Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto to San Quentin Road Conditions
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 09:14 PM
Loreto to San Quentin Road Conditions

I say San Quentin because that's where I stopped for tonight.

My, how things change in two weeks. The road repairs in and north of Santa Rosalia are still there, but very passable. No soft dirt/sand and most of it is hard packed or gravel.

The military checkpoints were a breeze. No lines and maybe a casual 10 minute check with some friendly conversation at most.

Interestingly, there was a conspicuous absence of Camino cops in both directions. Going south I saw one Camino cop from Ensenada to Loreto and going north I saw one. That's not many for such a long stretch. Both directions I saw one total Green Angel. They seem to be a dying breed.

One military convoy going southbound near Catavina, I think it was. Manned, fixed-mounted machine guns and all. They looked very serious.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 09:22 PM
cops on the road

god I love baja.,.in this BS land of the fee.. where I live 7 months of the year north of the border...the cops.police.shariff's..state park rangers..fish and game..CHP..and other departments make it a JOKE to live around santa cruz calif. and guys and girls died fighting to make this a free crountry..what a bad.sick.crime on the folk in the good old us of a...I rather get stopped by a cop in mex than calif any day of my the rest of my life..It's that bad up here....
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 12:41 AM

San Quintin ;)

(unless you meant the prison near San Francisco?)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 01:05 AM

Good news re Cuesta de l Infierno del Diablo. What a grade and dangerous narrow passage! Correct name, DK? Any old photos? San Quintin? History of the name? Just drove to Cabo and did not see any work crews; lines all painted and reflectors and guard rails. Signage. Finished. What a breeze! No Federales, either. Sale, Tio
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 01:08 AM

I do think the sign as you drop to Santa Rosalia calls it Cuesta del Infierno... Or one Hell of a Grade! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
god I love baja.,.in this BS land of the fee.. where I live 7 months of the year north of the border...the cops.police.shariff's..state park rangers..fish and game..CHP..and other departments make it a JOKE to live around santa cruz calif. and guys and girls died fighting to make this a free crountry..what a bad.sick.crime on the folk in the good old us of a...I rather get stopped by a cop in mex than calif any day of my the rest of my life..It's that bad up here....

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
BajaOkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 05:53 PM

Thanks BajaBruno,

Got a trailer with a couple of 4-wheelers and a dirt bike in it behind a Dodge 3500 with a Lance uptop. Been concerned of what I had heard about the grade, Infiernal or not, always an interesting 15 minutes until Microonadas Almeja.

Thanks for the info!

KC
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 09:38 PM

ensenada to san ignacio today was fast and smooth. 2 green angels, no highway patrols south of san quintin. on to conepception and loreto tomorrow.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 09:10 AM

Thanks for the correction, DavidK.

The rest of the way north to the border was similarly uneventful, though if I never feel another tope it will be too soon.

I took the Otay crossing at 10:30 AM Monday and was in line for 3 1/2 hours! Secondary because of my boat was the easy part. The radio said, I think, 1 3/4 hours, which obviously didn't include the lane I was in! The Border Dudes were in a semi-decent mood.

Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 10:26 AM

I travel from GN to ENS at least once or twice a month... never had a problem with Policias Federales de Caminos, mainly because there are none of them from El Rosario to GN. :lol:

In case you need assistance and youre lucky to be in a place with cellphone reception, call *112 and the operator will send a PFC unit or Green Angels.

In the last few weeks, the military checkpoints have been searching more thorouglhy even on the way south, but i guess its related to the G20 summit in Cabo.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 01:14 PM

Archie, two weeks ago the military was doing thorough searches, but for the last two days they were just making a cursory peek, even northbound. They spent a couple of minutes on the boat and ignored everything under the camper shell.

Of course, tomorrow is another day and that may change again.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.