BajaNomad

Halfway House, La Fonda

gallesram - 2-8-2012 at 11:38 AM

Has anyone been to either place lately? We're coming down to Rosarito this weekend and used to really like La Fonda, but last time we ate there (several years ago), the food wasn't very good. Have never eaten at Halfway House but have seen it a million times. Any opinions/recent experiences would be much appreciated. Looking to go for dinner.

sanquintinsince73 - 2-8-2012 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
Has anyone been to either place lately? We're coming down to Rosarito this weekend and used to really like La Fonda, but last time we ate there (several years ago), the food wasn't very good. Have never eaten at Halfway House but have seen it a million times. Any opinions/recent experiences would be much appreciated. Looking to go for dinner.

No intention of highjacking your thread but I've heard that Brooke Shields was a "regular" there (?).

David K - 2-8-2012 at 11:52 AM

If Chef Johnny is still the owner of the Halfway House restaraunt, you are in for a treat... he was the chef to the president of Mexico at one time, and cooked in San Francisco before returning to Baja.

Do a search for Halfway House or Chef Johnny to see/ read more!
I will bump up some past reports for you... here's one with a photo of Johnny and I in 2009: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=39322

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by David K]

BajaBlanca - 2-8-2012 at 11:52 AM

we have never been there but for sure are curious as to the responses as we drive by it every time we head north or south ....

DENNIS - 2-8-2012 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
No intention of highjacking your thread but I've heard that Brooke Shields was a "regular" there (?).

Ohhh yes. That's true. Here she is with hubby Andre Agassi walking to the restaurant for dinner:

http://www.shuandjoe.com/blogpics/cottslide22.jpg

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by DENNIS]

sanquintinsince73 - 2-8-2012 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Ohhh yes. That's true. Here she is with hubby Andre Agassi walking to the restaurant for dinner:

http://www.shuandjoe.com/blogpics/cottslide22.jpg

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by DENNIS]

Wow! The joint was more modern back in the day.

DENNIS - 2-8-2012 at 12:11 PM

Quote:

Ohh...that was just down the street from La Fonda. She used to like to take Andre to the local fire hydrant before having dinner with Dymitri [or however it's spelled].

gallesram - 2-8-2012 at 12:33 PM

Thanks for the comments; looks generally positive for Halfway House if the same chef is around. We were at the bar at La Fonda about a month ago and it had the same great feel (like old Baja), but didn't want to eat there due to the prior lousy meal. I think we'll try Halfway House for sure and depending upon what people post about La Fonda, we'll consider that for the second night.

I'll be sure to post how things went after this weekend. Funny how we zip by these places and never go to them!

David K - 2-8-2012 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments; looks generally positive for Halfway House if the same chef is around. We were at the bar at La Fonda about a month ago and it had the same great feel (like old Baja), but didn't want to eat there due to the prior lousy meal. I think we'll try Halfway House for sure and depending upon what people post about La Fonda, we'll consider that for the second night.

I'll be sure to post how things went after this weekend. Funny how we zip by these places and never go to them!

Looking forward to your review... The Halfway House (Medio Camino) is quite a landmark from well over 60 years ago... Perhaps the 'only thing' between Rosarito Beach and Ensenada in the old days.

Bajaboy - 2-8-2012 at 01:50 PM

I love sitting on the back patio at Halfway House for lunch....wonderful views and great food.

Udo - 2-8-2012 at 01:54 PM

La Fonda's food has not been the greatest, or the most sanitary in quite a while.
The hotel is so-so.
Poco Cielos' food, next door, is really good. Order the fish en papillote.
Splash, near the half way house, is also very good, and is normally frequented by many expats.

Martyman - 2-8-2012 at 05:09 PM

Had a couple lobsters at half way house last fall. Excelente!

J.P. - 2-9-2012 at 06:01 PM

All the years and the many times I have passed the place never have stopped there. I guess it I was half way home or half way to the border.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LisaR. - 2-9-2012 at 07:15 PM

I finally stopped for a "half-way there" drink at the Halfway House last spring--after over 25 years of driving down to Baja! We didn't eat there, but the vibe was good! It seems well worth trying!

BooJumMan - 2-9-2012 at 07:47 PM

Ate at Poco Cielo about a month ago, and would not go back...for at least a little while. Not very good at all. Ate at Halfway House about 2 months ago and loved it, and have loved the food there for many years.

gallesram - 2-11-2012 at 06:17 PM

Chef Johnny was at Halfway House so we had a great lunch. The food was incredible; we had beef aranchera burritos and the flavor was great. It is the slow season so we had the place to ourselves; even so, Chef Johnny came to our table and explained his passion for Baja cuisine (and he is definitely passionate!).

Definitely worth the stop; I was impressed with the service and loved the history of the place.

David K - 2-11-2012 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Chef Johnny was at Halfway House so we had a great lunch. The food was incredible; we had beef aranchera burritos and the flavor was great. It is the slow season so we had the place to ourselves; even so, Chef Johnny came to our table and explained his passion for Baja cuisine (and he is definitely passionate!).

Definitely worth the stop; I was impressed with the service and loved the history of the place.

GREAT to hear... glad you liked it as it sounds the same as the many past visits there we have enjoyed!:tumble:

bigzaggin - 2-15-2012 at 10:47 PM

One of the first places I ever ate in Baja! 25 years+ ago! Some good memories of sitting on the back porch watching the surf.

WAY behind the times..

EnsenadaDr - 2-16-2012 at 07:16 AM

Andre Agassi has been married to pro tennis player Steffi Graf for I don't know how long, maybe 10 years??? He and Brooke broke up a long time ago...
Quote:
Quote:

Ohh...that was just down the street from La Fonda. She used to like to take Andre to the local fire hydrant before having dinner with Dymitri [or however it's spelled].

DENNIS - 2-16-2012 at 09:47 AM

Steffi and Brooke share him at the dog shows.

Bajafun777 - 2-16-2012 at 01:52 PM

Use to enjoy Halfway House a lot and on Friday & Saturday it can get packed but have now changed to Splash as it is great food always and friends feel the same when I take them there. Just hate to have friends down when you take them out and have them get a meal they do not like.

The lobster at Splash is cooked properly and have never had a friend complain yet when they order it. Friendly place and a number of nomads go there also and I don't really know if my experiences have been the same for others but such is life,LOL. Take Care & Travel Safe---"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

DENNIS - 2-16-2012 at 02:06 PM

We used to stop at the Halfway House for a few before there was a toll road. It was just so convenient...right on the road and lots of parking.

David K - 2-16-2012 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
We used to stop at the Halfway House for a few before there was a toll road. It was just so convenient...right on the road and lots of parking.

... and "Halfway" to Ensenada! Mid 1960's or earlier, eh Dennis?

DENNIS - 2-16-2012 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

That's it, David. Is that when the toll road went down? Mid-sixties? That whole period of my life is kinda blurred. :lol:

David K - 2-16-2012 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That's it, David. Is that when the toll road went down? Mid-sixties? That whole period of my life is kinda blurred. :lol:

Well, the late 60's is when it was finished... but like you, the days before the toll road was built are a bit hazzy in the memory... but perhaps for a different reason than yours... I was a little kid! :lol::lol: (not a hippy :cool::lol: )

[Edited on 2-17-2012 by David K]

DENNIS - 2-16-2012 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
(not a hippy :cool::lol: )

I avoided all that hippy crapola too. Right after high school, I went to a fifty year keg party. I guess I'll have to go home one of these days. :lol:

Andre Agassi...

EnsenadaDr - 2-16-2012 at 09:17 PM

Andre Agasse is good looking and far from looking like a dog...I'm not so sure about Steffi though she is talented...
Quote:
Steffi and Brooke share him at the dog shows.

elgatoloco - 2-17-2012 at 12:32 AM

Halfway House has always been a good time. My family ate there a lot when I was growing up because it was 1K from our 'casa en la playa'. For me it started in early 60's my folks much earlier. I had my first margarita there from Pedro, he knew my parents and their friends, at 16 and many more after. :lol: We used to make sure we were all there for the annual 'grande fiesta de bailar' when all the caballeros would show up out of the hills with their sweethearts everyone in their finest big skirts and bigger belt buckles and sombreros the dance floor would be filled as a five piece banda played on. For many years thru the 70’s the annual international hang gliding championships were held there and the gliders would take off on the mesa to the east and try and hit the bull’s-eye carved in the sand. It was always a big party on Saturday night in the bar during and after the awards ceremony. Many times over the years someone from our campo would be celebrating a birthday or such and we would fill the place up ourselves and party til dawn then walk home if required. I recall warm summer nights in the 80’s on the patio waiting 2+ hours on a holiday weekend for your food order to show up but the sunset, the fresh salsa chips and guac, the c-cktails and the company made it seem like nothing. For a few summers there was a house band that had a guitar player who idolized Carlos Santana and he was good as I recall. :) The first time we met Chef Johnny we asked if we could eat at the bar so we could watch the Chavez - De La Joya fight. No problema and Johnny had no real menu as yet so he asked what we wanted and we said what you got and he said what you want and we showed the bottle of red we brought and he ended up surprising us with a trio of filet medallions each with a different sauce, one each queso azul, crema de chipotle and aguacate. It was served with some garlic mashed and sauté spinach and a nice salad of fresh descanso greens with hothouse tomatoes and homemade dressing. I was impressed and so was my date. :yes: Lots of changes over the decades but always a good time.

Viva Medio Camino! :dudette:

Half way House...Irish???

EnsenadaDr - 2-17-2012 at 05:30 PM

I stopped at the Halfway House over 10 years ago...and at the time they were serving delicious corned beef and cabbage...they said they served it every Sunday...don't know if its still on the Menu..
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Halfway House has always been a good time. My family ate there a lot when I was growing up because it was 1K from our 'casa en la playa'. For me it started in early 60's my folks much earlier. I had my first margarita there from Pedro, he knew my parents and their friends, at 16 and many more after. :lol: We used to make sure we were all there for the annual 'grande fiesta de bailar' when all the caballeros would show up out of the hills with their sweethearts everyone in their finest big skirts and bigger belt buckles and sombreros the dance floor would be filled as a five piece banda played on. For many years thru the 70’s the annual international hang gliding championships were held there and the gliders would take off on the mesa to the east and try and hit the bull’s-eye carved in the sand. It was always a big party on Saturday night in the bar during and after the awards ceremony. Many times over the years someone from our campo would be celebrating a birthday or such and we would fill the place up ourselves and party til dawn then walk home if required. I recall warm summer nights in the 80’s on the patio waiting 2+ hours on a holiday weekend for your food order to show up but the sunset, the fresh salsa chips and guac, the c-cktails and the company made it seem like nothing. For a few summers there was a house band that had a guitar player who idolized Carlos Santana and he was good as I recall. :) The first time we met Chef Johnny we asked if we could eat at the bar so we could watch the Chavez - De La Joya fight. No problema and Johnny had no real menu as yet so he asked what we wanted and we said what you got and he said what you want and we showed the bottle of red we brought and he ended up surprising us with a trio of filet medallions each with a different sauce, one each queso azul, crema de chipotle and aguacate. It was served with some garlic mashed and sauté spinach and a nice salad of fresh descanso greens with hothouse tomatoes and homemade dressing. I was impressed and so was my date. :yes: Lots of changes over the decades but always a good time.

Viva Medio Camino! :dudette:

tiotomasbcs - 2-17-2012 at 05:56 PM

Jua, jua, jua! Dennis is just in Love with andre?!:lol: Ihave always had a thaang for Brooke ever since her 13yr old debut fotos? I shouldn't digress. Classic place--Halfway House. Tio

DENNIS - 2-17-2012 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Jua, jua, jua! Dennis is just in Love with andre?!:lol: Ihave always had a thaang for Brooke ever since her 13yr old debut fotos? I shouldn't digress. Classic place--Halfway House. Tio

Giver' hell, Tio. Thanks mí amigo.

BajaBlanca - 2-17-2012 at 07:14 PM

so how long has chef Johnny been there ? which pres was he a chef for ?