BajaNomad

Almost Baja Dining

Gypsy Jan - 6-17-2011 at 07:16 AM

Blast From the Past, The Boll Weevil, Imperial Beach

So we were very hungry and tired after a long day crossing the border to attend an iPhone tutorial at the Apple Store in the Otay Ranch Mall.

We headed over to the Boll Weevil that is located in the far-most, inner corner of the Home Depot mall on Palm.

It was a nostalgic choice, because my family would frequently eat at the Boll Weevil when we would come to San Diego for the zoo, the park, the museums and the organ concerts.

The decor is basic, plain American style, with a pool table and a jukebox.

The food is basic plain American style - burgers, burgers, burgers. Oh, did you want Buffalo chicken wings/tenders or a chicken sandwich with your burger? They do have some salad options, as well.

The place was busy with tables full of military wives dining with their kids, sans hubby.

One table had a group of military guys arguing in a friendly way about who worked the longest hours or who had the hardest job.

The service was outstanding. The wait staff was friendly and prompt, without being pushy. When we ordered a plain burger to give to our service dog, the cook in the kitchen told the waitress to ask us if we wanted him to cut it into pieces to make it easier to serve it to the dog. We did and he did.

Not destination dining, but it was just a wonderful experience with very good people at the end of a very long day.

[Edited on 6-17-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

Eli - 6-17-2011 at 07:22 AM

Jan, I so enjoy your restaurant reviews. You do a very nice job of enticing me to places I expect I will never alas go.
I must admit I am amazed at some of the comments they provoke. Let's see where this one goes. :o:spingrin:

woody with a view - 6-17-2011 at 08:37 AM

all of the Boll Weevils we used to haunt are closed now. might have to check it out.

Bia freaks out about the name, but them burgers sure were good!

capt. mike - 6-17-2011 at 10:16 AM

i love the weevil!!!

only thing i miss about not working in san diego, used to go to the one in Bonita all the time!!

also down by the bay.

i hope they didn't go OOB.

wish they had some here. where i am. here.

BajaBlanca - 6-17-2011 at 10:33 AM

It is so funny that you should mention the boll weevil as it was one of the first restaurants I went to when I first arrrived in san diego as a college student !! It was a nice experience with their wood decor ... we went to the one on shelter island, I believe, in the point loma area. we didn't frequent it too much afterwards, we usually ended up at smaller ma and pa restaurants in the Ocean Beach area. They have 1 amazing burger place, 1 great Italian sub place, 1 very cool coffee shop. Should anyone be interested, U2U me and I will divulge the names but

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to the boll weevil

and perhaps, gypsy Jan, you want to email them and let them know how impressed you were. Nice comments should be heard by those who went out of their way to make your eating experience, esp. when you were so tired, so special. Maybe you did it already ....

bajaking76 - 6-17-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Blast From the Past, The Boll Weevil, Imperial Beach

So we were very hungry and tired after a long day crossing the border to attend an iPhone tutorial at the Apple Store in the Otay Ranch Mall.

We headed over to the Boll Weevil that is located in the far-most, inner corner of the Home Depot mall on Palm.

It was a nostalgic choice, because my family would frequently eat at the Boll Weevil when we would come to San Diego for the zoo, the park, the museums and the organ concerts.

The decor is basic, plain American style, with a pool table and a jukebox.

The food is basic plain American style - burgers, burgers, burgers. Oh, did you want Buffalo chicken wings/tenders or a chicken sandwich with your burger? They do have some salad options, as well.

The place was busy with tables full of military wives dining with their kids, sans hubby.

One table had a group of military guys arguing in a friendly way about who worked the longest hours or who had the hardest job.

The service was outstanding. The wait staff was friendly and prompt, without being pushy. When we ordered a plain burger to give to our service dog, the cook in the kitchen told the waitress to ask us if we wanted him to cut it into pieces to make it easier to serve it to the dog. We did and he did.

Not destination dining, but it was just a wonderful experience with very good people at the end of a very long day.

I used to go to one next to Deja Vu here in San Diego...:biggrin: But now you should try Red Robin....the Whiskey River BBQ Burger on an onion MMMMM!

HI, Sarah

Gypsy Jan - 6-17-2011 at 10:58 AM

Thanks for the kind comments.

"It don't make me much never mind", as my Southern Belle great grandmother used to say, about the reactions that come.

The internet is a pure democracy.

jenny.navarrette - 6-17-2011 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
The internet is a pure democracy.

...and anarchy. :rolleyes:

Hi, bajaking76

Gypsy Jan - 6-17-2011 at 11:01 AM

That's funny you should mention Red Robin. I used to work with them when they first came to the California market and I always thought that they were a quality organization.

When "en el norte" again, I will try to visit.

Wow.....you are good Jan!

mcfez - 6-18-2011 at 06:30 AM

You got a many places in the past that brings back good ol times. Thanks for that!

This place is legend. You know of it? I have been going there since I was 3 years old.

l.jpg - 28kB

wessongroup - 6-18-2011 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
You got a many places in the past that brings back good ol times. Thanks for that!

This place is legend. You know of it? I have been going there since I was 3 years old.

Ditto's, my Dad took me when about that age... used to stop by and get their mustard (as it is killer) when in the downtown area, plus it's right across for the train station.. used the train for a commute once for a year.. what a trip that was ... ...

DENNIS - 6-18-2011 at 08:59 AM

Quote:

http://www.philippes.com/

woody with a view - 6-18-2011 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
we usually ended up at smaller ma and pa restaurants in the Ocean Beach area. They have 1 amazing burger place, 1 great Italian sub place, 1 very cool coffee shop. Should anyone be interested, U2U me and I will divulge the names but

okay, i'll guess.

burger joint=Hodad's
sub shop=Poma's
coffee shop=:barf:

edit: OB, Point Loma and the one by the main post office are gone. they came back to the same spot in OB a few years ago but couldn't make it.

2 outta 3 aint bad!

[Edited on 6-18-2011 by woody with a view]

wessongroup - 6-18-2011 at 09:29 AM

Thanks Dennis... just order some mustard... :D

Eggs-Actly

bajaguy - 6-18-2011 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

okay, i'll guess.

burger joint=Hodad's
sub shop=Poma's

edit: OB, Point Loma and the one by the main post office are gone. they came back to the same spot in OB a few years ago but couldn't make it.

2 outta 3 aint bad!

Woody....what's the name of that egg place in OB that does breakfasts....omlettes?????

woody with a view - 6-18-2011 at 01:42 PM

Cecil's, Qwig's, Shade's.

there must be a dozen lining newport ave. the 3 above are across from the lifeguard tower with a view of the beach. get the calamari benedict.

you'll thank me later.....

krafty - 6-18-2011 at 02:02 PM

Broken Yolk?
Hodads is good but 5 Guys is giving them a run for their money-

woody with a view - 6-18-2011 at 02:22 PM

hodads has been there since day one. support your local shops. they don't make the best burger in the world, just OB.

Thanks, Krafty

bajaguy - 6-18-2011 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by krafty
Broken Yolk?
Hodads is good but 5 Guys is giving them a run for their money-

Broken Yoke it is.............and 5 Guys is great, when there isn't an In-n-Out near

Hi, mcfez

Gypsy Jan - 6-18-2011 at 05:00 PM

I am way tardy to the party on this thread.

You are talking about Philppe's in LA? I went there several times when I was attending post graduate business training classes,

I never could get beyond the lamb dip sandwich, which I loved, to try the "Famous Beef Dip".

Dave - 6-18-2011 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
5 Guys is great, when there isn't an In-n-Out near

You prefer In-N-out to 5 Guys? :O

DENNIS - 6-18-2011 at 05:19 PM

In 'n Out should be the name of a Laxitive.

OMG! kDennis You Just Made Me Laugh Out Loud at My Keynoard

Gypsy Jan - 6-18-2011 at 05:33 PM

And, thankfully, I wasn't sipping coffee.

Do you remember the bumper stickers in CA that were altered to to say "In-N-Out Urge"?

Kalypso - 6-18-2011 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
we usually ended up at smaller ma and pa restaurants in the Ocean Beach area. They have 1 amazing burger place, 1 great Italian sub place, 1 very cool coffee shop. Should anyone be interested, U2U me and I will divulge the names but

okay, i'll guess.

burger joint=Hodad's
sub shop=Poma's

2 outta 3 aint bad!

You guys are a hoot talkin' about food in San Diego :biggrin:

I think the coffe shop is Java Jungle (or maybe it's Jungle Java, I almost always get is backwards :rolleyes:)

Qwiggs and Cecil's are long gone. Hodad's is kicking a**. They just opened a new store downtown close to Petco Park. Hodads Downtown

Newport has tons of restaurants and A LOT of bars these days. Azucar the Cuban bakery is great, there's a drug store mid-block with a deli in it that makes good indepxensive sandwiches. Portugese place that no one understands how it stays in business, crappy greek and chinese, so-so Mexican, tho' the rolled tacos at Nico's are pretty good. Eat at Nati's at your own risk.

Shades and Poms still rock. Cattycorner from Poms is a really great little wine bar called The Vine; it's how OB does wine...good food, decent wine, laid back wait staff.

msteve1014 - 6-18-2011 at 05:44 PM

I have been to Philippe's about a hundred times, and have never had a french dip. We were always there at 6 am. You have to get the biscuits and gravy in the morning, with your eggs. It was one of the good things about working downtown all those years.

bajaguy - 6-18-2011 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
5 Guys is great, when there isn't an In-n-Out near

You prefer In-N-out to 5 Guys? :O

I like the burgers at 5 guys and In-n-Out, but the Minister of Finance and Director of Family Happiness likes the fries at In-n-Out........

DENNIS - 6-18-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Do you remember the bumper stickers in CA that were altered to to say "In-N-Out Urge"?

Not on my car. :lol:

jenny.navarrette - 6-18-2011 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
In 'n Out should be the name of a Laxitive.

Shouldn't that be "Out 'n Out"?

DENNIS - 6-18-2011 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Shouldn't that be "Out 'n Out"?

:lol::lol::lol:

tripledigitken - 6-18-2011 at 07:08 PM

Quote:

Legendary it is. My favorite is the lamb dip sandwich with blue cheese!!!

Ken

Bajafun777 - 6-19-2011 at 11:31 AM

Ah Yes, college days and boilweavel with pitcher beer that everybody lost count of how many we had,LOL. Though we seemed to always get someone to be our driver that did not like beer so more for us and safe ride home. WE also looked for all of the weekend bar free food as you drink beer to off set the cost of actually buying dinner and in those days 75cent draft or $1.75 draft pitcher beer was easy to find, OH YEA!!
Now, I like the "CheeseCake Factory," In Otay Lakes for their Cuban Sandwich or any of their burgers all good, Yes their beer is also very cold---Some things never change just less of it,LOL. Take Care & Travel Safe---"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Who's the tough oner here?

mcfez - 6-19-2011 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:

Legendary it is. My favorite is the lamb dip sandwich with blue cheese!!!

Ken

The dips were fantastic......double dip was a must. Slapping on that hot mustard......wow!

Now....the pickled pigs feet were to die for! yes....I said pig's feet!

All this .......eating on a common table with saw dust on the floors. Gods.....they dont make joints like this anymore.

elgatoloco - 6-19-2011 at 12:30 PM

Booweevil - home of the half pound steerburger!

All this talk of burgers made us head down to 5 guys in PB for a try. Got a double bacon cheeseburger grilled onions pickles. They need to 'beef' up the buns because the thing came apart before I was half way thru. It was tasty but I would take an In-n-Out next time. Hoodad's in OB still numero uno in this area for burger IMEO. :smug:

Philippe's is the best. My grandfather started a family owned a business on Verdugo road in 1931 and I grew up going to Philippe's. I remember the $1.99 complete breakfast and the 5 cent cup of coffee. I remember going there as a kid and seeing strange looking folks who turned out to be circus performers and workers who would meet there monthly for lunch. In the 70's I would go there with my gramps and we would be served by ladies that he had been served by for 30 plus years and knew him by name. Whenever we would go to Chavez Ravine we would always stop and get some sandwiches to take to the game and everyone who sat by us would ask where did you get that! Now I have customer's in the area and I get to eat there at least once a month. Lamb and blue cheese double dip with a side of slaw or potato salad and a slice of pie. I can hardly drive by the offramp without finding excuse to stop no matter the time of day. I ate dinner there about two weeks ago driving from Bakersfield to San Diego. yummy.

wessongroup - 6-19-2011 at 12:31 PM

Another one which is still pretty good... in the downtown area of LA... Langer's

http://www.langersdeli.com/

And been a while ... but used to catch a meal at The Pantry too ... some pretty good eating in downtown LA ...

http://www.pantrycafe.com/

BillP - 6-19-2011 at 01:37 PM

Another vote here for Philippe's lamb dip with blue cheese! burp!

DENNIS - 6-19-2011 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup

The Pantry

"Never closed. Never without a customer"

Well....almost. Remember when Riordan, mayor of LA, owned the place? [maybe still does] The health department closed them down for a few days so they could shovel out some of the dirt, grime and who knows what else.

Still high on my list of places to eat in that area.

msteve1014 - 6-19-2011 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Another one which is still pretty good... in the downtown area of LA... Langer's

http://www.langersdeli.com/

And been a while ... but used to catch a meal at The Pantry too ... some pretty good eating in downtown LA ...

Langers is a short walk from my old union hall on 7th. If I was there during the day the B.A. would allways take you there for lunch. Downtown really is a great place, just so far from where I want to live.

KASHEYDOG - 6-19-2011 at 05:37 PM

Boll Weevil..... Ah yes. Remember the slogan ? " It's not just a mouthful, It's a meal"
They were the best. had my first one in 1967 when I was still in the Navy. Never stopped eating them till they closed down. :yes:..:yes: I still long for one today.

[Edited on 6-20-11 by KASHEYDOG]

wessongroup - 6-19-2011 at 06:30 PM

"just so far from where I want to live."

Now ain't that truth... :):)

[Edited on 6-20-2011 by wessongroup]

elgatoloco - 6-19-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

The Pantry

"Never closed. Never without a customer"

Well....almost. Remember when Riordan, mayor of LA, owned the place? [maybe still does] The health department closed them down for a few days so they could shovel out some of the dirt, grime and who knows what else.

I remember when that whole deal went down. Some claimed it was all political because they shut him down for infractions that normally only required fixing the issue. He had made some enemies in health department and they had to put guards at the doors because they could not find the keys since they had "never closed". Rirodan still does own the joint. We went to a Lakers game at Staples this year and spent the night in La La land and had breakfast there Sunday morning. Good eats and history.