Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Splash Restaurant, Rosarito, Last Night
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 06:34 PM
Splash Restaurant, Rosarito, Last Night

The attentive parking attendants found a space for us in the very filled lot.

The Laker's game was showcased on the big flat screen, and there was live music in the bar.

We had the very good fried chicken dinner special with with a glass of wine and a soda.

Check totaled $18.95 U.S.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2012 at 08:26 PM

Great place and awesome people
will be there next weekend!

Derek
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 07:24 AM
The Marine Room of Baja....

Doesn't sound much like the Marine Room in La Jolla, CA as it has been compared to in the past...
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
The attentive parking attendants found a space for us in the very filled lot.

The Laker's game was showcased on the big flat screen, and there was live music in the bar.

We had the very good fried chicken dinner special with with a glass of wine and a soda.

Check totaled $18.95 U.S.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 08:34 AM

can you tell me where it is ? if it is even remotely similar to the MARINE ROOM, it must be very beautiful !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 08:57 AM
Don't bother...

The location is nice enough...but its NOTHING like the Marine Room in La Jolla..hahaha.....
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
can you tell me where it is ? if it is even remotely similar to the MARINE ROOM, it must be very beautiful !
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
The location is nice enough...but its NOTHING like the Marine Room in La Jolla..hahaha.....
Quote:

Check out the Marine Room menu:
http://www.marineroom.com/files/Marine%20Room%20Dinner%20Men...

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 06:15 PM
Splash vs Marine Room

1. Oceanfront window table seating/view with high tide drama drenching the windows -- Push

2. Gracious, friendly greetings voiced by the parking attendants and continued through the entire crew: Splash--1, Marine Room -- Zero.

3. Quality and freshness of the food prepared: Push

4. High level of creative/innovative ground-breaking cuisine: Splash--Zero, Marine Room--1.

5. Pretentious stuffy atmosphere: Splash -- Zero. Marine Room -- 1.

6. Casual, easy-going place with sports on the TV's and very good live music (a Jimmy Buffet vibe): Splash -- 1. Marine Room -- Zero.

7. Big expensive bill to pay at the end of the visit: Splash -- Zero. Marine Room -- ++1.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 06:51 PM
Headed to the Marine Room, La Jolla in about an hour..

I'm headed to the Marine Room in La Jolla California in about an hour, will let you know if its worth it...
Quote:
1. Oceanfront window table seating/view with high tide drama drenching the windows -- Push

2. Gracious, friendly greetings voiced by the parking attendants and continued through the entire crew: Splash--1, Marine Room -- Zero.

4. High level of creative/innovative ground-breaking cuisine: Splash--Zero, Marine Room--1.

6. Casual, easy-going place with sports on the TV's and very good live music (a Jimmy Buffet vibe): Splash -- 1. Marine Room -- Zero.

7. Big expensive bill to pay at the end of the visit: Splash -- Zero. Marine Room -- ++1.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 07:54 PM

Gypsy jan - that was a good review and I got the gist of what to expect at Splash ..if anyone has photos - please post !!

I love the Marine room - the atmosphere is posh posh. something tells me I will like Splash just as much - just different is all.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 08:00 PM
Outside seating

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by wessongroup]

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 08:02 PM
I'll vote for Splash

It will be much more fun and will save my wallet.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 08:04 PM

Lakers Game?? I'd check for roaches....
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 09:37 PM

In the ashtrays?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 10:58 PM
Marine Room..

I have to say...the dinner tonight at the Marine Room was the best dinner I ever ate...the lobster tail was huge...everything was perfect...
Quote:
Gypsy jan - that was a good review and I got the gist of what to expect at Splash ..if anyone has photos - please post !!

I love the Marine room - the atmosphere is posh posh. something tells me I will like Splash just as much - just different is all.
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 11:22 PM

Quote:

I have to disagree with you on points 5 and 6. Of all the so called "fine dining" restaurants in San Diego, I think the Marine Room is the least pretentious, most relaxed and approachable. And if you look real close you'll realize it's really just shabby chich by the beach. The decor is dated and in need of some serious rehabbing, but somehow they continue to make it work and seem in better shape than it is.

Love the Marine Room, love any restasurant in Baja overlooking the ocean (as long as the food is decent and the liquor cold).
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 04:38 AM

One other for Splash... dress code ... :biggrin::biggrin:

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 06:22 AM
Dress code???

My daughter wore jeans and my friend wore a Hawaiian shirt...people dress very casually now!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
One other for Splash... dress code ... :biggrin::biggrin:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 09:38 AM

Marine Room used to have a really good Sunday brunch. Is that still the case?
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

Not too much any more. I think it was a victim of the economy tanking. They still do High Tide Breakfast tho'. They used to do the buffet for that, now they're down to a set menu for it.

That brunch was spectacular...different food stations from one end of the restaurant to the other. Fresh seafood - oysters, mussels, clams, shrimp, and more - eggs, meats, in-house pastries, fruits, hot food, cold food AND as much free champagne as you could drink.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 10:24 AM
Sunday Brunch...

As a matter of fact, next week I have a reservation for Sunday Brunch at the Marine Room, its now once a month, this month high tide falls on February 19th. I want to add about the ambience and view of last night; the lighting was spectacular, and it was as if the waves and seafoam were slowly coming towards your table, the ocean is that close, the ocean mist was blowing and there was dozens of seagulls flying by the lights..while it was warm and cozy inside the restaurant that has sort of a Cape Cod ambience...anyway..the menu proves to be just as spectacular...here is the latest copy I could get my hands on:

http://www.marineroom.com/files/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20MR%20...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalypso
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

Not too much any more. I think it was a victim of the economy tanking. They still do High Tide Breakfast tho'. They used to do the buffet for that, now they're down to a set menu for it.

That brunch was spectacular...different food stations from one end of the restaurant to the other. Fresh seafood - oysters, mussels, clams, shrimp, and more - eggs, meats, in-house pastries, fruits, hot food, cold food AND as much free champagne as you could drink.

[Edited on 2-12-2012 by EnsenadaDr]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.