BajaNomad

Hotel Mision Catavina

Pages:  1  

Bajahowodd - 9-24-2011 at 04:44 PM

Forgive me if I missed any recent posts on this facility that was taken over by the Los Pinos folks.

Just thought that regular travelers would find it helpful to have a web site where they can reserve a room, inasmuch as they have limited capacity in a very remote location.

The good news is that the Los Pinos folks have done a fair amount of upgrading, that is first evident upon arriving at the hotel. A portico.

They have taken the rec room near the pool and made a really nice bar.

Lot's of upgrades, the best of which is the bedding.

http://www.hotelmisionsantamaria.com/es/Catavina.html

Edit, because what I forgot to mention is that the price is just about half of what it was when it was a Desert Inn/ La Pinta/Etc.

[Edited on 9-24-2011 by Bajahowodd]

rts551 - 9-24-2011 at 04:50 PM

great news. we like the Santa Maria hotel.wish the price in Catavina would go down....but when you are the only thing going????

DianaT - 9-24-2011 at 04:50 PM

That they lowered their prices is great news. Their other hotel in San Quintin is also very nice.

rts551 - 9-24-2011 at 04:52 PM

Oh great news on the price

ArvadaGeorge - 9-24-2011 at 07:14 PM

Did they improve the food? the few times i have eaten there it wasn't worth the money -- the pink hotel was a lot better

Ken Cooke - 9-25-2011 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ArvadaGeorge
Did they improve the food? the few times i have eaten there it wasn't worth the money -- the pink hotel was a lot better

Just don't stay at the Pink Hotel in the winter. You might FREEZE from lack of heat and no Hot Water. BRRR.:o

ArvadaGeorge - 9-25-2011 at 11:39 AM

The pink hotel had hot showers in March 2010

I am sorry for not being fair

Ken Cooke - 9-25-2011 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ArvadaGeorge
The pink hotel had hot showers in March 2010

My Baja Grande 2008 group froze - Nov. 2008 after driving through the rain from El Arco to Guerrero Negro (pictured below) to Cataviņa. A Hot shower would have been nice before tackling The Mission Impossible Trail outside of Rancho Santa Inez.

After a steady rain in Guerrero Negro

Hwy 1 Mud - El Rosario

DianaT - 9-25-2011 at 03:33 PM

We have had both positive and negative experiences at Linda's ---the pink motel, but would give it another try.

However, if the price of the Mission Hotel has been reduced, we will definitely stay there again. The times we have stayed there were positive even before the change.

I hope they have changed their English menu, however, it was very difficult to understand. They used have things like young burros and various meat cooked wing iron. (burritos and a la plancha)

[Edited on 9-25-2011 by DianaT]

Bajahowodd - 9-25-2011 at 03:50 PM

My past experience in Catavina is that with the exception of whale season, when several tour operators bring their van and busloads to stay the night, this hotel is underutilized.

As for Ken's photos, they remind me of a couple of times attempting to pass through El Rosario, when the mud flow made it very iffy for all those not driving high clearance vehicles.

An interesting observation about Baja is that while the South hunkers down during the summer and early fall about hurricanes, the North finds itself in a totally different climate thingy, where Northwest pacific storms may rain down huge amounts of water during the winter months.

Hence, a number of our whale trips have greeted us with mud and more mud. While our summer trips have found us dealing with the hurricane thingy. (Been in Mulege at might be considered the worst of all times. )

Marinero - 9-25-2011 at 05:46 PM

Does anyone know for a fact if the Hotel Mision Catavina, nee La Pinta and later Desert Inn, continues to be pet friendly. I have sent them an email and will post their reply, either way.

DianaT - 9-25-2011 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
Does anyone know for a fact if the Hotel Mision Catavina, nee La Pinta and later Desert Inn, continues to be pet friendly. I have sent them an email and will post their reply, either way.

Their sign still says no, but it has always said no. We stopped on our way through a few weeks ago and asked, and they said no problem. So we hope they are still pet friendly even with the no pets sign.

Their other hotel in San Quintin is pet friendly.

[Edited on 9-26-2011 by DianaT]

Marinero - 9-26-2011 at 08:12 AM

Thanks for the info. When it was Desert Inn a friend took in her two dogs and was asked for a hugh amount of american money to accept them. She instead gave them a copy of an email from the then owners that said dogs were welcome in Catavina. Funny thing, the desk clerk said he had not understood her and of course dogs were free.

Marinero - 9-26-2011 at 09:51 AM

Just received the following terse reply from Hotel Mision Catavina:
good day

We are a new company, we accept pets, but at an extra cost, in this case was charged as an extra person.
As of now I have no idea what the extra person charge is. I will follow up, but does anyone know? Posts of actual guest experiences would be a plus.

DianaT - 9-26-2011 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Just received the following terse reply from Hotel Mision Catavina:
good day

We are a new company, we accept pets, but at an extra cost, in this case was charged as an extra person.
As of now I have no idea what the extra person charge is. I will follow up, but does anyone know? Posts of actual guest experiences would be a plus.

I guess we didn't ask about an extra charge----and yes, I hope someone with a dog stays there soon and finds out the current price with, or without dog.

Marinero - 9-26-2011 at 12:23 PM

Here is the Hotel's response:

the cost per room is $ 89.60 dlls. 1 or 2 people, but Mascot $ 18.08, total per room $107.68 dls.
Does this sound like a price reduction to anyone?

DianaT - 9-26-2011 at 12:27 PM

Quote:

the cost per room is $ 89.60 dlls. 1 or 2 people, but Mascot $ 18.08, total per room $107.68 dls.

NO----dang, we were hopeful.

Marinero - 9-27-2011 at 11:03 AM

The Hotel Santa Maria in San Quintin, same chain, advertises $565 pesos for a double. At about US$50, that is a price reduction. I am going to try to make an on-line reservation and see what I get there.

DianaT - 9-27-2011 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
The Hotel Santa Maria in San Quintin, same chain, advertises $565 pesos for a double. At about US$50, that is a price reduction. I am going to try to make an on-line reservation and see what I get there.

I believe that is what we paid a little over a month ago. If the old memory serves me well, the sign said $500 pesos, but after tax it was $565 mas or menos. Good luck and will be interested to hear what you think about the place.

LaTijereta - 9-27-2011 at 11:38 AM

Quote:

They will also provide a discount if you show them your FM3/ FM2 from a "Baja Location" (I know Loreto works):cool:.. This was an old "La Pinta/ Desert Inn" policy they said they plan to continue..

rts551 - 9-27-2011 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

I believe that is what we paid a little over a month ago. If the old memory serves me well, the sign said $500 pesos, but after tax it was $565 mas or menos. Good luck and will be interested to hear what you think about the place.

Diane has the correct price. Maybe we will stop in Catavina next week to see what is going on. Will also ask at the Santa Maria next time there. The owner used to check i n here every once in a while. wonder what happened to him?

tripledigitken - 9-27-2011 at 12:27 PM

At $89, we will continue to stay in San Quintin. That is a shame.

David K - 9-27-2011 at 12:44 PM

EL ROSARIO is 30 miles from San Quintin and 76 miles from Cataviņa:

For about $35 you have near luxury at Baja Cactus, support a Baja Nomad who helps everyone, and have incredible comfort and included amenities (bottle drinking water, coffee maker, satellite TV, cieling fan, dimmer lights, heating, a/c, telephone, 24 hour desk clerk, shampoo and lotion)... In room profesional massage service available too! You just can't touch that for a highway motel, anywhere!

rts551 - 9-27-2011 at 12:59 PM

"i before e, except after c"and this thread is about a Hotel in Catavina. We have seen your posts about Baja Cactus many times. looking at nre options is good for everyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

For about $35 you have near luxury at Baja Cactus, support a Baja Nomad who helps everyone, and have incredible comfort and included amenities (bottle drinking water, coffee maker, satellite TV, cieling fan, dimmer lights, heating, a/c, telephone, 24 hour desk clerk, shampoo and lotion)... In room profesional massage service available too! You just can't touch that for a highway motel, anywhere!

David K - 9-27-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
"i before e, except after c"and this thread is about a Hotel in Catavina. We have seen your posts about Baja Cactus many times. looking at nre options is good for everyone.

Quote:

I guess you totally missed who I was posting after, look right above my reply:

"At $89, we will continue to stay in San Quintin. That is a shame."

Ken Cooke - 9-27-2011 at 10:20 PM

Quote:

I completely agree. Be sure to book in advance of your trip, though. This place is becoming popular.

apples and oranges

mtgoat666 - 9-28-2011 at 05:16 AM

Quote:

the hotel in catavina is WAY nicer than baja cactus. dk, don't compare apples to oranges, they do not compute! one is truck stop motel with no grounds to speak of, the other is a nice hotel with nice grounds in a nice location.

cheaper is not always better. however, if money is your motivating factor, just camp in desert around catavina, is much cheaper, and much nicer ambiance than baja cactus!

David K - 9-28-2011 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

the hotel in catavina is WAY nicer than baja cactus. dk, don't compare apples to oranges, they do not compute! one is truck stop motel with no grounds to speak of, the other is a nice hotel with nice grounds in a nice location.

cheaper is not always better. however, if money is your motivating factor, just camp in desert around catavina, is much cheaper, and much nicer ambiance than baja cactus!

You have no clue goatman... No truckers stay at Baja Cactus... unless they want luxury. In the many times I have stayed there the past 7 years, never saw a trucker use Baja Cactus. It quickly fills with American and Mexican vacationers... also Europeans.

There is an expansive parking area on the grounds with security camera... and a gate that is closed overnight.

tripledigitken - 9-28-2011 at 09:35 AM

DK,

The fact is, many myself included, don't find over nighting in El Rosario as enjoyable as the many options offered in San Quintin. Speaking only for myself, we like to eat out, trying to compare El Rosario to San Quintin just doesn't cut it.

I must say though you are quite the ambassador for his property, has Antonio made you a minority partner?

;D

Ken

TMW - 9-28-2011 at 10:05 AM

The Baja Cactus hotel in El Rosario is one of the better hotels in Baja. I've stayed there several times. I've not stayed in any of the other hotels in El Rosario but I've heard that there are opthers that are very good. I've eaten in a couple of the resturants and they too are very good. I've stayed in San Quintin and a think the new Mission hotel and La Villa de Zaragoza are both excellent. Haven't stayed at Jardines yet, stopped by once and they didn't have a room but the place was impressive. The Chavez wasn't too bad but the water was harder than nails, prono movies on TV. The other hotels I've stayed at there rank closer to the Pink hotel in Catavina. I've stayed at the old La Pinta, Desert Inn and now Mission hotel in Catavina more times than I can think of. I always liked it except when the air conditioning was out because the generator was down. They use to have a waiter that could make a mean margarita and they had a painting above the bar of a beach comber that I wanted to buy. I heard it was sent to San Ignacio and when I contacted them the owner wanted $800 US so I passed.

David K - 9-28-2011 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
DK,

The fact is, many myself included, don't find over nighting in El Rosario as enjoyable as the many options offered in San Quintin. Speaking only for myself, we like to eat out, trying to compare El Rosario to San Quintin just doesn't cut it.

I must say though you are quite the ambassador for his property, has Antonio made you a minority partner?

;D

Ken

Thank you Ken...

Actually, no matter what business in Baja that is good and good to travelers, I will talk positive about... if Nomads frequent the good places, then it helps keep them in business.

I understand the beauty of staying on a beach... and while I responded to your San Quintin hotel reply, it was for the thousands who read Baja Nomad and not you personally.

Thanks!

[Edited on 9-28-2011 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 9-28-2011 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

You have no clue goatman... No truckers stay at Baja Cactus... unless they want luxury. In the many times I have stayed there the past 7 years, never saw a trucker use Baja Cactus. It quickly fills with American and Mexican vacationers... also Europeans.

There is an expansive parking area on the grounds with security camera... and a gate that is closed overnight.

baja cactus man:
it's all about ambiance. baja cactus ambiance doesn't appeal to me.
we agree to disagree. let's leave it at that.

tripledigitken - 9-28-2011 at 11:09 AM

A jake break at 2am might qualify for ambiance to a long haul trucker.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Roberto - 9-28-2011 at 01:37 PM

You never asked the question about whether you've been made a minority partner or not. Come on, David, inquiring minds want to know. :lol::lol:

Roberto - 9-28-2011 at 01:40 PM

I don't care how nice the rooms are at Baja Cactus, and not all of them are nice at all. Bottom line is, why would I spend some of my precious time in Baja in El Rosario? Nothing against the folks in that town, but I look at it like going to New York on vacation and staying in the South Bronx, because there's nice, cheap motel there. Or coming to Southern California and seeking out the best in San Bernardino. :lol::lol: Face your cheapness, live life!

I want to squeeze every last minute of enjoyment out of my limited trips down there.

[Edited on 9-28-2011 by Roberto]

J.P. - 9-28-2011 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
I don't care how nice the rooms are at Baja Cactus, and not all of them are nice at all. Bottom line is, why would I spend some of my precious time in Baja in El Rosario? Nothing against the folks in that town, but I look at it like going to New York on vacation and staying in the South Bronx, because there's nice, cheap motel there. Or coming to Southern California and seeking out the best in San Bernardino. :lol::lol: Face your cheapness, live life!

I want to squeeze every last minute of enjoyment out of my limited trips down there.

Way back when the Baja Cactus was a good bang for your buck, But things are changing all the time there are too many nice resturants and motels in San Quntin and points further south. But what do I know I dont drive a Toyota renta truck or shop at Walmart and mow yards for a living,so I set my sights a little higher:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 9-28-2011 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
You never asked the question about whether you've been made a minority partner or not. Come on, David, inquiring minds want to know. :lol::lol:

It wasn't a serious question, so I thought. No, I am an American using an FM-M, so I cannot be in business in Mexico (until I get an FM-3)... Antonio isn't making a fortune at the low rates he rents for to afford partners, anyway! LOL

David K - 9-28-2011 at 06:35 PM

Quote:

That is a fair answer... For most, El Rosario is just an over-night stop... 5-6 hours from the border and the last sure bet and honest gas station for a long ways southbound... also owned by Antonio.

Marinero - 9-28-2011 at 09:03 PM

Nothing back on the on-line request for reservation. Next, I will try the telephone.

Mission Hotels

luisartrgz2 - 9-30-2011 at 10:17 AM

At Pinos Co. we are glad to hear your comments about service and pricing.

let us share some information to you that might encourage to visit us last time you are nearby!

we are pet friendly eventhough the health department at mexico doesnt allow this kind of service for natural reasons(thats why we doesnt write it down anywhere)

the extra cost is because not all people whit pets is as clean as Americans and in some cases they leave the bed sheets and the rooms very unclean & the risk of being fine by the authorities is alway present.

Santa Maria & Cataviņa both had experienced improvements that might look as small changes but are significant as:

water treatment plants (less salty water)
newer A/C units
Beds improved
english menus now had photographs & better explanation.
sunday buffet
new entrance
security guards 24/7
conference room
convention halls
wifi internet connection at 2mps

as for the price at cataviņa we just bought the place, we found many problems to fix one of them is the power plant, the old power plant was replaced for a newer one giving us the chance of keeping the generator running for more hours to improve the guests experience together with some other things as insulation for water pipes so in summer people wont burn with the "cold" wather because of the sun.

We know we still have a long way to run in order to satisfy our clients but believe us when we say we will continue listening & caring for you!

Thanks

Arturo Rodriguez Rgz.
Marketing Director
PINOS CO.

by the way we also invite you to the Old Mill (molino viejo) that has been re-model & for you to check out our new museum and margarita kiosk rith at the pier in san quintin.

Sorry

luisartrgz2 - 9-30-2011 at 10:24 AM

I lost the point of what I was triing to explain in the other post!

the price at cataviņa will be improved as soon as we evaluate the cost of keeping the place running with the high power consumption
that the pool and the generator implies.

Thanks.

rts551 - 9-30-2011 at 10:52 AM

Gracias, seņor. Una respuesta muy informativa. Disfrutamos de su hotel y restaurante.

Quote:
Originally posted by luisartrgz2

the price at cataviņa will be improved as soon as we evaluate the cost of keeping the place running with the high power consumption

Thanks.

DianaT - 9-30-2011 at 11:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

It is good to hear from you again---thank you. And that tomato salad you serve in San Quintin is great and that alone, makes one want to return. It is DELICIOUS.

We look forward to updates about Catavina

on edit---we also wanted to tell you that your employees at the San Quintin hotel are great. You hired very good people.

[Edited on 9-30-2011 by DianaT]

Perfect location

bajaguy - 9-30-2011 at 11:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Seems like a perfect location for solar power and water heating

Bajahowodd - 9-30-2011 at 03:36 PM

Having watched this thread develop, I must apologize for giving the impression that the price was drastically lower. When I accessed their web site, it was the San Quintin property page. They had an approximately $50 per night charge prominently displayed.

My bad for thinking it applied to the Catavina site.

In retrospect, I can truly understand how the costs of running the off-grid hotel would prevent them from charging the rates they do at San Quintin.

My experience, over the years has been to consider the Catavina property on my N/B journey, mostly based upon the day's progress.

And, I do have to agree with some who have posted here, given that I have never felt that El Rosario was a particularly welcoming place to stay, no jake brakes in Catvina. And, if they bring their restaurant up to anywhere close to what they have accomplished in San Quintin, it would make it a no-brainer for me.

As Ken noted, there is a vast difference between the ambience at Baja Cactus and the Catavina hotel, despite the fact the the Baja Cactus does have more bells and whistles in the rooms, it ain't all about marble and glass.

oxxo - 9-30-2011 at 06:22 PM

We have stayed at Baja Cactus two or three times on our travels. We have always been comfortable there and think it is a great value. But El Rosario just doesn't fit into our travel plans most of the time. Also El Rosario doesn't have a lot to choose from in terms of "gourmet" restaurants (I have been disappointed with Mama Espinosa's too many times - never again!) I wish that SOMEDAY Antonio could expand into other areas of Baja with Baja Cactus hotels.

We used to gas up at Baja Cactus all the time. But the bathrooms became so disgusting that we now bypass that venue and gas up in San Quintin instead. I know we can use the bathrooms at the Hotel but that is inconvenient. If Antonio can straighten out the bathroom situation, we will be more than happy to give him our business.

I have stayed at La Pinta/Desert Inn hotel one time, in GN. I was not impressed for the price charged.

dtbushpilot - 9-30-2011 at 07:21 PM

If I'm traveling solo (with pets) heading North I sometimes go all the way to El Rosario from Buena Vista. I would much rather stop in Catavina but the Desert Inn wasn't pet friendly. If they are now I will gladly stay there, I really do like the Baja Cactus but the extra 1.5 hours really kick my butt.....dt

X2 on the El Rosario Pemex gas station bathrooms. That has to be one of the busiest stations in Baja, surely they could afford to remodel the bathrooms. 20 years ago bathrooms like that were the norm, not so much any more. I can't think of any worse than these.

[Edited on 10-1-2011 by dtbushpilot]

rts551 - 9-30-2011 at 08:54 PM

So that some people don't get their panties in a wad, we still stop at Antonio's gas station.

But we have also found it convenient to stop at the Los Pinos Gas station. Many more diesel pumps, and at least for the premium pumps the accuracy is spot on (we fill fuel jugs there sometimes). They also have a good cup of coffee in the store for those that get an early start for the Santa Maria Hotel.

Just another good alternative out there.

David K - 9-30-2011 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
We have stayed at Baja Cactus two or three times on our travels. We have always been comfortable there and think it is a great value. But El Rosario just doesn't fit into our travel plans most of the time. Also El Rosario doesn't have a lot to choose from in terms of "gourmet" restaurants (I have been disappointed with Mama Espinosa's too many times - never again!) I wish that SOMEDAY Antonio could expand into other areas of Baja with Baja Cactus hotels.

We used to gas up at Baja Cactus all the time. But the bathrooms became so disgusting that we now bypass that venue and gas up in San Quintin instead. I know we can use the bathrooms at the Hotel but that is inconvenient. If Antonio can straighten out the bathroom situation, we will be more than happy to give him our business.

I have stayed at La Pinta/Desert Inn hotel one time, in GN. I was not impressed for the price charged.

Antonio has been wanting to upgrade the bathrooms for years. It is his station, but the socialized Pemex monopoly dictates everything that is done at a station franchise and it has taken years for them to approve his remodel plans. Last I heard, they gave it the approval.

Antonio (a few years ago) hired a lady specifically to maintain the bathrooms all day... Perhaps when so many of the tourists stopped coming to Mexico, business declined and took away that budgeted expense? The station staff are not very responsive to bathrom care I guess? I haven't seen a disaster there.

Nomads buying gas or needing to have all been invited to ues the bathroom in the motel lobby... the door is on the left side of the front desk... open 24/7.

I know that Antonio is spending more time in El Rosario now for the new construction, so maybe he will keep things running cleaner now?

Roberto - 10-1-2011 at 09:03 AM

David, the bathrooms aren't disgusting because they need to be remodeled, the are disgusting because the are FILTHY! They stink to high heaven and so unsanitary as to be unusable. To the point that I specifically plan my trip around not having to try and use them. My wife won't even go near them. I don't know this for sure, but I bet he loses business because of them as people would rather stop somewhere thet can use the bathroom.

You can't seriously be saying that he can't keep them clean because he is a Franchise, right. Try to be a LITTLE objective here.

[Edited on 10-1-2011 by Roberto]

mtgoat666 - 10-1-2011 at 09:14 AM

Quote:

Antonio has been wanting to upgrade the bathrooms for years. It is his station, but the socialized Pemex monopoly dictates everything that is done at a station franchise and it has taken years for them to approve his remodel plans. Last I heard, they gave it the approval.

dk:
i don't think anyone or anything prevents owner from cleaning and maintaining bathrooms. i am sure that pemex approval is not required to fix broken sink or apply new coat of paint

There is also an ATM that dispenses CASH.

Ken Cooke - 10-1-2011 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
So that some people don't get their panties in a wad, we still stop at Antonio's gas station.

But we have also found it convenient to stop at the Los Pinos Gas station. Many more diesel pumps, and at least for the premium pumps the accuracy is spot on (we fill fuel jugs there sometimes). They also have a good cup of coffee in the store for those that get an early start for the Santa Maria Hotel.

South of Los Pinos, it appears IMPOSSIBLE to obtain cash along HWY 1 - until GN.

rts551 - 10-1-2011 at 09:57 AM

Yes. True Ken. and it is inside and there is a guard posted 24/7 at the store. A safe ATM for those that worry.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

South of Los Pinos, it appears IMPOSSIBLE to obtain cash along HWY 1 - until GN.

David K - 10-1-2011 at 10:40 AM

Boys, I don't excuse him for not forcing employees to maintain the bathrooms. It wasn't an excuse for filth. I have sent Antonio an email about this thread in hopes he will take time to respond.

You missed his invitation (and my repeating it above) that you can use the (always clean) lobby bathroom at the motel next door.

I don't know why the Pemex bathrooms were in such bad shape (in your visits), but they shouldn't be. I don't know of many Pemex station with bathrooms that are spotless.

Ken Cooke - 10-1-2011 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KYou missed his invitation (and my repeating it above) that you can use the (always clean) lobby bathroom at the motel next door.

I don't know why the Pemex bathrooms were in such bad shape (in your visits), but they shouldn't be. I don't know of many Pemex station with bathrooms that are spotless.

I will remember this. I always stop in El Rosario on my way back from Mission Impossible 4WD trail as this town is quaint and I enjoy the small town atmosphere.

Bajahowodd - 10-1-2011 at 04:37 PM

"Antonio has been wanting to upgrade the bathrooms for years. It is his station, but the socialized Pemex monopoly dictates everything that is done at a station franchise and it has taken years for them to approve his remodel plans. Last I heard, they gave it the approval."

Bat guano. You really have to jump on your impression of what socialism is. For Cris'sakes, There are thousands of franchised dealers of gas all over the US. They knowingly enter into contracts with the supplier. Those contracts expicitly enumerate what the franchisee can and cannot do.

So, Is Chevron, Exxon Mobil, or Conoco Phillips part of a socialist conspiracy? Geez.

oy vey.

Just perhaps the problem might be more connected to absentee management.

[Edited on 10-1-2011 by Bajahowodd]

David K - 10-1-2011 at 04:59 PM

You answered my point very well... In the U.S. THERE IS: Chevron, Exxon Mobil, or Conoco Phillips... THAT is called competition, the free market, free enterprise. We, the people choose where to buy and no one company is run by the government with all competition made illegal. In Mexico, you have Pemex, Pemex, and Pemex to choose from... LOL!!! :rolleyes:

...as CONSERVATIVE a person as DAVID K is...

Ken Cooke - 10-1-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
You answered my point very well... In the U.S. THERE IS: Chevron, Exxon Mobil, or Conoco Phillips... THAT is called competition, the free market, free enterprise. We, the people choose where to buy and no one company is run by the government with all competition made illegal. In Mexico, you have Pemex, Pemex, and Pemex to choose from... LOL!!! :rolleyes:

...he does have a point.:light:

Roberto - 10-1-2011 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

...he does have a point.:light:

No he does not. He is mixing up monopolies (which Pemex is), with franchises (which have nothing to do with monopolies) with cleaning toilets. I mean it doesn't even make sense, and is a scary look into how his mind works. How in the hell can he have a point when he can't even make sense.

1. Bathrooms are used
2. Bathrooms must be cleaned
3. Bathrooms not cleaned
4. Bathrooms are disgusting

Nothing to do with monopolies, franchises, or anything else. Just clean them!

And he also implies that they are in that condition only on occasion, and I and goat happen to hit those times. More BS, they have been disgusting for many years. In fact they have gotten worse. The last time I tried my luck there was excrement smeared over the walls!

Monopolies, competition and franchises indeed. :lol::lol:

[Edited on 10-2-2011 by Roberto]

Roberto - 10-1-2011 at 05:40 PM

Really? Why don't you try one of your oh-so-detailed explanations, MR. K? I can pretty much guarantee my reading understanding is at least as good as yours.

Everything you say that is not in 100% agreement with you is filled with implied criticism and innuendo.

Here is what you said
Quote:

and

Quote:

In the U.S. THERE IS: Chevron, Exxon Mobil, or Conoco Phillips... THAT is called competition, the free market, free enterprise. We, the people choose where to buy and no one company is run by the government with all competition made illegal. In Mexico, you have Pemex, Pemex, and Pemex to choose from... LOL!!!

So, take your best shot, DK, and explain WTF any of this has to do WITH CLEANING BATHROOMS, which is the topic at hand.

Roberto - 10-1-2011 at 06:16 PM

Gee, how did I miss that?

Quote:

don't know why the Pemex bathrooms were in such bad shape (in your visits), but they shouldn't be. I don't know of many Pemex station with bathrooms that are spotless.

Vintage, passive agressive DK - make a statement and imply a lot more.

Goodnight, DK, want me to come over and give you a hug?

P.S. You never answered my question above and explained how I can't read. Why am I not surprised?

mtgoat666 - 10-1-2011 at 06:28 PM

Quote:

it makes sense to have a state oil co. the oil in mexico belongs to the people!

Bajahowodd - 10-2-2011 at 04:21 PM

Quote:

You totally miss the point. Whether it is a state monopoly, as the goat notes, or some huge multi-national corporations, the bottom line is that franchisees relinquish a great deal of their local autonomy just to get the franchise. At the end of the day, any franchiser would seem to welcome the improvement of a franchise, if it meant selling more product.

Why would Pemex encourage filthy stations? Especially since there is significant tourist busniess, and in my experience, the newer Pemex stations have employed up-to-date fixtures, and cleanliness standards.

Why do you think that Pemex should be singled-out versus the multi-nationals such as Chevron, Exxon Mobil or Conoco Phillips?

As a franchisee, there is virtually no difference. You are at the mercy of the contract you signed.

Your attempt to bring socialism into this conversation is totally lame. If you want to start a thread about free enterprise versus government control, be my guest.

But, in my opinion, if Antonio is really not keeping his restrooms clean or cannot build improvements, I'd like to hear that from him.

Please give me some reasons why Pemex would prevent a franchisee from a) providing clean restrooms, and b) improving their property.

mtgoat666 - 10-2-2011 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

You totally miss the point. Whether it is a state monopoly, as the goat notes, or some huge multi-national corporations, the bottom line is that franchisees relinquish a great deal of their local autonomy just to get the franchise. At the end of the day, any franchiser would seem to welcome the improvement of a franchise, if it meant selling more product.

Why would Pemex encourage filthy stations? Especially since there is significant tourist busniess, and in my experience, the newer Pemex stations have employed up-to-date fixtures, and cleanliness standards.

Why do you think that Pemex should be singled-out versus the multi-nationals such as Chevron, Exxon Mobil or Conoco Phillips?

As a franchisee, there is virtually no difference. You are at the mercy of the contract you signed.

Your attempt to bring socialism into this conversation is totally lame. If you want to start a thread about free enterprise versus government control, be my guest.

But, in my opinion, if Antonio is really not keeping his restrooms clean or cannot build improvements, I'd like to hear that from him.

Please give me some reasons why Pemex would prevent a franchisee from a) providing clean restrooms, and b) improving their property.

the baja cactus pemex is only game in town. the owner obviously doesn't need to keep restoom clean to attract customers, as there is no alternative place to buy fuel.

while DK hates the oil monopoly. at local level, baja cactus pemex is a monopoly, and the restroom conditions perhaps reflects what happens when there is no competition in el rosario... perhaps.

if socialism came with a mandate of the people that all restrooms would be sparkling clean, then the socialist world would be a better place!

[Edited on 10-2-2011 by mtgoat666]

bajaguy - 10-2-2011 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

There is no reason why PEMEX would prevent a franchisee from providing clean restrooms...........the problem is supervision and oversight.

Who(m) ever is supposed to be checking/cleaning the restrooms isn't. Who(m) ever is supervising that individual is not doing their job.

While I have stayed at Baja Cactus and found it a pleasant experience with neat, clean rooms, the same can't be said for the PEMEX station restrooms.

norte - 10-2-2011 at 06:02 PM

my goodness. The gas station and hotel are owned by the same person?If the station bathrooms are that bad, how do you know the hotel rooms are really that clean?

Ken Cooke - 10-2-2011 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
If the station bathrooms are that bad, how do you know the hotel rooms are really that clean?

Past experience, perhaps? :yes:

The hotel rooms are great - especially for the money.:light:

wilderone - 10-3-2011 at 08:10 AM

Sheesh - you people can argue over the most insignificant things. Gas station bathrooms vs. hotel bathrooms. Over 2,000 cars a day pass through El Rosario, many of which buy gas at the corner - a percentage of those use the bathrooms. Q: How many Mexicans does it take to mess up a bathroom with (1) baby diapers; (2) stealing the toilet paper so there's none left for other users; (3) littering instead of using trash cans; (4) not flushing; (5) and possibly clogging the toilets with who knows what. Not racism - the majority of users are Mexicans - and that's the truth. (Go ahead and chicken coop about that in Off Topic). The issue really is not for the owners to be cleaning up after bathroom users, it's for users to please be considerate - it's a public facility. And it's a gas station - not a lounge. Antonio should charge to use his bathrooms - like ALL the bathrooms in ALL the bus stations in Mexico - there's free ones (unkept), and ones that charge a peso (clean). There is an attendant in those who give you an appropriate amount of toilet paper. Roadys should be prepared with their own soap and toilet paper (I do).
On the other hand, Antonio has [how many rooms]? Each with their own bathroom? Tourists/guests - not road folk - different class altogether.
And yes, Roberto, give DK a hug. I hope you're not of one of the "negative vibe" types which overlay everything with a dark cloud. We don't need more of them.

mtgoat666 - 10-3-2011 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
...give DK a hug.

the conversation got a bit silly, all the talk about bathrooms and toilet paper strategy (doesn't evrybody travel throughout baja with a roll of TP in their cargo shorts? :lol: )
but saying DK deserves a hug is silliest of all -- he was the guy who said the bathrooms were result of socialism! :lol::lol:

Von - 10-3-2011 at 08:59 AM

Wilderone totally agree with you. People dont take care. Some do.Some dont, Sad.
I dont know if some of you have used the rest stop bathroom on the 5 freeway going south rt after las Pulgas exit before Camp Pendleton id say 20k people use it a day and they are the cleanest by far. People are just more caring id say? Am i Wrong?

You know whats funny we consider ourselfs well manared? In a community of 10 million ants they are more efficient and caring than us humans weird ha? They takecare of themselves and clean after themselves in a orderly way we seem not to be able to match, just a thought I find really amazing.

wessongroup - 10-3-2011 at 09:11 AM

Not sure about culture... here is the top 9 worst ... by country ... didn't break out Baja from Mexico ...

From huff post...

http://tinyurl.com/3ljeytg

[Edited on 10-3-2011 by wessongroup]

J.P. - 10-3-2011 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
my goodness. The gas station and hotel are owned by the same person?If the station bathrooms are that bad, how do you know the hotel rooms are really that clean?

One owner two different coustomer bases. I dont have any hard numbers but based on my experince about 95% of the hotel customer base is Foriegn tourist where the pemex station base is probably 95% local.
Its strictly my opinion but some of the local merchants especially the ones that have become the Darlings of the Foriegn crowd become very contemptuois of their own people thus the two differing attitudes.:?::?:

dtbushpilot - 10-3-2011 at 09:22 AM

Maybe we should start a new thread titled "hug DK in a filthy bathroom"....I thought this one was about the motel in Catavina.:lol::lol:

rts551 - 10-3-2011 at 01:43 PM

guess we will have to keep those mesicans away from the bathrooms so as we turists can be happy

Roberto - 10-3-2011 at 08:51 PM

David, you have uncovered the conspiracy. You devil you. BTW - do you know the meaning of "passive agressive"? Just asking. :lol::lol:

Skipjack Joe - 10-3-2011 at 09:57 PM

Quote:

There is also an ATM that dispenses CASH.

Thank you, Ken. That is valuable information.

"I knew I'd find a pony somewhere in there"

mtgoat666 - 10-3-2011 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Again, I don't know why he isn't able to make his employees keep the public restrooms clean to everyone's liking?

it's all about priorities.

Quote:
but is it only Antonio's restrooms you find dirty... because I don't recall other threads with specific stations targeted for the white glove treatment?

well, i don't keep notes and gps waypoints, but i have seen some nice, clean pemex bathrooms. in my experience, if the outside is well maintained, the inside is too.

i always use the loo before buying snacks/sodas. if the loo is bad, i skip the c-store purchase. i figure the staff that uses the loo is same staff that stocks the shelves,... bet they don't wash their hands! no thanks!!!!!!

now about this offer of DKs that we can use the better BR next door at motel,... WTF!?!? i did not see a sign saying:

"if you are displeased with our filth,
please pop over next door for less filth!
the management"

Bob and Susan - 10-4-2011 at 04:27 AM

actually the el rosario pemex has a full time attendent now

i was there twice in two weeks

the restroom is old and the equipment is bad but
the attendent is taking care of it as best possible

its way better than in the past

mtgoat666 - 10-4-2011 at 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
actually the el rosario pemex has a full time attendent now

i was there twice in two weeks

the restroom is old and the equipment is bad but
the attendent is taking care of it as best possible

its way better than in the past

That is good news. An attendant - Hallelujah!

Let's get back on the topic -- Hotel Mission Catavina has nice bathrooms. and they have always been spotlessly clean when I have stayed there.

Skipjack Joe - 10-4-2011 at 10:59 AM

Sounds as though you're calling Roberto a liar, David.
Just stirring the pot, folks. ;D

tripledigitken - 10-4-2011 at 12:17 PM

There is now a Pemex thread that is the appropriate place for this discussion of the El Rosario Pemex. Most are looking to this thread for information about Catavina's newly remodeled hotel.

Can any new posts about Baja Cactus be placed either in the Pemex thread or a new one?

Ken

Roberto - 10-4-2011 at 12:40 PM

David, you are a weasel. You want it both ways, insulting people and then play innocent. Your words are clear - you are saying Bob tells the truth and I lie. And you do this kind of crap all the time and then chastise others for attacks. :lol::lol:

Why would I lie? You may have an interest in promoting your Buddy's place, what's my interest? Sounds to me like, having run out of ways to defend the condition of these toilets you accuse me of lying about it. You did notice that I was only ONE of the people that complained about the toilets?

I do know you, and yes, I know about your character - you have none!

What Bob said (and I'm pretty sure he doesn't lie) is that in the last two weeks things have gotten better. That implies that they were not good in the past, right? So he seems to be confirming the multiple reports. I am asking because your reading skills are so much better than mine.

Bottom line is this - if the bathrooms are improved - that's great! About f'ing time! Now my wife will be able to use them. I rarely need to stop there for fuel. My diesel truck carries 95 gallons of fuel. I can fill up in San Diego and drive to Cabo and halfway back, but if the bathrooms are good, I will stop, maybe eat lunch, and top off the tanks.

Now, go and crawl back in whatever hole you live. You're posting during the day? What's the matter, business down (again)?

[Edited on 10-4-2011 by Roberto]

Skipjack Joe - 10-4-2011 at 12:53 PM

Deep inhale.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Roberto - 10-4-2011 at 01:32 PM

Yes, you have said those words -- and in the next sentence you throw doubt on the premise. Once again, that is your SOP.

Why would you delete your posts. If your buddy were more even-handed, someone else would do it for you. But, that's not the way things work around here.

You said what you said. You think it makes any difference. Focus on changing your behavior, not pretending you haven't said something you did.

As far as "making sure" you are doing nothing but demonstrating just how clueless you really are. What I posted (and it's been years, David) is 100% true. Once again, focus on changing your behavior instead of rewriting history.

David K - 10-4-2011 at 01:38 PM

My kids did not take any kayaks and leave them on the beach. Your trailer was nowhere near the beach, and that is the only place I ever saw you. We rented the kayaks, and returned them to where we got them. If someone else took them later, but never signed them out, we cannot help that. Maybe locking them up instead of the honor system was needed? As I said, I discussed it with Doc, he found the missiong kayak down the beach, and he holds no grudge against me or my kids... I have returned there many times after that trip... and you moved away for good. So, why hold on to your myth?

Roberto - 10-4-2011 at 01:46 PM

Trust me, I have my reasons. I also have my reasons for never providing all the details on a public web site. I will not do so now. Once again, for good reason. Just drop it, YOU are the one who keeps wanting to bring it up. There are others involved that I will not drag into this sewer. You will NEVER get an apology, as I have no reason for apologizing for telling facts.

David K - 10-4-2011 at 02:19 PM

Well folks, there you have it... I rest my case.

mtgoat666 - 10-4-2011 at 02:22 PM

Quote:

dk: your problem is you have a case of last-word-itis.

it appears there is no known cure!

tripledigitken - 10-4-2011 at 02:24 PM

Quote:

Take any responses, that I'm sure will come, to U2U. This is getting pathetic.

Ken

Roberto - 10-4-2011 at 02:30 PM

No, it not getting pathetic, it is pathetic. The answer to your otherwise reasonably request is NO. Not as long as David launches accusations (like liar) in public. Sorry.

Roberto - 10-4-2011 at 02:36 PM

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, DK, what case would that be? I really didn't realize you had a point.

Over to you. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

wilderone - 10-5-2011 at 09:01 AM

"Over to you"

DK - take the high road. Silence.

Roberto, you have one of those loud, stinky diesel trucks? (diversionary tactic - I have a feeling Roberto is easy).

DianaT - 10-5-2011 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
"Over to you"

Roberto, you have one of those loud, stinky diesel trucks? (diversionary tactic - I have a feeling Roberto is easy).

Roberto is easy---real easy. If he hears of someone in trouble, he is the first to jump into action. I have worked with him before, and other times when he has heard of someone possibly in trouble, he has contacted me to find out if I had information so he could help.

We agree on nothing politically, enjoy different things in Baja, and I really dislike big diesel trucks, but if I needed help, he would be the first person I would call. He would quickly be in that loud stinky diesel truck and on his way to help. :yes:

Roberto - 10-5-2011 at 09:31 AM

Quote:

High road? A little late for that, wouldn't you say? How exactly do you do that after you have called someone a liar? How stupid is all this? I stated what everyone who has stopped at Baja the Pemex in El Rosary knows - the bathrooms are unusable. There was talk about not having permission to remodel, using the bathroom next door (guess you have to go on Nomad to know about that one), then the truth finally came out in that last little bit. High road indeed! Why don't you take the high road and keep out of it? I mean why roll in the mud with someone like me?

Quote:

Yep, loud stinky diesel truck. The louder and stinkier the better. I like to see the pollution I cause.

Oh, and until fairly recently I also had a loud stinky diesel sportfishing boat too.

Yep, easy. That's cause I'm not nearly as smart, civilized or educated as you. I mean that is your point, right?

[Edited on 10-5-2011 by Roberto]

Pacifico - 10-5-2011 at 09:43 AM

Ya, I really like the hotel....

Bicho - 10-5-2011 at 11:12 AM

Ah...The:dudette: "Diana T Brigade" mount-up for another go at David K..

BORING:o

DianaT - 10-5-2011 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bicho
Ah...The:dudette: "Diana T Brigade" mount-up for another go at David K..

BORING:o

Nah, not at all----just a comment about who Roberto is as a person after all the piling on.

Looking forward to the report from the next person who stays at the Catavina hotel---actual price, policy, etc.

[Edited on 10-5-2011 by DianaT]

Barry A. - 10-5-2011 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico

Now THAT is a classy Hotel!!!! Lookin good!!!!

barry

tripledigitken - 10-5-2011 at 04:45 PM

The views at sunset are exceptional. If we don't spend the night there sunset shots aren't possible, as we don't drive Hwy 1 at night.

(photo was taken 1/2 mile from the hotel)

wessongroup - 10-5-2011 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico

Thanks Pacifico ... didn't even know what the place looked like...

Sure this thread will help them a bit... as it looks pretty nice.. :):)

Sorry Wood... see, in the first post ... you had the link.. came in late...
Now where was it... again...:lol::lol:

kayaks ???? WTF

[Edited on 10-6-2011 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 10-6-2011 by wessongroup]

Pages:  1