BajaNomad

No reports on marlin or tuna????

Fishmagician - 6-22-2012 at 03:52 PM

Is anyone getting hooked up by marlin or tuna. The board has been quiet about these fish????:?::?::?:

fish

captkw - 6-22-2012 at 04:01 PM

Im in monetery ca. and chasing chinook (king) but when I lived on a boat in aculpuco we trolled tunas for the marlin!! black and blue's and BIG !!

Check your U2U

djh - 6-22-2012 at 04:07 PM

Hmmmmm.

djh

Burbs - 6-23-2012 at 07:24 AM

The past week several fishermen fishing out of Mulege caught Marlin and Sail's. I did see pictures on their camera's. Reported they were aggressive feeders. Yesterday, Big Mike wrote my son that he caught one sail and two dorado straight out of Mulege.
The bay has some roosters feeding, but not like it was a month ago. Lot's of sardine fry hatching out. A bizillion in front of the restaurant yesterday. Sea looks healthy!

Fishmagician - 6-23-2012 at 09:05 AM

The replies so far are from the north. What about the Los Barriles area?

I'm assuming this may be the yearly pattern of fish migrating by the southern part of the peninsula going north in the spring and then passing by again in the fall? The fishing Nomad's opinions?:?::?:

bigmike58 - 6-24-2012 at 07:55 AM

Here are a few pics from a few of last weeks "fishing" trips..... Fish are biting one day and not the next..typical fishing for me..lol

so far only 3 dorado, 1 small marlin, 5 sailfish and quite a few skipjacks. The water is looking good for this next week. I will post up pics each day we fish.

Good morning Mulege!!!

[Edited on 6-24-2012 by bigmike58]

acadist - 6-24-2012 at 08:18 AM

Great pics Mike

Fishmagician - 6-24-2012 at 01:50 PM

WOW...great pic, thanks for sharing it helps keep the edge off. More, more, more:tumble::spingrin::yes::wow:

bigmike58 - 6-24-2012 at 05:48 PM

some of the local scenery while fishing last week..

woody with a view - 6-24-2012 at 06:03 PM

that last one is the worst!:P

Fishmagician - 6-24-2012 at 08:07 PM

Very nice, tacos and cold beer, a terrific sunset and good fishing fantastic

bigmike58 - 6-25-2012 at 06:29 PM

Took the family fishing today. After the usual trip to Pemex for drinks, junk food and ice we finaly hit the water at 8am..a very late start. Since we are fishing a tournament tomorrow we decided to try our luck to the north and head up towards Santa Inez island, we started trolling shortly after the lighthouse since the "Local" gossip has dorado's in Mulege bay. We didnt find them untill we were outside the line between the points. Well outside the bay.

Had seven of these illegally fishing here last week, they all left about 4 days ago. This one was returning this morning.

Jake was ready to rip some lips...

He didnt last long, the swells rocked him to sleep....

ZZZZZZZZIIIIINNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG.....

My wife fought her first dorado for about 5 min, She got it to the boat 4 times before the 80lb leader snapped and the fish got away....But we did get it's picture!! I would guess it at 20-25 lbs... It would have been our biggest... oh well, theres always manana

That is the second brand new lure/leader that snapped this week. The rod has 40lb mono, it should have broken well before the 80lb leader. I'm going to have a little talk with the tackle shop in Hemet when we return home. We managed a good sized skipjack on our troll back to the ramp. let's hope for more fish in tomorrows tournament..

[Edited on 6-26-2012 by bigmike58]

nice pics

captkw - 6-25-2012 at 07:10 PM

HOLA, nice shots !! whats up with the 80# leader breakin ?? I used to guide on the east cape and out of cabo before it turned into a zoo and had good luck with triline 50# and no leader and sometimes depending on the lure a bearing swivel.. always" the lest knots the better"...K & T :cool:

bigmike58 - 6-25-2012 at 07:27 PM

KW, I don't know what the problem is, the leader is breaking near the knot on the hook. We get the snap swivel and about 5' of leader back every time. I'm new at this salt water fishing thing, fished bass tourny's forever. I had our local tackle store just pre-rig all my crap since I'm a newbie. All the rods/reels/line and lures are new. It's just another baja adventure, learning as we go.......:)

KNOTS

captkw - 6-25-2012 at 08:21 PM

HOLA,BIGMIKE,,IS THAT YOUR RED CAT THAT IS YOUR PIC ON THIS SIGHT???? SWEET !! MYSELF LIKE THE X2 PALAMOR KNOT.. ITS A PAIN AT FIRST WITH LURES OR DOULBLE HOOKS AND BIG LINE... BUT A STRONG KNOT!! I AWAYS RUN A LIGHT DRAG AND WORK THE HELM WITH A FISH ON...EASY TO DO ON A SMALL CAT.. IF YOU WANT THAT FISH ON THE DINNER TABLE,,LET IT RUN,RUN,RUN WHILE YOUR DRAG IS SORTA ON THE LOOSE SIDE.. KEEP THE BOAT FOLLOWING IT..WORKS A LOT BETTER THAT TRYING TO BULL A FISH IN !!99 PERCENT OF LOST FISH IS DU TO TRYING TO OVER POWER THE FISH !! I TELL MY GUEST TO KEEP THE TIP UP,,TAKE UP THE SLAK AND WHEN THE FISH WANTS TO RUN...LET IT..THATS WHAT WEARS UM OUT..K & T..PS WIRE LEADER (BLACK) IS ALSO A GOOD THING..K&T..

Fishmagician - 6-25-2012 at 09:24 PM

BigMike, what knot do you use on that mono...maybe we can help

Fishmagician - 6-26-2012 at 07:35 AM

BigMike, Knots often don't hold if they aren't seated (tight) well.

I have used the palmar knot a lot for inshore fish, but I've had it pull out on heavier line.

The San Diego knot, a jam knot may hold better for you. The link below give a wide range of knots to help you out.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/

Cypress - 6-26-2012 at 08:18 AM

BigMike58, Thanks for the pics.:D The leader line must be bad. :?:

bigmike58 - 6-26-2012 at 04:56 PM

Well...We won the tourny today thanks to the 16lb red snapper that my wife caught.. going to dinner right now will post more info and pics shortly.. and we broke off again at the boat..same place as the last 2-3 times

acadist - 6-26-2012 at 05:38 PM

Wonder if they 'P-nched' the leader to tie the knot, thus weakening the leader. I use a palomar alot....easy and strong!

woody with a view - 6-26-2012 at 06:12 PM

cut them all off and retie them.

Hook - 6-26-2012 at 07:08 PM

Really sounds like the leader. How old is it?

For the size of fish you are catching, any old knot should hold. Improved clinch, uni, etc. But on 80, you could be damaging the line as you draw it tight. Are you sure you are moistening the know sufficiently?

I do prefer the SD jam knot.

Knot a fan of the Palomar. Doesnt absorb shock much.

willardguy - 6-26-2012 at 07:19 PM

whats wrong with a double barrel swedge in aluminum or brass?

knots

captkw - 6-26-2012 at 07:20 PM

HOLA,,myself like a double palarmor knot !! but if you want to really have some fun...try doing a bimini twist...not !!K&T

Hook - 6-26-2012 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
whats wrong with a double barrel swedge in aluminum or brass?

Nothing.........if the person has the right crimping tool and knows how to use it. I just dont do that in front of a swivel.

Come to think of it..........which knot is breaking? At the hook or at the swivel or ????

willardguy - 6-26-2012 at 07:57 PM

yup, as in swedge!

knots

captkw - 6-26-2012 at 08:08 PM

a swedge is great for BIG game !! but does add turbuance and a little over kill for even a big bull..I do think we were talking dorado.....K & T :cool:

bigmike58 - 6-26-2012 at 08:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions..All the tackle is new, the one thing I remember is that the tackle store rigged all the feathers with 80lb flurocarbon... That crap is going in the garbage...

We launched at 6am and headed for the " super secret snapper spot" I'm not sure why they call it that since everyone knows exactly where it is.

My wife hooked on to the 16lb snapper on the first drop. We caught a few small pinto bass and decided to start trolling since this was a 1-dorado and 1-whatever else combined weight tournament.

After about 2 hours of nothing the quantum reel starts screaming, Dorado on and he's a pig.. We are high fiving and figure we have the tourny in the bag.... The fish jumps over a dozen times, no problem, I get him to the boat 4 times but he is still hot and not looking for a ride in the KeyWest. Paul grabs the long gaff but he can't reach the fish... finaly the pig starts to lay over near the surface and bam!! the damn leader pops. I'm ready to cry. I can't believe that fish was on for over 15 minutes and now it's gone.

We are all bummed but figure we still have a chance if we can catch another dodo. We troll for another 4 hrs and nothing. My team has given up on my rookie skills as a guide and decide it's naptime..

Then I notice something strange.. Pilot whales? WAKE UP, CHECK OUT THESE WHALES.. they are circling a dead seal... so we troll past numerous times to no avail.

About an hour later we finally hook up again... It's small but it's a dorado.

We haul ass back to the ramp, load up and talk to some of the other teams about the pig that got away (I have video). Stopped at pemex for 1300 peso's of fuel and a cold redbull. Paul takes the fish over for weigh in and we follow after rinsing off the gear. Paul say's "dude, were in 1st place".. I say "are we the first or only ones weighing in? LOL... The weights were low but I guess we had some good karma due and ended up in 1st place. I would like to thank my sleepy wife and Paul (who needs a day at gaff school) for a fun day on the Sea of Cortez...

capt. That cat is a 25' warlock, it's at havasu on the river. It's a little too fast for baja.:biggrin:

[Edited on 6-27-2012 by bigmike58]

willardguy - 6-26-2012 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt kw
a wedge is great for BIG game !! but does add turbulence and a little over kill for even a big bull..I do think we were talking dorado.....K & T :cool:

uh, sorry. I thought we were talking about 80# connections. a sleeve produces more "turbulence" than some bulky knot? im not arguing, just learning!:light:

big mike

captkw - 6-26-2012 at 08:39 PM

nice pics..hey,whats the story on that red cat as your avatar ?? and I thought were were talking about dorado leaders breaking ?? I my self dont normally use leaders for dorado...so I now get the 80# side..I Think..12 hour day fixing boats...K&T..OUT

bigmike58 - 6-27-2012 at 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
nice pics..hey,whats the story on that red cat as your avatar ?? and I thought were were talking about dorado leaders breaking ?? I my self dont normally use leaders for dorado...so I now get the 80# side..I Think..12 hour day fixing boats...K&T..OUT

The cat is a Warlock 25' bravo1 merc 454, it does 74mph gps, it would be fun in baja but not very practical so we use it at lake havasu and on the colorado mostly. Here is a pic at lake tahoe from last July.

Back to the trolling feathers.. I bought the unrigged feathers from a tackle shop and THEY offered to rig them. Since I didnt have a clue what to use I said "do whats best" and they added the leader,ball swivels, beads and double hook. I will take a picture of the dorado/sailfish trolling lure/feather whatever you wanna call it thing later today, I think I still have the broken leader that went thru the feather and was tried to the hook that still resides in the dodo's upper jaw. Time to launch..hope we get a couple nice ones today, the fishing is slow but it could bust wide open any day..

Osprey - 6-27-2012 at 05:42 AM

On the knots. This works for me: palomar to 40#, perfection knot for heavier line, leaders. Seaguar knot for flouro leader to mono. All quick, neat.

Osprey - 6-27-2012 at 05:45 AM

The tuna are here in Palmas bay but most are footballs and they are all outside from 20 to 40. Using cedar plugs mostly because not much bait around.

Going out tomorrow so I'll report on what's what later.

big mike

captkw - 6-27-2012 at 08:07 AM

SWEET !!!! Nice !! calif summer with a cat on a lake !! dosnt get any better than that!!! merc's rock !!!! my cat has (mercs) twin 2 stroke 75's and does a radar 55mph and will do it in 20+ knots in the ocean with breaking waves and swell..YAA BABY !! thanks for the pic !!started my day the good way !! K & T :cool: O.K. had coffee and reread your post (mike) I have found thur the years of fishing that the least termanel rigging the better !!! you do not need all that crap !!!! if your chaseing dorado 50 line and no leader.. if your lurE spins throw on a bearing swivel and thats IT..BTW black wire leader works Great..always KISS....keep it simple stu...K&T

[Edited on 6-27-2012 by captkw]

bigmike58 - 6-27-2012 at 12:58 PM

Here are close up pics of the rigged feathers I bought.

brand new and unused and the knot he tied..

This is what is left after the fish breaks us off. Keep in mind it's the 80lb leader that is breaking.. not the 40lb line that the reel is loaded with.. that tells me the drag is fine but something else sucks..I'm leaning towards the flurocarbon leader material or the knot..

KNOT

captkw - 6-27-2012 at 01:14 PM

HOLA, I cant make out for shure what knot he used..I/myself prefer a 2 single hooks in tandom..(better hook set) and I only use a bearing swivel !! if at all !! that is a barrel swivel (bad) if line twist,, then yes, add bearing swivel...what line do you have spooled up and is it fresh..very important in my book !! I myself run 40lb triline and tie it right to the hooks and then after running and no twist in the line. if you get twist.take off everything and run it out behind the boat for a distance and reel it back and THEN add a swevel..also when your reeling in the empty line will help teach you about line drag in the water..dorado dont need a leader !! and I troll near ANYTHING on water for dodo's...K&T

willardguy - 6-27-2012 at 01:30 PM

yup and fluorocarbon is notoriously brittle with poor knot strength. some guys even superglue the knot. dont know if that helps or not:?:

floro and braids

captkw - 6-27-2012 at 01:45 PM

when I have guest's on board the good ole mono is forgiving of lesser bluewater anglers !! STREECH can be a help and is cheap,easy to work with and most of all IT WORKS K&T

bigmike58 - 6-28-2012 at 06:45 PM

Headed out to do some trolling for dorado with the entire family today since bouyweather said it was gonna be nice and smooth... they lied again! Since it was rough we decided to hide behind the point and troll whatever smooth water we could find, no matter what the depth.

I started off my day with the breakfast of champions,

.The first hour or two were pretty nice,

Then the wind picked up and we started trolling in shallow water and my wife and daughter caught 3 dorado's.. not big, 8-10 lbs, but still fun.

My daughter yells "SOMETHING IS HITTING THE LURE" ..We see a fish making multiple attacks on a blk/red feather,

My wife grabs the rod and the fight is on!! She lands our first ever roosterfish!
It was soooooo cool!!

Pulled this flying fish out of the stomach of one dorado...

We are looking forward to tomorrows adventure!!

[Edited on 6-29-2012 by bigmike58]

big mike

captkw - 6-28-2012 at 06:58 PM

Hola, since I only fish the winters.. I have to put up with the northerns and I still catch dodos when its blowing..I just make sure that the lures run a little deeper and pop and smoke like MAD !!! also like to run figure 8's once in a while and dont troll strait all the the time.. a constant S seems in to bring to the bite better....and as a pointer get ride of those "tuna" hooks!! run 2 in tandom and razor sharpe...good hooks are priceless..like owners,,gomagotsu's (wrong spelling) some mustad's..this my thought and are open to discussion..keep in mind that I have run boats from alaska to panama with the big H islands tossed in..and I'm always open to new fishing tricks..tight lines..K & T :cool: PS..what area are ya fishing???

[Edited on 6-29-2012 by captkw]

Osprey - 6-29-2012 at 06:06 AM

KW, I'm trying hard to learn new things all the time but you have zero credibility with me on this board. You've told us you "guided on the sly" around San Jose del Cabo -- that means for money without a license to me. You've told us it kills you to pay anything to anyone anywhere -- you moved out of El Chorro because they want a few pesos to camp near a very nice place in the Laguna mountains. Your "Land of the Fee" comments tell us you'll go anywhere, suffer anything if there's no cost to you but you seem to hate this little part of Baja now, the U.S., everywhere they want you to pay your own way.

You just went to a spot near the top of my "don't read this guy's posts" list.

say what?

captkw - 6-29-2012 at 07:57 AM

Hola, ummm you got it all wrong my friend,,first off I guided,took people out fishing on the sly for many years without a proper permit..But I did not charge money!!that is your mind..but I did accept tips for gas,beer,etc.etc..I did not move out el charro for the reasons you state..I have to be back in monterey ca.for the salmon season...at 95 a hr its not very hard to leave baja with no more fresh water anymore..so think what you think..some folks just like b-tch !! are you one of those?? also sounds like your following my posts...what,,,, you enjoy bad spelling ?? AND YOU KNOW WHAT...EVEN IF I DID CHARGE MONEY WHY WOULD YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT:lol::lol: K&T PS. your making statements that I did not make!!!!!

[Edited on 6-30-2012 by captkw]

tripledigitken - 6-29-2012 at 08:12 AM

very nice hot rod, Mike!

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

The cat is a Warlock 25' bravo1 merc 454, it does 74mph gps, it would be fun in baja but not very practical so we use it at lake havasu and on the colorado mostly. Here is a pic at lake tahoe from last July.

Back to the trolling feathers.. I bought the unrigged feathers from a tackle shop and THEY offered to rig them. Since I didnt have a clue what to use I said "do whats best" and they added the leader,ball swivels, beads and double hook. I will take a picture of the dorado/sailfish trolling lure/feather whatever you wanna call it thing later today, I think I still have the broken leader that went thru the feather and was tried to the hook that still resides in the dodo's upper jaw. Time to launch..hope we get a couple nice ones today, the fishing is slow but it could bust wide open any day..

Pescador - 6-29-2012 at 08:44 AM

Okay Mike, the photos of the knot problem are good. You are breaking at the knot itself, which happens a lot with Flourocarbon. Whenever you get the little bend or twist at the end of the line, it means that you are breaking at the knot.
The guy tied you up with an improved Clinch knot, which is a terrible knot for that type of line. It will continue to break, even though your drag settings are low enough to not cause you to break 40 lb line. That means you are breaking 80 lb. line at less than 40 lb's of drag.
I would suggest you tie a single line San Diego Clinch knot which will give you at least 40% more breaking strength. If you are having a problem with that knot run up to San Bruno and I will retie them for you and show you how to do the knot properly.
One of the things we used to do in the Winter when the wind was blowing was have knot contests. Guys who think that a Palomar knot is a good knot have never put it against some of the other knots. Also we found that well tied Bimini knots did much better with only 12 wraps and Allbrights did much better with only 7 wraps.
The problem is that some lines do better than others in terms of certain knots so you really need to test any given line with a certain knot to see what it is doing. I do have some Berkley Big Game, which has proven to be the strongest in our usage here and we could redo all the lures in 80 or 100 lb. Big Game.

pescador

captkw - 6-29-2012 at 02:48 PM

HOLA< good advice !! but is the leader he is running floro?? and the improved cinch works for catfish:lol: K & T:cool:

bigmike58 - 6-29-2012 at 06:18 PM

We went out today but the winds sucked again. We spent about 15 min jigging for snapper and caught 3 good sized madrigal at the super secret snapper spot.

Mateo was able to hook into this trophy fish,

We came across a ton off birds in a feeding frenzy and trolled thru that area. We caught a 13 lb skipjack.... dorado's and sailfish are on vacation today..

Thanks agian for the help with my leader problems. Bouyweather and sailflow say sat/sun should be better.. I hope so!!

tripledigitken - 6-29-2012 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
....Guys who think that a Palomar knot is a good knot have never put it against some of the other knots.....

Pescador,

What are some of your recommended knots for <40# mono to hook application?

Ken

Pescador - 6-30-2012 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
....Guys who think that a Palomar knot is a good knot have never put it against some of the other knots.....

Pescador,

What are some of your recommended knots for <40# mono to hook application?

Ken

The best to hook connection is a Double San Diego Jam Knot with 7 turns. Make sure you wet the line to cinch down and keep the turns really flat when tying. Because of how the mono tightens into itself when it comes tight, the doubling gives extra assurance that you will not bind into the line when a fish has you close to the 40lb breaking strength. It is not the prettiest knot but it will give over 100% of breaking strength of your line.

Knots

captkw - 6-30-2012 at 04:06 PM

sport fishing mag has a great testing/survey on fishing knots and lines..great info.. K & T:cool:

bigmike58 - 7-1-2012 at 04:19 AM

Yesterday was our best day for dorado, we had a blast and hooked up on twenty or so, kept six and released the rest. Biggest was close to 20, no bulls all were hens. Sorry for the lack of pics but we had our hands full with 3 rods getting hit at the same time..

I will do a better job today on the pics..

big mike

captkw - 7-1-2012 at 06:39 AM

Hola,good on ya mate!!! is that a Mako with a mariner/merc ?? K&T:cool:

bigmike58 - 7-1-2012 at 09:06 PM

Yeah. That's my buddies mako w/mariner.

We got an early start today since we found dorado 22 miles away yesterday.

The water was nice for most of the 45 min boat ride. This shot is of us rounding Conception Point.

We started trolling and instantly caught and released a small hen dodo, About 15 min later one of the smaller reels starts singing with a sailfish. We reel in the other rods and start driving after the fish since the reel is getting spooled quick. This is my wifes first ever sailfish, only about 60 lbs but she enjoyed the fight and release.

We found some large pady's/patties? what are they called?

If you look close you can see the dorado eating the feather just after we passed one,

And my wife catching another dorado...

It was a great trip to Mulege and my family truly enjoyed the fishing and epic scenery on the sea of cortez..

paddie's=dodos

captkw - 7-1-2012 at 11:39 PM

HOLA,LOL great pics and I think your find 50 ways to spell that...I had a 23 MAKO with a RUDE 235hp in costa rica and did surf/dive/fish with her....Solid boat but with the 235 she drank like a Wino !! so,you got rid of those bad leaders?? myself,not a big floro fan..good ole mono works for me.and also black wire leader!!!..K & T :cool: PS...dorados love Their paddies's and anything else on the water!!

[Edited on 7-2-2012 by captkw]