BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: First Gonzaga Bay Trip (with pics)
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 01:10 PM
First Gonzaga Bay Trip (with pics)

Hey guys,

I just got back from my first trip to Gonzaga Bay last weekend. We had an awesome time. We stayed at Campo Beluga for 3 days and a day at the El Cortez in San Felipe on the way back.

I was eager to try out my Navigon Mexico GPS app on my iphone. It worked very well. Detailed maps of Mexicali and San Felipe. It only had the main Hwy 5 road down to Gonzaga and did not cover the dirt roads but you could always see where you were. As I stated in another thread the gps app works without needing a phone data connection because all of mexico maps are downloaded on the phone before hand. I also tried using a new Pano photo app. You can check them out below. You will have to open/scroll your browser to see the full shots.

Day 1
Out of San Diego to Calexico border (2hrs). Crossed at 7am. Refueled at San Felipe. Beer break at the Cowpatty. About 2hr 10 to Gonzaga from there.

Camp Beluga
We asked around and it was unanimous that the place to camp was Beluga. We were the only ones there and they had salt water showers and flush toilets. We checked out Rancho Grande and they charged for the showers. Plus you had to drive all the way back to the market to use the showers or toilets. We met one couple that camped there one night and ended up at Alfonsia's. The wife couldn't take it :lol:

Day 2.
Just hung out at Camp Beluga

Day 3
Went to explore Punta Final and do some snorkeling. Found the "spot" from the advice from the nomads. On the way there we went thru Campo Sacraficio. Scary looking and smelly place. I would not recommend it :no:

Campo Sacraficio

Punta Final

Snorkel Spot

Good snorkel spot just left of the house.

Locals doing some "rock crawling" at Punta Final

Day 4.

Stayed at El Cortez. $70. Hotel receptionist was rude. We had a nice lunch at Taco Factory. 2x1 beers Mondays :) Dinner was El Nido and had a nice rib eye. We ordered a bottle of the Santo Thomas wine. Not very good (at least this bottle). Believe or not I actually ordered it while I was in Hong Kong 10 years ago and it was good. I have also seen empty bottles in restaurants on display while travelling in Europe. The wine does get around :)

Day 5

Used our Sentri pass for the first time at Calexico East. My wife just drove straight thru, no wait (10am). I walked across, no line. Extremely easy. Back at home by noon.

Here is a map how we crossed the border at Calexico East. For people that are travelling with you that DO NOT have a Sentri pass I found this drop off/pick up method worked reasonable well.

Based on some comments in this forum and some people I talked to at Gonzaga Bay people seem to be more comfortable dropping off non Sentri people before the bridge out of sight of an BP agent in a bad mood. Longer walk. YMMV.

The "before the bridge dropoff" is not a friendly drop off point for. Watch for cars, be prepared to jump and get to the sidewalk. Don't lolly gag about and create a problem for others.

Awesome Trip!

[Edited on 6-15-2012 by BajaNomad]

[Edited on 7-2-2012 by mrfatboy]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 04:50 PM

Thank you for the report and photos... The panoramas are cool... but they stretch the Nomad page way wide... Maybe Doug can fix it somehow?

The showers at Beluga should not be salt water, unless their well got encroached on by the sea? It looks very nice, once again (we camped there in '06).

Interesting that you got creeped out at El Sacrificio (as we did too... at least the two women in our group did)! edm-1 (Art) and his wife stayed there in their motorhome the evening after we looked at it, and had no issues I recall from his trip report of July, 2011.

Thank you for posting!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 05:59 PM

Those panorama photos are the coolest!:yes: I'd like to return there again soon.

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 06:16 PM

My wife just told me she thought the showers were fresh water. Maybe it was just smelly to me. But they were fine for camping in the middle of nowhere.

Btw.
I saw an ad at alfonsia's for house #6 for sale for $60. With a $2750/year lease.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 06:27 PM

I'll be there in October. Where is El Cortez?

[Edited on 6-15-2012 by Marc]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
My wife just told me she thought the showers were fresh water. Maybe it was just smelly to me. But they were fine for camping in the middle of nowhere.

Btw.
I saw an ad at alfonsia's for house #6 for sale for $60. With a $2750/year lease.

I'm sure you meant to say house #6 for sale for $60,000.... not $60

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 07:15 PM

Whoops! Sorry! Yes, $60k :). All you Stop u2u'n me ;)

The el Cortez hotel in San Felipe. South of the malecon.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 07:39 AM

Thanks for the report and the pictures, most inviting.
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 02:53 PM

Thanks for the great report and awesome pics! Looked to be a very successful trip. Good stuff!
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 09:49 PM

El Cortez is a motel at the end of the malacon in San Felipe.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 10:43 PM

Great photos - especially the panoramics.

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 12:17 AM

Flush toilets and showers whilst camping? What is this you speak of!!!?? ;D;D

I love the rooms at El Cortez and the shower pressure rocks but they certainly do have an "attitude". Always get the feeling that they are doing you a favor as opposed to wanting my business.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 03:33 PM

I haven't been over on Mx Hwy 5 in a long time. Am thinking of going that way north on my next drive up to San Diego County around the first of August instead of through all the traffic north of El Rosario. Mainly for something different to look at. I would imagine I'll spend a steamy night in San Felipe.

So, my understanding is that the road is paved to Gonzaga from the north. Si?? And what about the stretch from Gonzaga to Hwy 1? Looks to me like it might be about an hour of graded dirt for my Honda Pilot.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 03:47 PM

Dirt road for 12 miles from Gonzaga to San Felipe. Many detours. The road I took down was certainly not the road I went back on. The honda pilot should be fine. I was using a pathfinder. My buddy used a Toyota Sequoya. However, he got a flat on the way back. Watch out for sharp rocks.

I didn't bother deflating the tires. It's up to you. A lot of people do more so for the smoother ride.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 04:03 PM

Thanks! I run BFG's on the pilot and am used to lowering the pressure for our 13 miles of dirt to San Jose del Cabo from our house, but like you I'll probably stay aired up for the Ganzaga passage. I'll just try to stay on top of it and see how she rides. Should be fun to see some different scenery.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 04:12 PM

Tom, lowering the pressure to ~20 psi may reduce the chance of flats... I had typically gone by Gonzaga at 32 psi, and fast... but there and other graded roads in Baja have often caused me flats from sharp rocks. I now am of the mind that 20-25 psi can save tires and help with the ride, a double bonus.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 04:18 PM

MrFatBoy

Maybe we are twin brothers from different mothers??

Any who, from Gonzaga where is Pt Final
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 04:20 PM

PS
Nice photos. I am a big Pano fan. I bought a small device that fits on a tripod that allows for very accurate sections to stitch together.

It wasn't one of the expensive ones, but a very cheap plastic and metal version.

I will try to find the info on it and let you know
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 04:31 PM

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Tom, lowering the pressure to ~20 psi may reduce the chance of flats... I had typically gone by Gonzaga at 32 psi, and fast... but there and other graded roads in Baja have often caused me flats from sharp rocks. I now am of the mind that 20-25 psi can save tires and help with the ride, a double bonus.

X2 - My coil-sprung suspension and extra weight from camping supplies requires me to drive slowly in the dirt. On my last trip down THAT ROAD, I snapped a shock bar pin in half, causing my rear suspension to malfunction. Stiff Monotube Pro-Comp MX-6 shocks set to 'MEDIUM' had something to do with it along with all of the extra weight from ice and water.

Be ready to do a roadside repair if need be, as David K pointed out above.:yes:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.