BajaNomad

visit to Baja Asuncion

Rob&Fran - 5-8-2012 at 10:43 AM

First time side trip visit to Babia Asuncion... What an awesome place!...brightly colored buildings, everybody smiling and waving . This is small fishing village is obviously enjoying prosperity.
We stayed at the Bahia Asuncion B&B owned by Jean and Ed. The accomodations are absolutely the best that we have stayed in anywhere on the Baja.......two units, well appointed and tastefully decorated, a great value! www.bahiaasuncionbb.com Whether you like fishing, surfing, kiting, laidback authentic small town environment. This is a place ya really ought to try.

shari - 5-8-2012 at 10:51 AM

It was nice to meet you guys out at san roque...glad you liked our little village...and welcome to baja nomads...good to see some new blood around here!!!

Rob&Fran - 5-8-2012 at 10:59 AM

Thanks a bunch Sheri !
You guys have really got an awesome life style going on there.:biggrin:

rts551 - 5-8-2012 at 12:59 PM

Pictures - photos pls??? The entire coastline is beautiful. Did you get a chance to explore? Did you do any fishing? Surfing? Pictures of the accommodations pls. From what I have seen they are absolutely beautiful.

DianaT - 5-8-2012 at 03:07 PM

Welcome to nomads. We are glad you had a great time in Bahia Asunción and yes, this has been a VERY good year for the lobster fishermen and we hope the abalone fishermen will do as well.

If you do have some pictures from your trip, they are always nice to see. Ed and Jean do have a beautiful place and I hope you don't mind, but for reference, I am making the link to their website a clickable link --- just easier than cut and paste.

Bahia Asunción B & B

Hope you will return for another visit.

acadist - 5-8-2012 at 04:50 PM

Great place, great people!

BajaDixon - 5-8-2012 at 04:58 PM

What are the average daily temperatures there on the coast in June and July?

Can you travel north along the water up to the area around Scammons Lagoon?

DianaT - 5-8-2012 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDixon
What are the average daily temperatures there on the coast in June and July?

Can you travel north along the water up to the area around Scammons Lagoon?

Hi Bob, this is Rose's sister. The climate in Bahia Asunción is quite similar to where you are in Baja only less fog. And it is usually warmer in town. It changes everyday, but it is not as hot as further south.

Answer to your second question, I don't think so. There is a back road from the Tortugas Road to the lagoon, but it is restricted by the salt company.

For your Razor's, there are lots of roads in the desert areas which, of course are hotter. However, the best road along the coast is the 60+ dirt road from BA to Abreojos --- check our web site and it gives some information about that road.

Also, rts555 can give you great first hand information about dirt roads in the Abreojos area. And there are also good places to stay in La Bocana and in Abreojos.

We had hoped you all would make it out to our place on your trip. Also, August is a good time as we have the fiesta around the 15th. I have been trying to get my sister down there for the fiesta!

Diana

I forgot --- there is also the back way from BA to Tortugas that is mostly dirt and places where you can go out to the coast.

[Edited on 5-9-2012 by DianaT]

tiotomasbcs - 5-8-2012 at 06:03 PM

But, I digress, Dianna?! Have Dianna andShari made Peace?! Hope so. BA has lots of space and good people. B&Bs to the max, not. Shari and Ed and Jean are wonderful & and great connections! Fishing? I'm going with Surfdoc or Juan. I 'll Party with Bud at the beach. Don't have to drive home! Sweet. Tio

rts551 - 5-8-2012 at 06:04 PM

And from Tortugas you can continue on to Malarrimo with an ATV/UTV.

David K - 5-8-2012 at 06:05 PM

Shari and Juan make Bahia Asuncion a pleasure to visit, even if you are not into fishing! Thanks to Shari for letting us all know about her little village, just a few years ago, here on Baja Nomad!

rts551 - 5-8-2012 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Shari and Juan make Bahia Asuncion a pleasure to visit, even if you are not into fishing! Thanks to Shari for letting us all know about her little village, just a few years ago, here on Baja Nomad!

No thanks to the subject of this thread?

rts551 - 5-8-2012 at 06:11 PM

Thanks Ed and Jean.....and thanks Juan and Shari for providing accommodations to the Asuncion visitors.

woody with a view - 5-8-2012 at 06:19 PM

why the jab Tio? there is always space for everyone here/there/where? just look at me and DK, two fat guys in a room.....

:light:

DianaT - 5-8-2012 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
why the jab Tio? there is always space for everyone here/there/where? just look at me and DK, two fat guys in a room.....

:light:

Why people feel the need to jump in and try to mess up a thread that was started to compliment people about their business is beyond me---

These people obviously loved this place, some people really enjoy the hotel in town and some people like the places provided by shari---and has anyone ever jumped in this way. No. What a way to welcome newcomers. Agree with them about the quality of the B&B where they stayed or disagree based on personal experience with the B&B and the owners!

And Tio---you are so uninformed, and so out of line. You do not have a clue. :(

Now, does someone have something say about the topic, the Bahia Asuncion B & B based on personal experience or perhaps more of an answer to BajaDixon's question?

tiotomasbcs - 5-8-2012 at 06:40 PM

No offense intended. But the subleties in a small village.... It's all good and I'm looking forward to bunking with David E up in Alaska?! I'll Hang in the Campground. Hawaii, not! Best wishes to my Tocayo, Tomas! and , of course to the Guy at the Pemex? Tio ps, abulone,tacos?! See Ya, Tomas

shari - 5-8-2012 at 07:06 PM

tio...davidE has moved over to "Hawaii"...fewer stairs......gypsies are here enjoying the amazing view from "Alaska"....the locals have been asking if you will be back again.

June, July air temps are great...high 70's to mid 80's usually...perfect for shore fishing, kayaking, exploring, biking etc.

Bicho - 5-8-2012 at 07:27 PM

Well...well Diana T Is the nasty bug coming back? Last few references to David K and now working up to yet another overkill concerning Ed and Jean who are truly nice people...and who probably don't need your help to promote their business in Bahia Asuncion and most likely will do better without it.

How long before you are into another full fledged attack on Shari and her family?

Nobody wants it...nobody needs it... Keep your information clear, honest and respectful...remember what your mother told you..."if you can't say something nice...don't say anything!"

We are all adults capable of forming our own opinions based on what we experience.

So whatever it is that is going on...please make an adjustment and return to the respectful personna you presented for so many months...it was appreciated.

[Edited on 5-9-2012 by Bicho]

[Edited on 5-9-2012 by Bicho]

rts551 - 5-8-2012 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bicho
Well...well Diana T Is the nasty bug coming back? ast few references to David K and now working up to yet another overkill concerning Ed and Jean who are truly nice people...and who probably don't need your help to promot their business in Bahia Asuncion and most likely will do better without it.

How long before you are into another full fledged attack on Shari and her family?

Nobody wants it...nobody needs it... Keep your information clear, honest and respectful...remember what your mother told you..."if you can't say something nice...don't say anything!"

We are all adults capable of forming our own opinions based on what we experience.

So whatever it is that is going on...please make an adjustment and return to the respectful personna you presented for so many months...it was appreciated.

Read her posts bioch. They are thread related. Its people like you who have nothing good or related to contribute to the subject. Sorry Rob and Fran. I appreciate your nice review of Asuncion. Enough said.

woody with a view - 5-8-2012 at 07:38 PM

WOW! sorry to drag you all's into the morass. with Junior killing himself, and we just coming back from a 6 day trip i guess i didn't have my armor on!

who cares where the line is drawn in the sand? there is plenty of beach so WTF?

David K - 5-8-2012 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

I can only relate to what I experienced, and since Ed and Jean were not yet in Asuncion when I was there almost 5 years ago, how could I provide anything about their B&B? It looks terrific on the web site for it!

Rob and Fran did a great job, so why do I need to say anything more then they did?

I was prompted to reply by tiotomasbcs... Asuncion is a nice town EVEN without fishing!

Stop reading negative into everything...

tiotomasbcs - 5-9-2012 at 06:36 AM

Should have known better. Ni modo. Welcome to the board, Amigos. Lots of interesting info re Baja California. Now I'm moving over to the corner of the sandbox to contemplate. Tio

[Edited on 5-9-2012 by tiotomasbcs]

boe4fun - 5-9-2012 at 07:33 AM

Hey Woody, If you and DK were not only fat but bald as well you could put your heads together and make an a$$ out of yourselves!

tipper - 5-9-2012 at 07:46 AM

Rob and Fran. What a pleasure to have you in Bahia Asuncion. And yes, Shari, it's so nice to have new folks visit and love it. All that is good for the town. I know Rob paddle boarded and checked out places to kite board. How exciting, something new to promote and do. There is room for friendships and growth and sharing. That's what life is all about.

shari - 5-9-2012 at 07:52 AM

you got that right tipper! ONe of our guests really loved paddling his board out into the canal between the point here and Asuncion Island when the whale parade was passing by! It's a fun place to paddleboard for sure.

What's good for the town is good for all!

DianaT - 5-9-2012 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
you got that right tipper! ONe of our guests really loved paddling his board out into the canal between the point here and Asuncion Island when the whale parade was passing by! It's a fun place to paddleboard for sure.

What's good for the town is good for all!

Yes, things that are good for the town are good for everyone in the town ---

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2012 at 08:17 AM

What's good for the goose is good for the gander (American expression).

Bicho

DianaT - 5-9-2012 at 08:29 AM

Now Bicho, every time you have come out from under your bridge it has only been for one purpose and I have never responded to you -- the feeding of trolls is bad practice. But it is quite old ---

Quote:
Well...well Diana T Is the nasty bug coming back? Last few references to David K and now working up to yet another overkill concerning Ed and Jean who are truly nice people...and who probably don't need your help to promote their business in Bahia Asuncion and most likely will do better without it.

Where did I respond to DavidK's comment? It didn't happen.

Yes, they are perfectly capable people and the fact that you say you know them is quite interesting, quite interesting and revealing.

Overkill? Agreed with the original poster, made the web page a link,
and then answered some questions about the area that someone else asked. But you certainly have the right to see that as overkill.

Quote:

And that has happened? Please go back and find the threads or posts where that has happened? And it won't happen as there is no reason for me to do so. Guess you would like to think that it has happened.

Quote:

I fully agree with that and often say the same thing. So now, please crawl back under your bridge --- your pattern is growing very old.

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2012 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can only relate to what I experienced, and since Ed and Jean were not yet in Asuncion when I was there almost 5 years ago, how could I provide anything about their B&B? It looks terrific on the web site for it!

Rob and Fran did a great job, so why do I need to say anything more then they did?

I was prompted to reply by tiotomasbcs... Asuncion is a nice town EVEN without fishing!

I agree with rts551 on this one, David.

This thread is about www.bahiaasuncionbb.com. Writing a post promoting their competitor was done in pretty bad taste.

Not a bigee. But not good judgment in my opinion.

P.S. Don't bother arguing with me with justifications. I won't answer.

Bajaboy - 5-9-2012 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with rts551 on this one, David.

This thread is about www.bahiaasuncionbb.com. Writing a post promoting their competitor was done in pretty bad taste.

Not a bigee. But not good judgment in my opinion.

P.S. Don't bother arguing with me with justifications. I won't answer.

Why do people assume they are competitors? Seems to me like they might cater to different clientele and thus are not in competition. In fact, maybe they can help one another by promoting overall tourism to the village.

And why do certain people always have to take sides? It really gets old and makes me want to ralph.

Cypress - 5-9-2012 at 12:52 PM

Bajaboy, Go ahead! ralph!

rts551 - 5-9-2012 at 01:11 PM

That's OK. Threads like bring the hens out of the woodwork, and as usual with nothing intelligent to say.

BajaNomad - 5-9-2012 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Seems to me like they might cater to different clientele and thus are not in competition. In fact, maybe they can help one another by promoting overall tourism to the village.

Scarcity versus abundance mindset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Habits_of_Highly_Effe...

[Edited on 5-9-2012 by BajaNomad]

redmesa - 5-9-2012 at 03:55 PM

I think the abundancy principle (more the merrier) is working well in Bahia Asuncion. I foresee a B &B cooperativa in the future :). As in everything economic, there is a tipping point but for now I think everyone is benefiting from ...dare I say it...what Shari and Juan started.

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2012 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Seems to me like they might cater to different clientele and thus are not in competition. In fact, maybe they can help one another by promoting overall tourism to the village.

Scarcity versus abundance mindset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Habits_of_Highly_Effe...

[Edited on 5-9-2012 by BajaNomad]

Doug,

I think Covey is referring to a mindset of dealing with interpersonal relations. That is if someone else wins or is successful in a situation, that means you lose. That is, the dynamics of people making their point. But I don't think it was meant for the world of business.

Otherwise, according to Covey, all the Rockerfellers and Trumps of the world have inferiority complexes.

BajaDixon - 5-9-2012 at 07:12 PM

Damn- lots of static on this thread.

How far from Bahia Ascunsion to Mallarimo? Can you stay pretty close to the water? I also heard there was an abalone canning facility up north. Is that true? We will be traveling on either atv's or utv's

Diana-I'm trying to get your sister Rose involved in a trip down there but I haven't heard back from her. Not sure what's up with her.

woody with a view - 5-9-2012 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
Hey Woody, If you and DK were not only fat but bald as well you could put your heads together and make an a$$ out of yourselves!

if you weren't my favorite tuna lip stretcher i might take exception. but everyone knows me and DK would never get that close to one another. something about the peninsular divide......:light:

DianaT - 5-9-2012 at 07:40 PM

Quote:

How far from Bahia Ascunsion to Mallarimo? Can you stay pretty close to the water? I also heard there was an abalone canning facility up north. Is that true? We will be traveling on either atv's or utv's

Diana-I'm trying to get your sister Rose involved in a trip down there but I haven't heard back from her. Not sure what's up with her.

Hi Bob,
Miles to Malarimo from BA, I don't know, but I do know that there are a couple of different ways to get there. You can take the dirt road from Asuncion to San Jose del Castro and the Tortugas road and then there are roads that lead out to that beach---roads about which we have heard lots of stories! And the stories of the quick sand and lost vehicles are many. You can also, I believe, reach that beach from Tortugas along the coast ---- we have not been there, but may get there yet. I suggest you do a search here as there are people here who have been there. But Malarimo might also bring up lots of threads about the restaurant of the same name in Guerrero Negro. So, you might also ask in a new thread.

My sister is not always very good about checking e-mail when she is in the states. I need to call her and I will tell her to check her e-mail.

I do hope you all make it to our area when we are there. Again, I encourage August just because of the fiesta which is such fun.

wessongroup - 5-9-2012 at 07:40 PM

Gee, I would have just loved some photo's.... :):)

rts551 - 5-9-2012 at 08:19 PM

Quote:

Yes you can take the coast. don't remember the miles but it was between 4-5 gallons in my quad to go from Tortugas up the coast to Malarrimo, out to the dirt hwy and back to Tortugas.. nice trip that you should take. the loop was probably around 100 miles...but I would check it on the map because I don't want you to get stuck out there without gas!!!

The road up the coast is sandy

[img][/img]

woody with a view - 5-9-2012 at 08:35 PM

^^^^lov it!^^^^^

Ateo - 5-9-2012 at 08:45 PM

What a great, funny thread. Hope to make it to asuncion soon....

Bajaboy - 5-9-2012 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
What a great, funny thread. Hope to make it to asuncion soon....

Let us know where you stay....and please don't forget the pictures.

Ateo - 5-9-2012 at 09:09 PM

I'll stay at Shari's and Diana T's. Both sound like my kind of people. And I'll get tons of pics!!!!

[Edited on 5-10-2012 by ateo]

ASUNCION/ MALARRIMO Region on AAA Maps

David K - 5-10-2012 at 11:22 PM

[Edited on 5-11-2012 by David K]

Mallarimo beachcombing

Skipjack Joe - 5-11-2012 at 01:40 AM

Quote:

Graham writes (Into a Desert Place) that the best beachcombing is not at the high tide line but just beyond the first dunes. That's because the really old flotsam that's more valued is a ways back. You may consider that when searching.

David K - 5-11-2012 at 07:45 AM

MALARRIMO :light:

MAP

DianaT - 5-11-2012 at 07:54 AM

Couple of updates

Road all the way into Bahia Asunción is paved. Road from San Jose del Castro to Tortugas is paved and more. They have been working on paving the part from San Jose del Castro to the turn off to Bahia Asunción---- we have not been out there for over a year so I don't know how much is completed, but someone around here will know.

A couple of years ago, a film maker who we met in BA went out to Malarrimo. He went to the fish camp and hired a couple of people to take him out there.

We also have a guide in BA who has taken people out there as a part of his tourist business.

As you can see from the picture Ralph posted, you can make it out there along the beach from Tortugas where the map shows no road.

If you go out to Tortugas, I suggest going out to the point at Punta Eugenia---it is just a beautiful end of the world place to be.

And be careful around here as there is a self-appointed spelling policeman. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 5-11-2012 by DianaT]

shari - 5-11-2012 at 09:08 AM

Diane, could you please share the name & number of the guide who takes people to Malarrimo as part of his tourist business?

shari - 5-12-2012 at 07:11 AM

Diane, a bump to ask again......there is a filmaker here who may want a guide to take him out...could you please tell us who the guide is that you said would do that.

rts551 - 5-12-2012 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Diane, a bump to ask again......there is a filmaker here who may want a guide to take him out...could you please tell us who the guide is that you said would do that.

Wow. What an opportunity. I am surprised you guys don't take them up there.

shari - 5-12-2012 at 07:20 AM

We have taken him out and spent time with him this week...but I would prefer to help spread the business around and use the guide referred to...we are busy with other clients fishing...going to Malarrimo is a full day in a truck. Perhaps you would like to take him?

rts551 - 5-12-2012 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
We have taken him out and spent time with him this week...but I would prefer to help spread the business around and use the guide referred to...we are busy with other clients fishing...going to Malarrimo is a full day in a truck. Perhaps you would like to take him?

More than a full day from Abreojos and I am not in the tourist business. Retirement is to much fun. think I will go fishing ... on my own.

Bajaboy - 5-12-2012 at 11:11 AM

Quote:

She posted a name but it disappeared....someone from Calicos Locos I think

DianaT - 5-12-2012 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Diane, could you please share the name & number of the guide who takes people to Malarrimo as part of his tourist business?

I removed the other post because I wanted to check with Manuel about his current status.

He has been in the sport fishing and tourist business in Bahia Asunción for over 20 years, but there have been some major changes in his life in the last year, and he is also involved in some other ventures now. So while I was quite sure he was, I wanted to verify directly with him that he is continuing with the sport fishing and tourist business. His answer was absolutely yes.

“Kalicos Locos” Sport Fishing and Excursions
Manuel Arce Aguilar
calicoloco@hotmail.com, kalicosloco@yahoo.com,
615 160-0241 - Cell 615- 107-3720

[Edited on 5-13-2012 by DianaT]

shari - 5-12-2012 at 07:53 PM

thanks for that...it's Juan's cousin so I will ask him how much he charges for that trip and if he takes people in his vehicle...as a few people have asked about it as well.