BajaNomad

Splash Restaurant, Rosarito, Last Night

Gypsy Jan - 2-10-2012 at 06:34 PM

The attentive parking attendants found a space for us in the very filled lot.

The Laker's game was showcased on the big flat screen, and there was live music in the bar.

We had the very good fried chicken dinner special with with a glass of wine and a soda.

Check totaled $18.95 U.S.

yellowklr - 2-10-2012 at 08:26 PM

Great place and awesome people
will be there next weekend!

The Marine Room of Baja....

EnsenadaDr - 2-11-2012 at 07:24 AM

Doesn't sound much like the Marine Room in La Jolla, CA as it has been compared to in the past...
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
The attentive parking attendants found a space for us in the very filled lot.

The Laker's game was showcased on the big flat screen, and there was live music in the bar.

We had the very good fried chicken dinner special with with a glass of wine and a soda.

Check totaled $18.95 U.S.

BajaBlanca - 2-11-2012 at 08:34 AM

can you tell me where it is ? if it is even remotely similar to the MARINE ROOM, it must be very beautiful !

Don't bother...

EnsenadaDr - 2-11-2012 at 08:57 AM

The location is nice enough...but its NOTHING like the Marine Room in La Jolla..hahaha.....
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
can you tell me where it is ? if it is even remotely similar to the MARINE ROOM, it must be very beautiful !

Woooosh - 2-11-2012 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
The location is nice enough...but its NOTHING like the Marine Room in La Jolla..hahaha.....
Quote:

Check out the Marine Room menu:
http://www.marineroom.com/files/Marine%20Room%20Dinner%20Men...

Splash vs Marine Room

Gypsy Jan - 2-11-2012 at 06:15 PM

1. Oceanfront window table seating/view with high tide drama drenching the windows -- Push

2. Gracious, friendly greetings voiced by the parking attendants and continued through the entire crew: Splash--1, Marine Room -- Zero.

3. Quality and freshness of the food prepared: Push

4. High level of creative/innovative ground-breaking cuisine: Splash--Zero, Marine Room--1.

5. Pretentious stuffy atmosphere: Splash -- Zero. Marine Room -- 1.

6. Casual, easy-going place with sports on the TV's and very good live music (a Jimmy Buffet vibe): Splash -- 1. Marine Room -- Zero.

7. Big expensive bill to pay at the end of the visit: Splash -- Zero. Marine Room -- ++1.

Headed to the Marine Room, La Jolla in about an hour..

EnsenadaDr - 2-11-2012 at 06:51 PM

I'm headed to the Marine Room in La Jolla California in about an hour, will let you know if its worth it...
Quote:
1. Oceanfront window table seating/view with high tide drama drenching the windows -- Push

2. Gracious, friendly greetings voiced by the parking attendants and continued through the entire crew: Splash--1, Marine Room -- Zero.

4. High level of creative/innovative ground-breaking cuisine: Splash--Zero, Marine Room--1.

6. Casual, easy-going place with sports on the TV's and very good live music (a Jimmy Buffet vibe): Splash -- 1. Marine Room -- Zero.

7. Big expensive bill to pay at the end of the visit: Splash -- Zero. Marine Room -- ++1.

BajaBlanca - 2-11-2012 at 07:54 PM

Gypsy jan - that was a good review and I got the gist of what to expect at Splash ..if anyone has photos - please post !!

I love the Marine room - the atmosphere is posh posh. something tells me I will like Splash just as much - just different is all.

Outside seating

wessongroup - 2-11-2012 at 08:00 PM

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by wessongroup]

I'll vote for Splash

Baja Bernie - 2-11-2012 at 08:02 PM

It will be much more fun and will save my wallet.

Santiago - 2-11-2012 at 08:04 PM

Lakers Game?? I'd check for roaches....

The Gull - 2-11-2012 at 09:37 PM

In the ashtrays?

Marine Room..

EnsenadaDr - 2-11-2012 at 10:58 PM

I have to say...the dinner tonight at the Marine Room was the best dinner I ever ate...the lobster tail was huge...everything was perfect...
Quote:
Gypsy jan - that was a good review and I got the gist of what to expect at Splash ..if anyone has photos - please post !!

I love the Marine room - the atmosphere is posh posh. something tells me I will like Splash just as much - just different is all.

Kalypso - 2-11-2012 at 11:22 PM

Quote:

I have to disagree with you on points 5 and 6. Of all the so called "fine dining" restaurants in San Diego, I think the Marine Room is the least pretentious, most relaxed and approachable. And if you look real close you'll realize it's really just shabby chich by the beach. The decor is dated and in need of some serious rehabbing, but somehow they continue to make it work and seem in better shape than it is.

Love the Marine Room, love any restasurant in Baja overlooking the ocean (as long as the food is decent and the liquor cold).

wessongroup - 2-12-2012 at 04:38 AM

One other for Splash... dress code ... :biggrin::biggrin:

Dress code???

EnsenadaDr - 2-12-2012 at 06:22 AM

My daughter wore jeans and my friend wore a Hawaiian shirt...people dress very casually now!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
One other for Splash... dress code ... :biggrin::biggrin:

Roberto - 2-12-2012 at 09:38 AM

Marine Room used to have a really good Sunday brunch. Is that still the case?

Kalypso - 2-12-2012 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

Not too much any more. I think it was a victim of the economy tanking. They still do High Tide Breakfast tho'. They used to do the buffet for that, now they're down to a set menu for it.

That brunch was spectacular...different food stations from one end of the restaurant to the other. Fresh seafood - oysters, mussels, clams, shrimp, and more - eggs, meats, in-house pastries, fruits, hot food, cold food AND as much free champagne as you could drink.

Sunday Brunch...

EnsenadaDr - 2-12-2012 at 10:24 AM

As a matter of fact, next week I have a reservation for Sunday Brunch at the Marine Room, its now once a month, this month high tide falls on February 19th. I want to add about the ambience and view of last night; the lighting was spectacular, and it was as if the waves and seafoam were slowly coming towards your table, the ocean is that close, the ocean mist was blowing and there was dozens of seagulls flying by the lights..while it was warm and cozy inside the restaurant that has sort of a Cape Cod ambience...anyway..the menu proves to be just as spectacular...here is the latest copy I could get my hands on:

http://www.marineroom.com/files/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20MR%20...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalypso
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

Not too much any more. I think it was a victim of the economy tanking. They still do High Tide Breakfast tho'. They used to do the buffet for that, now they're down to a set menu for it.

That brunch was spectacular...different food stations from one end of the restaurant to the other. Fresh seafood - oysters, mussels, clams, shrimp, and more - eggs, meats, in-house pastries, fruits, hot food, cold food AND as much free champagne as you could drink.

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

EnsenadaDr - 2-12-2012 at 10:28 AM

By the way, the waiter told me that as per order of the chef, no salt and pepper were allowed at the table, but could be requested. The vegetables, beets, white asparagus and carrots, were done al dente, while good, I prefer them to be cooked a little more...to each his own!!!

Roberto - 2-12-2012 at 11:16 AM

Sunday Brunch - Another great place for brunch is the Loews Coronado Bay hotel. Haven't been there in a couple years, but it also used to be spectacular. Anyone tried it lately?

yellowklr - 2-12-2012 at 07:21 PM

Hard to compare the 2 places.......they are both awesome places

I'll be in the area this Fri-Tues and will have at least 3 meals at Splash
Great food,views,people,music and of course the prices how could one not love that place

[Edited on 2-13-2012 by yellowklr]

EnsenadaDr, I Am Happy You Had a Wonderful Dinner

Gypsy Jan - 2-12-2012 at 08:11 PM

At the Marine Room.

I look forward to many more there and at Splash.

Cheers and buen provecho!

GJ

Woooosh - 2-12-2012 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
By the way, the waiter told me that as per order of the chef, no salt and pepper were allowed at the table, but could be requested. The vegetables, beets, white asparagus and carrots, were done al dente, while good, I prefer them to be cooked a little more...to each his own!!!

Imagine if you were to ask for Tabasco! I hate pretentious chefs like that. So 80's. :)