BajaNomad

Good news about the gross Tuna fleet in Asuncion

shari - 8-29-2011 at 08:00 AM

For the past week, there have been up to 14 enormous tuna boats working very very close to shore...even between the islands...which by the way are in the nuclear zone of the Biosphere Reserve...sometimes only a mile offshore. They have been netting tons and tons and tons of bonita and yellowtail and everything else that happens to be in the net.
Their helicopters buzzed the islands scaring birds and generators droned all night in the bay.

There was concern because the beaches have been strewn with dead cormorants, sea lions and sea turtles...some thought that this was from the tuna fleet but most likely these come from the local cooperativas nets that are close to shore here in the village....blame where blame is due????
Wouldnt it be lovely to see the end of nets...at least in the biosphere reserve!

The bay was icky with alot of refuse from all those boats dumping crap. In short, it was awful and many people were upset that the fishery was violating many fisheries regulations.

I got a wonderful phone call last night that an inspector from La Paz came and shut it down and VOILA...the monsters haved moved on...hip hip hooray.

[Edited on 8-29-2011 by shari]

JaraHurd - 8-29-2011 at 08:29 AM

We are never gonna learn..are we Shari...... How sad. Catch em all until there is nothing to catch.... The train wreck is coming.....slowly..but it is coming...

Russ - 8-29-2011 at 09:02 AM

So they move on to another place and do the same thing. How long did it take for someone to do something about them right in front of you? Two weeks? Think of the rapeage (sp) when there is no one to call about them. They should have all been hauled into port and the ships taken and sunk for reef habitat! It won't stop until the Mexican government starts enforcing the laws that are already on the books. :fire:

karenintx - 8-29-2011 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
So they move on to another place and do the same thing.

Saw one of these boats coming around "El Arco" (CSL) yesterday around 4:30 pm. We were wondering what kind of boat it was, as it didn't look like the typical shrimp boat we see around here. Also wondered where it was coming from/going to. As far as "laws on the books"...money speaks louder than words. In CZM, we watched the cruise ship companies build a dock on top of one the best diving reef back in early 1990's...only after paying off the Mexican government of course!

Sad to see.

shari - 8-29-2011 at 09:40 AM

Almost every day we see, hear or read reports of fisherman bringing in a catch waaaaay over their limits, people fish without licenses, fish with coop fishermen who aren't permitted to take out sports fishers etc. We whine and complain about the state of the fisheries but rarely do people do anything about it.

If every one of us took responsibility for the fishery and began reporting illegal fishing activities and captures, things may improve. Here is where you can make a report anonymously or sign your name. Take photos of the people involved and their boats and send them in with your complaint.
http://www.inspeccion.conapesca.sagarpa.gob.mx/PescaIlegal/P...

surfdoc - 8-29-2011 at 11:02 AM

That is fantastic news Shari.... Thankyou, The frustration level of watching this all unfold before my eyes has been unreal!

Now we have pangas full of nets coming from the other pueblos down the coast... guess they fish they're area out then move to greener pastures..

Oh well.........again thanks for the news and the website!!!

Russ - 8-29-2011 at 11:14 AM

Thanks for the site !

msteve1014 - 8-29-2011 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc

Now we have pangas full of nets coming from the other pueblos down the coast... guess they fish they're area out then move to greener pastures..

Yeah Stan, thats what happened. There are no more fish in La Bocana or Abreojos. Never will be again. Get real, the boats go where the fish are NOW. They will come home soon enough. And we NEVER see Asuncion boats down here, nope, never.BS

surfdoc - 8-29-2011 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc

Yeah Stan, thats what happened. There are no more fish in La Bocana or Abreojos. Never will be again. Get real, the boats go where the fish are NOW. They will come home soon enough. And we NEVER see Asuncion boats down here, nope, never.BS

Wow.......guess I hit a nerve, sorry but the Pangas don't say either of those Ciudads... Guess you know more then I do..

jakecard - 8-29-2011 at 06:47 PM

How far from shore does the Biosphere extend, five kilometers?

Were the vessels fined, or simply told to leave? What violation ultimately led the inspector to jettison the boats?

And where do the Asuncion fishing cooperatives stand on this? Why, after all year monitoring the coastline with vigilantes would they tolerate such a brazen and damaging threat to the very reefs they protect? Nets do no harm, is that it?

Jake

Russ - 8-29-2011 at 06:47 PM

I have seen.....
I call then rouge netters. They have a refer truck follow them around. It parks in some hidden spot just off the good road and the rouge netters go in and set their nets and when they're either full or finished raping an area they unload into the refer truck and move to the next area. In this area they are common during the winter. And there isn't just one group doing this. The locals hate them (at least here they do) but there is really nothing to be done. They're just Nomadic bands of fishermen. Of course they have been doing this for a few generations so they are totally dialed into where the fish should be during the year. And with cell phones it is even easier.

Bajaboy - 8-29-2011 at 06:50 PM

Someone is buying the fish. Are we as consumers ready to pay full market price? I am not saying overfishing is acceptable. But we must also be willing to pay the true price for protecting the fisheries.

msteve1014 - 8-30-2011 at 05:15 AM

Gee, maybe I jumped to a conclusion, but that was a cheap shot at someone, and LB has been a main target around here lately.

Cypress - 8-30-2011 at 05:39 AM

Shari, Wish you luck! It would be a shame to see the coastal Pacific fishing areas depleted. There're just too many hooks, too many nets. Where once there was one net, now there're ten. The fish can't escape. What you're witnessing is the end of a lifestyle.

SFandH - 8-30-2011 at 07:19 AM

What a shame. Plus you have to consider the millions of dolphins, turtles, and other animals that are killed each year by purse seiners. All of these animals, including the fish feel pain and suffer when killed by this industry.

Kudos to those who see and report fishery violators. Keep up the good work.

And what about the shark fin soup horror!!

What can the 99.99% of us who don't see fishery violators do? Eat a plant based diet. It benefits the individual and all the animals. I'm a vegetarian and yes, I occasionally fall off the wagon and chow down a cheeseburger, maybe 3 times in the past year. Tastes great, but I feel horrible afterwards. It's a reminder of how poisonous eating dead animals is.

Try a plant based diet, you'll like it. You'll lose weight, feel great, and dramatically decrease the likelihood of heart disease and other chronic diseases brought on by eating and being fat. Plus you'll know some animal didn't suffer so you could fill your stomach.

Stop eating animals. It's the solution to a whole host of problems.

[Edited on 9-1-2011 by SFandH]

GC - 8-30-2011 at 07:38 AM

Just left Cedros and there are three large seiners (with helicopter) that look a lot like the ones in Shari's pictures, so they did not move very far.

DENNIS - 8-30-2011 at 07:48 AM

These large seiners with helos on deck are the same, or just like the ones that used to be berthed in Ensenada before the Dolphin Safe regulations ran them off. I thought they went to American Somoa.

SFandH - 8-30-2011 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
These large seiners with helos on deck are the same, or just like the ones that used to be berthed in Ensenada before the Dolphin Safe regulations ran them off. I thought they went to American Somoa.

I've read that's where the now gone San Diego fleet operates.

You bring up a good point. Where are these seiners from? Maybe they are the San Diego guys sneaking back.

Are these boats flying flags? Not that it means much. Skull and crossbones perhaps?

[Edited on 8-30-2011 by SFandH]

J.P. - 8-30-2011 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I've read that's where the now gone San Diego fleet operates.

You bring up a good point. Where are these seiners from? Maybe they are the San Diego guys sneaking back.

Are these boats flying flags? Not that it means much. Skull and crossbones perhaps?

[Edited on 8-30-2011 by SFandH]

The boats Dennis is talking about are first class they have refigerated hatches and can exploit a very wide range

DENNIS - 8-30-2011 at 09:48 AM

American Somoa must be an unflushed toilet. They say when it is approached by water, you can smell the place long before you can see it.
It's always nice to associate those odors with the food we eat. :barf:

[Edited on 8-30-2011 by DENNIS]

surfdoc - 8-30-2011 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Gee, maybe I jumped to a conclusion, but that was a cheap shot at someone, and LB has been a main target around here lately.

Not targeted at LB, or Abre. I believe Russ hit it on the head... these boats have San Ignacio on them, But they traveled into town in a group of 3, 2 hit the water..and have 2 trucks parked on the beach supporting them. I did watch the Coop make them move down the beach out of they're area... and today there are 3 Semi's loading up fish on the beach....
sorry for the potential of a cheapshot across the bow... just watching things unfold... and the more I watch, the more I realize I truely DONOT understand the dynamics of commercial fishing in Baja.
So until I learn more, for now, I think I'll start keeping my uneducated opinion to myself, or those with the misfortune to down a few cold Tecates with me....

Hope the season continues WFO for everyone!!!

[Edited on 8-30-2011 by surfdoc]

vgabndo - 8-30-2011 at 01:32 PM

Doc, you're a jewel. Nice job of defusing an IED. (inadvertant excited debate)

I acknowledge I was one who reported seeing LB Coop trucks loaded with boxes of *tiny* fish of many species and thought it not a good sign.

Skipjack Joe - 8-30-2011 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

What can the 99.99% of us who don't see fishery violators do? Eat a plant based diet. It benefits the individual and all the animals. I'm a vegetarian and yes, I occasionally fall off the wagon and chow down a cheeseburger, maybe 3 times in the past year. Tastes great, but I feel horrible afterwards. It's a reminder of how poisonous eating dead animals is.

How do you know plants don't feel pain?

The only sensible thing to do is to starve yourself. That way there is no guilt and you can die with a clear conscience.

Hell, I'm getting weepy just thinking about those mosquitos I killed last summer.

baitcast - 8-30-2011 at 04:35 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

tiotomasbcs - 8-30-2011 at 05:42 PM

Here's a good one?! What do our Politicos have to say on the subject? Estela Ponce in La Paz was going to be The People Choice! Any help there or just pipe dreams? I guess I know the answer, no?! Tio

gnukid - 8-30-2011 at 09:46 PM

Take what you see and hear as fact, the Biosphere has no demonstrated interest in stopping exploitation or it would have intervened here and elsewhere. Biosphere and exploitation go hand in hand, as has been demonstrated over decades. Stop kidding yourself that someone else has your best interests in mind and you should pay them to not exploit you. The only person who will stop the exploitation is you or perhaps a child with sheer will and energy to put up a fight.

Know that people who fail to read history and learn about the facts will be destined to live in ignorance and repeat cycles of destruction and exploitation, its a war of wills, of spirit, good versus evil. Stand up for yourself. Ultimately there are only individuals, every group action begins with an individual and ends with an individual.

[Edited on 8-31-2011 by gnukid]

shari - 8-31-2011 at 07:49 AM

we received more information on how to report ANY fishy fishing practises...if you make a report of your observations, a fisheries officer is obligated to go and respond and check the vessels in question within 5 days of the report even if it is anonymous.

So bookmark this link if you live near a place where you witness violations...try to get the name or number of the vessel..photos are great too of the captains and trucks etc. The fisheries officer urges everyone to be proactive as they cant be everywhere at once...there is only one officer for all of mid baja but he assured us he WILL be doing active rounds and spot checking for fishing licenses, limits and permits to take people fishing. The inspector talked about the problems in other areas like CAbo and Loreto with gringos taking people fishing that arent REALLY their friends...they are trying to put a stop to this to support the licensed sport fish companies....so fishers beware....big brother will be watching.

wsdunc - 8-31-2011 at 11:39 AM

I like the idea and saved the link, but then I realized I don't know enough about the rules/laws to know when someone is violating them. I understand limits for sport fishermen, but don't know much about commercials. Anyone got a simple summary of legal and illegal fishing?

Cypress - 8-31-2011 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
we received more information on how to report ANY fishy fishing practises...if you make a report of your observations, a fisheries officer is obligated to go and respond and check the vessels in question within 5 days of the report even if it is anonymous. The inspector talked about the problems in other areas like CAbo and Loreto with gringos taking people fishing that arent REALLY their friends...they are trying to put a stop to this to support the licensed sport fish companies....so fishers beware....big brother will be watching.

A blind eye to a fleet of seiners, with five days to respond to complaints. In 5 days they'll have cleaned a place out and be gone. But, they'll be all over those gringo sport fishermen. Oh well!

gnukid - 8-31-2011 at 09:09 PM

Biosphere facilitates thievery, that is the point, the method and purpose, do not deny the history, read the history, or be complicit in it's path of destruction. Let there be no forgiveness for the accomplices to their theft and destruction whether by well meaning (ignorant) do gooders or outright sociopaths. Time to consider every step you take and action you make, and your neighbors, to support destruction or action to stop it. Actions speak loudly.

In a moment of action you can end the destruction of seiners, words do little, it's not hard if you put your mind to it, there are an infinite number of possible solutions.

Oddjob - 8-31-2011 at 09:22 PM

gnuked, are you on acid?

wessongroup - 8-31-2011 at 09:25 PM

Enforcement tends to work that way.. the big ones get away... the smaller ... well, they get caught ...

gnukid - 8-31-2011 at 09:31 PM

Ad hominem attacks are logical fallacies (oddjob).

Speak to the points at hand:

- Seiners in Viscaino-destruction of the region

- The role of self proclaimed saviors UNESCO who demand you pay them yet serve foreign interests

- Documented history of UNESCO, corruption, theft of resources, fraud

- Distraction, failure of citizens to stand tall and strong, interrupt corrupt practices

- Distracting local and outside internet posters such as OddJob who present fallacious arguments-noted

- Accept the verifiable facts, by-catch on beach, trucks on the beach, boats on the water, require citizen action

[Edited on 9-1-2011 by gnukid]