BajaNomad

Concepcion Peninsula Questions

Mula - 5-24-2012 at 05:45 AM

Does anyone know who owns the peninsula. Did not see one Ejido sign. Several for Arroyo Luis / Tres Marias Private Property signs.

Any info on "Corona Bill" or who ever he was. Know a little about Baja Patty, but would surely like to know more.

El Salto is damn near dry as is Patty's spring.

BajaBlanca - 5-24-2012 at 06:18 AM

Mula, I don't know the answer to your corona bill question but there is an excellent book called BAJA LEGENDS by Greg Niemann which really does a great job of identifying people all over Baja.

Mula - 5-24-2012 at 07:56 AM

Thanks, just ordered it now from Amazon.

Pompano - 5-24-2012 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Does anyone know who owns the peninsula. Did not see one Ejido sign. Several for Arroyo Luis / Tres Marias Private Property signs.

Any info on "Corona Bill" or who ever he was. Know a little about Baja Patty, but would surely like to know more.

El Salto is damn near dry as is Patty's spring.

Hola Mula, I knew both those characters fairly well a long time ago. Here's a couple Nomad threads featuring them and the peninsula itself..fun times back in the day.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=8448&page...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=55285#pid6554...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=15462#pid1303...

I recall another Mulege character ,Jens Kobolski, Mulege's ex-Green Angel, satellite dish installer and troulble-shooter. Jens and his wife had a store next to the turnoff for the Ice Plant Road for a few years, then one day was gone...I think he moved north with his wife.

Jens was a guy that most C-Band tv dish owners used to get re-programmed or other such service for these early systems. Jens was a frequent visitor to my Coyote casa.

He surprised on one of his visits by rolling out a large map of the peninsula and then offered me an opportunity to purchase a large part of the peninsula (nearer the south end of the bay), which he said his Mexican wife's family owned. He said the entire property...many square kilometers as I recall..was to be a nature preserve. He quoted me a price on this choice opportunity. My beer came thru my nose as I recall. :rolleyes:

Over the years, the coconut telegraph speaks of other 'chances to buy' into this 'nature preserve'. :rolleyes:

Like always in Baja..Si, como no?

GregN - 5-29-2012 at 08:48 AM

Thanks Bajablanca for recommending my book. And Mula -- I hope you enjoy it.

capt. mike - 5-29-2012 at 10:09 AM

Neiman's books are the best i have read about baja, period.

Trueheart - 5-29-2012 at 10:15 AM

Roger,

Fun story about the "Duke". I've heard several stories about his love for Baja and fishing, and yours is the best yet.

When my hunny and I went to Mazatlan about 7 years ago, we went out with a local long established fishing guide. When we got to his office to begin the day, hanging on the walls were several photos (black & white) of fishing trips he had been out on with John Wayne. So apparently, his love for MX and fishing extended further than just Baja, although most of the stories I've heard do relate to the Punta Chivato, Mulege, Concepcion area.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Mula - 5-29-2012 at 11:18 AM

In the early 70's I built a house in Mazatlan and the whole pool filter system was brought down on the Duke's boat. He spent a lot of time there with his buddies Bob Mitchum, Rudy Diaz and the crew!

What fun times those were!