BajaNomad

Titanic Baja & Mexico crew?

jp2009 - 8-30-2011 at 11:50 AM

Hi folks.. I was wondering if anyone here knows anyone who worked on the Titanic movie in 1996?

I'm trying to get in touch with a few of the crew who helped build the sets in Mexico City and also some in Baja itself?

Thanks!
J

Wally - 8-30-2011 at 03:33 PM

guess you could start here:

http://www.bajafilmstudios.com/index.html

David K - 8-30-2011 at 03:52 PM

http://grahammackintosh.com Graham, Bonni and the kids were all in the movie... Graham can be seen a couple times really well... the drunk flopping on the stairway and up on the railing at the end... his flaming red hair helps to spot him!

The late jrbaja (also posted as Ski Baja here) was one of the foreman on the set construction and after the movie made a small museum with the props at the Rosarito Beach Hotel, then removed them to where he lived, just south of Rosarito until he passed away. You can see some of the props in my photos at jrbaja's home when I was there in 2004 for a get-together with 'BajaCactus' and family: http://vivabaja.com/bajacactus (in the first and third photos)

[Edited on 8-30-2011 by David K]

If you don't mind my asking

Dave - 8-30-2011 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jp2009
I'm trying to get in touch with a few of the crew who helped build the sets in Mexico City and also some in Baja itself?

Why?

bajaguy - 8-30-2011 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Why?

He initially posted on 4-1-2010

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=45059#pid5053...

jp2009 - 8-31-2011 at 05:38 AM

Hi folks

Thanks, I've already tried to get in touch through the studio but no joy.. I was hoping to find out which local mexican made the Cherub from the base of the grand staircase set?

I've asked around and have been told by several people it was a Mexican crew member who created it?

I was hoping to maybe get one made by the same person. My hunt for props seems to be over, no replies... shame!

DENNIS - 8-31-2011 at 06:07 AM

Sorry you struck out on your quest. How are things in Ireland?

jp2009 - 8-31-2011 at 11:48 AM

Hi Dennis

Thanks... yeah OK I suppose.. I did get some replies but mostly people saying they had stuff and then kinda faded away... and only after taking a small classified ad in the Baja Times.

I've been in touch with a lot of people regarding so feel like every avenue has been exhausted but I still have a nice collection I built up over the years.

I'm on a last hunt to see if maybe anyone here knows any of the crew, carpenters, plasterers etc who worked on the sets as I'd really like to find the person who made the Cherub sculpture.

jp2009 - 1-22-2012 at 05:51 AM

Hello folks, I just wanted to renew my interest in this... anyone here know anyone with any props or know any good contacts? I'm looking to buy some titanic props and understand there was a lot of people in and around potpola and la barca?

I'm in Ireland so wouldn't be able to visit the area so hoping to establish a few contacts via email?

Thanks!

[Edited on 1-22-2012 by jp2009]

Bajatripper - 1-22-2012 at 01:44 PM

While JP is out for the props I know of, if anyone is interested in Titanic memorabilia that JR had, U2U me. I know a rancher in BCS where JR was building his "bamboo palace" before he passed away. Carol (JR's widow)told the rancher to do with them as he wanted. The rancher is interested in selling them, but because JP is in Ireland and Mexican international shipping is quite expensive, we couldn't get anything going on that stuff. But if anyone with that interest is cruising southern Baja, let me know and we can go out to see the stuff.

The stuff at the ranch:

For a size comparison:

David K - 1-22-2012 at 05:15 PM

Great to find the scene in the movie those props were used...

Bajatripper - 1-22-2012 at 09:01 PM

I should have mentioned, the rancher says he has all the round glass adornments that have come unglued from the "lady frame" over time.

jp2009 - 1-23-2012 at 03:20 AM

He doesn't have any of the big fiberglass bollards or railing sections or anything does he?

Bajatripper - 1-23-2012 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
He doesn't have any of the big fiberglass bollards or railing sections or anything does he?

He has what's shown in the photos. This rancher has about 300 acres of watered land in San Bartolo and would like to build some eco-tourism lodging. I've suggested he should incorporate his "windows" into one of them and call it the "Titanic Cottage," I'm sure more than one potential visitor would get a kick out it.