BajaNomad

Immigration at Gurerro Negro

dtbushpilot - 8-25-2011 at 09:03 PM

First let me say that I can never remember if the first r or second r in Gurrero is the double one but I hope that my buddy DK will chime in and set me straight.
I was asked for my immigration papers by a very polite immigration officer at the 28th parallel today at about 4:00pm....I wonder if he would have remained polite if I didn't have any.
This is the first time in 15 years that I have been asked for my papers.....fyi.....dt

btw: my spell check says both ways of spelling it are incorrect...I must have pressed one for English on my spell checker:lol::lol:

David K - 8-25-2011 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
First let me say that I can never remember if the first r or second r in Gurrero is the double one but I hope that my buddy DK will chime in and set me straight.
I was asked for my immigration papers by a very polite immigration officer at the 28th parallel today at about 4:00pm....I wonder if he would have remained polite if I didn't have any.
This is the first time in 15 years that I have been asked for my papers.....fyi.....dt

btw: my spell check says both ways of spelling it are incorrect...I must have pressed one for English on my spell checker:lol::lol:

You got the r's correct, but you forgot the e !! :light: GUERRERO (it means 'warrior')

BajaBlanca - 8-26-2011 at 07:34 PM

first time in 15 years .. wow ! that is a good record. we used to be asked all the time but for the last year, nada.

BajaDanD - 8-26-2011 at 09:47 PM

is it open all night

David K - 8-27-2011 at 09:09 AM

While my trips into Baja Sur are not nearly as frequent as into Baja Norte, every time I cross at the Eagle Monument (near Guerrero Negro), I have been asked for my Tourist Card... since 2001. Before then (a few years before), they were checked at Maneadero, south of Ensenada... but it was a 'choice' to pull over there.

Ateo - 8-27-2011 at 09:54 AM

I don't understand how some people get checked every time passing thru GN. I haven't been asked for my tourist card at GN since maybe 1998.

David K - 8-27-2011 at 10:01 AM

Do you get the underside of your vehicle sprayed (and pay the 10-20 pesos)?

There is an alto there, just south of the monument, the migra guy walks up first to see the tourist cards, then the ag guy collects his fee, and you drive over the sprayers.

Coming north I have never been asked to show my tourist card, however... but others have.

Phil S - 8-27-2011 at 10:13 AM

Has anyone ever verified what the heck the "liquid" is that is sprayed on our cars undercarriage???? Actually seen the barrel or whatever it is poured from and read what it says?

dizzyspots - 8-28-2011 at 04:18 AM

h two oh?

woody with a view - 8-28-2011 at 06:37 AM

anyone know if the hiway cops are still setup at Las Canadas stopping cars? last two times past i zoomed through but they were talking to stopped cars both times....

Marc - 8-28-2011 at 07:16 AM

The past 20 years; sometimes they check & sometimes they don't. Come to think of it, I do not remember being stopped for visa check before 1996?? I figure if I don't have paperwork I will be stopped for sure.

Marc - 8-28-2011 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
anyone know if the hiway cops are still setup at Las Canadas stopping cars? last two times past i zoomed through but they were talking to stopped cars both times....

Need to be careful through that whole stretch.

Alan - 8-28-2011 at 09:51 AM

I think the IMN officers go home about 4:30 because I've been checked if I stayed the previous night in El Rosario and hit it during the day but when I drive straight through to GN to spend the night the office is closed by the time I arrive.

BajaGeoff - 8-29-2011 at 03:40 PM

I got asked last year at GN, but not this year. Still had to do the pay and spray both times though....

Bajafun777 - 8-29-2011 at 03:53 PM

Last October got asked for mine when we drove down to Cabo from Las Gaviotas. We also had to pay for the spray that the ag guy was doing. It smelled so it was not just water. LOL Take Care & Travel Safe--- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

mulegemichael - 8-29-2011 at 04:48 PM

never....not once...since a long long time ago...did the round trip 5 times in the jimena ano and not even a slowdown...in fact, got waved through the underside washdown a couple of times; guess they saw the truck a comin'...loaded down wit' goodies...

Marc - 8-31-2011 at 05:18 PM

Isn't the spray at GN a "donation" and not a mandatory payment??

ddawson - 8-31-2011 at 07:31 PM

Went through (Southbound) mid Aug and we were not asked for papers. We did have to pay 20 pesos for the spray.

burnrope - 9-2-2011 at 12:12 PM

It's been mentioned before, but if you look at Google Maps in GN area, you'll see that it's pretty easy to bypass the checkpoint and bug spray. Not that I'd recommend it.

David K - 9-2-2011 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by burnrope
It's been mentioned before, but if you look at Google Maps in GN area, you'll see that it's pretty easy to bypass the checkpoint and bug spray. Not that I'd recommend it.

It is a tax for using Hwy. 1, since there are other roads across the state border that don't require a spray or papers inspection... and there is NOTHING ILLEGAL about using the other roads. They cross near Mision Santa Gertrudis, near El Arco and near Guerrero Negro.

Marinero - 9-2-2011 at 10:57 PM

20 Pesos, folks? Get real! Put the receipt on your dashboard and brag to your gringo guest about how you contribute to the Mexican infrastructuer. LOL (I love that stop)

J.P. - 9-3-2011 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

It is a tax for using Hwy. 1, since there are other roads across the state border that don't require a spray or papers inspection... and there is NOTHING ILLEGAL about using the other roads. They cross near Mision Santa Gertrudis, near El Arco and near Guerrero Negro.

If you dhoose to use the "other roads" you are TOO CHEAP TO BE IN BAJA. and I hope you dont need any services that may be avalible.:fire::fire:

tiotomasbcs - 9-3-2011 at 07:21 PM

Its soap, boyz! Jabon. Why don't you just give them a $100? I have refused and they just wave me thru? Was 10p & now $20---inflation...down at the Cantina, ha, ha! Too Cool! Tio

Paulina - 9-3-2011 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Quote:

If you dhoose to use the "other roads" you are TOO CHEAP TO BE IN BAJA. and I hope you dont need any services that may be avalible.:fire::fire:

Using the other road has nothing to do with being cheap. It's time saving, specially if you have business in G.R. You get in and out of town, no big deal.

P>*)))>{

ncampion - 9-4-2011 at 08:22 AM

I wish the spray was strong enough to wash all the salt encrusted mud off the underside of my car. I think the whole thing will rust away in a few more years.

David K - 9-4-2011 at 10:44 AM

I have never used the Guerrero Negro bypass, but because some folks think it is criminal to do so, I just wanted to add the fact that other roads cross the border freely...

burnrope - 9-7-2011 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Quote:

It's not that I'm too cheap to be in Baja. I was just pointing it out. I've always gotten my visa there, because the guy that works it rides dirt bikes and we would always give him tires, chains and tubes. I don't know if he's still there, it's been awhile since I've been through there.

Would like for a nomad to find the chemical name,... any volunteeers driving through soon????????

mtgoat666 - 9-7-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Has anyone ever verified what the heck the "liquid" is that is sprayed on our cars undercarriage???? Actually seen the barrel or whatever it is poured from and read what it says?

Why don't you ask to see the MSDS (material safety data sheet) next time you drive through? In Mexico the MSDS is called an HDS (hojas de datos de seguridad).

Would like for a nomad to find the chemical name,... any volunteeers driving through soon????????

David K - 9-7-2011 at 12:35 PM

DDT maybe? It works real well, too good in fact.

Terry28 - 9-7-2011 at 01:28 PM

Every time we have gone through there, I just told them : no spray, we have a dog in the car" they didn't spray but still collected the pesos!!
The last time they had an automatic sprayer so they just turned it off.
Works for us..

RnR - 9-7-2011 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S

Why don't you ask to see the MSDS (material safety data sheet) next time you drive through? In Mexico the MSDS is called an HDS (hojas de datos de seguridad).

I did ask them about five years ago.

At that time, it was Malathion.

Turist card

mondo - 9-7-2011 at 06:12 PM

A buddy and i are driving to Loreto next month. I went to the Mexican Consulant in Fresno and ask if we needed turist cards and the Senior there told me no if we were there less than 6 months. But now, from what i'm reading now that is wrong. Help! Mondo

woody with a view - 9-7-2011 at 06:13 PM

yes, help. you need to get it at the tj border.

David K - 9-8-2011 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mondo
A buddy and i are driving to Loreto next month. I went to the Mexican Consulant in Fresno and ask if we needed turist cards and the Senior there told me no if we were there less than 6 months. But now, from what i'm reading now that is wrong. Help! Mondo

A Tourist Card ('FMM', formerly FM-T) is required for any travel south of the 'border region', or in the border region if you stay longer than 72 hours.

The 'border region' hasn't been clearly defined in recent years, but originally extended to Maneadero on the Pacific side and usually to San Felipe on the Gulf side. There is no inspection for them until you reach the state border at the Eagle Monument, near Guerrero Negro. Fines of $100 (dollars) have been given for not obtaining the FMM at Mexican border (see trip report from edm-1 of last July).

The INM office at the border is where you obtain the FMM, and they require a valid passport now. It is free for up to 7 days, or about US$23 for up to 180 days. Pull into the 'Something to Declare' area at the border... and walk to the INM office facing the parking area. There is a bank teller a few windows down for paying the fee for over 7 day FMM. Other borders may not have a nearby bank so it is more difficult to process than at Tijuana. A pre-paid FMM can be obtained at Discover Baja Travel Club in San Diego if you use a different border to enter Mexico.

tourist card, thanks

mondo - 9-10-2011 at 04:21 PM

First thanks to Woody and David for the responses. I should of been more presice in my questions. We will be crossing at the old or west crossing in Mexicali around 6 to 8am on a Thursday. I understand the Immigration office is to the right just after crossing the boarder. Is that correct and is there a bank there that will be open at that time. If no bank is open then and there can we do all or part of the process in San Felipe later in the day. thanks, Mondo

Bajaboy - 9-10-2011 at 04:46 PM

DK-
As I posted above the bank at San Ysidro crossing is now closed...or at least that was the case when we crossed in June. The Immigration guys said we could pay at any bank during our trip. Unfortunately, they did not give us the papers to do so. We tried to pay in Vizcaino but to no avail. I am going to follow up the Immigration at SY when my son and I head back down in a few weeks.

Zac

UnoMas - 9-10-2011 at 08:28 PM

Get your FMM at the border, do not believe anyone, anywhere be it the States or Mexico about where you can pay to complete your tourist permit. Do it at the border or prior to entering Mexico. If you get to GN and do not have it, and are asked for it, or any where else for that matter plan to pay a hefty fine. Your choice!:biggrin:

David K - 9-10-2011 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
DK-
As I posted above the bank at San Ysidro crossing is now closed...or at least that was the case when we crossed in June. The Immigration guys said we could pay at any bank during our trip. Unfortunately, they did not give us the papers to do so. We tried to pay in Vizcaino but to no avail. I am going to follow up the Immigration at SY when my son and I head back down in a few weeks.

Zac

Then buying a PrePaid one at Discover Baja would be the best, hassle-free method... and stop only to get it stamped when you enter Mexico.

Ateo - 9-11-2011 at 10:11 AM

Last time I pulled into get my tourist card in TJ the officers made me unload my entire truck because I was in the "something to declare parking lot". I tried explaining I had nothing to declare but was just stopping to get my tourist card. That dude made me unpack my entire truck, which took about 2 hours to pack the night before. It really sucked and delayed my entire trip. I will never stop there again for my TC. Ensenada.....

Otay

bajaguy - 9-11-2011 at 10:14 AM

I always suggest to visitors that they obtain their cards at Otay by walking across, getting the card, and returning through the US pedestrian lane. Takes about 15 minutes.

David K - 9-11-2011 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I always suggest to visitors that they obtain their cards at Otay by walking across, getting the card, and returning through the US pedestrian lane. Takes about 15 minutes.

Where is it you park on the U.S. side exactly?

bajaguy - 9-11-2011 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Where is it you park on the U.S. side exactly?

In the US Customs/CBP public parking lot. Take the footbridge over the inspection lanes, cross into Mexico, go to INM/bank/INM, walk across the lanes to the US pedestrian entry line.

[Edited on 9-12-2011 by bajaguy]

BajaBlanca - 9-11-2011 at 07:10 PM

bajaboy - even though they tell you in TJ that the "bank" is closed, it is not true. walk up to the window and KNOCK. the person will pop up from sleep and take your money...I am not sure why they tell you it is closed (siesta time ? break time ? sleep time?) but they are open 24/7.

We have gone thru the declare lane before to get our FMM and never had to unload - thank goodness because it would take waaay longer than 2 hours and Les wd be very mucho mad.

we shall be going to guerrero negro this week and can ask what the spray is ...

Bajaboy - 9-11-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
bajaboy - even though they tell you in TJ that the "bank" is closed, it is not true. walk up to the window and KNOCK. the person will pop up from sleep and take your money...I am not sure why they tell you it is closed (siesta time ? break time ? sleep time?) but they are open 24/7.

We have gone thru the declare lane before to get our FMM and never had to unload - thank goodness because it would take waaay longer than 2 hours and Les wd be very mucho mad.

I have knocked on the window many times...they said the office was now closed and that we would have to pay elsewhere.

David K - 9-11-2011 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I have knocked on the window many times...they said the office was now closed and that we would have to pay elsewhere.

So if they don't want to take our money anymore where they issue the things... and they say you can 'pay' before you come back home... Then the unpaid FMM is good enough at Guerrero Nego, apparently? I mean If you enter Mexico on the weekend, when banks are closed... and head south... there is no way to pay before reaching Guerrero Negro. This needs to be tested! :light::smug:

Even if we wanted to try and pay, we couldn't before Monday if we happen to be where a bank is! Rediculous!!:lol:

Bajaboy - 9-11-2011 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So if they don't want to take our money anymore where they issue the things... and they say you can 'pay' before you come back home... Then the unpaid FMM is good enough at Guerrero Nego, apparently? I mean If you enter Mexico on the weekend, when banks are closed... and head south... there is no way to pay before reaching Guerrero Negro. This needs to be tested! :light::smug:

Even if we wanted to try and pay, we couldn't before Monday if we happen to be where a bank is! Rediculous!!:lol:

As I stated earlier, I plan on checking back with Immigration in a few weeks on my way back down. The guys in there remembered us, thanks to the kids. Maybe the bank is open again but it was very clear that the bank was closed in June. Maybe it was temporary....or not. I would love to hear from others who have crossed since then.

gallesram - 9-13-2011 at 03:41 PM

I just went through last week at San Ysidro and after reading all of these posts, I can also confirm that the parking is a problem because the only way to get to the lot is to go through the lanes where they will inspect your car. They seemed to be inspecting every other car and as I approached the agent, I told her that I just wanted to get my tourist visa. She let me make a U-turn and then go the opposite direction to park. It was pretty crazy but it seemed to be their system because I watched other cars do the same thing, too. I then went to the wrong bank (there are a few) and ended up at the Banjercito window, which is about 3 windows down from the immigration office. They told me that the bank is open 24/7; this was at 2:00 in the afternoon. I have been there before late at night and the bank has always been open, so I would be surprised if it was closed since they're always quite happy to take the fee. The biggest issue, frankly, is if you're trying to bring things down and don't want your car searched; I got lucky, but I could see how they would go through your car just being in that parking area. I don't see any way to get around that; just luck of the draw whether they're going to search you. But assuming that you're not bringing much down, then you should be fine.

Bajaboy - 9-13-2011 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
I just went through last week at San Ysidro and after reading all of these posts, I can also confirm that the parking is a problem because the only way to get to the lot is to go through the lanes where they will inspect your car. They seemed to be inspecting every other car and as I approached the agent, I told her that I just wanted to get my tourist visa. She let me make a U-turn and then go the opposite direction to park. It was pretty crazy but it seemed to be their system because I watched other cars do the same thing, too. I then went to the wrong bank (there are a few) and ended up at the Banjercito window, which is about 3 windows down from the immigration office. They told me that the bank is open 24/7; this was at 2:00 in the afternoon. I have been there before late at night and the bank has always been open, so I would be surprised if it was closed since they're always quite happy to take the fee. The biggest issue, frankly, is if you're trying to bring things down and don't want your car searched; I got lucky, but I could see how they would go through your car just being in that parking area. I don't see any way to get around that; just luck of the draw whether they're going to search you. But assuming that you're not bringing much down, then you should be fine.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully our last experience with the bank was an anomaly.

We normally cross about 5:00am so things are a bit quieter. After getting our cards, we ask someone to take a look at our truck before leaving the parking lot. They do a cursory look, ask a few questions, and we're on our way.

David K - 9-13-2011 at 06:46 PM

Are they still asking you to get out and push the red/ green light button as you exit... even after they do a search?

Bajaboy - 9-13-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Are they still asking you to get out and push the red/ green light button as you exit... even after they do a search?

No they just wave us through and smile.

woody with a view - 9-13-2011 at 07:26 PM

my same experience a week ago. see you there in 35 days, Zac. Neptune (tuna) willing...

Bajaboy - 9-13-2011 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
my same experience a week ago. see you there in 35 days, Zac. Neptune (tuna) willing...

I'll probably just miss you... returning around the 5th.

woody with a view - 9-13-2011 at 07:52 PM

10/21-31.....

btw, the racks are still enjoying the ride.;D

[Edited on 9-14-2011 by woody with a view]

SMG - 9-13-2011 at 08:54 PM

I'm crossing next week, spending the next 3 months in BCS! The truck will be pretty packed with all our gear, so avoiding a search would help my travel schedule.

I was planning on picking up the tourist card the day before by walking across the border at SY. Any reason not to do this? I'm planning at least a day in San Diego to coordinate anyway, so a couple extra hours walking the border should be fine. I'll be solo, if that matters?

I'm hoping to cross early and make it to Santa Rosalilitia the first day. I assume it should be pretty quiet to just get it first thing in the morning, good idea with a pick up with surf boards and a motorcycle on the back??

Bajatripper - 9-15-2011 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
I haven't been asked for my tourist card at GN since maybe 1998.

Try leaving it at home on your next trip, that should do the trick.:lol:

slimshady - 9-18-2011 at 11:11 PM

At 7 in the morning I have found the bank office on the TJ border open but with no one in sight. Waited a few minutes and eventually the guy awoke to take my money.

dtbushpilot - 9-18-2011 at 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SMG
I'm crossing next week, spending the next 3 months in BCS! The truck will be pretty packed with all our gear, so avoiding a search would help my travel schedule.

I was planning on picking up the tourist card the day before by walking across the border at SY. Any reason not to do this? I'm planning at least a day in San Diego to coordinate anyway, so a couple extra hours walking the border should be fine. I'll be solo, if that matters?

I'm hoping to cross early and make it to Santa Rosalilitia the first day. I assume it should be pretty quiet to just get it first thing in the morning, good idea with a pick up with surf boards and a motorcycle on the back??

Welcome to Nomads SMG. Getting your tourist visa the day before would be a good idea for no other reason than it will be one less thing to worry about the morning of your "launch". There may be a long line to cross back to the US at San Ysidro. There are often people with 19 passenger vans offering people at the back of a long line a ride to the border for 5 bucks, it's well worth it on a hot day. They get to go in the bus lane and drop you off at a separate entrance.

Santa Rosalilitia shouldn't be a problem for the first day drive. Where in BCS are you heading?.....dt

btw: in a pickup with surf boards and a motorcycle on the back they will undoubtedly be waving you over to have a look anyway, you might be just as well off going in the "items to declare" lane, getting your visa and driving out of the parking lot. Sometimes they don't even look......and sometimes they do, no problem either way. Make sure you have the title and/or registration for the motorcycle, they may or may not want to see it.

[Edited on 9-19-2011 by dtbushpilot]

SMG - 9-20-2011 at 08:46 PM

Thanks dt for the welcome and great advice! I figured to cross the day before and have one less thing to do in the morning, but if I'm likely to be inspected, I'll just get the tourist card at 6:00am. The couple other times I've passed through SY at first light it's always been mellow. This will be my fourth drive and fifth trip to Baja, each time for a longer stay and this time driving solo. I'll be sure to bring the papers for the bike, good call. It's an enduro that I just mounted surf board racks to, and I'm stoked for the fall down south!

We'll be in Todos Santos for most of the time. My almost 3 year old (her 3rd trip!) will be in the Montessori school, so we'll stick close to there. Although we'll make trips to the east cape and hopefully Scorpion Bay will get some late season swells!

Thanks again, I appreciate any and all advice from the veterans here!

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by SMG]

dtbushpilot - 9-20-2011 at 09:52 PM

If you are planning on getting a room in Santa Rosalilitia you might check with woody about how to find the "motel". There isn't a sign or anything, you just have to know where it is. I rode in there once and was able to spot it but only because I saw a picture of it in a trip report, I think it was pink. If you're camping no problem.

I assume that you chose SR to stay a few days and do some surfing? If you are just going to spend the night and move on you would be better off pushing on to Guerro Negro (If I didn't spell that right DK will be along soon to set me straight).

Have a fun trip, maybe we can get together in TS some day for a beer....dt

David K - 9-21-2011 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
If you are planning on getting a room in Santa Rosalilitia you might check with woody about how to find the "motel". There isn't a sign or anything, you just have to know where it is. I rode in there once and was able to spot it but only because I saw a picture of it in a trip report, I think it was pink. If you're camping no problem.

I assume that you chose SR to stay a few days and do some surfing? If you are just going to spend the night and move on you would be better off pushing on to Guerro Negro (If I didn't spell that right DK will be along soon to set me straight).

Have a fun trip, maybe we can get together in TS some day for a beer....dt

GUERRERO NEGRO

Loretana - 9-21-2011 at 08:58 AM

originally posted by David K

"Even if we wanted to try and pay, we couldn't before Monday if we happen to be where a bank is! Rediculous!!"

RIDICULOUS

one good "spelling cop" deserves another

shari - 9-21-2011 at 09:09 AM

I disagree with mr.bushpilot about pushing on to GN...that little hotelito in Rosalillita is way nicer than any hotel in GN as it is at the beach in a small village...much quieter than GN and awesome sunset there and sunrise over surfers is pretty cool too...the rooms are basic but clean, not a bad bed, hot water...only problem we had was there was no where to eat but the lady who runs the hotel will make dinner for you if you ask her....let her know when you get there with a little advance notice she will make you dinner and breakfast...but it is so close to the highway...like 10 minute in on a great road and you can go for a nice beach walk when you get there.

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by shari]

dtbushpilot - 9-21-2011 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I disagree with mr.bushpilot about pushing on to GN...that little hotelito in Rosalillita is way nicer than any hotel in GN as it is at the beach in a small village...much quieter than GN and awesome sunset there and sunrise over surfers is pretty cool too...the rooms are basic but clean, not a bad bed, hot water...only problem we had was there was no where to eat but the lady who runs the hotel will make dinner for you if you ask her....let her know when you get there with a little advance notice she will make you dinner and breakfast...but it is so close to the highway...like 10 minute in on a great road and you can go for a nice beach walk when you get there.

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by shari]

All good points shari. If you are an extroverted type of person with a good command of the Spanish language you can get or find anything that you need in small, "off the main road" towns. If, on the other hand you are a bit shy and don't speak Spanish well (like me) it can be intimidating trying to find food, lodging and groceries in out of the way towns where everybody that lives there knows that the lady in the blue house sells groceries, the guy with the red truck will rent you a room and his mom down the street will gladly fix you breakfast if they only knew that you wanted these things.....been there, done that, many times.....dt.

shari - 9-21-2011 at 09:43 AM

equally good points DT...of course...good to be armed with both points of view for sure.

SMG - 9-21-2011 at 11:20 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm planning to camp in SR, since there's no surf in GN! I'm set up for camping and cooking on my own Although if it's flat, I'll probably push to GN and stay at Mallarimos.

Funny story about Santa Rosalilita:

My first trip there I drove with my buddy and wanted to call my family and let them know that we were staying awhile since the waves were so good. I went into town and have a functional grasp of the language, but it was my first trip and I was a little nervous. I asked around for a phone and found the "the blue house near the market" has a sat phone for use.

There were a bunch of trucks parked in front, I knocked on the door and was greeted by a nice women who let me in the door. Upon walking in, there were about 10 locals and a PILE of money on the table and everyone holding fistfulls of cash. I immedialtey think I walked in on a drug deal and that I was going to disappear...

Turns out, it was the local lobstermen unloading there catch for the week. They shared their catch and their smiles and I made the call home. Good times and great people, can't wait to get back!

[Edited on 9-22-2011 by SMG]

shari - 9-21-2011 at 11:31 AM

SMG...looks like more people are camping on the beach in the village due to the newly created wave that comes off the breakwater...it's different that at "the other camp" (I'm not allowed to mention the name or no more microbrews for me!!!;D) plus it's closer and there is a store, beer etc...my last time there the beach had more campers than the other place...nice morning & sunset sets....safet trip!

SMG - 9-21-2011 at 02:52 PM

Nice options shari, I like the easier drive consideration. I wonder if the new wave has a larger swell window?? I didn't realize that I shouldn't mention surf spots, I'll edit my post... I've always had a great time at A******** and met some great people there! It seems pretty quiet the times I've been there the last few years. Although I hear it fills up around the holidays.

I should park the truck and camp in SR and ride the moto up the coast roads, could be exciting!

Thanks again!

Bajahowodd - 9-21-2011 at 04:07 PM

So. Having poured over four pages of posts, a couple of things stand out.

First, the GN immigration checkpoint. As was noted by another poster, I can truly say that I have never been asked for papers there, North or South. There was a thread some time back on here that basically indicated that the IMM office there had been closed. Yet, up jumps the devil, with subsequent threads talking about being asked for papers. Which is it?

Second, I have also found myself in the situation where I applied for the visa at SY, and the bank was closed. I could not get anyone to respond. Going back to the IMM office, I was also told that I could pay at any bank.

My question is just how long might someone travel with a stamped, but unpaid FMM legally? Have to admit that on my last trip to Cabo, a trip that encompassed twelve days, I never did pay. Went to a Bancomer in Cabo to pay, and thy said they didn't do that.

So, just a little bit of concern heading North approaching the state line, only to find no one there. Go figure.

David K - 9-21-2011 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
originally posted by David K

"Even if we wanted to try and pay, we couldn't before Monday if we happen to be where a bank is! Rediculous!!"

RIDICULOUS

one good "spelling cop" deserves another

Thank you... I know I am a poor English speller! So, I only help with Baja Place Names in the name of loving your Baja more!

jedtimesaz - 11-14-2011 at 08:20 PM

I didn't have a tourist card on my trip last winter. Long story, but we arrived in Ensenada on New Year's Day and everything was closed. The chamber of commerce visitor's center, however, was open, and they said we could pick up the tourist card in Guerrero Negro. So we went ahead. But in GR, they wanted 2,000 pesos each for the tourist card. We complained and they guy just waived us through.
We were concerned, however, that this would become a bigger problem on the Northbound return. I stayed in BCS for about two months.
In early March, I stopped in GR and asked around a bit and soon learned that that the Migra station is closed on Sundays.
So I hung out in my Bus in GR near the lighthouse on a Saturday night enjoying the sea birds and beautiful sunset. I headed north about 8 a.m. Sunday and sure enough, the Migra station was closed and I sailed through.
Planning my next foray south now!

redmesa - 11-14-2011 at 08:26 PM

My daughter came down to Bahia Asuncion ...bused it to GN without a card...went to La Paz and Cabo no problem. She paid for a tourist card before she boarded the plane home.

Mulegena - 11-15-2011 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
... you would be better off pushing on to Guerro Negro (If I didn't spell that right DK will be along soon to set me straight)...

GUERRERO NEGRO
Guerrero Negro is not spelled with all-caps
...unless for some reason you feel the need to SHOUT!
btw, jus' foolin' wif' ya' DK. ;D

Ateo - 11-15-2011 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
So. Having poured over four pages of posts, a couple of things stand out.

First, the GN immigration checkpoint. As was noted by another poster, I can truly say that I have never been asked for papers there, North or South. There was a thread some time back on here that basically indicated that the IMM office there had been closed. Yet, up jumps the devil, with subsequent threads talking about being asked for papers. Which is it?

Second, I have also found myself in the situation where I applied for the visa at SY, and the bank was closed. I could not get anyone to respond. Going back to the IMM office, I was also told that I could pay at any bank.

My question is just how long might someone travel with a stamped, but unpaid FMM legally? Have to admit that on my last trip to Cabo, a trip that encompassed twelve days, I never did pay. Went to a Bancomer in Cabo to pay, and thy said they didn't do that.

So, just a little bit of concern heading North approaching the state line, only to find no one there. Go figure.

You just never know.....odds are no one will ever ask for your tourist card, but you never know.

I didn't think they stamped your card until after you paid the bank. SY bank should be open almost 24/7 from what I've seen and read. I went thru at 5am and it was open.

Bajahowodd - 11-15-2011 at 04:29 PM

After reading through four pages of posts, and mixing in my decades of Baja travel, I would suggest that for the most part, folks can travel Baja without having the FMM. Since no one seems to ask for it.

I have to confess that my friends and I have done the trip to both the whale thingy in Guerrero Negro, and to Cabo, without "papers", I absolutely recommend that anyone heading South of Maneadero get their FMM wherever they are crossing.

After all, since so many in these United States have have made such a big deal about illegal immigration, it would seem to me to be the height of hypocrisy to travel in Mexico without the legal documents.

Recently, starting a two week trip, we found ourselves in the right hand lane at San Ysidro. As folks have mentioned, it seems that anyone who is "foolish enough" to drive into this area, is going to be rewarded with a very long wait to be inspected.. That includes people such as our group, who were only seeking to be legal, and were certainly not bearing any goods to bring into Mexico.

But, at the end of the day, as I viewed long lines on the Northbound side, I could not deny the obvious.

We created a huge log jam at the border, supposedly because Bin Laden might be hiding in the trunk of a car. But is not the current Mexican response really tit for tat?