Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Halfway House, La Fonda
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 11:38 AM
Halfway House, La Fonda

Has anyone been to either place lately? We're coming down to Rosarito this weekend and used to really like La Fonda, but last time we ate there (several years ago), the food wasn't very good. Have never eaten at Halfway House but have seen it a million times. Any opinions/recent experiences would be much appreciated. Looking to go for dinner.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
Has anyone been to either place lately? We're coming down to Rosarito this weekend and used to really like La Fonda, but last time we ate there (several years ago), the food wasn't very good. Have never eaten at Halfway House but have seen it a million times. Any opinions/recent experiences would be much appreciated. Looking to go for dinner.

No intention of highjacking your thread but I've heard that Brooke Shields was a "regular" there (?).
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 11:52 AM

If Chef Johnny is still the owner of the Halfway House restaraunt, you are in for a treat... he was the chef to the president of Mexico at one time, and cooked in San Francisco before returning to Baja.

Do a search for Halfway House or Chef Johnny to see/ read more!
I will bump up some past reports for you... here's one with a photo of Johnny and I in 2009: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=39322

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 11:52 AM

we have never been there but for sure are curious as to the responses as we drive by it every time we head north or south ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
No intention of highjacking your thread but I've heard that Brooke Shields was a "regular" there (?).

Ohhh yes. That's true. Here she is with hubby Andre Agassi walking to the restaurant for dinner:

http://www.shuandjoe.com/blogpics/cottslide22.jpg

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by DENNIS]
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Ohhh yes. That's true. Here she is with hubby Andre Agassi walking to the restaurant for dinner:

http://www.shuandjoe.com/blogpics/cottslide22.jpg

[Edited on 2-8-2012 by DENNIS]

Wow! The joint was more modern back in the day.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 12:11 PM

Quote:

Ohh...that was just down the street from La Fonda. She used to like to take Andre to the local fire hydrant before having dinner with Dymitri [or however it's spelled].
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 12:33 PM

Thanks for the comments; looks generally positive for Halfway House if the same chef is around. We were at the bar at La Fonda about a month ago and it had the same great feel (like old Baja), but didn't want to eat there due to the prior lousy meal. I think we'll try Halfway House for sure and depending upon what people post about La Fonda, we'll consider that for the second night.

I'll be sure to post how things went after this weekend. Funny how we zip by these places and never go to them!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments; looks generally positive for Halfway House if the same chef is around. We were at the bar at La Fonda about a month ago and it had the same great feel (like old Baja), but didn't want to eat there due to the prior lousy meal. I think we'll try Halfway House for sure and depending upon what people post about La Fonda, we'll consider that for the second night.

I'll be sure to post how things went after this weekend. Funny how we zip by these places and never go to them!

Looking forward to your review... The Halfway House (Medio Camino) is quite a landmark from well over 60 years ago... Perhaps the 'only thing' between Rosarito Beach and Ensenada in the old days.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 01:50 PM

I love sitting on the back patio at Halfway House for lunch....wonderful views and great food.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 01:54 PM

La Fonda's food has not been the greatest, or the most sanitary in quite a while.
The hotel is so-so.
Poco Cielos' food, next door, is really good. Order the fish en papillote.
Splash, near the half way house, is also very good, and is normally frequented by many expats.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 05:09 PM

Had a couple lobsters at half way house last fall. Excelente!
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:01 PM

All the years and the many times I have passed the place never have stopped there. I guess it I was half way home or half way to the border.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
LisaR.
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 07:15 PM

I finally stopped for a "half-way there" drink at the Halfway House last spring--after over 25 years of driving down to Baja! We didn't eat there, but the vibe was good! It seems well worth trying!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2012 at 07:47 PM

Ate at Poco Cielo about a month ago, and would not go back...for at least a little while. Not very good at all. Ate at Halfway House about 2 months ago and loved it, and have loved the food there for many years.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 06:17 PM

Chef Johnny was at Halfway House so we had a great lunch. The food was incredible; we had beef aranchera burritos and the flavor was great. It is the slow season so we had the place to ourselves; even so, Chef Johnny came to our table and explained his passion for Baja cuisine (and he is definitely passionate!).

Definitely worth the stop; I was impressed with the service and loved the history of the place.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Chef Johnny was at Halfway House so we had a great lunch. The food was incredible; we had beef aranchera burritos and the flavor was great. It is the slow season so we had the place to ourselves; even so, Chef Johnny came to our table and explained his passion for Baja cuisine (and he is definitely passionate!).

Definitely worth the stop; I was impressed with the service and loved the history of the place.

GREAT to hear... glad you liked it as it sounds the same as the many past visits there we have enjoyed!:tumble:

bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 2-15-2012 at 10:47 PM

One of the first places I ever ate in Baja! 25 years+ ago! Some good memories of sitting on the back porch watching the surf.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-16-2012 at 07:16 AM
WAY behind the times..

Andre Agassi has been married to pro tennis player Steffi Graf for I don't know how long, maybe 10 years??? He and Brooke broke up a long time ago...
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Ohh...that was just down the street from La Fonda. She used to like to take Andre to the local fire hydrant before having dinner with Dymitri [or however it's spelled].
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2012 at 09:47 AM

Steffi and Brooke share him at the dog shows.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.