BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Seguro Popular, back by popular demand...
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 10:40 AM
Seguro Popular, back by popular demand...

I am getting inquiries folks again for eligibility for Seguro Popular. It is a great plan if you take chronic medications and also in a pinch for trauma, accidents, and serious illnesses. Again, to get to the US if you decide to go after a serious incident you will have to pay for your ambulances through Dianamed or another insurance plan might cover the expense. But no American should be without it. There is no upfront cost; I did ask my boss in Maneadero about some charges in Baja Sur that some readers here have mentioned, and he said there should be no cost. Any legal resident of Mexico is eligible. Don't leave home without it!!

[Edited on 9-28-2012 by EnsenadaDr]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 11:21 AM

I am so glad you published that information.

Is there any difference between the seguro popular and IMSS and ISSTE

I am assuming that as a high school teacher, I qualify for ISSTE and was just wondering if it is OK to sign us up for that or just sign up for the seguro popular.

gracias.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 11:31 AM

Where does one go to start this process, and meet with a real person to discuss it?

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 11:48 AM

Once you have your FM3, you go to your local registrar and apply for your CURP card. Then you go to which ever organization you are opting to go with - their administrative office - and apply for their policy. All very simple and fast.

IMSS you will have to have a physical by their Dr. prior to approval of the application. Seguro Popular just accepts you with out any pre quailifcation. The others I do not know about.

However, there is also GNP if you want world wide coverage and it will run 2,500 USD to 3,500 USD - depending on age, health, etc.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

I am assuming that as a high school teacher, I qualify for ISSTE and was just wondering if it is OK to sign us up for that or just sign up for the seguro popular.

gracias.

My wife teaches at the Catholic school and gets IMSS for the whole family.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 12:06 PM

Thanks to all these institutions, body-bags are high on the list of Mexico's GDP, but what the hell.....can't beat free.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 12:34 PM

Blanca...you should ask the Principle about your health insurance...if you can get the IMSS, it's better than Seguro Popular...better hospitals. As I recall, the closest hospital that accepts seguro popular is in Sta.Rosalia...here and GN are IMSS facilities.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 01:01 PM

Dennis, Is there any meaning to what you said? Or just wind?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Dennis, Is there any meaning to what you said? Or just wind?

I've never said anything without meaning in my entire life. :o
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 01:28 PM

I´m pretty sure its just wind with D. IMSS been great for us the past 10 yrs. I only have Kaiser in Cali to compare it to and IMSS is a hell of alot better. Oh yea and (not that we need it) there is more english speaking doctors at IMSS than there was at Kaiser.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 02:07 PM
Working and getting IMSS..

Blanca,

I am no lawyer but from what I have heard, legally all jobs should carry insurance for their workers. I don't know if this covers Americans, I assume you are American. But why not sign up for Seguro Popular if you are?
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

gracias.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-2-2012 at 02:12 PM
A bird in the hand...

Better to have some insurance down here than none at all, sure you probably could pay for an ambulance to the Private Hospitals, like Velmar or Cardiomed, but along with that comes a prepaid stay in ICU or whatever you need done and a beginning price tag of $20,000 American. Living in Mexico has its benefits, but fast, reliable emergency transportation on the outskirts of town are not one of them. I urge everyone to buy their own ACD, (Advanced Cardiac Defibrillators) or at least a group of close neighbors who purchase and then can share it.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Thanks to all these institutions, body-bags are high on the list of Mexico's GDP, but what the hell.....can't beat free.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 07:08 AM

Seguro Popular is not necessarily free. I paid about $100 US last year for my policy and most of the norteamericanos who have gotten their coverage from the hospital in Santa Rosalia ended up paying something.

IMSS works well, but they do underwriting so you may be ineligible if you are taking any meds. Again, this seems to depend on the office.

Also, there seems to be some significant differences between Baja California and Baja California Sur even though these are all national programs.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 07:31 AM

Cuidad Constitucion Seguro Popular Administration Office did not charge 5 of us for our policies in March when we got them.

Interesting.

And we have used the services and not been charged a thing for either pills or service.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 11:58 AM

doctora de Ensenada... soy mexicana and I teach English aqui en la bocana a los alumnos del cecyte y de la secundaria... pura vida :yes:

thanks both shari and doctora for giving advice

pescador - I think the policy has change quite recently and that now there is NO charge.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 06:23 PM

From painful experience I can tell you that folks with limited income are charged less than those who make progressively higher income. My pain came from my injury. Relief came when the Seguro Popular billing office came to recognize that and charged me 25% of it's original bill. Included almost three hours on an operating table.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 08:53 AM

Let's describe a situation that may be rather common among ex-pats and tell me what Seguro Popular would best be used for.

Many people I know over here have a world wide coverage plan with a very high deductible. The idea is that you pay for out of pocket care up to the 5000.00US deductible. Coverage in the US is not included, except in the case of emergency care while you are in the US. But there are many fine hospitals in Mexico, notwithstanding Dennis' bias.:lol:

Would it then make sense to use Seguro Popular for anything they cover up to the 5000.00 deductible? I am kinda assuming that the really good, larger, private hospitals in Mexico (which are often the best) probably wont accept S.P. payment amounts. Yes or no?

Does S.P. cover meds?

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 09:00 AM

We get meds with it . . . . Seguro Popular - - - free at their hospitals/clinics.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 09:07 AM
Deductible

Here's my take on this. If you have an emergency, such as heart attack or stroke, you will be more likely to be treated with Seguro Popular at the closest location, which is important as well, as time is of the essence. I encourage anyone to apply for Seguro Popular. It is better than nothing. However, the deductible is another thing. It is something you pay. So if you are trying to use the Seguro Popular for the $5000 deductible, forget about it. You have not paid that amount out of pocket, so it will not satisfy the deductible requirement. Seguro Popular cannot be used at the Private Mexican Hospitals, and it does cover meds, but you have to go to the designated clinics for an office visit to get them.

[Edited on 6-5-2012 by EnsenadaDr]
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Cuidad Constitucion Seguro Popular Administration Office did not charge 5 of us for our policies in March when we got them.

Interesting.

And we have used the services and not been charged a thing for either pills or service.

The first two years we had Seguro Popular, we had to pay around 800 pesos the first year and around 500 the next. The last two years have been free, although it wasn't clear why.

They do seem to have a problem stocking meds, but at these prices, I certainly have never felt entitled to complain. I figure a trip to the pharmacy will more than likely be part of whatever treatment is required.

Good post, EnsenadaDr.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.