PM

Nice job, thanks for the information.. and did you see that Rubicon for sale here... a nice job on that one

BajaBlanca - 5-1-2011 at 02:18 PM

kEN !! glad you are all back safe and soun. sounds like a major Bajaadventure !!

can you please give more information on the columbian restaurant ??? name - location - and suggestions of what to eat would be very appreciated.

hope you have a chance to put up pics soon !!

Ken Cooke - 5-1-2011 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlancacan you please give more information on the columbian restaurant ??? name - location - and suggestions of what to eat would be very appreciated.

hope you have a chance to put up pics soon !!

I have 500 photos to upload to various sites. Organizing them to upload will take a few days. :o

The restaurant is called Rincon COLOMBIANO
Tel: (661) 612-7595 Nextel: 152*14*54906
Blvd. Artesanal No. 301 Carr. Libre a Ens. Km. 29.5 Rosarito, B.C.

David K - 5-2-2011 at 09:23 AM

Got to see what in the world happened to you guys... Glad you are home safe!

Of our Lost Mission Team: 3 Toyota Tacomas, 1 KLM 690 cc motorcycle, and Baja Lou's big bad Bronco with quad trailer... only the quad trailer sustained damage, I believe... and Lou drove from San Felipe via Gonzaga to El Volcan.

Looking forward to your photos, Ken!

BAJACAT - 5-2-2011 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Got to see what in the world happened to you guys... Glad you are home safe!

Of our Lost Mission Team: 3 Toyota Tacomas, 1 KLM 690 cc motorcycle, and Baja Lou's big bad Bronco with quad trailer... only the quad trailer sustained damage, I believe... and Lou drove from San Felipe via Gonzaga to El Volcan.

Looking forward to your photos, Ken!
DK, you forgot my bad a#$%%^^&@ RAM, only a broken step..

[Edited on 5-3-2011 by BAJACAT]

marv sherrill - 5-2-2011 at 09:08 PM

David - what happened to the lost mission expedition?

Ken Cooke - 5-2-2011 at 09:20 PM

Here are a few photographs to look at!

David K - 5-2-2011 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marv sherrill
David - what happened to the lost mission expedition?

Just read about it as it unfolds Marv! Part 1 of my report is now posted: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52696

David K - 5-2-2011 at 09:40 PM

Ken, how about a full 'trip report'? Like where did you go the first day? The photos look like maybe Shell Island? Then I saw some of L.A. Bay, etc.

Thanks!

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, how about a full 'trip report'? Like where did you go the first day? The photos look like maybe Shell Island? Then I saw some of L.A. Bay, etc.

Thanks!

It's coming. Work gets in the way, sometimes.:yes:

David K - 5-3-2011 at 10:51 PM

I hear ya... and I just read your first installment, THANKS!