BajaNomad

Birrieria Ejido Nuevo Uruapan - El Rosario

woody with a view - 5-5-2012 at 07:09 PM

Bia and i headed south from the baja cactus last saturday around 6am. nothing was open yet except the bus depot and there were 2 buses in the front so we kept going. as we passed tacos mision i noticed this birria place was open. we continued south for a minute and something made me turn around!:saint:

we pulled up and sat down to some very good birria. something strange was happening and i couldn't figure it out. the girl behind the counter looked familiar, was very friendly and we all chatted during our meal.

suddenly it hit me!!! i asked her if she had a sister named Marina? her eyes lit up and it was like a bolt of lightning struck. suddenly, we all were taken back to those ugly days http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38534#pid4127... of yesterday.

tears came to all of our eyes as the food was forgotten and old friendships were suddenly solid again. you see, if you read the link you'll understand how a family was torn apart by the P-nche-cartel.

Berenice (Bere) is running this stand 6 days a week. Marina is now a police woman (i hope she finds the chilitos who killed her mom!) in El Rosario! Elsa's husband Santo has remarried and has a baby boy Santiago (Bia's dad's name!) and the family is clawing back from the brink.

i have to think that Elsa had something to do with me turning around and going back to the birria stand that morning! our hearts sink every time we drive past the old La Mijita taco stand and think of the senseless tragedy. we still go out to the coast and see that part of the family but i can't tell you how good it feels reconnect with the entire family, and how random of an event it was. small F*ING world!!! it makes my heart swell with pride/love/respect to know that Elsa raised her family so well that they have prospered when they could have just as easily fallen on their faces.

Viva El Rosario and it's people. please stop by this little stand and give it a try. you won't be disappointed.

rts551 - 5-5-2012 at 07:22 PM

Nice post Woody

DianaT - 5-5-2012 at 07:30 PM

That was such a horrible tragedy, and I have no doubt that it was Elsa who made you turn around!

We will definitely stop there to eat in the near future!

THANKS for sharing this very special experience.

tiotomasbcs - 5-6-2012 at 10:14 AM

Little things make great big things!:light: The people of Baja are its greatest treasure.. The little hideaways like this and many others along the road are always fun and share the spirit of La Frontera. Good story Woodman. Tio

Udo - 5-6-2012 at 10:22 AM

How far below Mama Espinozas' is the birrieria, Woody?

David K - 5-6-2012 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
How far below Mama Espinozas' is the birrieria, Woody?

Mama Espinoza's is #2 on the map and Tacos Mision is #36... The new birria place is next door to Tacos Mision, 1.4 miles from Mama's.

Thank you for the post Woody! I love birria...

Rosario Eats-r.JPG - 45kB

woody with a view - 5-6-2012 at 12:03 PM

i included the tacos mision stand in the foto for reference. tell them Roberto y Beatriz said hi!

BTW, does anyone know when El Rosario Days are? i think it was july but can't remember.

Ateo - 5-6-2012 at 12:16 PM

Stop rubbing it in Woody! ;);)

rts551 - 5-6-2012 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i included the tacos mision stand in the foto for reference. tell them Roberto y Beatriz said hi!

BTW, does anyone know when El Rosario Days are? i think it was july but can't remember.

Your photo gave away the perfect location, Woody. Way better than GPS coords. I'm stopin there next trip. Open early huh?

[Edited on 5-6-2012 by rts551]

woody with a view - 5-6-2012 at 12:56 PM

bright and early.

durrelllrobert - 5-6-2012 at 06:54 PM

birria de chivo?

Ateo - 5-6-2012 at 07:10 PM

I'm getting birria with the family next time in El Rosario..............

David K - 5-6-2012 at 09:01 PM

Quote:

Woody, that was in 2005, 2006 and 2007... Antonio (BajaCactus) gave it all he could, but the other towns people just couldn't organize the event without him running it. It was in late July to correspond with the founding of El Rosario in 1774 by the Dominican Padre Francisco Galisteo.

El Rosario

Skipjack Joe - 5-6-2012 at 09:38 PM

I always wondered what they were doing as they moved from one bead to another. I guess this practice goes way back in time.

rosary.jpg - 36kB

rts551 - 5-7-2012 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Woody, that was in 2005, 2006 and 2007... Antonio (BajaCactus) gave it all he could, but the other towns people just couldn't organize the event without him running it. It was in late July to correspond with the founding of El Rosario in 1774 by the Dominican Padre Francisco Galisteo.

Where did this come from? I wonder what the "other towns people" would say? I need to ask them.. maybe wouldn't is more appropriate than couldn't????:?::?:

David K - 5-7-2012 at 10:40 AM

Where did what come from? Woody asked about the July "El Rosario Days", which I took as meaning the Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival that many of us from Nomad attended in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

rts551 - 5-7-2012 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Where did what come from? Woody asked about the July "El Rosario Days", which I took as meaning the Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival that many of us from Nomad attended in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

And you decided that the "other towns people just couldn't organize the event without him running it". and I think there are probably other people who could organize it if they wanted to.

David K - 5-7-2012 at 11:04 AM

I am just reporting on the obvious based on what I saw and heard there in El Rosario. You can post what you like, but the FACT remains, that without Antonio's major envolvement the event has not continued.

Bajahowodd - 5-7-2012 at 04:14 PM

Sorry. But, I always prefer to just drive on through El Rosario. Just too many disappointing experiences (it is probably the least hospitable towns in Baja), and an overall creepy feel to the town.

Weird thing is that I really cannot complain about any of the other places from top to bottom. So...to each their own.

rts551 - 5-7-2012 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Sorry. But, I always prefer to just drive on through El Rosario. Just too many disappointing experiences (it is probably the least hospitable towns in Baja), and an overall creepy feel to the town.

Weird thing is that I really cannot complain about any of the other places from top to bottom. So...to each their own.

Probably because they can not organize an event.

woody with a view - 5-7-2012 at 04:20 PM

that's how i feel about san q. kreeepy!

Skipjack Joe - 5-7-2012 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
that's how i feel about san q. kreeepy!

Yep. I prefer ER over San quintin too, although the latter has better eateries.

woody with a view - 5-7-2012 at 05:36 PM

agreed. that's why we were looking for somewhere to eat. mama's OUT. ed's OUT. bus station FULL.

it worked out. BTW, birria is hard to screw up so give them a try next time. sprinkle some pork rinds on it ans listed to the snap, crackle, pop!

David K - 5-7-2012 at 06:02 PM

There are dozens more places in El Rosario besides Mama's and Ed's... and you can get good meals at those two, also. Anywhere in Mexico can be hit or miss... all depends when you show up. Cooks quit, the food is a day beyond freshest, the waitress is tired... whatever. If you are going to be that fussy, then central Baja isn't the best place to vacation. Best to bring your own food and stove...

The map I posted above to show the distance to the Birria place has eateries highlighted... and that was in 2006. More have arrived, and some have changed since then.

rts551 - 5-7-2012 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
agreed. that's why we were looking for somewhere to eat. mama's OUT. ed's OUT. bus station FULL.

it worked out. BTW, birria is hard to screw up so give them a try next time. sprinkle some pork rinds on it ans listed to the snap, crackle, pop!

You are absolutely correct in your assessment. Glad you found a place to recommend. Sometimes it pays to be "fussy". "bring your own food and stove". What a putz.

woody with a view - 5-7-2012 at 06:28 PM

cmon DK, it is my money. i'll give a place a chance and if there is nothing i find worth going back, i look elsewhere. actually, we had dinner at the taco stand at the curve right next to the mercado RIGHT AT THE CURVE. it was great. all of the "big name" places in ER have had their chance with me.

i'll look to patronize the little guy for a change. and as always, you are free to do what you want.....

David K - 5-7-2012 at 06:34 PM

I agree, and I am the first to give people a good mention here and also am not so bent by bad service (at Mama's once) or less than excellent food (at Primo's a couple times) that I stop going to any one place unless it is never good...

Tacos Mision has never let me down, nor has Ed's Baja's Best. As I said, there are more places to go... Bajaboy mentioned a new place across from the park/ police station... included photos.