BajaNomad

Seguro Popular, back by popular demand...

Pages:  1  

EnsenadaDr - 6-2-2012 at 10:40 AM

I am getting inquiries folks again for eligibility for Seguro Popular. It is a great plan if you take chronic medications and also in a pinch for trauma, accidents, and serious illnesses. Again, to get to the US if you decide to go after a serious incident you will have to pay for your ambulances through Dianamed or another insurance plan might cover the expense. But no American should be without it. There is no upfront cost; I did ask my boss in Maneadero about some charges in Baja Sur that some readers here have mentioned, and he said there should be no cost. Any legal resident of Mexico is eligible. Don't leave home without it!!

[Edited on 9-28-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

BajaBlanca - 6-2-2012 at 11:21 AM

I am so glad you published that information.

Is there any difference between the seguro popular and IMSS and ISSTE

I am assuming that as a high school teacher, I qualify for ISSTE and was just wondering if it is OK to sign us up for that or just sign up for the seguro popular.

gracias.

chuckie - 6-2-2012 at 11:31 AM

Where does one go to start this process, and meet with a real person to discuss it?

Mula - 6-2-2012 at 11:48 AM

Once you have your FM3, you go to your local registrar and apply for your CURP card. Then you go to which ever organization you are opting to go with - their administrative office - and apply for their policy. All very simple and fast.

IMSS you will have to have a physical by their Dr. prior to approval of the application. Seguro Popular just accepts you with out any pre quailifcation. The others I do not know about.

However, there is also GNP if you want world wide coverage and it will run 2,500 USD to 3,500 USD - depending on age, health, etc.

chippy - 6-2-2012 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

I am assuming that as a high school teacher, I qualify for ISSTE and was just wondering if it is OK to sign us up for that or just sign up for the seguro popular.

gracias.

My wife teaches at the Catholic school and gets IMSS for the whole family.

DENNIS - 6-2-2012 at 12:06 PM

Thanks to all these institutions, body-bags are high on the list of Mexico's GDP, but what the hell.....can't beat free.

shari - 6-2-2012 at 12:34 PM

Blanca...you should ask the Principle about your health insurance...if you can get the IMSS, it's better than Seguro Popular...better hospitals. As I recall, the closest hospital that accepts seguro popular is in Sta.Rosalia...here and GN are IMSS facilities.

chuckie - 6-2-2012 at 01:01 PM

Dennis, Is there any meaning to what you said? Or just wind?

DENNIS - 6-2-2012 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Dennis, Is there any meaning to what you said? Or just wind?

I've never said anything without meaning in my entire life. :o

chippy - 6-2-2012 at 01:28 PM

I´m pretty sure its just wind with D. IMSS been great for us the past 10 yrs. I only have Kaiser in Cali to compare it to and IMSS is a hell of alot better. Oh yea and (not that we need it) there is more english speaking doctors at IMSS than there was at Kaiser.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Working and getting IMSS..

EnsenadaDr - 6-2-2012 at 02:07 PM

Blanca,

I am no lawyer but from what I have heard, legally all jobs should carry insurance for their workers. I don't know if this covers Americans, I assume you are American. But why not sign up for Seguro Popular if you are?
Quote:

gracias.

A bird in the hand...

EnsenadaDr - 6-2-2012 at 02:12 PM

Better to have some insurance down here than none at all, sure you probably could pay for an ambulance to the Private Hospitals, like Velmar or Cardiomed, but along with that comes a prepaid stay in ICU or whatever you need done and a beginning price tag of $20,000 American. Living in Mexico has its benefits, but fast, reliable emergency transportation on the outskirts of town are not one of them. I urge everyone to buy their own ACD, (Advanced Cardiac Defibrillators) or at least a group of close neighbors who purchase and then can share it.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Thanks to all these institutions, body-bags are high on the list of Mexico's GDP, but what the hell.....can't beat free.

Pescador - 6-3-2012 at 07:08 AM

Seguro Popular is not necessarily free. I paid about $100 US last year for my policy and most of the norteamericanos who have gotten their coverage from the hospital in Santa Rosalia ended up paying something.

IMSS works well, but they do underwriting so you may be ineligible if you are taking any meds. Again, this seems to depend on the office.

Also, there seems to be some significant differences between Baja California and Baja California Sur even though these are all national programs.

Mula - 6-3-2012 at 07:31 AM

Cuidad Constitucion Seguro Popular Administration Office did not charge 5 of us for our policies in March when we got them.

Interesting.

And we have used the services and not been charged a thing for either pills or service.

BajaBlanca - 6-3-2012 at 11:58 AM

doctora de Ensenada... soy mexicana and I teach English aqui en la bocana a los alumnos del cecyte y de la secundaria... pura vida :yes:

thanks both shari and doctora for giving advice

pescador - I think the policy has change quite recently and that now there is NO charge.

DavidE - 6-3-2012 at 06:23 PM

From painful experience I can tell you that folks with limited income are charged less than those who make progressively higher income. My pain came from my injury. Relief came when the Seguro Popular billing office came to recognize that and charged me 25% of it's original bill. Included almost three hours on an operating table.

Hook - 6-5-2012 at 08:53 AM

Let's describe a situation that may be rather common among ex-pats and tell me what Seguro Popular would best be used for.

Many people I know over here have a world wide coverage plan with a very high deductible. The idea is that you pay for out of pocket care up to the 5000.00US deductible. Coverage in the US is not included, except in the case of emergency care while you are in the US. But there are many fine hospitals in Mexico, notwithstanding Dennis' bias.:lol:

Would it then make sense to use Seguro Popular for anything they cover up to the 5000.00 deductible? I am kinda assuming that the really good, larger, private hospitals in Mexico (which are often the best) probably wont accept S.P. payment amounts. Yes or no?

Does S.P. cover meds?

Mula - 6-5-2012 at 09:00 AM

We get meds with it . . . . Seguro Popular - - - free at their hospitals/clinics.

Deductible

EnsenadaDr - 6-5-2012 at 09:07 AM

Here's my take on this. If you have an emergency, such as heart attack or stroke, you will be more likely to be treated with Seguro Popular at the closest location, which is important as well, as time is of the essence. I encourage anyone to apply for Seguro Popular. It is better than nothing. However, the deductible is another thing. It is something you pay. So if you are trying to use the Seguro Popular for the $5000 deductible, forget about it. You have not paid that amount out of pocket, so it will not satisfy the deductible requirement. Seguro Popular cannot be used at the Private Mexican Hospitals, and it does cover meds, but you have to go to the designated clinics for an office visit to get them.

[Edited on 6-5-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

Bajatripper - 6-5-2012 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Cuidad Constitucion Seguro Popular Administration Office did not charge 5 of us for our policies in March when we got them.

Interesting.

And we have used the services and not been charged a thing for either pills or service.

The first two years we had Seguro Popular, we had to pay around 800 pesos the first year and around 500 the next. The last two years have been free, although it wasn't clear why.

They do seem to have a problem stocking meds, but at these prices, I certainly have never felt entitled to complain. I figure a trip to the pharmacy will more than likely be part of whatever treatment is required.

Good post, EnsenadaDr.

MitchMan - 6-5-2012 at 10:05 AM

Does anyone know if the big new 'Salvatierra" hospital in La Paz is a private or public hospital?

comitan - 6-5-2012 at 10:10 AM

Public!

Seguro Popular vs. Seguro Social

EnsenadaDr - 6-5-2012 at 10:43 AM

I find it hard to believe Seguro Popular is charging for anything. Are you sure you aren't talking about Seguro Social or IMSS? They charge an annual fee.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

Interesting.

The first two years we had Seguro Popular, we had to pay around 800 pesos the first year and around 500 the next. The last two years have been free, although it wasn't clear why.

They do seem to have a problem stocking meds, but at these prices, I certainly have never felt entitled to complain. I figure a trip to the pharmacy will more than likely be part of whatever treatment is required.

Good post, EnsenadaDr.

Hook - 6-5-2012 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Here's my take on this. If you have an emergency, such as heart attack or stroke, you will be more likely to be treated with Seguro Popular at the closest location, which is important as well, as time is of the essence. I encourage anyone to apply for Seguro Popular. It is better than nothing. However, the deductible is another thing. It is something you pay. So if you are trying to use the Seguro Popular for the $5000 deductible, forget about it. You have not paid that amount out of pocket, so it will not satisfy the deductible requirement. Seguro Popular cannot be used at the Private Mexican Hospitals, and it does cover meds, but you have to go to the designated clinics for an office visit to get them.

No, I am not trying to charge Seguro Popular for the 5K deductible.

I am trying to allow for choosing which coverage I use if I am in need of medical care. If the same hospital accepts both and the expected charges are below 5K, then I would hope to use S.P. Does that not make sense?

Deductible

EnsenadaDr - 6-5-2012 at 06:56 PM

Usually, Seguro Popular hospitals are public government funded hospitals and not the same as far as "plusher" appearance of private hospitals. But, call your insurance provider and ask them that question. Hopefully, you can get back to us and let us know. What insurance do you have?
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

No, I am not trying to charge Seguro Popular for the 5K deductible.

I am trying to allow for choosing which coverage I use if I am in need of medical care. If the same hospital accepts both and the expected charges are below 5K, then I would hope to use S.P. Does that not make sense?

Pescador - 6-7-2012 at 01:36 PM

Okay, I am going to write this off as different offices, but I went in today to renew my Seguor Popular in the office in Santa Rosalia and YES, there is still a charge for the service. I asked why Loreto and Ensenada were not doing a charge and the director looked a little dumbfounded and said he did not know but would make a few phone calls. It is not a lot of money and I seriously doubt that I will use the coverage much anyhow, but at $1143 pesos for the year, one must wonder why the discrepency.
I did get a free screening today while doing the application since it is health week here in our hospital.

Why the charge??

EnsenadaDr - 6-7-2012 at 01:39 PM

You know what, I will go into the Maneadero office tomorrow morning and ask about it...I am curious myself...I will report back tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Okay, I am going to write this off as different offices, but I went in today to renew my Seguor Popular in the office in Santa Rosalia and YES, there is still a charge for the service. I asked why Loreto and Ensenada were not doing a charge and the director looked a little dumbfounded and said he did not know but would make a few phone calls. It is not a lot of money and I seriously doubt that I will use the coverage much anyhow, but at $1143 pesos for the year, one must wonder why the discrepency.
I did get a free screening today while doing the application since it is health week here in our hospital.

DENNIS - 6-7-2012 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
it is health week here in our hospital.

What are the rest of the weeks in your hospital?? :?:

Hi Blanca...

EnsenadaDr - 6-7-2012 at 01:41 PM

Hi Blanca,
By the way thank you for your very kind words off board. I take Metformina myself and I have found it to be just as good as the trade name Glucophage....and free of charge through Seguro Popular.
Quote:
doctora de Ensenada... soy mexicana and I teach English aqui en la bocana a los alumnos del cecyte y de la secundaria... pura vida :yes:

thanks both shari and doctora for giving advice

pescador - I think the policy has change quite recently and that now there is NO charge.

bacquito - 6-8-2012 at 01:20 PM

I need to update my fm2 card soon. I notice that it does not include a CURP number. Is this an error by Immigration?
Also I would like to enroll in Seguor Popular. I live in the south end of Ensenada and close to the hospital. Where do I enroll-Maneadero?

Enrolling in Seguro Popular

EnsenadaDr - 6-8-2012 at 01:53 PM

Yes, when you enter the clinic you go to the left to a casa movil (trailer) or there is a window when you walk in the door on your left. Opens at 8 am. I have heard from several people that their FM2 doesn't include a curp number. But I don't think that will stop you from getting Seguro Popular, as long as you have an FM2.
Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
I need to update my fm2 card soon. I notice that it does not include a CURP number. Is this an error by Immigration?
Also I would like to enroll in Seguor Popular. I live in the south end of Ensenada and close to the hospital. Where do I enroll-Maneadero?

[Edited on 6-8-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

BajaBlanca - 6-8-2012 at 09:09 PM

doctora, I notice that your mood talks about moving on and letting chapters go by.

I was watching some movie the other day and one actor said:

it isn't even that we are not on the same page, we're not even reading the same book !!

I thought that was a good line.

absolutely nothing to do with seguro popular or seguro social, sorry folks.

bacquito - 6-9-2012 at 07:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, when you enter the clinic you go to the left to a casa movil (trailer) or there is a window when you walk in the door on your left. Opens at 8 am. I have heard from several people that their FM2 doesn't include a curp number. But I don't think that will stop you from getting Seguro Popular, as long as you have an FM2.
Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito

[Edited on 6-8-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

Thank you, good article!

Bajatripper - 6-9-2012 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
I find it hard to believe Seguro Popular is charging for anything. Are you sure you aren't talking about Seguro Social or IMSS? They charge an annual fee.
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting.

Good post, EnsenadaDr.

As I said, for the last two years, we haven't had to pay anything. HOWEVER, the two previous years--obviously, you weren't involved with the program back then--they did most definitely charge for their coverage. But don't take my word for it, do some investigating if you must.

You have a point there...

EnsenadaDr - 6-9-2012 at 07:52 PM

I wasn't involved in this a few years back, so I will take your word for it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting.

Good post, EnsenadaDr.

As I said, for the last two years, we haven't had to pay anything. HOWEVER, the two previous years--obviously, you weren't involved with the program back then--they did most definitely charge for their coverage. But don't take my word for it, do some investigating if you must.

Seguro Social (IMSS), Seguro Popular, ISSTE and ISSTECALI

prorader - 6-18-2012 at 04:08 PM

OK, Seguro Popular is Mexico's Universal Health Care Program, anyone who lives in Mexico can join. If you are under 60 and own a home you may have to pay a small annual fee. My wife is Mexican and 46, she is covered, I am 65, retired and rent I am covered. I believe there are 32 clinics in Ensenada and 1 public hospital. Everthing starts with the clinic, most nurses do not speak english some Doctors do. The Doctor is the key he is the only one who can refer you to the hospital and special care. The clinics that I have used had 1 Doctor and 2 Nurses. The clincs have and average supply of medicine, NO psyco drugs. I now have had 2 operations under this program, in both cases well done and professional. Most public Hospitals in Mexico are teaching Hospitals, plain jane, 6 person wards, but clean and professional staff. What most people do not understand is that Mexico medical professionals give service to the public, maybe they get a pension after 20 years, but a lot of the top Doctors in Mexico work 2 days a week at the public Hospitals. This is long will come back with the operations

Seguro Social (IMSS), Seguro Popular, ISSTE and ISSTECALI

prorader - 6-18-2012 at 04:31 PM

OK now to my operations. The first and most serious was from an accident where I fractured 4 vertebreas in my back. The operation was done in the public Hospital in Guadalajara. The Nuro surgeon was ranked as in the top 5 in Mexico, remember 2 days a week in a public Hospital. His approach was that I was going to need a Titanium plate with 4 Titanium screws in my neck and in my back 3 more screws. The screw alone was $3,000.00 US the plate was much more. Don't have that kind of money. He agreed to host a seminar and the company provided the equipment for free. It was a 2 hour operation that took 6 hours. I spent a total of 20 days in the Hospital, which you must have a provider with you to take care of you. My wife slept on the floor next to my bed for 20 days. Now this was free no cost but, nothing is free, I had to pay for an MRI and a Catscan. I won, a great Doctor, a good clean and professional Hospital and the cost was about $75.00 US
The 2nd operation was in another public Hospital, Gall Bladder removal, 6 days 6 person ward, the Doctor was one of the top Internal Medicine Doctors in Mexico, operation, 6 days in the Hospital 4 follow up visits. I didn't spend 1 peso. The moral of this story free isn't always free, the public Hospital have the equipment, maybe this a Gringo thing but they want you to go out side of the Hospital to pay for blood, MRI, Catscans. Check out the public Hospital in your area and find out what stuff they have don't take any BS

The most important thing is think Public Hospital, sub par care, bad Doctors, not true, the big boys play there

DavidE - 6-18-2012 at 04:36 PM

Yeah, the titanium plate. I have an eleven inch job with seven screws in my arm. Two temporary stainless steel pins cost 1,300 pesos until the plate went in. They wanted to do a bone graft in February. It was a pretty bad break.

prorader - 6-18-2012 at 06:14 PM

We are lucky, the screws where $3,000.00 x 7 plus the plate $7,000.00 that is in Mexico. The program has it's plus and minus. I think IMSS is about done

weebray - 7-12-2012 at 03:07 PM

My wife and I just signed up in La Paz for Seguro Popular a week ago. I am over 65 and my wife is under 60. We paid 2074.97 pesos for 12 months of coverage. We forgot to ask but can we go to our regular Dr. and have his prescripton filled at the SP clinic for free? If required to go to the clinic will the Dr. prescribe the med's you are currently taking? Saludos, Bobelon

EnsenadaDr - 7-12-2012 at 06:41 PM

I wonder why they are charging in Baja California Sur....and not here in Baja California Norte. No, you cannot go a another doctor and then come to Seguro Popular to fill your prescriptions. Usually, within reason, the clinic will give the same meds. The problem is if they aren't available in the system.

Seguro Popular, Back by Popular Demand

EnsenadaDr - 9-28-2012 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
I am getting inquiries folks again for eligibility for Seguro Popular. It is a great plan if you take chronic medications and also in a pinch for trauma, accidents, and serious illnesses. Again, to get to the US if you decide to go after a serious incident you will have to pay for your ambulances through Dianamed or another insurance plan might cover the expense. But no American should be without it. There is no upfront cost; I did ask my boss in Maneadero about some charges in Baja Sur that some readers here have mentioned, and he said there should be no cost. Any legal resident of Mexico is eligible. Don't leave home without it!!

[Edited on 9-28-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

MsTerieus - 10-4-2012 at 08:38 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference, in Baja California (norte), between IMSS and Seguro Popular, in terms of availability, costs and coverage? (Ensenada( Dr. has tried to explain it to me, but I am still fuzzy, especially about IMSS.) Thanks!

Hook - 10-4-2012 at 08:53 PM

I dont know the differences, but in our area, you dont want to go to IMSS for anything more serious than a bee sting. :lol:

I'm not sure that the chances of catching something in an IMSS hospital arent greater than getting decent treatment for what you came in for. The one is Guaymas is pretty creepy. We have visited Mexican friends and have a hard time making a return visit.

Get some decent insurance, folks.

EnsenadaDr - 10-4-2012 at 10:17 PM

IMSS is Instituto Mexicano Seguro Social..basically it is a health care system for workers in the public sectors of Mexico. From what I understand, all employers must pay for health insurance for their employees. ISSTE is for state workers of Mexico and ISSTECALI is for Federal workers. The Military Hospital is for Mexican Military personnel, active and retired. Seguro Popular is to fill in the cracks for all legal residents of Mexico (and not so legal). In other words, I have seen people show up at clinics in Mexico for Seguro Popular and they had no paperwork, and I was told by my boss to treat the people free of charge anyway. Anyone, including Americans can pay around $200 a year to join IMSS, and can be treated at any of the other facilities for a fee. Seguro Popular is free in Ensenada and will cover your expenses at designated Hospitals for emergencies and serious issues, and in Ensenada, it is Hospital General Ensenada.

EnsenadaDr - 10-4-2012 at 10:23 PM

MsTerieus, I know you sing the praises of a doctor in Ensenada that works during the day in IMSS and has his private practice in Ensenada in a very nice clinic. But Hook is completely on target, IMSS is a union based employee system so any fringe government funding goes in the employee's pocket; IMSS is the best paying medical facility in Mexico, so guess what happens for the upkeep pf the facilities and equipment, you got it, CREEPY in Ensenada and creepy it seems, in Sonora accordiing to Hook. Seguro Popular just bought a brand new mammogram scanner state of the art for Ensenada General Hospital; Seguro Popular facilities are a heck of alot nicer and the equipment newer.

MsTerieus - 10-5-2012 at 01:24 PM

Thank you for the additional information, Doctora!

MsTerieus - 10-5-2012 at 01:48 PM

A couple more questions, now that I have done what I should have earlier - searched this forum for other posts on the same topic). 1) Doctora, you say the facility/ies of S.P. are better than those of IMSS, and (I gather) that IMSS pays their staff better. Might that not translate to better doctors and nurses at IMSS, even if the facilities are not as good? 2) I think I read that S.P. is intended to be a "catch-all" for everyone, even the poorest, in MX. Is there anybody on this forum, in Baja California, who has IMSS and can comment on his/her actual experiences in obtaining health care from that agency?

DENNIS - 10-5-2012 at 01:56 PM

IMSS is Social Security and I wasn't aware that it was available to foreigeners not legally in the work force.

bajaguy - 10-5-2012 at 02:32 PM

If it was an "Immediate Emergency Situation" and an individual went to the closest facility....IMSS; ISSTE; ISSTECALI; The Military Hospital or Seguro Popular.......would that individual receive immediate life saving emergency care???

DaliDali - 10-5-2012 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
IMSS is Social Security and I wasn't aware that it was available to foreigeners not legally in the work force.

It is available to any foreigner who wants to pony up the annual premiums, regardless of working or not.

I know...I had IMSS health coverage for several years.

DENNIS - 10-5-2012 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
If it was an "Immediate Emergency Situation" and an individual went to the closest facility....IMSS; ISSTE; ISSTECALI; The Military Hospital or Seguro Popular.......would that individual receive immediate life saving emergency care???

Probably enough to stabilize a patient....at least.. I've been to ISSTECALI and the Military hospital. Both are open to the public.

DENNIS - 10-5-2012 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
It is available to any foreigner who wants to pony up the annual premiums, regardless of working or not.

I know...I had IMSS health coverage for several years.

Thanks. I didn't know.
Mas o menos, how much was your premium?

DaliDali - 10-5-2012 at 02:45 PM

Close to 3000 pesos a year and that was over 2 years ago.

DENNIS - 10-5-2012 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Close to 3000 pesos a year and that was over 2 years ago.

Not bad....especially that far south of the border. Some peace of mind anyway.

EnsenadaDr - 10-6-2012 at 07:08 AM

Like I said, Seguro Popular is free, and in my opinion, at least in Ensenada, has less of a wait and the facilities and equipment are newer and kept up better. I know from comments my patients made about when they had IMSS is that they needed to line up at 3 am for an appointment that morning.

[Edited on 10-6-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

EnsenadaDr - 10-6-2012 at 07:17 AM

I remember a few emergencies that came into IMSS, and the patients were treated minimally, and I mean minimally. In ISSTECALI and ISSTE, I think because of the lesser patient load, you would be given more attention. Hospital General Ensenada (Seguro Popular) is very busy and would treat you but minimally as well. Militar sent a stroke victim on her way to the US, they don't do any workups in house, and refer all non Military to private, local or the US, if you are American. Why play Mexican Roulette with the insurance? Next time you are in town go into a Seguro Popular office, in Ensenada it's at 14 and Ruiz, and in Maneadero, at the clinic. I'm sure the next time someone has a heart attack or stroke they don't want to see if they get good attention or not, of course there are always the private hospitals that will take a few thousand or more dollars off your credit card immediately upon arrival.
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

DavidE - 10-7-2012 at 08:42 AM

"Minimally" is so much better than a group of people standing around trying to remember what they learned in first-aid class fifteen years ago.

MsTerieus - 10-7-2012 at 09:37 AM

Ensenada Dra: Any thoughts/opinions on quality of staff at IMSS vs. S.P.? It seems to me that if IMSS pays better, that's where one would find the better doctors. I have gleaned that most docs around Ensenada work part time for IMSS. I don't know who works for S.P.

Also, with regard to these facilities "sending [patients] on to the States," what happens if the patient does not want to go to the States, e.g., because he has no coverage there? Would the facility keep him, then, rather than sending him elsewhere?

[Edited on 10-7-2012 by MsTerieus]

Quality of Physicians

EnsenadaDr - 10-7-2012 at 10:01 AM

I would say that the quality of physicians at IMSS are generally excellent, since most new graduates are lured there for the money and the competition is high. Most doctors work two jobs in Mexico, one at their government run facility, which would ensure them a pension after 30 years, and the other to lure in private pay patients which obviously pay them more per visit. Most docs do NOT work part time at IMSS, many work at ISSTE, ISSTECALI, Military Hospital and Seguro Popular. Many of my patients at Seguro Popular by the way came there because they had lost their jobs and could not continue to make the payments to keep their IMSS insurance. No one is ever forced to go to the US, though if you have a serious illness, and have coverage there, you might want to consider it. There are no extended care facilities that are covered by the Mexican government, so if you are disabled from a stroke and need rehab, you are on your own. Family takes care of you after the discharge. The hospitals, especially IMSS are so overloaded that they encourage discharge from the hospital quickly, and many times before someone is ready to leave.
Quote:
Originally posted by MsTerieus
Ensenada Dra: Any thoughts/opinions on quality of staff at IMSS vs. S.P.? It seems to me that if IMSS pays better, that's where one would find the better doctors. I have gleaned that most docs around Ensenada work part time for IMSS. I don't know who works for S.P.

Also, with regard to these facilities "sending [patients] on to the States," what happens if the patient does not want to go to the States, e.g., because he has no coverage there? Would the facility keep him, then, rather than sending him elsewhere?

[Edited on 10-7-2012 by MsTerieus]

EnsenadaDr - 10-7-2012 at 10:07 AM

Not so sure about that one, David!! One could be sitting around and waiting rather than on their way to the US or a private pay hospital getting immediate treatment.
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
"Minimally" is so much better than a group of people standing around trying to remember what they learned in first-aid class fifteen years ago.

It's all relative...

EnsenadaDr - 10-7-2012 at 10:12 AM

When I am talking about good wages for Doctors in Mexico, I am talking around $24,000 a year. So at this point, it would pay for an American to work at a lower paying clerical job in the US rather than work as a physician in Mexico...just sayin'...the workload in these places in very, very heavy and alot of red political tape. Not to mention the depressing surroundings.

[Edited on 10-7-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

MsTerieus - 10-7-2012 at 12:12 PM

Thanks again, Doc. Very helpful!

EnsenadaDr - 10-7-2012 at 12:35 PM

You are very welcome!!

durrelllrobert - 10-7-2012 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Why play Mexican Roulette with the insurance? Next time you are in town go into a Seguro Popular office, in Ensenada it's at 14 and Ruiz, and in Maneadero, at the clinic.

Please note that the Seguru Popular office in Maneadero is now in a beat up micro bus in the parking area way behind the clinc.

Regardless of whether you go there or to Ensenada be prepared to spend around 2 hours there to get enrolled. The first thing you must do is have COPIES of both sides of your FM2/3 (with a CURP number on it), your birth certificate and a phone or electric bill that shows your place of residence AND THAT IS NOT MORE THAN 3 MONTHS OLD.

When you arrive you need to go to the nurse in attendance (same parking lot as bus in Maneadero) and get your vital signs taken. She then gives you the paperwork to take to the bus where you must wait in line outside until everone in front of you has been registered.

EnsenadaDr - 10-7-2012 at 08:55 PM

Better than shelling out big bucks for coverage, don't you think, Bob?

durrelllrobert - 10-8-2012 at 08:11 AM

Quote:

YEP! Wonder if it is any good while you're visiting on the mainland?

Mulegena - 10-8-2012 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not...remember the old saying, "What happens in Mexico stays in Mexico". You can always pay for one of those fancy extended coverage plans at a few thousand dollars a year that many have talked about on Nomads, though. I think you are trying to squeeze a couple of glasses of orange juice out of one orange, Bob. Just not going to happen.

[Edited on 10-8-2012 by EnsenadaDr]
Sorry, a bit confused here.
Are we to understand that Seguro Popular is not honored outside the municipality or Mexican state in which it was issued or in which the recipient resides?

DENNIS - 10-8-2012 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I just got a quote from Puerto Vallarta broker for my family of four at an annual cost of $35,410.57MXN.
It seems pretty comprehensive without a huge deductible and fits well within my medical budget.

$2750 dollars per year sounds like a lot to me.

EnsenadaDr - 10-8-2012 at 12:35 PM

I think you asked that question before Blanca. If you go up to the top of the thread, I have explained the difference now at least twice. And I believe you answered the question a few months back saying you had your own insurance, am I correct? If you work for a school here in Mexico, they should have their own insurance plan. If it is a state school, they probably have ISSTE. Let us know!!!
Quote:

gracias.

EnsenadaDr - 10-8-2012 at 12:37 PM

You have GOT to be kidding!!
Quote:
Originally posted by chippy
I´m pretty sure its just wind with D. IMSS been great for us the past 10 yrs. I only have Kaiser in Cali to compare it to and IMSS is a hell of alot better. Oh yea and (not that we need it) there is more english speaking doctors at IMSS than there was at Kaiser.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

A THOUSAND apologies!!!

EnsenadaDr - 10-8-2012 at 12:40 PM

OK I backed up here a little, for some reason earlier, and before my coffee, I thought you stated mainland as meaning the U.S. Yes, ABSOLUTELY the Seguro Popular carries over from state to state and that includes mainland Mexico. Not outside of Mexico, however.
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

YEP! Wonder if it is any good while you're visiting on the mainland?

DENNIS - 10-8-2012 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Try around $14,000 on this side of the border for that same family and not a huge difference in coverage.
In some ways the Mexican policy has better coverage.

When you start making the comparisons, Frank, you have to include everything variable such as quality of care. That's where the reasoning starts to disintegrate.
I know it's expensive in the states and less so here, but there's more to the equation.

EnsenadaDr - 10-8-2012 at 01:12 PM

I have to agree with Dennis. The rehab he received in the States was nothing short of miraculous and amazing compared to what he would have received in Mexico, even with a very determined and self-motivated patient.

No medical plan in Mexico yet?

EnsenadaDr - 1-27-2013 at 10:18 AM

After my post a few months back, I have given all of you the chance from recuperation from the holidays. Now, how many of you are STILL lacking any type of medical coverage in Mexico? Sorry for the mantra folks, but if you need any type of assistance in doing so, I will be glad to advise...and as always, medical coverage in Mexico is free or for a very nominal cost.

SEGURO POPULAR...remember the name.

Friendly reminder...

EnsenadaDr - 2-7-2013 at 09:31 AM

I got another inquiry today about a friend wanting to sign up for Seguro Popular. This is good news!! How many of you are still not signed up? Do you have a viable medical emergency coverage plan? I am hearing of people with fixed incomes borrowing money to go to the private hospitals in Ensenada...and borrowing from a friend who couldn't celebrate Christmas because she gave all her money to him.

Let's not wait untll we are in an emergency situation with no money to pay an ambulance to the border or a huge private hospital medical bill!

Excellent service

durrelllrobert - 2-7-2013 at 06:49 PM

My wife has been going to either the sattelite office in Cantu or the Urgencia office in Maneadero for the past 2 months with a breathing problem that became pnuemonia.

After signing in at either place she seems to get preferential service as a non-Spanish speaking patient. They call her before others in the waiting room to see the English speaking doctor (always one at both facilities).

Cantu, which is closest to our home in Punta Banda, offers very basic service, wrtten Rx + minor dental work.

At Manedero she had many nebulizer treatments and x-rays. They also made her an appointment with the Pulminary Specialist at the General Hospital in Ensenada.

EVERYTHING IS FREE INCLUDING THE PERSCRIPTION MEDICATION.

San Felipe clinic?

neilm81301 - 3-5-2013 at 11:42 AM

Is there an S.Popular clinic in S.F.?
Neil

EnsenadaDr - 3-5-2013 at 11:46 AM

There is a Centro de Salud in San Felipe. Check with them but I believe they take Seguro Popular.
Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
Is there an S.Popular clinic in S.F.?
Neil

Hook - 3-5-2013 at 12:21 PM

We are in the midst of renewing our health insurance policy. It is a high deductible policy, 5k dollars, that is catastrophic coverage. It is through Best Doctors. We have also had plans through Bupa. These are worldwide plans for persons living outside the US. You can get treated in the US IF you are traveling there but it is not intended for simply going to the US for treatment.

But it seems like Seguro Popular might be a good thing to have for needs below 5k.

So, where are we at in whether there is a charge for Popular? I see conflicting info.

What are the annual limits or deductibles?

Pescador - 3-5-2013 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
We are in the midst of renewing our health insurance policy. It is a high deductible policy, 5k dollars, that is catastrophic coverage. It is through Best Doctors. We have also had plans through Bupa. These are worldwide plans for persons living outside the US. You can get treated in the US IF you are traveling there but it is not intended for simply going to the US for treatment.

But it seems like Seguro Popular might be a good thing to have for needs below 5k.

So, where are we at in whether there is a charge for Popular? I see conflicting info.

What are the annual limits or deductibles?

Hook, it was set up so that the average person in Mexico who did not have coverage would have some type of coverage. It does a good job of covering lab and exams, not so good with surgeries and more serious treatments. Like the old days where they covered everyone in the US but the poor people went to county hospitals and clinics. Here, they have to provide the coverage, but you can sit a long time waiting for a doctor to see you and then it is somewhat difficult to get referrals to a specialist.

Google the Seguros Popular website and you can find the Guaymas office. They are supposed to do a financial intake and a health intake but some offices like Ensenada just do away with that and sign up everyone for free. It was designed to be done on a sliding scale according to your income. We have people in Santa Rosalia who pay nothing and some who pay the max amount. Until you visit your office, you will have no idea because there is a wide difference in how the various offices are run.

Deductibles and annual coverage is not a consideration because some things are simply not covered. You must go to a hospital that is affiliated with your office. For example, if I get sick, I have to go to Santa Rosalia and if the doctor decides to make a referral to La Paz then it is up to him or her to do that. I had a good friend who got Nitrogen Narcosis from diving and could not get a referral to the decompression chamber in Asuncion, so we just had a fund raiser and paid for it. If you wanted to go to Hermosillo, you would need to go there first and claim that you got sick while traveling through.

The website is a well developed site and answers most questions and will probably be a better source for more accurate information that you will get here due to individual perceptions of what the program entails. I have helped a large number of my friends get signed up and work with the services but this is typical of things in Mexico where it varies according to location.

Mula - 3-6-2013 at 06:01 AM

What we do with our Seguro Popular in Lopez Mateos on Mag. Bay:

If we have something the local clinic can not address, we get a referral for a specialist in Constitucion or LaPaz - and that gets us in the door at the bigger medical facilities in Baja for specific larger problems.

EnsenadaDr - 3-6-2013 at 06:17 AM

The website is a well developed site and answers most questions and will probably be a better source for more accurate information that you will get here due to individual perceptions of what the program entails. - (Comment by Pescador).

Pescador, you just gave your opinion, and I am entitled to give mine as I worked for Seguro Popular for a year as a clinic physician. May I say that the inconsistencies vary from doctor to doctor and if you don't get what you want or need you must return for a second opinion, just like in the US. I had patients come to me because of months of no resolution of their problem where I promptly referred them and at times re-referred them to the appropriate specialists until they got the satisfaction they wanted and/or needed. I believe first hand information is accurate, now don't you? And I don't believe Ensenada would be doing something that wasn't accepted by the higher ups, and risk losing their jobs.

Hook - 3-6-2013 at 06:26 AM

Jim, thanks for all that good info on SP. I think I'll just stick to my existing plan and pay the piper for the small stuff. It's not like we cant afford it.

In checking with the specialists we have used in the past, they dont recommend going to the places that will take Seguro Popular for anything but the most basic ailments. But maybe they wouldnt. Still, they havent paid them through insurance so they arent dissing SP cause they know they wont pay as much as they expect. Our specialists realize the type of insurance we carry and that we have to pay them out of pocket. Just not good facilities, in their opinion. They specifically mentioned the State Hospital of Sonora in Hermosillo.

I am confused as to why both Seguro Popular and IMSS heath care exist? Arent they basically the same thing? The IMSS facilities over here are scary!

Pescador - 3-6-2013 at 08:29 AM

No, IMSS was the government employee program and they decided it made sense to sell coverage to those who did not have it. It is your worst case scenario of HMO like conditions where the doctors, staff, and facility are owned and operated by the government. A lot of the doctors are fulfilling their responsibility before going out into practice. It is run very much like Public Health services that I encountered when I was a teacher on the Indian Reservation.

Seguros has contracts with the general hospital in any given area or the health clinics in the smaller towns and villages. I have heard of people paying a little extra when they see the doctor to get better referrals. That seems to become kind of standard practice where the government puts in a program that they think will be adequate for the people but rely on the social conscience of the medical people who get paid a pittance for the people they see. If they do not take in enough money, especially with all of the free coverage, then obviously they do not have enough money to correctly fund the utilization of the program.

I still think it is a great program but my biggest fear is that people will come to equate it with coverage they have had in the United States. It obviously does not cover the same things as Medicare, which is a government run and administered coverage.

Seguro Insurance

Bill Collector - 3-6-2013 at 11:32 AM

Ensenada Dr
Just want to say that because of you almost 75% of Americans/Candians here in Los Barriles/Buena Vista BCS have gotten Seguro Insurance. I've used it twice now with postive results each time. We also carry private Mexican Insurance, we just paid the premium its $2,500 US dollars a year for one person with a $1,500 US dollar deductabe.
Thanks again for all the great information you give out. Always positive

EnsenadaDr - 3-6-2013 at 12:37 PM

Thanks so much. I am here to help, and only help.

Nan&D - 4-18-2013 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for all this Ensenadadr!
We live in Asuncion where the only hospital is IMSS. Should we apply for both Seguro Popular and IMSS?
Nan

EnsenadaDr - 4-18-2013 at 10:42 AM

Well, if the closest hospital is IMSS, and there are no other facilities around, then I would apply just for IMSS for now. IMSS is going to cost you a few hundred dollars a year, and from what I understand, has an exclusion policy on emergency services up to the first year, but if it's the only game in town, I would go for it. Do they have a private hospital around there? Let us know if you do sign up as to what the first year exclusions are and how much it costs to join. There are some other private insurance programs available, but they are not cheap. In fact, IMSS will actually turn you away if you don't have their insurance unless it is a life or death situation, but will promptly get you out of their hospital as they did with Ron Hoff and his wife who were initially treated by them in San Quintin.

Nan&D - 4-18-2013 at 11:16 AM

I believe it's a private hospital for the co-ops. Non co-op people pay for visits. Also we have gone to the hospital in the past for an emergency, and just given a donation. Is IMSS accepted at Seguro Popular hospitals? I will let you know how this evolves, and thanks again. N

EnsenadaDr - 4-18-2013 at 11:31 AM

What do you mean by co-ops? What is the name of the co-ops hospital? No, Seguro Popular is not accepted by IMSS. Like I said, Mexico has an observance of the "EMTALA" law as in the US, that is critical patients must be stabilized before transport to their accepting facility, but rest assured they will get you out of there as soon as you are stabilized, to your insurance covered facility.

Nan&D - 4-18-2013 at 11:45 AM

The fishing co-operativas. I don't know the name...

EnsenadaDr - 4-18-2013 at 08:44 PM

Hmmm, so the fishing co-ops have another hospital besides IMSS? Very interesting. Can you find out the name of it when you get a chance?
Quote:
Originally posted by Nan&;D
The fishing co-operativas. I don't know the name...

Nan&D - 4-19-2013 at 03:04 PM

Sorry for the confusion, it is IMSS. Unidad Medica Familiar #15. We can apply here, starting with the physical. They gave me a list of other necessary documentation and the annual cost list.

DENNIS - 4-19-2013 at 03:28 PM

I thought IMSS was Social Security?

EnsenadaDr - 4-19-2013 at 05:19 PM

IMSS is for the common working man in Mexico, so that is probably why the fishing co-ops belong to that hospital.

Bill Collector - 4-21-2013 at 04:35 PM

A friend went last Friday to sign up here is his report

Friday we devoted the day to an adventure in La Paz to register with Seguro Popular. First step was Immigration where we presented our Passports along with our new Temporary Resident Cards and obtained our CURP numbers. Next stop was the old hospital on Nicolas Bravo. We found the office on the second floor of the new wing. Look for the door on the right. We had a nice chat with the young gal under the window who spoke perfect English. That office will determine an "economic means test"; how much you will be charged for the Seguro Popular medical insurance. Their policies range from 3 months to years. A wife may apply under the husbands name. If you are indigent, its free but if you have "means", there will be a charge. You will be asked a variety of questions to make that determination including "do you have a refrigerator?" At the Seguro Popular office, you will need copies of the CURP form, Passport, FM3 - we included copies of utility bills, etc. I did not include any prices since they will vary depending on their assessment.

EnsenadaDr - 4-21-2013 at 05:02 PM

Thank you Bill Collector. Are you aware that SEGURO POPULAR and IMSS are two different healthcare plans?

Bill Collector - 4-21-2013 at 06:05 PM

Yes we are, we have Seguro popular thanks to you..this was in La Paz..
Most of all our friends have signed up.. Thanks for letting us know, it's important for all that make Baja their home.

durrelllrobert - 4-21-2013 at 07:57 PM

What can you say about the new RUMOR (out of PV) that the new president is going to restrict Seguro Popular coverage To Mexican Nationals ONLY?
 Pages:  1