BajaNomad

His, Hers, Yours = Su?

Ken Cooke - 2-13-2012 at 04:02 PM

While picking my Wife up from English class today, she asked, "Llevamos Maria a SU casa?"

I interpreted this as, "Can we take Maria to YOUR house?"

She meant (in English), "Can we take Maria to HER house?"

What a nice ride we went on while trying to figure everyone out! :rolleyes:

Russ - 2-13-2012 at 04:25 PM

I get that and have had the same confusion. ? would your wife have used tu ? or would it be OK to use nuestra casa. Can't ever remember using nuestra before but it it flashed back from the 60's. Now that's scary!

DENNIS - 2-13-2012 at 04:28 PM

Nuestra casa = our house

Ken Cooke - 2-13-2012 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

Curiosity: does your wife use "usted" with you?

It might have happened, but I haven't noticed if she has.

[Edited on 2-14-2012 by Ken Cooke]

shitedetector - 2-13-2012 at 05:48 PM

ahh Espanol, que hermosa lengua !

Ken Cooke - 2-13-2012 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Nuestra casa = our house

In a best-case scenario, this form of the Spanish language would be used. But, it can't be rapid-fire spoken fast enough.:lol:

shari - 2-13-2012 at 09:04 PM

it always feels weird when Juan(mi esposo) says usted to me...but that's just the kind of guy he is..."muy educado" well brought up or respectful. He corrects me when I use the familiar "tu" with some people who I consider appropriate for the familiar term tu.

I think it's pretty cool that the term educada or educated actually means well brought up and has nothing to do with school education...when someone is rude, they are mal educada or falta educacion...lacking education...again referring to their upbringing in a social sense.

shari - 2-13-2012 at 09:15 PM

it is common here to be ultra respectful...Juan grew up in San Roque where the folks there are incredibly humble and muy bien educados por cierto. I can tell just by their quiet demeanour who is from san roque...really fascinating folks and different to people from other villages.

Spanish Verbs...

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2012 at 09:29 PM

Can we take...should be Podemos llevar...and to be clearer..if your wife wanted to take Maria to your and your wife's house...she would have used nuestra, or our house...also, using the usted form with a boyfriend or a spouse seems very formal...I have not done it with a friend..though I do use it with my boss...even though we are on friendly terms...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
While picking my Wife up from English class today, she asked, "Llevamos Maria a SU casa?"

lengua...tongue

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2012 at 09:32 PM

Better to use idioma...for language!!! you might get in trouble using lengua...
Quote:
Originally posted by chitedetector

bacquito - 2-15-2012 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Better to use idioma...for language!!! you might get in trouble using lengua...
Quote:
Originally posted by chitedetector

Si, me gusta comer lengua!!

oxxo - 2-15-2012 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

My Spanish language ability is at the first grade grammar school level, but I think that "can we take Maria to her house" translates to, "?Podemos llevar Maria a ella casa?" Pero quien sabe porque yo no sabe nada!

Oso - 2-15-2012 at 02:52 PM

El patron tiene curiosidad de su empleado, Garcia, porque cada dia en la hora de lonche disaparece y el jefe no sabe a donde va. Entonces decida emplear un detectve para seguirlo. Luego el detective reporta:

"Cada dia Garcia tome su carro a su casa, toma un vaso de su mejor escoces, come su" buen bistek, hace amor a su esposa y fuma uno de sus puros cubanos y vuelve a trabajar."

"Bueno, supongo que no hay nada malo en esto, mieintras no esta emborrachandose. En su hora de lonchar, teine derecho a todo esto."

"Perdon, pero me permite tutearlo a Ud?"

"Bueno, esta bien."

"Cada dia, Garcia tome tu carro a tu casa, tome un vaso de tu mejor escoces, come uno de tus bisteks, hace amor a tu mujer, fuma uno de tus puros cubanos y vuelve a trabaajar."
`

Cyanide41 - 2-15-2012 at 05:08 PM

So...
Tu Casa = your house
Su Casa = his/her/their house

When speaking in the usted form, you would use Su as you are not talking "directly to them"

So...
"Mi casa es su casa" is a very polite form of "my house is your house"
and...
"llevamos Maria a su casa?" is "We take Maria to her house?"

I hope that helped.

Ken Cooke - 2-15-2012 at 06:27 PM

The problem is, I learned the formalities of the language in the classroom. Go figure.:rolleyes:

wilderone - 3-8-2012 at 08:00 AM

The su/nosostros pronoun discussion reminds me of one of my conversation gaffes. I was with 3 other friends - I went with one of them to find a restaurant for dinner. We went to Estero Beach and were sitting at a table in the restaurant there, when a waiter asked us if we wanted to order. I told him (in MY Spanish), no, we need to bring two other people from your house. He didn't blink an eye - took that in stride. I realized my error later, and his reaction made it funnier.
No wonder when, as I'm trying to ask a question in Spanish, Mexicans will tell me they don't speak English!! Makes me LOL.

Ken Cooke - 3-8-2012 at 09:18 AM

That must have been a funny conversation, Wilderone!:lol:

QUETZALCOATL - 8-1-2012 at 05:00 PM

Good morning=Buenos manana?

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2012 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QUETZALCOATL
Good morning=Buenos manana?

That's good! :yes:

David K - 8-1-2012 at 07:01 PM

Mañana en la mañana ;) = Tomorrow in the morning

When you have fewer words in a language, they must mean multiple things.

A morning will come tomorrow, but if it is morning now, then it must be 'today'!
Buenos Dias, good days... let the good times roll!

manana

captkw - 8-1-2012 at 07:05 PM

HOLA, all I know is that it means = not today!! and how can I find the the wavey thing?? thanks in advance..K&T:cool:

tilde

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2012 at 07:10 PM

Hold down the ALT key and press '1' '6' '4' then let up the ALT key.

ummm...me stupid!!

captkw - 8-1-2012 at 07:16 PM

LOL,,THANKS I will keep trying!! hell I dont even write english worth burro!!! LOL .....K & T

[Edited on 8-2-2012 by captkw]

I learned this one from Leidys

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2012 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Mañana en la mañana ;) = Tomorrow in the morning

When you have fewer words in a language, they must mean multiple things.

A morning will come tomorrow, but if it is morning now, then it must be 'today'!
Buenos Dias, good days... let the good times roll!

Morning = Almanecer

Hence, 'Mañana, temprano" = Tomorrow, early
Mañana, en el almanecer = Tomorrow, in the morning
Un almanecer puede llegar mañana, pero, si hoy es el almanecer, debe seria hoy = A morning will come tomorrow, but if it is morning now, then it must be 'today'.

The problem with visiting pueblos and backcountry spots, is that your better Spanish grammar is not observed nor practiced regularly.

Case in point, I make it a point to eavesdrop on 'Mejicanos' whenever Leidys and I got shopping, to ask if they way something was said is grammatical or not? For example, the Castillian Spanish heard in South America is comparable to the Queen's English heard anywhere outside of the United States.

I consider myself a student and not a master of the Spanish language, so I always ask those raised with the Spanish language for pointers and examine its use in order to make my Spanish more grammatical.

HOLA KEN and BN

captkw - 8-1-2012 at 07:31 PM

funny thing for my small mind. Ive been going to mex/baja my whole life..That said Ive heard so many different sayings/terms and local slangs from panama up that I myself like my english have stopped trying to be a expert on talking correctly..BUT,,,I ashure you I can go anywhere in mex and get smiles and conversation!! and ya know what,,, I love speaking spanish..and I may speak it better than my english!! and that my friend,, aint saying much !!!!!thanks...K&T would like to take that Jeep for a alaska run !! PS..manana muy temprano.... is a BIG fisherman solgan

[Edited on 8-2-2012 by captkw]

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2012 at 07:34 PM

I'd love to take my Jeep up to Alaska for some 1st class summertime exploring, too! My Wife has really helped me along with my Spanish. Its nearly impossible trying to learn Spanish in a sidewalk cafe, ordering Tacos y Champurrada. I think the best way is for someone to help you on a daily basis. After 2-3 yrs., you'll definitely be on your way.

ken,,your fast reply

captkw - 8-1-2012 at 07:39 PM

I speak spanish WELL!! but I cant type or write english/spanish worth burro!!one of these Id be a proud BN to share a beer with you and the wifeand look at this RUBY...myself ...gotta gvo DOGS

deportes - 8-1-2012 at 09:20 PM

As a native Spanish/castellano speaker a lot has to do with the differences and similarities between both forms of Spanish.

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/castillian_spani...

In some countries we mix both forms as we see appropriate for the situation.

David K - 8-1-2012 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA, all I know is that it means = not today!! and how can I find the the wavey thing?? thanks in advance..K&T:cool:

I see that Ken tried to show you how to make an ñ,

Let me say it differently: With the left hand finger, press and hold down the 'Alt' key at the bottom left. At the same time, using your right hand finger, press on the right keyboard: 1-6-4 then release the Alt key.... ñ If you want a big one, it is 1-6-5 : Ñ

deportes - 8-1-2012 at 09:38 PM

Marinero - 8-1-2012 at 10:39 PM

In Los Barriles, we are looking to get native speakers to teach us how they talk. Remember, most did not go all the way through the education process and may not know all of the verb tenses. However, they know how they talk and I want to know how they do it so I can listen to it. Have any of you been succesful in doing this?

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2012 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deportes

I was at a grocery store, and a woman used an incorrect past tense verb form. I was puzzled, and immediately asked my Wife if there was an exception to the rule?? She told me that this woman must have grown up speaking Spanish wrong her entire life.

example: Me hablo por telefono ayer.

The speaker said, "Hablo" instead of "Hable". I told my Wife, "This is why it can be so difficult to learn to speak Spanish - because, you might practice with someone who insists of speaking it incorrectly."

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2012 at 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
In Los Barriles, we are looking to get native speakers to teach us how they talk. Remember, most did not go all the way through the education process and may not know all of the verb tenses. However, they know how they talk and I want to know how they do it so I can listen to it. Have any of you been succesful in doing this?

I have been told repeatedly that Mexico City is where the standard Mexican-Spanish language is spoken correctly. Regional variations exist, but for the standard form, the educated come from or were educated in Districto Federal, or Mexico City.

ecomujeres - 8-1-2012 at 11:30 PM

Quote:

Morning = Almanecer

Ken: algunas clarificaciones para tí.

Dawn, daybreak = el amanecer (you’ve got an “l” that is extra in the word).

Mañana al amanecer = tomorrow at dawn / early tomorrow / tomorrow when (I, you, etc…) get up.

And a very common question in Baja and beyond, asked of a person as a first greeting: ¿Cómo amaneció (amaneciste)? Literally “how did you wake up?”, but meant more like “How are you this morning?”

And some other info:

por la mañana = in the morning.

Mañana por la mañana = Tomorrow morning

Saludos :-)

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2012 at 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ecomujeres
Quote:

Morning = Almanecer

Ken: algunas clarificaciones para tí.

Dawn, daybreak = el amanecer (you’ve got an “l” that is extra in the word).

Mañana al amanecer = tomorrow at dawn / early tomorrow / tomorrow when (I, you, etc…) get up.

And a very common question in Baja and beyond, asked of a person as a first greeting: ¿Cómo amaneció (amaneciste)? Literally “how did you wake up?”, but meant more like “How are you this morning?”

And some other info:

por la mañana = in the morning.

Mañana por la mañana = Tomorrow morning

Saludos :-)

Muchas gracias por sus clarificaciones. No he visto una sala de linguaje hasta 1994, y por eso, necesito la ayuda de Profesores para entender las variadades que encuentro diariamente. 1994 - 2012 = 18 years!?! How did this amount of time go so fast??

ecomujeres - 8-2-2012 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
18 years!?! How did this amount of time go so fast??

No recuerdo. ¿Han pasado 18 años? ¡Híjole! :spingrin:

Y debe ser:

"No he visto una sala de idiomas desde 1994..."

[Edited on 8-2-2012 by ecomujeres]