BajaNomad

LOST MISSION EXPEDITION 2011 (PART 2 of 6, LOST MISSION PHOTOS)

David K - 5-4-2011 at 10:35 PM

Continued from Part 1: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52696

Thank you for your patience...

I was stalling on the next part of my trip report to give time for the other members of our odyssey to catch up...

Where I left off in Part 1 was near the end of the 4 mile hike down Arroyo El Volcan... As we looked high up the cliffs to the location of the corral in elbeau's satellite images we could not see directly the level or semi-level area. It was out-of-sight, and some of us wished to find a way up there for a closer look... Now, if we only had a helicopter, like Erle Stanley Gardner did 40 some years ago!

bajalou had all the sites GPSed on his hand-held and I had the primary Santa Isabel site on mine... That was my goal: to get right to the spot that elbeau saw 'man-made' structures like arches, stairways, fountains, etc. If that was there, then we would look for the others places later.

On the Google Earth image, the site is just off the main arroyo, along a side gully...

Both images are looking southwest, up the side gully...

GPS of the site marked by the white ballon: GPS is 30º01.42', -114º46.29' (WGS84). Elevation is 1,701'

Here are the views as we near the final big S bend in the arroyo, see the corral area, and see the entrance to the LOST MISSION side gully (maybe call it Arroyo Santa Isabel?):

Interesting trench erosion up and over the ridge... Santa Isabel is on the other side!

That is the 'corral' area up above the cliff.

Ahead, on the left... are the formations marking the entrance to Santa Isabel arroyo!

Close up view of the rock face on the north side of the Santa Isabel arroyo, where it meets Arroyo El Volcan.

Okay, the next set of my photos I will share will be of the Santa Isabel site, and all around... :light::cool:

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by David K]

bajafam - 5-5-2011 at 05:53 AM

where's my popcorn?

Climbing into Arroyo Santa Isabel and arriving!

David K - 5-5-2011 at 08:17 AM

We turn towards Santa Isabel and begin the final few feet of the 4 mile hike!

(Vern Pic)

A dry waterfall is the only way into Arroyo Santa Isabel (Vern Pic)

Vern, José, DT, Phil and I make the climb.. and soon we see the site!

Vern photos me closing in on the site.

My GPS on 'ground zero' at the site!

To Be Continued... Photos of the site... lots! Plus much, much more of the surrounding country, La Olvidada and El Volcan Cold Water Geyser (including video)!

[Edited on 5-5-2011 by David K]

Skipjack Joe - 5-5-2011 at 09:34 AM

Nice buildup, Dave. Well done.

David K - 5-5-2011 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Nice buildup, Dave. Well done.

Thank you Igor... Well, TW wrapped up his report today! He and brother Bill and bajalou did not go into Arroyo Santa Isabel as the rest of us did... so he could not reveal what we found, in there!

My dilema, do I wait for El Vergel, dtbushpoilot, BAJACAT and XRPhlang to post or catch up to the point I left off? Or, shall I go first with the lost mission photos? I already showed you the GPS was on zero feet to go, as I stood on sacred ground!

Let me think about it, and give Vern, David, José and Phil just a bit more time to post their Part 1 or Part 2 reports!

dtbushpilot - 5-5-2011 at 08:27 PM

You have my blessing to post DK. I may go ahead and post the true story....I know what we agreed on in camp but I'm having a hard time keeping it to myself. Having to weigh the historic significance against my own greed has been tougher than I had anticipated. Other members of the group have contacted me having the same feelings....we all want to honor the agreement that we made around the camp fire on Saturday night but question our motives.......

All I can say is that I will do my best to keep the promise that I made on Saturday night......

[Edited on 5-6-2011 by dtbushpilot]

bryanmckenzie - 5-5-2011 at 10:37 PM

Okay. That's it! I cannot take it anymore. David, I'm driving down to San Diego tomorrow and I'm going to have to beat the story out of you. Sorry, you're the closest Nomad. See you after lunch. ;D

El Vergel - 5-5-2011 at 10:49 PM

DK, you go! Keep it clean, after all we do have vested interests and obvious consequences to everyone reading these posts.

CaboDreamer - 5-5-2011 at 10:54 PM

Better yet... through clan-descent means I have come across a photo of the lost mission...

bryanmckenzie - 5-5-2011 at 11:09 PM

Do share CaboDreamer ... I'm the biggie skeptic. Right, Beau? And hate I could not attend.

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboDreamer
Better yet... through clan-descent means I have come across a photo of the lost mission...

elbeau - 5-5-2011 at 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Do share CaboDreamer ... I'm the biggie skeptic. Right, Beau? And hate I could not attend.

Quote:

The only thing worse than how obnoxiously skeptical Bryan is is how obnoxiously correct he is turning out to be :no:

Actually, when it's all said and done, Bryans input has been very helpful and well thought out and ultimately even appreciated by me. Thx

AmoPescar - 5-6-2011 at 12:05 AM

DON'T KEEP US IN SUSPENSE!!!!

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Michael :yes: :?: :yes: :?:

capt. mike - 5-6-2011 at 05:34 AM

you guys sound like a bunch of clucking hens at a bridge party trying to decide if you all can or should keep some secret.:yawn:

well, women CAN'T keep secrets so whatever pact you thought you made at the sacred campfire will fall faster than the drunks from last nite's cinco mayo fun.

David K - 5-6-2011 at 08:15 AM

OKAY, OKAY... :rolleyes:

I will show you the LOST MISSION OF SANTA ISABEL (according to elbeau)!

Close up from Google Earth, north at top:

Rotate and angle for 3-D effect, looking southeast:

This is what elbeau sees in the Google Earth image:

HERE is what we saw:

Close up

Now, from across the small arroyo and up the other slope:

Arroyo El Volcan is in the background

Zoom in:

THAT'S IT! (well, that's all we have agreed to show you... you should have joined us!)

Seriously, there is MUCH MUCH more to this trip...

El Vergel and BAJACAT continued up Arroyo Santa Isabel some distance, as did dtbushpilot and XRPhlang (while I was climbing the north slope for the above photos)... BAJACAT gave something to the mountain (I will let him share that with you). We all got bloodied on the brush or rocks.

BAJACAT and El Vergel continued further down Arroyo El Volcan and found bigger pools of water (photos coming).

The hike back to our camp seemed much longer, as the temperatures were higher and water was running out...

That afternoon, after a good rest, we drove up to La Olvidada mine and also the small onyx mine at El Volcan.

The next day (Sunday) we explored the El Volcan geyser and surroundings... so STAY TUNED, plenty more high adventure and photos coming!!!

woody with a view - 5-6-2011 at 08:55 AM

great story. i was kinda hoping you guys would have found something.

new leaf, again!:P

bajalou - 5-6-2011 at 09:16 AM

Well, the good news first - I found my camera and the pictures are there.

Bad news (for some) - I'm heading out of San Felipe before I try to upload pictures at 100k upload speed.

So when I get to my other place - I'll share some of the secrets.

TMW - 5-6-2011 at 09:28 AM

DK when you got up close to the rock formations did they look altered in any way. Over time, a long time, wind, rain and sun can change things. I'm guessing you were below me and to the north. From the hill I could not see where it came out to the El Volcan arroyo.

When or if Elbeau comes out in the fall Jose and Vern should take him to the water pools.

elbeau - 5-6-2011 at 09:41 AM

Thank you DK. I have to admit, the site does look a little different in your photos than it does in my drawing:(

I'm working on the mother of all google earth files to document all this. In the very least you guys have documented this area better than anyone else ever has and I want to make that a resource for others.
TW, I'm going to make it out there, probably this fall. Jesuit gold or not, that's a beautiful arroyo!

Mexitron - 5-6-2011 at 10:22 AM

Nice adventure Dk, Lou, et al! Getting there is most of the fun anyway...hope I can join you in another lost mission trip. By the way---the treasure is buried up on Matomi peak---we packed it out in 1994 and gave it to charity. Just thought you should know.

David K - 5-6-2011 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
great story. i was kinda hoping you guys would have found something.

new leaf, again!:P

Thanks Woody, we did find something!: Freindship and a great time in Baja! (That's all I am allowed to say... we did take a pinky-swear oath, afterall!)

David K - 5-6-2011 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Well, the good news first - I found my camera and the pictures are there.

Bad news (for some) - I'm heading out of San Felipe before I try to upload pictures at 100k upload speed.

So when I get to my other place - I'll share some of the secrets.

Looking forward to them Lou! Have a safe drive back to the summer home... Say hi to Teina!

David K - 5-6-2011 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
DK when you got up close to the rock formations did they look altered in any way. Over time, a long time, wind, rain and sun can change things. I'm guessing you were below me and to the north. From the hill I could not see where it came out to the El Volcan arroyo.

When or if Elbeau comes out in the fall Jose and Vern should take him to the water pools.

Not any man-made activity... all God's work... it was great!

David K - 5-6-2011 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
Thank you DK. I have to admit, the site does look a little different in your photos than it does in my drawing:(

I'm working on the mother of all google earth files to document all this. In the very least you guys have documented this area better than anyone else ever has and I want to make that a resource for others.
TW, I'm going to make it out there, probably this fall. Jesuit gold or not, that's a beautiful arroyo!

If you can Google to provide higher definition images over that part of Baja, perhaps you will find it... and we are ready to go back again (and again)!

I have been asked by one of our Dirty 8 members to initiate the next adventure... a new search with excellent clues and a site that has been seen my modern man (then not again that we are aware of)!

I want to finish up our trip report of last weekend first, then we will get the ball rolling on the next High Adventure In Baja!

David K - 5-6-2011 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Nice adventure Dk, Lou, et al! Getting there is most of the fun anyway...hope I can join you in another lost mission trip. By the way---the treasure is buried up on Matomi peak---we packed it out in 1994 and gave it to charity. Just thought you should know.

I figured you did! :lol:

See Mexitron and his gang of treasure hunters on Matomi Mountain: http://vivabaja.com/mexitron

David K - 5-6-2011 at 09:28 PM

In case you go, and forget your GPS... X marks the spot!

BAJACAT - 5-6-2011 at 09:44 PM

I will not do a trip report, there is no way I can match what you guys have publish already.It was a pleasure to be part of the 8, deep in our souls we Khew that we would not find anything, but like Phill said "LIKE WE NEED AND EXCUSE TO GO TO BAJA".
We do not find a treassure or old ruins or the infamous jesuit gold, but we did find other riches.The stories told over camp fire will be treassure as if were gold, we had people from all walks of life..We had a Cheef,people in the comunications bussines,heavy equipment operator(my self),and arquitech and so on...

afther walking shoulder by shoulder for almost 10 miles , I came to a conclution.
All that you need to put a great group of people is give them hope and some ilussion and they will follow you anywhere...

It was not about the adventure it was more about guys bonding together sharing the same love for the land..
When I talk to Bill (Tom's brother) or when I would listen to his stories about his service years abroad..it felt like I Knew the guy, that kind of felling I felt with the others nomads.

I will do another trip with this guys with out even thinking about it,
If you ask me if i was bum about not finding the mission, I will have to say that I will not change anything that we experince in this trip... thanks all the nomads that make this a reality.

My hat comes off to Lou, he hike all those miles with us younger guys and his spirit never broke or neither i saw any signs of quiting, what a great guy he dind't have to prove anything but he did..

DK, your knowledge over the Peninsula of Baja California,is invaluable i should be ashame of not knowing even a third of what you know even do I was raise in this beautifull state...

I will not mention any names cause i dont want to miss anyone..but thanks for the great memories everyone..untill the next adventure maybe the search for DIAZ GRAVE...

As soon as i can get my SD memory card to work I will post some pix...

Vern, thanks for Lunch at San Vicente and also for walking a fer more bends with me.
DK thanks for lunch at El Rosario,tacos La Mission it's on my list of places to eat...

To finish this, DK mention that I left something to the mountain..
When we reach the mission site and realized that nothing was there we start climbing a little bit more, I was ahead of the guys so i went and climb one of the small peaks i was above all the guys I can see Vern walking up the wash but he can not see me..
In the movie BajaCalifornia El Limite del tiempo, Damian climbs a mountain and his guide(and Arce) tells him, "YOU DONT CLIMB A MOUNTAIN FOR NO REASON, IF YOU DO YOU HAVE TO LEAVE SOMETHING TO THE MOUNTAIN OR THE MOUNTAIN WILL TAKE SOMETHING FROM YOU", so a left my sunglasses on a top of a rock...

UNTILL NEXT TIME, IT WAS A BLAST AND ALSO A PLEASSURE TO EXPLORE WITH YOU GUYS...

[Edited on 5-7-2011 by BAJACAT]

[Edited on 5-7-2011 by BAJACAT]

Leaving the Lost Mission

David K - 5-6-2011 at 09:48 PM

Well, it was time to head back... so-I-thought!

Vern and I were the last out of Arroyo Santa Isabel, and climbed down the waterfall into Arroyo El Volcan.

Vern and José needed more adventure... so they headed further down the big arroyo (see El Vergel's thread with photos of what they saw!: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52725 )

A look towards the corral area, up there.

I head back towds camp with dtbushpilot and XRPhlang... we soon find the three others who scouted the corral area (bajalou, TW and Bill).

[Edited on 5-7-2011 by David K]

David K - 5-6-2011 at 10:00 PM

Thanks José, it was indeed a blast and I look forward to traveling with you along again! Thank you for the help in ordering the borrego tacos in San Vicente and specially for the cup of consommé (borrego broth)!

The final photos of the return to camp from Santa Isabel.

David K - 5-6-2011 at 10:21 PM

It was 4 miles from Santa Isabel back to our camp, I walked with David and Phil for about a half mile after we left the three Corral explorers (TW, Bill, Lou)... and decided to wait and see if any of the 5 were going to get a move on...

Tired of waiting, I decided to march on solo... About a kilometer from camp, I took a break in the shade of a cliff and after maybe 15 minutes, here comes El Vergel... We finish the trip back together.

Here are some photos of Arroyo El Volcan on the return:

This was mile 2 from camp marker (I did one at the other mile points, but this was the highest).

Stay Tuned for PART 3: La Olvidada Mine and a view of the Cortez, far below ... the the El Volcan Cold Water Geyser!

PART 3 is here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52779

[Edited on 5-7-2011 by David K]

AmoPescar - 5-6-2011 at 11:17 PM

Really cool looking stuff back in there...must have really been amazing when it was filled with water!

Thanks for sharing the adventure with us!

Michael :yes: :wow: :tumble:

David K - 5-7-2011 at 08:56 AM

De Nada!

PART 3 is now posted... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52779

bajafam - 5-7-2011 at 11:44 AM

very cool guys!! looks like a lot of fun was had in the search ~ a nice reminder that the best part is the journey!!

David K - 5-7-2011 at 09:28 PM

Thanks Michelle!

bryanmckenzie - 5-8-2011 at 11:19 AM

Thanks. No worries Beau. I've been known to see things, too. But they are usually tequila-induced.

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie

Quote:

The only thing worse than how obnoxiously skeptical Bryan is is how obnoxiously correct he is turning out to be :no:

Actually, when it's all said and done, Bryans input has been very helpful and well thought out and ultimately even appreciated by me. Thx

David K - 5-11-2011 at 11:20 PM

bump