BajaNomad

Lenguada fish

oxxo - 5-8-2012 at 08:06 AM

What is the English name for the Spanish Lenguada. I had some last night and thought it was good, but the flesh was a little mushy. I prefer a firmer flesh. Maybe it was the way it was prepared.

Martyman - 5-8-2012 at 08:08 AM

Halibut

beachbum1A - 5-8-2012 at 08:11 AM

If it was frozen, thawed, refrozen several times, the flesh of any fish will become "mushy" when cooked. Maybe this was the case in what you were served.

rts551 - 5-8-2012 at 08:25 AM

normally spelled lenguado I believe. And if not old, very good eating.

Lenguado = flounder (halibut)

Pompano - 5-8-2012 at 08:27 AM

Bay of Conception halibut..good table fish.

Alaska's Cook Inlet halibut...better table fish. (this was a 'chicken')

Some Alaskan 'barn doors'

Lenguado 'cheek' prices in states: (Pike's Market, Seattle)

Like beacbum1A said, frozen fish can become mushy. Fish is best cooked fresh.

shari - 5-8-2012 at 10:55 AM

we all have lenguado on our minds these days as May is when they come into the beaches for shore fishing...yum yum!

DENNIS - 5-8-2012 at 02:06 PM

I love Lenguado. I just bought a couple of deep fryers and I'll bet I've cooked around 300 pounds of it in the last few weeks. I'm experimenting with batter.
Anyone have a batter recipe to share? I'll try anything.

Cypress - 5-8-2012 at 02:33 PM

Have you tried corn meal with any number of seasonings?:D

Howard - 5-8-2012 at 02:37 PM

Hey Shari

I still don't know how to post pictures on this board. Do you still have a picture of my 44 lb Halbiut that I caught last October? If so, can you post it for these folks?
Thanks
Howard

chuckie - 5-8-2012 at 02:52 PM

Caught 2 yesterday Ate em...excellent....I grill em on Mesquite coals

dtbushpilot - 5-8-2012 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
we all have lenguado on our minds these days as May is when they come into the beaches for shore fishing...yum yum!

I can't wait to come "whisper up" some halibut shari, maybe I can stop on my way north in a week or so....dt

Cypress - 5-8-2012 at 03:17 PM

Halibut are choice, any way you cook 'em.:spingrin:

shari - 5-8-2012 at 06:36 PM

here ya go Howard...epic halibut...biggest we've ever seen here...that was some serious halibut whispering amigo!!!

our favorite way to catch halibut is spearfishing

woody with a view - 5-8-2012 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:

I can't wait to come "whisper up" some halibut shari, maybe I can stop on my way north in a week or so....dt

i smell a throwdown for the "Shore Fishing Champion de Bahia Asuncion" coming on! T-Shirt included with entry - fee proper ID.......

edit: -

[Edited on 5-9-2012 by woody with a view]

dtbushpilot - 5-8-2012 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Quote:

i smell a throwdown for the "Shore Fishing Champion de Bahia Asuncion" coming on! T-Shirt included with entry fee proper ID.......

If you can wait till the end of June I'm in, they should be biting good by then....dt

woody with a view - 5-8-2012 at 06:47 PM

i gotta window in july. thinking BOLA but WTF? a good time is where i find it....

pray4tuna!

shari - 5-8-2012 at 07:01 PM

when I lived on Vancouver Island, the natives always served halibut that was soooo delicious....here is how they (and I) prepare it. First, cut the halibut into pieces about 1-2" wide and about 6" long...then rub mustard into the fillet, then do the shake and bake bag thing with flour with whatever spices you like, garlic salt, pepper etc...then deep fry in a fry pan till golden.

willardguy - 5-8-2012 at 07:04 PM

are you talking about a dry mustard?

shari - 5-8-2012 at 07:09 PM

they just used regular old yellow mustard...the tartness just adds a certain...je ne sais quoi...bite to it and seals in the juices...so simple but so incredibly yummy!

We're in for the halibut for the helluvit throw down in July!!!

Skipjack Joe - 5-8-2012 at 07:11 PM

Notice the rocky shoreline. Most fish from beaches. I can't remember if we let this one go.

ahalibut.jpg - 49kB

woody with a view - 5-8-2012 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Notice the rocky shoreline. Most fish from beaches. I can't remember if we let this one go.

'ats not a lenguado! this pig was stuck in 8 feet of water in northern LA county 2 weeks ago. just goes to show that they still swim among us!

facebook_-745669527.jpg - 44kB

baitcast - 5-9-2012 at 07:10 AM

Punta San Carlos the Butt capital of Baja.

flattie

captkw - 5-9-2012 at 07:27 AM

Butt's,chicken(under30lb)barndoor,,doormat,,flattie's and starey flounlder dos'nt count...did I miss one ?? K&T :cool:

Taco de Baja - 5-9-2012 at 07:28 AM

This little guy hit on a lure just a little smaller than he was. He went back to swim for another few years

His older sibling wasn't so lucky:

baitcast - 5-9-2012 at 07:32 AM

Don't think so,pretty well covered them all:lol:
Rob
Doesn't get much better than that.

[Edited on 5-9-2012 by baitcast]

Tbone - 5-9-2012 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Bay of Conception halibut..good table fish.

Alaska's Cook Inlet halibut...better table fish. (this was a 'chicken')

Some Alaskan 'barn doors'

Lenguado 'cheek' prices in states: (Pike's Market, Seattle)

Like beacbum1A said, frozen fish can become mushy. Fish is best cooked fresh.

I've had the Halibut cheeks from Pike street market, very good.

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2012 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

'ats not a lenguado! this pig was stuck in 8 feet of water in northern LA county 2 weeks ago. just goes to show that they still swim among us!

You better be nice to me or I won't tell you where the spotfin croakers are.

BajaRat - 5-9-2012 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i smell a throwdown for the "Shore Fishing Champion de Bahia Asuncion" coming on! T-Shirt included with entry fee proper ID.......

If you can wait till the end of June I'm in, they should be biting good by then....dt

I'm in. :cool:

I'm in!

Howard - 5-9-2012 at 10:21 AM

Can I use the butt I caught last October at B.A. that is on page 1 of this post?

Yeah, yeah, I'm still bragging

Curt63 - 5-11-2012 at 02:51 PM

Do these count?

rts551 - 5-11-2012 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Do these count?

Hey!!! looks like your walking back out to let them go. Right?