Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Hotel Mision Catavina
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2011 at 04:44 PM
Hotel Mision Catavina

Forgive me if I missed any recent posts on this facility that was taken over by the Los Pinos folks.

Just thought that regular travelers would find it helpful to have a web site where they can reserve a room, inasmuch as they have limited capacity in a very remote location.

The good news is that the Los Pinos folks have done a fair amount of upgrading, that is first evident upon arriving at the hotel. A portico.

They have taken the rec room near the pool and made a really nice bar.

Lot's of upgrades, the best of which is the bedding.

http://www.hotelmisionsantamaria.com/es/Catavina.html

Edit, because what I forgot to mention is that the price is just about half of what it was when it was a Desert Inn/ La Pinta/Etc.

[Edited on 9-24-2011 by Bajahowodd]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2011 at 04:50 PM

great news. we like the Santa Maria hotel.wish the price in Catavina would go down....but when you are the only thing going????
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2011 at 04:50 PM

That they lowered their prices is great news. Their other hotel in San Quintin is also very nice.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2011 at 04:52 PM

Oh great news on the price
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2011 at 07:14 PM

Did they improve the food? the few times i have eaten there it wasn't worth the money -- the pink hotel was a lot better
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-25-2011 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ArvadaGeorge
Did they improve the food? the few times i have eaten there it wasn't worth the money -- the pink hotel was a lot better

Just don't stay at the Pink Hotel in the winter. You might FREEZE from lack of heat and no Hot Water. BRRR.:o

ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2011 at 11:39 AM

The pink hotel had hot showers in March 2010
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

sad.gif posted on 9-25-2011 at 12:54 PM
I am sorry for not being fair

Quote:
Originally posted by ArvadaGeorge
The pink hotel had hot showers in March 2010

My Baja Grande 2008 group froze - Nov. 2008 after driving through the rain from El Arco to Guerrero Negro (pictured below) to Cataviña. A Hot shower would have been nice before tackling The Mission Impossible Trail outside of Rancho Santa Inez.

After a steady rain in Guerrero Negro

Hwy 1 Mud - El Rosario

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2011 at 03:33 PM

We have had both positive and negative experiences at Linda's ---the pink motel, but would give it another try.

However, if the price of the Mission Hotel has been reduced, we will definitely stay there again. The times we have stayed there were positive even before the change.

I hope they have changed their English menu, however, it was very difficult to understand. They used have things like young burros and various meat cooked wing iron. (burritos and a la plancha)

[Edited on 9-25-2011 by DianaT]

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2011 at 03:50 PM

My past experience in Catavina is that with the exception of whale season, when several tour operators bring their van and busloads to stay the night, this hotel is underutilized.

As for Ken's photos, they remind me of a couple of times attempting to pass through El Rosario, when the mud flow made it very iffy for all those not driving high clearance vehicles.

An interesting observation about Baja is that while the South hunkers down during the summer and early fall about hurricanes, the North finds itself in a totally different climate thingy, where Northwest pacific storms may rain down huge amounts of water during the winter months.

Hence, a number of our whale trips have greeted us with mud and more mud. While our summer trips have found us dealing with the hurricane thingy. (Been in Mulege at might be considered the worst of all times. )
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2011 at 05:46 PM

Does anyone know for a fact if the Hotel Mision Catavina, nee La Pinta and later Desert Inn, continues to be pet friendly. I have sent them an email and will post their reply, either way.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2011 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
Does anyone know for a fact if the Hotel Mision Catavina, nee La Pinta and later Desert Inn, continues to be pet friendly. I have sent them an email and will post their reply, either way.

Their sign still says no, but it has always said no. We stopped on our way through a few weeks ago and asked, and they said no problem. So we hope they are still pet friendly even with the no pets sign.

Their other hotel in San Quintin is pet friendly.

[Edited on 9-26-2011 by DianaT]

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2011 at 08:12 AM

Thanks for the info. When it was Desert Inn a friend took in her two dogs and was asked for a hugh amount of american money to accept them. She instead gave them a copy of an email from the then owners that said dogs were welcome in Catavina. Funny thing, the desk clerk said he had not understood her and of course dogs were free.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2011 at 09:51 AM

Just received the following terse reply from Hotel Mision Catavina:
good day

We are a new company, we accept pets, but at an extra cost, in this case was charged as an extra person.
As of now I have no idea what the extra person charge is. I will follow up, but does anyone know? Posts of actual guest experiences would be a plus.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2011 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Just received the following terse reply from Hotel Mision Catavina:
good day

We are a new company, we accept pets, but at an extra cost, in this case was charged as an extra person.
As of now I have no idea what the extra person charge is. I will follow up, but does anyone know? Posts of actual guest experiences would be a plus.

I guess we didn't ask about an extra charge----and yes, I hope someone with a dog stays there soon and finds out the current price with, or without dog.

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2011 at 12:23 PM

Here is the Hotel's response:

the cost per room is $ 89.60 dlls. 1 or 2 people, but Mascot $ 18.08, total per room $107.68 dls.
Does this sound like a price reduction to anyone?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2011 at 12:27 PM

Quote:

the cost per room is $ 89.60 dlls. 1 or 2 people, but Mascot $ 18.08, total per room $107.68 dls.

NO----dang, we were hopeful.

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 11:03 AM

The Hotel Santa Maria in San Quintin, same chain, advertises $565 pesos for a double. At about US$50, that is a price reduction. I am going to try to make an on-line reservation and see what I get there.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
The Hotel Santa Maria in San Quintin, same chain, advertises $565 pesos for a double. At about US$50, that is a price reduction. I am going to try to make an on-line reservation and see what I get there.

I believe that is what we paid a little over a month ago. If the old memory serves me well, the sign said $500 pesos, but after tax it was $565 mas or menos. Good luck and will be interested to hear what you think about the place.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 11:38 AM

Quote:

They will also provide a discount if you show them your FM3/ FM2 from a "Baja Location" (I know Loreto works):cool:.. This was an old "La Pinta/ Desert Inn" policy they said they plan to continue..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.