BajaNomad

otay sentri sunday morning 9:00

paul r - 8-5-2012 at 06:05 PM

two to three SECONDS!!! sweeeet!!!!

BornFisher - 8-5-2012 at 08:03 PM

Damn!! I got busted spitting on the sidewalk many years ago. Can`t get the sentri, but appreciate they have the program and more power to those who can have it and do!!

willardguy - 8-5-2012 at 08:22 PM

its a flocking travesty is what it is! denied for a thirty year old misdomeanor and all the accolades in the world dont count for chit!:fire:
okay I feel better now;D

sancho - 8-8-2012 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Damn!! I got busted spitting on the sidewalk many years ago. Can`t get the sentri

I understand one MAY be able to get some arrests
taken off, anyone know of a place/site to view one's
own record before applying for Sentri? Can one view
the same info that the Sentri people will have access to?
I believe the info state any arrests are reason to deny
I think I was 16, detained for firecrackers

bajaguy - 8-8-2012 at 05:12 PM

SENTRI regs state they "may" deny.

I would go to your nearest law enforcement agency and ask how you can get a criminal records check on yourself. may cost a few $$$.

Or you could apply for SENTRI and appeal the decision. If it was a minor offense, you may win the decision...........at least it would tell you where the problem is and you can take steps to expunge the record or have it removed from the record.

I know someone who was issued a citation in 1985 for a minor offense, went to court and paid a fine. When they applied for SENTRI, they checked with the Sheriff's office and the court...........neither had any records of the event. They did not list it on their SENTRI application and the SENTRI was approved.

YMMV

EDIT: I believe the SENTRI background check includes automated checks of various federal agency databases and NCIC check; your state specific CJIS (Criminal Justice Information System) and state DMV for violations, vehicle reqistration and drivers license.

[Edited on 8-9-2012 by bajaguy]

woody with a view - 8-8-2012 at 08:12 PM

so an expunged record (over 16 years since the initial unqualifying event) qualifies someone?

i spent an hour at otay today and it was stupid how slow they go. it seems like every other car was sent thru the x-ray machine (we were fortunate to have missed that joyous experience!) and it created a back up into the drive away lanes. i hate the border.:fire:

bajaguy - 8-8-2012 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
so an expunged record (over 16 years since the initial unqualifying event) qualifies someone?

Don't know, Woody......it's a case by case basis.....all you can do is try, although if'n it was me, I would try and and get my criminal history printout(s) and see if there were any "problem areas". I believe the SENTRI application states ANY arrests/convictions (I think).

You would have to list it then explain the expungement in the comments section.

woody with a view - 8-8-2012 at 08:42 PM

i'll save my $....

Lee - 8-8-2012 at 08:45 PM

$122 to apply to find out SENTRI doesn't have to give you an explanation for declining an application? Yup. Appeal? 1 in 1,000.

bajario - 8-8-2012 at 09:09 PM

An arrest and conviction doesn't disqualify you. I'm living proof. And I'll be honest there's more than one line item on my application.

3 minutes at SY last Sunday at 10am.

Lee - 8-9-2012 at 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajario
An arrest and conviction doesn't disqualify you. I'm living proof. And I'll be honest there's more than one line item on my application.

Details of your arrest and conviction will provide proof of what you're writing. Wanna share?

Your unique situation would be the exception, not the rule.

What was discussed at your hearing?

bajaguy - 8-9-2012 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Details of your arrest and conviction will provide proof of what you're writing. Wanna share?

I don't think Bajano needs to "prove" anything, and each situation is specific to that person or event.........oh, and it's an interview, not a hearing. I too know of individuals who have obtained a SENTRI after past indescretions......

paul r - 8-9-2012 at 08:14 AM

if you cross on a "regular" bases, it's a great "tool", it's not brain surgery, fill out the forms, it's important to fill it out honestly, wait, if denied, keep "winding" through the maze, reapply, if you have questions or get confussed, learn to "use the office" at otay, it's "dmv-ish", but surely if you want something you can figure it out, right?... the folks working these chitty jobs are over worked and under paid, so if you are willing and pleasant you most likely will succeed... I know this, because I'm a jerk with a record!... it took me three tries and 18 months, but it was well worth the effort!... be nice...

San Ysidro SENTRI Office

bajaguy - 8-9-2012 at 08:20 AM

A little known/used office is the walk-up location in San Ysidro at the end of the trolly line. Not advertised in the SENTRI locations. Great staff and very helpful.

Lee - 8-9-2012 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

I don't think Bajano needs to "prove" anything, and each situation is specific to that person or event.........oh, and it's an interview, not a hearing. I too know of individuals who have obtained a SENTRI after past indescretions......

That's right-- Bajario can make any claim he wants, no matter how provocative, and I can ask for proof of what he's writing about.

Is that a problem?

Every arrest and conviction is different -- is Bajario stating he has been arrested and convicted of something?

Having first hand information vs. hearing about ''indiscretions'' is apples/oranges.

Anyone stating they can wear SENTRI down by pestering them doesn't know what they're writing about.

bajaguy - 8-9-2012 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

That's right-- Bajario can make any claim he wants, no matter how provocative, and I can ask for proof of what he's writing about.

Is that a problem?

Every arrest and conviction is different -- is Bajario stating he has been arrested and convicted of something?

Having first hand information vs. hearing about ''indiscretions'' is apples/oranges.

Anyone stating they can wear SENTRI down by pestering them doesn't know what they're writing about.

Do you really enjoy being confrontational?????

I have no reason to doubt Bajario or paulr......and that is first hand information.

It seems that you have an ax to grind against the SENTRI process........care to explain that.......maybe some of your "first hand information"..........

Myself and others know how to work the system, sorry you are closed minded.

bajario - 8-9-2012 at 12:02 PM

I'm not divulging details of my wild youth for the world to read. If you really that interested you can U2U me and I'll let you know so you can see where you might be comparatively. But yes, I was arrested and convicted of some things. Which I listed to the best of my memory (details, dates) that I could. I will say there were no felony convictions.
Figured there was no reason to hide what they're going to find anyway. Didn't even come up at the interview. You can't be denied if you don't apply.

willardguy - 8-9-2012 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Damn!! I got busted spitting on the sidewalk many years ago. Can`t get the sentri

I understand one MAY be able to get some arrests
taken off, anyone know of a place/site to view one's
good point sancho,having the same info the sentri is looking at sure would be helpful. no reason to struggle trying to remember dates and incidents that happened 30 or 40 years ago.
the online criminal search sites seem to be sketchy and certainly not free like they claim. and for many of us its just not possible to go knock on the door of our hometown courthouse.
anyone have success with the online route?

Lee - 8-9-2012 at 03:02 PM

Quote:

I have no reason to doubt Bajario or paulr......and that is first hand information.

It seems that you have an ax to grind against the SENTRI process........care to explain that.......maybe some of your "first hand information"..........

I'm not questioning the truthfulness of what Bajario has written -- maybe I'm using the wrong choice of words.

I simply want more information about how an arrest and conviction can still qualify for a SENTRI pass. I'll take it up U2U with him.

I have no personal dealings with SENTRI and don't cross enough to warrant one. For those having one, it's a nice benefit.

If my tone has come across as confrontational, it wasn't meant to be.

woody with a view - 8-9-2012 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
anyone know of a place/site to view one's

you need to go see the Po-Po in every city/town/hovel you MAY have got convicted in. they will have records. it still might have a $ sign attached to it. if you've only lived in one place it makes $ sense. if not, find a cop friend who can pull your NCIC and go from there.....

Lee - 8-10-2012 at 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paul r
...... if you are willing and pleasant you most likely will succeed... I know this, because I'm a jerk with a record!... it took me three tries and 18 months, but it was well worth the effort!... be nice...

How are you a jerk with a record? Arrest and conviction? u2u me if you are shy about going public.

You guys know how to ''work the system'' according to bajaguy.

My mind is open.

[Edited on 8-10-2012 by Lee]

surfer jim - 8-10-2012 at 09:34 AM

...the "court hearings" for BAJA NOMAD, to see if you qualify , will be much harder than the SENTRI process....:biggrin:

paul r - 8-10-2012 at 04:39 PM

lee here's the short version... in 2004, yep 2004, we decided to apply... for us it was a good option because we live in central calif. and after clearing the border, we still had a 9 hr. drive home... so we applied and lied about our DUIs, rejected, waited 90 days reapplied told the truth, rejected... my understanding was that after 7 years the offences were taken off your record, wrong, in california you must pay and petition to have this type of violation removed... I started to come up to speed with this, but I was enjoying life to much and just dropped the ball... fast forward to 2009, the wait time was becoming a true headache... so we reapplied, rejected... again we make the trip once or twice a month, so I decided to "get to the bottom of it"... we got our paperwork in order and I simply stopped at otay, (we always crossed at SY), walked in and ask to talk to an agent about my case... the place was packed!... the nice lady said you"ll have to wait... I knew this was going to happen, so I had my reading material and, waited... about an hour later my number came up and a decent fellow took me in a room and I told him all that I'm telling you, he listened asked not one question and at the end said "reapply", I'll admit I was disappointed, but left and reapplied... two weeks after renewing, yep conditional approval!... a date was set for an interview, (we changed it twice), had all our "ducks in a row", and bingo two weeks later the SENTRI CARD... not to go over board, but for us it's todo bueno!!!!, now I'm not sure whether the stars aligned or what, but... we use the cards at airports that have the "global express" thingy going on... lee, it's a roll of the dice, but for us it's cielo!!!... good luck... paul

Lee - 8-10-2012 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
lee here's the short version... paul

Wow you're amazing. Your persistence paid off. Good job, and thanks for sharing that. I was thinking something like j-walking but your story is a bit more serious. Yeah I think don't lie 'cuz they'll catch you. Then it's not good.

bajaguy - 8-12-2012 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

I'm not questioning the truthfulness of what Bajario has written -- maybe I'm using the wrong choice of words.

I simply want more information about how an arrest and conviction can still qualify for a SENTRI pass. I'll take it up U2U with him.

I have no personal dealings with SENTRI and don't cross enough to warrant one. For those having one, it's a nice benefit.

If my tone has come across as confrontational, it wasn't meant to be.

Lee.........I may have been having a bad morning (recovering from surgery)........all is well, and it seems like you got the info..........sorry if I came across too strong.

paul r - 8-12-2012 at 08:53 PM

lee... san clemente is a beautiful place... we stop at captain mauri's, comimg and going, it's on del mar next to the small hobies shop ... you are a lucky puppy!!!

BajaBlanca - 8-13-2012 at 09:02 AM

didn't know about the global express advantage ....

Lee - 8-13-2012 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
lee... san clemente is a beautiful place... we stop at captain mauri's, comimg and going, it's on del mar next to the small hobies shop ... you are a lucky puppy!!!

Paul -- It's true. SC is happening, and, The Captain too, and 'Nofre and miles and miles of breaks. SLO is right up there. Got close friends there.

Hey bajaguy -- no problemo amigo. I need to choose my words carefully. Think my Spanish is getting better, English is getting worse.

Speedy recovery. Post-surgery isn't easy.