BajaNomad

Frontier vs. Tacoma

TMW - 12-28-2011 at 05:41 PM

Yeah but will you take your Dodge to the same places you can take your Frontier? I have an 04 GMC Z71 with a 2 inch leveling kit and a 04 Tacoma with a 3 inch lift. I would not take the Z71 to some of the places my Tacoma can go. I like them both but for different reasons. You have an Xterra also don't you? That would be a great vehicle for going into bad off road areas. Better than a Tacoma in my opinion.

Ateo - 12-28-2011 at 06:08 PM

David K will have something's say about this. Personally, I like my Tundra.

Barry A. - 12-28-2011 at 06:27 PM

My dynamite 2007 Nissan X-Terra "off road" model, with bilstein shocks, 2.5 inch leveling kit in front, and Calmari "5-leaf" leaf-pacs in the back, rear electric lockers, 265 x 16 BFG All Terrain AT KO's, and automatic tranny takes me everywhere I want to go in comfort and quiet excellence.

It is essentially the same as the Frontier pickup.

What's not to love??? :yes::yes::yes::bounce:

Barry

Ateo - 12-28-2011 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
My dynamite 2007 Nissan X-Terra "off road" model, with bilstein shocks, 2.5 inch leveling kit in front, and Calmari "5-leaf" leaf-pacs in the back, rear electric lockers, 265 x 16 BFG All Terrain AT KO's, and automatic tranny takes me everywhere I want to go in comfort and quiet excellence.

It is essentially the same as the Frontier pickup.

What's not to love??? :yes::yes::yes::bounce:

Barry

Yep. And the Xterra looks so bad ass compared to the Frontier. Never liked the Frontier styling.

David K - 12-28-2011 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
David K will have something's say about this. Personally, I like my Tundra.

Me? Naw, the Toyota sells itself!!:lol::cool:

This grade is east of Mision Santa Maria, and is steeper than the 'widowmaker'. Photos of HB Murphy and I climbing it with our Tacomas.

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by David K]

Roberto - 12-28-2011 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Yeah but will you take your Dodge to the same places you can take your Frontier? I have an 04 GMC Z71 with a 2 inch leveling kit and a 04 Tacoma with a 3 inch lift. I would not take the Z71 to some of the places my Tacoma can go. I like them both but for different reasons. You have an Xterra also don't you? That would be a great vehicle for going into bad off road areas. Better than a Tacoma in my opinion.

I don't have a Dodge, though I would like to. I got the Ford because cab size was paramount at the time.

That said, a close friend (two, actually) drive Dodge diesels. I can guarantee you that those trucks have been everywhere and anywhere any Frontier or Toyota have been or will be. Add to that that the Dodge will do things that no Toyota, Nissan, or any small truck could ever do.

It's all in the wrist. :lol::lol:

And, what you need, of course.

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by Roberto]

Is there $$$ behind that "Guarantee"???

Ken Cooke - 12-28-2011 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
I can guarantee you that those trucks have been everywhere and anywhere any Frontier or Toyota have been or will be. Add to that that the Dodge will do things that no Toyota, Nissan, or any small truck could ever do.

[Edited on 12-29-2011 by Roberto]

I know of a full-size pickup driver who wished he didn't follow a group of Jeeps down a Baja trail. It can get UGLY real fast along the BAJA trails that I run.

2006 Baja Pole Line Road - Caņon Enmedio

The return trip up Caņon Enmedio - 4WD only!

A Full-size pickup simply won't fit!

With a 6" Lift and 35" BFG-MT Tires, vertical clearance wasn't the problem.

In case he got stuck trying to get in between the rocks, a winch cable might pull him through.:?::lol:

SCRAPE!!

Ateo - 12-28-2011 at 08:03 PM

Yeah. Width seems to be my problem from time to time in my Toyota Tundra. Oh well. Need the cargo space.

comitan - 12-28-2011 at 08:05 PM

Lesson Learned!!!

mtgoat666 - 12-28-2011 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKw2hX6xShc
Just found this video.Don't really care either way.My Frontier isn't half the truck my Dodge is.

i like my toyota sienna minivan, preferable to driving my 4runner.

Islandbuilder - 12-28-2011 at 09:08 PM

My perfect off-road vehicle:
1997 F-150, slush-o-matic trans with push button 4wd selector.
160,000 miles, cab-high shell, no lift, and the cheapest tires CostCo sells.

Why is it the best?

Because it's paid for, and there's no freaking way I can afford anything else, and, within reason, it'll get me there and, probably, back.

Planning a 5000+ mile baja road trip for February. Looking forward to it!!

Bob H - 12-28-2011 at 09:57 PM

I absolutely love my 2010 Nissan Frontier!

TMW - 1-2-2012 at 11:42 AM

Sometimnes it's the driver too. I was in the Panamint Mtns this weekend and did the Pleasant Valley loop out of Ballarat into South Park to the bridge. The bridge was closed to all but MCs and ATVs so we returned to Ballarat and went in from the west side to the bridge. On the way out I followed a full size crew cab chevy 4x4 and Tundra. They let us pass since they were crawling along but we waited at the entrance area until we could see them coming down the mtn close. When we passed them we stopped and talked a while. They were in there to hunt and had done it before. They didn't have any damage I could see on the trucks so they had to be really good drivers.

This comment does not belong in an "Off-Road" forum!

Ken Cooke - 1-2-2012 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

i like my toyota sienna minivan, preferable to driving my 4runner.

Honey,
Can I take the Minivan out to play? :lol:

Sweetwater - 1-2-2012 at 07:24 PM

I grew up in Wyoming with a 2WD F150 300ci straight six 4onthefloor longbed pickemup from the '60's.....I took that truck everywhere the Jeeps, Dodges, Chevy's and whatever....of the day...... could go.....

There where no Toyotas or Datsuns to be found out in that country...except for the occasionally broke down FJ...

The only real challenge I remember was the day I had to scrape the frame over a ledge to get over and down a steep ledge.....we teetered on the edge for a moment........and my passenger put his head through the headliner.....there were seat belts somewhere....

I would have to agree that modern vehicles and suspensions are outrageously improved..........but the neuron behind the wheel still controls how much trouble is encountered.....

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by Sweetwater]

Barry A. - 1-2-2012 at 07:40 PM

Old FJ-40's do NOT break down-------they are temporary injured by insane drivers occasionally, but the DON'T break down!!!!

:spingrin:

barry

wessongroup - 1-3-2012 at 06:34 AM

Really great stuff, thanks much... sure looks like fun to me...

BAJACAT - 1-4-2012 at 11:50 PM

Quote:
I hate the phony Nissan commercials.Hill climbing and landing the jet.Really stupid!!!
thats why you dont see that many nissans in BAJA..

Ken Cooke - 1-5-2012 at 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Old FJ-40's do NOT break down-------they are temporary injured by insane drivers occasionally, but the DON'T break down!!!!

:spingrin:

barry

I drove behind one at the bank ATM this afternoon. It was a pristine FJ-40 in mint condition. Not hacked up, cut up, or modified. Fully restored.

Barry A. - 1-5-2012 at 10:25 AM

Quote:

I hate the phony Nissan commercials.Hill climbing and landing the jet.Really stupid!!!

The commercials are so outrageous that I think they are fun, make me laugh, and definitely get your attention (which after all is the main thrust of any advertisement).

Go Nissan!!! :spingrin:

(to each his own)

Barry

TMW - 1-5-2012 at 02:41 PM

It wasn't long ago that Tayota was doing similar spots for the Tacoma. Remember the Lock Ness monster one.

Ken Cooke - 1-5-2012 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
It wasn't long ago that Tayota was doing similar spots for the Tacoma. Remember the Lock Ness monster one.

Here's my favorite commercial!

Ken Cooke - 1-5-2012 at 02:56 PM

David K - 1-5-2012 at 05:47 PM

Okay those are cool Ken... I now understand why it was such a big deal for you guys to all drive one tire up that boulder in Mano Canyon for photo ops.

Back in the 1960's the TV show Daktari (sp?) about an animal hospital in Africa (staring Clarance the Cross Eyed Lion) was sponsered by Kaiser Jeep Corporation.

rts551 - 1-6-2012 at 06:46 PM

neither are doing well in the DAKAR. Buy a Mini!