BajaNomad

Loreto to San Quentin Road Conditions

BajaBruno - 6-10-2012 at 09:14 PM

I say San Quentin because that's where I stopped for tonight.

My, how things change in two weeks. The road repairs in and north of Santa Rosalia are still there, but very passable. No soft dirt/sand and most of it is hard packed or gravel.

The military checkpoints were a breeze. No lines and maybe a casual 10 minute check with some friendly conversation at most.

Interestingly, there was a conspicuous absence of Camino cops in both directions. Going south I saw one Camino cop from Ensenada to Loreto and going north I saw one. That's not many for such a long stretch. Both directions I saw one total Green Angel. They seem to be a dying breed.

One military convoy going southbound near Catavina, I think it was. Manned, fixed-mounted machine guns and all. They looked very serious.

cops on the road

captkw - 6-10-2012 at 09:22 PM

god I love baja.,.in this BS land of the fee.. where I live 7 months of the year north of the border...the cops.police.shariff's..state park rangers..fish and game..CHP..and other departments make it a JOKE to live around santa cruz calif. and guys and girls died fighting to make this a free crountry..what a bad.sick.crime on the folk in the good old us of a...I rather get stopped by a cop in mex than calif any day of my the rest of my life..It's that bad up here....

David K - 6-11-2012 at 12:41 AM

San Quintin ;)

(unless you meant the prison near San Francisco?)

tiotomasbcs - 6-11-2012 at 01:05 AM

Good news re Cuesta de l Infierno del Diablo. What a grade and dangerous narrow passage! Correct name, DK? Any old photos? San Quintin? History of the name? Just drove to Cabo and did not see any work crews; lines all painted and reflectors and guard rails. Signage. Finished. What a breeze! No Federales, either. Sale, Tio

David K - 6-11-2012 at 01:08 AM

I do think the sign as you drop to Santa Rosalia calls it Cuesta del Infierno... Or one Hell of a Grade! :light:

Lee - 6-11-2012 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
god I love baja.,.in this BS land of the fee.. where I live 7 months of the year north of the border...the cops.police.shariff's..state park rangers..fish and game..CHP..and other departments make it a JOKE to live around santa cruz calif. and guys and girls died fighting to make this a free crountry..what a bad.sick.crime on the folk in the good old us of a...I rather get stopped by a cop in mex than calif any day of my the rest of my life..It's that bad up here....

BajaOkie - 6-11-2012 at 05:53 PM

Thanks BajaBruno,

Got a trailer with a couple of 4-wheelers and a dirt bike in it behind a Dodge 3500 with a Lance uptop. Been concerned of what I had heard about the grade, Infiernal or not, always an interesting 15 minutes until Microonadas Almeja.

Thanks for the info!

KC

honda tom - 6-11-2012 at 09:38 PM

ensenada to san ignacio today was fast and smooth. 2 green angels, no highway patrols south of san quintin. on to conepception and loreto tomorrow.

BajaBruno - 6-12-2012 at 09:10 AM

Thanks for the correction, DavidK.

The rest of the way north to the border was similarly uneventful, though if I never feel another tope it will be too soon.

I took the Otay crossing at 10:30 AM Monday and was in line for 3 1/2 hours! Secondary because of my boat was the easy part. The radio said, I think, 1 3/4 hours, which obviously didn't include the lane I was in! The Border Dudes were in a semi-decent mood.

Archie - 6-12-2012 at 10:26 AM

I travel from GN to ENS at least once or twice a month... never had a problem with Policias Federales de Caminos, mainly because there are none of them from El Rosario to GN. :lol:

In case you need assistance and youre lucky to be in a place with cellphone reception, call *112 and the operator will send a PFC unit or Green Angels.

In the last few weeks, the military checkpoints have been searching more thorouglhy even on the way south, but i guess its related to the G20 summit in Cabo.

BajaBruno - 6-12-2012 at 01:14 PM

Archie, two weeks ago the military was doing thorough searches, but for the last two days they were just making a cursory peek, even northbound. They spent a couple of minutes on the boat and ignored everything under the camper shell.

Of course, tomorrow is another day and that may change again.