BajaNomad

First Gonzaga Bay Trip (with pics)

mrfatboy - 6-14-2012 at 01:10 PM

Hey guys,

I just got back from my first trip to Gonzaga Bay last weekend. We had an awesome time. We stayed at Campo Beluga for 3 days and a day at the El Cortez in San Felipe on the way back.

I was eager to try out my Navigon Mexico GPS app on my iphone. It worked very well. Detailed maps of Mexicali and San Felipe. It only had the main Hwy 5 road down to Gonzaga and did not cover the dirt roads but you could always see where you were. As I stated in another thread the gps app works without needing a phone data connection because all of mexico maps are downloaded on the phone before hand. I also tried using a new Pano photo app. You can check them out below. You will have to open/scroll your browser to see the full shots.

Day 1
Out of San Diego to Calexico border (2hrs). Crossed at 7am. Refueled at San Felipe. Beer break at the Cowpatty. About 2hr 10 to Gonzaga from there.

Camp Beluga
We asked around and it was unanimous that the place to camp was Beluga. We were the only ones there and they had salt water showers and flush toilets. We checked out Rancho Grande and they charged for the showers. Plus you had to drive all the way back to the market to use the showers or toilets. We met one couple that camped there one night and ended up at Alfonsia's. The wife couldn't take it :lol:

Day 2.
Just hung out at Camp Beluga

Day 3
Went to explore Punta Final and do some snorkeling. Found the "spot" from the advice from the nomads. On the way there we went thru Campo Sacraficio. Scary looking and smelly place. I would not recommend it :no:

Campo Sacraficio

Punta Final

Snorkel Spot

Good snorkel spot just left of the house.

Locals doing some "rock crawling" at Punta Final

Day 4.

Stayed at El Cortez. $70. Hotel receptionist was rude. We had a nice lunch at Taco Factory. 2x1 beers Mondays :) Dinner was El Nido and had a nice rib eye. We ordered a bottle of the Santo Thomas wine. Not very good (at least this bottle). Believe or not I actually ordered it while I was in Hong Kong 10 years ago and it was good. I have also seen empty bottles in restaurants on display while travelling in Europe. The wine does get around :)

Day 5

Used our Sentri pass for the first time at Calexico East. My wife just drove straight thru, no wait (10am). I walked across, no line. Extremely easy. Back at home by noon.

Here is a map how we crossed the border at Calexico East. For people that are travelling with you that DO NOT have a Sentri pass I found this drop off/pick up method worked reasonable well.

Based on some comments in this forum and some people I talked to at Gonzaga Bay people seem to be more comfortable dropping off non Sentri people before the bridge out of sight of an BP agent in a bad mood. Longer walk. YMMV.

The "before the bridge dropoff" is not a friendly drop off point for. Watch for cars, be prepared to jump and get to the sidewalk. Don't lolly gag about and create a problem for others.

Awesome Trip!

[Edited on 6-15-2012 by BajaNomad]

[Edited on 7-2-2012 by mrfatboy]

David K - 6-14-2012 at 04:50 PM

Thank you for the report and photos... The panoramas are cool... but they stretch the Nomad page way wide... Maybe Doug can fix it somehow?

The showers at Beluga should not be salt water, unless their well got encroached on by the sea? It looks very nice, once again (we camped there in '06).

Interesting that you got creeped out at El Sacrificio (as we did too... at least the two women in our group did)! edm-1 (Art) and his wife stayed there in their motorhome the evening after we looked at it, and had no issues I recall from his trip report of July, 2011.

Thank you for posting!

Ken Cooke - 6-14-2012 at 05:59 PM

Those panorama photos are the coolest!:yes: I'd like to return there again soon.

mrfatboy - 6-14-2012 at 06:16 PM

My wife just told me she thought the showers were fresh water. Maybe it was just smelly to me. But they were fine for camping in the middle of nowhere.

Btw.
I saw an ad at alfonsia's for house #6 for sale for $60. With a $2750/year lease.

Marc - 6-14-2012 at 06:27 PM

I'll be there in October. Where is El Cortez?

[Edited on 6-15-2012 by Marc]

Bob H - 6-14-2012 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
My wife just told me she thought the showers were fresh water. Maybe it was just smelly to me. But they were fine for camping in the middle of nowhere.

Btw.
I saw an ad at alfonsia's for house #6 for sale for $60. With a $2750/year lease.

I'm sure you meant to say house #6 for sale for $60,000.... not $60

mrfatboy - 6-14-2012 at 07:15 PM

Whoops! Sorry! Yes, $60k :). All you Stop u2u'n me ;)

The el Cortez hotel in San Felipe. South of the malecon.

TMW - 6-15-2012 at 07:39 AM

Thanks for the report and the pictures, most inviting.

El Vergel - 6-15-2012 at 02:53 PM

Thanks for the great report and awesome pics! Looked to be a very successful trip. Good stuff!

nbacc - 6-15-2012 at 09:49 PM

El Cortez is a motel at the end of the malacon in San Felipe.

Ateo - 6-15-2012 at 10:43 PM

Great photos - especially the panoramics.

redhilltown - 6-16-2012 at 12:17 AM

Flush toilets and showers whilst camping? What is this you speak of!!!?? ;D;D

I love the rooms at El Cortez and the shower pressure rocks but they certainly do have an "attitude". Always get the feeling that they are doing you a favor as opposed to wanting my business.

El Jefe - 6-18-2012 at 03:33 PM

I haven't been over on Mx Hwy 5 in a long time. Am thinking of going that way north on my next drive up to San Diego County around the first of August instead of through all the traffic north of El Rosario. Mainly for something different to look at. I would imagine I'll spend a steamy night in San Felipe.

So, my understanding is that the road is paved to Gonzaga from the north. Si?? And what about the stretch from Gonzaga to Hwy 1? Looks to me like it might be about an hour of graded dirt for my Honda Pilot.

mrfatboy - 6-18-2012 at 03:47 PM

Dirt road for 12 miles from Gonzaga to San Felipe. Many detours. The road I took down was certainly not the road I went back on. The honda pilot should be fine. I was using a pathfinder. My buddy used a Toyota Sequoya. However, he got a flat on the way back. Watch out for sharp rocks.

I didn't bother deflating the tires. It's up to you. A lot of people do more so for the smoother ride.

El Jefe - 6-18-2012 at 04:03 PM

Thanks! I run BFG's on the pilot and am used to lowering the pressure for our 13 miles of dirt to San Jose del Cabo from our house, but like you I'll probably stay aired up for the Ganzaga passage. I'll just try to stay on top of it and see how she rides. Should be fun to see some different scenery.

David K - 6-18-2012 at 04:12 PM

Tom, lowering the pressure to ~20 psi may reduce the chance of flats... I had typically gone by Gonzaga at 32 psi, and fast... but there and other graded roads in Baja have often caused me flats from sharp rocks. I now am of the mind that 20-25 psi can save tires and help with the ride, a double bonus.

CortezBlue - 6-18-2012 at 04:18 PM

MrFatBoy

Maybe we are twin brothers from different mothers??

Any who, from Gonzaga where is Pt Final

CortezBlue - 6-18-2012 at 04:20 PM

PS
Nice photos. I am a big Pano fan. I bought a small device that fits on a tripod that allows for very accurate sections to stitch together.

It wasn't one of the expensive ones, but a very cheap plastic and metal version.

I will try to find the info on it and let you know

David K - 6-18-2012 at 04:31 PM

Ken Cooke - 6-18-2012 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Tom, lowering the pressure to ~20 psi may reduce the chance of flats... I had typically gone by Gonzaga at 32 psi, and fast... but there and other graded roads in Baja have often caused me flats from sharp rocks. I now am of the mind that 20-25 psi can save tires and help with the ride, a double bonus.

X2 - My coil-sprung suspension and extra weight from camping supplies requires me to drive slowly in the dirt. On my last trip down THAT ROAD, I snapped a shock bar pin in half, causing my rear suspension to malfunction. Stiff Monotube Pro-Comp MX-6 shocks set to 'MEDIUM' had something to do with it along with all of the extra weight from ice and water.

Be ready to do a roadside repair if need be, as David K pointed out above.:yes:

mrfatboy - 6-18-2012 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
MrFatBoy

As David K's map shows, Punta Final is 20-30 minutes south of Campo Beluga. If you are coming from the Rancho Grande store follow the signs to Campo Beluga and just keep going. I think that is the best and most scenic road.

On the way back from Punta Final I took the main road out and was hoping to hit the main road from Rancho Grande store. It didn't happen and started taking me more south on the way to CoCo's I guess. I had to double back 4 -5 miles. On the way back I saw a tiny little sign on a stick that said "Alfonsia's". The road did not look very driven on. I took it anyway for the adventure. It did end up on the Main straight road from Rancho Grande. Parts were very rough and steep. I would not take it again and just hug the nice mostly sandy road along the coast to Campo Sacraficio, Campo Beluga and then on to Rancho Grande.

There are tons of roads criss crossing every which way down there.

David K - 6-18-2012 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
MrFatBoy

As David K's map shows, Punta Final is 20-30 minutes south of Campo Beluga. If you are coming from the Rancho Grande store follow the signs to Campo Beluga and just keep going. I think that is the best and most scenic road.

On the way back from Punta Final I took the main road out and was hoping to hit the main road from Rancho Grande store. It didn't happen and started taking me more south on the way to CoCo's I guess. I had to double back 4 -5 miles. On the way back I saw a tiny little sign on a stick that said "Alfonsia's". The road did not look very driven on. I took it anyway for the adventure. It did end up on the Main straight road from Rancho Grande. Parts were very rough and steep. I would not take it again and just hug the nice mostly sandy road along the coast to Campo Sacraficio, Campo Beluga and then on to Rancho Grande.

There are tons of roads criss crossing every which way down there.

In 2002, while my son and I were visiting many of Gonzaga's points-of-interst (Turquoise Mine, Molino de Lacy, Mission warehouse ruin, El Camino Real, Onyx springs), I sketched this map... shows the new dirt highway, the older road south, and some side roads:

In 2007, I sketched this map which show the Camino Real and Santa Maria mission near Gonzaga Bay:

mrfatboy - 6-18-2012 at 05:43 PM

Strange, when I came back from Punta Final and tried to hook up to Hwy 5 (which I finally did) I took a really rough road and that hooked up to what I thought was the end of Hwy 5. I then just took it straight to Rancho Grande.

I must be remembering wrong. David K's maps are never wrong :lol: (sincerely)

However, there are definitely more roads going all over the place as compared to the above maps.

Edit:
I just spoke to the wife. She verified that I didn't remember correctly :lol: But I am right about the new roads hugging closer to the coast going thru Campo Sacraficio (Campo Septico :o )

[Edited on 6-19-2012 by mrfatboy]

David K - 6-18-2012 at 09:41 PM

True, more roads than I show, plus Sacrificio is new since that map.

Edguero - 6-21-2012 at 08:12 PM

That "rock crawling" Jeep was stuck there for 2 days, they winched it in for a photo shoot then broke something in the front end trying to get it out, ran out of gas,burned up the winch, very entertaining, oldest rule in Baja "Don't drive below the high tide line" my wife got some good video.

mrfatboy - 6-22-2012 at 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Edguero
That "rock crawling" Jeep was stuck there for 2 days, they winched it in for a photo shoot then broke something in the front end trying to get it out, ran out of gas,burned up the winch, very entertaining, oldest rule in Baja "Don't drive below the high tide line" my wife got some good video.

Can you post the video on YouTube or something? I would like to see it. Lol. Was the jeep submerged at high tide?

David K - 6-22-2012 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
True, more roads than I show, plus Sacrificio is new since that map.

You know, Google Earth is great at seeing an area or using as an off road map!

I didn't do a zoom in around Papa Fernandez', as there isn't much on the way of new desert roads there.

56MM# - 6-29-2012 at 02:32 PM

Was down in Gonzaga Bay last week on a day trip from San Felipe. Road from Puertecitos south is amazing (until it turns into a construction zone). It's almost surreal going 50 miles on a vado-infested road from San Felipe to Puertecitos and then suddenly being on a two-lane road as good as the best in the U.S. Outside of the construction zone, I only passed one other vehicle going the opposite way. Could maintain 70 mph on many stretches.

Some of the changes I noticed from when I was there 4-1/2 years ago included rock barriers on the beach designed to prevent people from driving motor vehicles from Alfonsina's to the small bay just west of Punta Final. There was also a trailer at the entrance to the Punta Final housing area with a sign that said $12 to enter. The guy guarding the place let me in without charge. I gave him a cold beverage on my way out.

Agreed that El Sacrificio had a creepy feeling...that and a lack of sand on their beach.

With the new road, I wonder how long it will be before Gonzaga Bay grows into another tourist destination like San Felipe. When the road is finished, it will only be two more hours past San Felipe. For those of us who live in San Diego and have SENTRI cards, that's only seven hours each way to get somewhere a world apart from southern CA.

David K - 6-29-2012 at 07:08 PM

Water may be the big issue in too many homes or hotels at Gonzaga... The spring just west of Rancho Grande Market is full of minerals that make onyx over the years. The spring that makes the oasis west of Punta Final (Las Palmitas), must have a limit. I would also thing the Arroyo Santa Maria underground water has a limit?

redhilltown - 6-29-2012 at 11:23 PM

DK...are you using logic again????? :tumble::tumble:

They will build build build and THEN worry about the water supply!

David K - 6-30-2012 at 08:42 AM

Seriously! Good call Red Hill Town!;)

mrfatboy - 7-2-2012 at 01:37 PM

I edited the original post with the picture but here is the addition for the thread followers.

Here is a map how we crossed the border at Calexico East. For people that are travelling with you that DO NOT have a Sentri pass I found this drop off/pick up method worked reasonable well.

Based on some comments in this forum and some people I talked to at Gonzaga Bay people seem to be more comfortable dropping off non Sentri people before the bridge out of sight of an BP agent in a bad mood. Longer walk. YMMV.

The "before the bridge dropoff" is not a friendly drop off point for. Watch for cars, be prepared to jump and get to the sidewalk. Don't lolly gag about and create a problem for others.

brewer - 7-11-2012 at 08:19 PM

Just did Hwy 5 down and back up from Chapala. The road is in good shape. Air down to 25 psi and you should be good. Camped at Pta. Final going down and back up. Saw whale sharks and 5 sea turtles. Alphonsina's is expanding. Getting ready for the new hwy coming in.

Trip report pictures coming soon.

mrfatboy - 7-11-2012 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
Just did Hwy 5 down and back up from Chapala. The road is in good shape. Air down to 25 psi and you should be good. Camped at Pta. Final going down and back up. Saw whale sharks and 5 sea turtles. Alphonsina's is expanding. Getting ready for the new hwy coming in.

Trip report pictures coming soon.

How is Alphonsia's expanding? I saw nothing going on 30 days ago.

David K - 7-11-2012 at 09:25 PM

ALFONSINA'S:light:

brewer - 7-11-2012 at 10:01 PM

My friend bought into lot #1 about 8 months ago only to find out the lease will not be renewed. Number 2 is already demo'ed. The brothers plan to expand the hotel and have the whole sand spit for Alfonsina's. It's too bad, he had a real nice set up there. But it makes sense if you are the people running the hotel and restaurant.

mrfatboy - 7-11-2012 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
My friend bought into lot #1 about 8 months ago only to find out the lease will not be renewed. Number 2 is already demo'ed. The brothers plan to expand the hotel and have the whole sand spit for Alfonsina's. It's too bad, he had a real nice set up there. But it makes sense if you are the people running the hotel and restaurant.

What happens to your friends lot when the lease expires? Does he loose his principe in the house?

David K - 7-12-2012 at 10:19 AM

#2 was Doug Bowles place (with a hot tub)...

Douglas used to fly people and supplies to Alfonsina's... . He flew me to Oceanside from Alfonsina's in 1999... We had Thanksgiving dinner with him in 2002 at Alfonsina's.

Taking people back north a few years ago, he flew into a mountain, very sad

El Vergel - 7-12-2012 at 07:01 PM

Amigos,

Slightly north of Arr. Hondo (north of the beautifull-ness of the Gonzaga Bay) lies Okie Landing.

Whassup with this? History and visit info please, Nomads!

[Edited on 7-13-2012 by El Vergel]

David K - 7-13-2012 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Vergel
Amigos,

Slightly north of Arr. Hondo (north of the beautifull-ness of the Gonzaga Bay) lies Okie Landing.

Whassup with this? History and visit info please, Nomads!

[Edited on 7-13-2012 by El Vergel]

Hi Vern,

Okie Landing was a sport fishing camp in the 1960's. It used a cave for an ice room to store the fish. Today, just the concrete slabs remain where the little rooms once where:

On maps:

1962:

1970:

1975:

Humboldt Chris and Robin - 10-8-2012 at 06:55 PM

Glad to hear Beluga is still going, we always enjoyed it and the folks who run it. We will be there in a little over a week. Made me cry the first time I saw the road work heading towards Gonzaga, I loved that old road and its sharp rocks and blue ribbin washboard!

David K - 10-8-2012 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Humboldt Chris and Robin
Glad to hear Beluga is still going, we always enjoyed it and the folks who run it. We will be there in a little over a week. Made me cry the first time I saw the road work heading towards Gonzaga, I loved that old road and its sharp rocks and blue ribbin washboard!

10-4 that... My first trip to Baja, was to Gonzaga Bay in 1965 down the road from San Felipe... 4WD!:bounce: