BajaNomad

New images on Google Earth.

Hook - 6-22-2012 at 05:06 PM

There are new images of the San Carlos area on Google Earth, Google Maps, etc. Well, new to me. They were taken about 5 months ago. The previous ones were from 2007.

Check out your neighborhood over in Baja and see if it has been updated.

Santiago - 6-22-2012 at 06:32 PM

Hey, you're right, south BOLA is now updated.

David K - 6-22-2012 at 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Hey, you're right, south BOLA is now updated.

Camp Gecko on 4-4-11... are you waving Jim?

OCEANUS - 6-23-2012 at 01:01 AM

Last week, one of my students showed me the Google Earth update of Las Animas that just happened to coincide with our Marine Ecology field studylast year. We scrolled around, and you can actually see several of the student groups out doing their studies!

We plan on taking screen shots of these satellite images and incorporating them into my parent presentation I give each year.

Pretty cool...what are the chances?

Howard - 6-23-2012 at 07:05 AM

The images at my location in Loreto seems to be around 2-3 years old.

RnR - 6-23-2012 at 07:46 AM

FYI

The image date is posted on the bottom of the Google Earth screen. You can also slide the "Image History" slider back and forth to view older/newer images and see changes as they ocuured.

[Edited on 6-23-2012 by RnR]

doublelimits - 6-23-2012 at 12:05 PM

I happened to notice the same thing, you can see our boats up at the cove conducting the Reef Studies.

Quote:
Originally posted by OCEANUS
Last week, one of my students showed me the Google Earth update of Las Animas that just happened to coincide with our Marine Ecology field studylast year. We scrolled around, and you can actually see several of the student groups out doing their studies!

We plan on taking screen shots of these satellite images and incorporating them into my parent presentation I give each year.

El Jefe - 6-23-2012 at 08:35 PM

I think it's fun to wave the little street view man over a section of Baja to see which streets and dirt roads have been driven by the Google car. Kind of random in our area. Why did they go down THAT ranch road? But seems like more all the time.

CortezBlue - 6-23-2012 at 08:51 PM

San Felipe is still about 5 or 6 years old.

David K - 6-24-2012 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OCEANUS

Any ideas on the purpose of the 'mystery walls' on the hill, 2 miles from the beach? http://vivabaja.com/109 Choral Pepper with the Erle Stanley Gardner expedition in 1966 believed it was the started mission of Santa Maria Magdalena, as shown on the 1757 Jesuit map... in that region, south of L.A. Bay...??!!

vgabndo - 6-24-2012 at 02:21 PM

Please pardon a quick high jack. Google has done high resolution and street view upgrades, this year in NE Japan. It is amazing use of technology. Visit the tsunami devastation. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Neal Johns - 6-25-2012 at 10:29 AM

New images on the Pole Line Road Basketball Hill area also. Used to be hidden by clouds - now clouds have moved. :lol::lol::lol:

5 or 6 years old?

durrelllrobert - 6-25-2012 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

Father Ferdinand Konščak arrived and christened the bay San Felipe de Jesús. In 1766. That makes it 256 years old :lol::?:

David K - 6-25-2012 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

Father Ferdinand Konščak arrived and christened the bay San Felipe de Jesús. In 1766. That makes it 256 years old :lol::?:

It was even before then!

Consag's 1747 map...

Close up of San Felipe, in a copied version, 1748:

Consag died on Dec. 10, 1759.

[Edited on 6-25-2012 by David K]

Riom - 6-25-2012 at 09:04 PM

Bing Maps had a big update today. In San Felipe at least some of the images are now updated to mid/late 2011 (there's some construction shown from that time, but not all of it).

There do seem to be two series of images though, which mismatch in places: see Pete's Camp in San Felipe:
http://binged.it/Q7rCgF

It's not clear which set of images is newer, I'm guessing the lighter crisper ones showing the beach. The resolution seems to be the same.

Rob

[Edited on 2012-6-26 by Riom]

David K - 9-14-2012 at 08:56 AM

Bump for 55steve.

grace59 - 9-15-2012 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Bing Maps had a big update today. In San Felipe at least some of the images are now updated to mid/late 2011 (there's some construction shown from that time, but not all of it).

There do seem to be two series of images though, which mismatch in places: see Pete's Camp in San Felipe:
http://binged.it/Q7rCgF

It's not clear which set of images is newer, I'm guessing the lighter crisper ones showing the beach. The resolution seems to be the same.

Rob

[Edited on 2012-6-26 by Riom]

Yes, It has been updated, but the images are actually a couple of years old!! I can tell because I can finally see my house on there, but can tell that it is older because I can see where the footings for our perimeter wall are dug in...and the wall has been up for about a year and a half.