Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Almost Baja Dining
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 07:16 AM
Almost Baja Dining

Blast From the Past, The Boll Weevil, Imperial Beach

So we were very hungry and tired after a long day crossing the border to attend an iPhone tutorial at the Apple Store in the Otay Ranch Mall.

We headed over to the Boll Weevil that is located in the far-most, inner corner of the Home Depot mall on Palm.

It was a nostalgic choice, because my family would frequently eat at the Boll Weevil when we would come to San Diego for the zoo, the park, the museums and the organ concerts.

The decor is basic, plain American style, with a pool table and a jukebox.

The food is basic plain American style - burgers, burgers, burgers. Oh, did you want Buffalo chicken wings/tenders or a chicken sandwich with your burger? They do have some salad options, as well.

The place was busy with tables full of military wives dining with their kids, sans hubby.

One table had a group of military guys arguing in a friendly way about who worked the longest hours or who had the hardest job.

The service was outstanding. The wait staff was friendly and prompt, without being pushy. When we ordered a plain burger to give to our service dog, the cook in the kitchen told the waitress to ask us if we wanted him to cut it into pieces to make it easier to serve it to the dog. We did and he did.

Not destination dining, but it was just a wonderful experience with very good people at the end of a very long day.

[Edited on 6-17-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 07:22 AM

Jan, I so enjoy your restaurant reviews. You do a very nice job of enticing me to places I expect I will never alas go.
I must admit I am amazed at some of the comments they provoke. Let's see where this one goes. :o:spingrin:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 08:37 AM

all of the Boll Weevils we used to haunt are closed now. might have to check it out.

Bia freaks out about the name, but them burgers sure were good!

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 10:16 AM

i love the weevil!!!

only thing i miss about not working in san diego, used to go to the one in Bonita all the time!!

also down by the bay.

i hope they didn't go OOB.

wish they had some here. where i am. here.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 10:33 AM

It is so funny that you should mention the boll weevil as it was one of the first restaurants I went to when I first arrrived in san diego as a college student !! It was a nice experience with their wood decor ... we went to the one on shelter island, I believe, in the point loma area. we didn't frequent it too much afterwards, we usually ended up at smaller ma and pa restaurants in the Ocean Beach area. They have 1 amazing burger place, 1 great Italian sub place, 1 very cool coffee shop. Should anyone be interested, U2U me and I will divulge the names but

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to the boll weevil

and perhaps, gypsy Jan, you want to email them and let them know how impressed you were. Nice comments should be heard by those who went out of their way to make your eating experience, esp. when you were so tired, so special. Maybe you did it already ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaking76
Nomad

Mood: If Baja calls, I am home.

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Blast From the Past, The Boll Weevil, Imperial Beach

So we were very hungry and tired after a long day crossing the border to attend an iPhone tutorial at the Apple Store in the Otay Ranch Mall.

We headed over to the Boll Weevil that is located in the far-most, inner corner of the Home Depot mall on Palm.

It was a nostalgic choice, because my family would frequently eat at the Boll Weevil when we would come to San Diego for the zoo, the park, the museums and the organ concerts.

The decor is basic, plain American style, with a pool table and a jukebox.

The food is basic plain American style - burgers, burgers, burgers. Oh, did you want Buffalo chicken wings/tenders or a chicken sandwich with your burger? They do have some salad options, as well.

The place was busy with tables full of military wives dining with their kids, sans hubby.

One table had a group of military guys arguing in a friendly way about who worked the longest hours or who had the hardest job.

The service was outstanding. The wait staff was friendly and prompt, without being pushy. When we ordered a plain burger to give to our service dog, the cook in the kitchen told the waitress to ask us if we wanted him to cut it into pieces to make it easier to serve it to the dog. We did and he did.

Not destination dining, but it was just a wonderful experience with very good people at the end of a very long day.

I used to go to one next to Deja Vu here in San Diego...:biggrin: But now you should try Red Robin....the Whiskey River BBQ Burger on an onion MMMMM!

\"That\'s my thing, that\'s what I do\"
\"Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!\"
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 10:58 AM
HI, Sarah

Thanks for the kind comments.

"It don't make me much never mind", as my Southern Belle great grandmother used to say, about the reactions that come.

The internet is a pure democracy.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
jenny.navarrette
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
The internet is a pure democracy.

...and anarchy. :rolleyes:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 11:01 AM
Hi, bajaking76

That's funny you should mention Red Robin. I used to work with them when they first came to the California market and I always thought that they were a quality organization.

When "en el norte" again, I will try to visit.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 06:30 AM
Wow.....you are good Jan!

You got a many places in the past that brings back good ol times. Thanks for that!

This place is legend. You know of it? I have been going there since I was 3 years old.

l.jpg - 28kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
You got a many places in the past that brings back good ol times. Thanks for that!

This place is legend. You know of it? I have been going there since I was 3 years old.

Ditto's, my Dad took me when about that age... used to stop by and get their mustard (as it is killer) when in the downtown area, plus it's right across for the train station.. used the train for a commute once for a year.. what a trip that was ... ...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

http://www.philippes.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
we usually ended up at smaller ma and pa restaurants in the Ocean Beach area. They have 1 amazing burger place, 1 great Italian sub place, 1 very cool coffee shop. Should anyone be interested, U2U me and I will divulge the names but

okay, i'll guess.

burger joint=Hodad's
sub shop=Poma's
coffee shop=:barf:

edit: OB, Point Loma and the one by the main post office are gone. they came back to the same spot in OB a few years ago but couldn't make it.

2 outta 3 aint bad!

[Edited on 6-18-2011 by woody with a view]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 09:29 AM

Thanks Dennis... just order some mustard... :D

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 09:46 AM
Eggs-Actly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

okay, i'll guess.

burger joint=Hodad's
sub shop=Poma's
coffee shop=:barf:

edit: OB, Point Loma and the one by the main post office are gone. they came back to the same spot in OB a few years ago but couldn't make it.

2 outta 3 aint bad!

[Edited on 6-18-2011 by woody with a view]

Woody....what's the name of that egg place in OB that does breakfasts....omlettes?????

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 01:42 PM

Cecil's, Qwig's, Shade's.

there must be a dozen lining newport ave. the 3 above are across from the lifeguard tower with a view of the beach. get the calamari benedict.

you'll thank me later.....

krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 02:02 PM

Broken Yolk?
Hodads is good but 5 Guys is giving them a run for their money-
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 02:22 PM

hodads has been there since day one. support your local shops. they don't make the best burger in the world, just OB.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 04:23 PM
Thanks, Krafty

Quote:
Originally posted by krafty
Broken Yolk?
Hodads is good but 5 Guys is giving them a run for their money-

Broken Yoke it is.............and 5 Guys is great, when there isn't an In-n-Out near

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 05:00 PM
Hi, mcfez

I am way tardy to the party on this thread.

You are talking about Philppe's in LA? I went there several times when I was attending post graduate business training classes,

I never could get beyond the lamb dip sandwich, which I loved, to try the "Famous Beef Dip".

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.