BajaNomad

# 1 Revenue Earner Baja California

DavidE - 8-7-2012 at 04:02 PM

What is the number one money earning industry in Baja California?

MMc - 8-7-2012 at 04:10 PM

Drug and people exporting!!!!

durrelllrobert - 8-7-2012 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Drug and people exporting!!!!

True but not a choice in poll, Also does not benefit the Baja Government and in fact cost them a large percentage of their revenues.

DavidE - 8-8-2012 at 09:12 AM

"Bimp"

(Jacques Clouseau)

DENNIS - 8-8-2012 at 09:38 AM

Perhaps farming should be a choice. All types of farming.

David K - 8-8-2012 at 09:41 AM

Why is this a poll?

Is this the entire peninsula or the state of 'Baja California'?

Pescador - 8-8-2012 at 09:43 AM

Baja California stops at the State Line just before Guerrero Negro, so he must be referring to North of the line.

DavidE - 8-8-2012 at 10:05 AM

The México federal government called it "Baja California" but mentioned Tijuana and Los Cabos included in the study. Let's throw FARMING and AGRICULTURE under REAL ESTATE category. I blew it and did not list it. But save your disdain until after the results of the study have been revealed. There have been only 20 responses so far.

Skipjack Joe - 8-8-2012 at 10:08 AM

I'm embarassed to say that I voted for real estate. The only one.

DavidE - 8-8-2012 at 10:41 AM

Spjack Joe,

Why are you embarrassed? IMHO Baja California property is -Priceless- !!!

805gregg - 8-8-2012 at 06:47 PM

What about drugs and kidnapping?

Russ - 8-8-2012 at 07:13 PM

What about mordida?

DavidE - 8-10-2012 at 02:33 PM

Mineral mining (remember the gypsum mine on Isla Sn Marcos and the salt works in Guerrero Negro?) brings in almost half again as much money as tourism, followed by ag, then closely by maquiladoras. Maquiladora profits like their product are mostly exported. Commercial fishing didn't even make the cut nor did real estate. Fly-in tourism according to the same study brought in eleven times as much money in 2011 as overland tourism. Must be those 300 dollar hotel rooms and eight dollar margaritas down in Cabo San Lucas.

Interesting, but questionable

thebajarunner - 8-10-2012 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Mineral mining (remember the gypsum mine on Isla Sn Marcos and the salt works in Guerrero Negro?) brings in almost half again as much money as tourism, followed by ag, then closely by maquiladoras. Maquiladora profits like their product are mostly exported. Commercial fishing didn't even make the cut nor did real estate. Fly-in tourism according to the same study brought in eleven times as much money in 2011 as overland tourism. Must be those 300 dollar hotel rooms and eight dollar margaritas down in Cabo San Lucas.

Minerals will no doubt be big on the scale.
But, I question the "11 times more on fly-in" notion.
I suspect that they are tracking the dollars that flow through the higher profile resorts, etc.
But nothing there would match the magnitude of the drive across dollars spent on gas, groceries, cafes, licores, etc.
Not to mention the small motels, curios, medical monies spent around the border. Those would be difficult to quantify, but would far outstrip the fly-in bucks, IMO.
I know that every year a dozen of us go down for ten days in the early spring, our El Fi$cal doles out about $5000 US bucks for our costs, we only spend one or two nights in a place like Meling, the rest camped out. We spend a lot at Pemex, taco shops, small cafes, cervezerias, panga rentals, etc. etc..
None of this would show as "tourism" but these kinds of travelers far outnumber the fly folks.
My guess is that just tourist money spent in TJ-Ensenada would exceed all the bucks spent in Cabo, etc.

durrelllrobert - 8-10-2012 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
I was one of the 6 that voted for mineral mining. What do I get?

DavidE - 8-10-2012 at 05:10 PM

This isn't my report. I thought it would be interesting to post a survey performed by the Mexican government. In that survey it is revealed what they think is influencing the economy. Myself I can only hope when I spend money in a smaller tourist town it makes a difference. Apparently the government thinks big resort big money carries more weight. What it may boil down to, is that mining and big resorts line big pockets of government big wheels. ¿Quien Sabe?

Bob and Susan - 8-11-2012 at 04:08 AM

Quote:
What it may boil down to, is that mining and big resorts line big pockets of government big wheels. ¿Quien Sabe?

that's not true...mining and big resorts provide jobs...

jobs are important

windgrrl - 8-11-2012 at 05:43 AM

Tourism does seem to be an important sector of the economy and it seems to be growing. There is an amazing amount of daily plane traffic to SJD and it seems like it has increased. Most of the passengers head to the hotels for a 1-2 week stay. Celebrities have re-discovered it, too. I used to have to get a map out to show where the East Cape is and now most people recognize the location of Cabo.

Some source mentioned that Cabo is the most expensive tourist area of Mexico and the luxurious amenities that attract folks seem to reflect that. These visitors are sometimes surprised to hear there other parts of Baja exist outside of Cabo. As for the mining...that would be my second choice judging by the mining company activity lately.

[Edited on 8-11-2012 by windgrrl]

DavidE - 8-11-2012 at 11:45 AM

Bob y Susan,

Tambien la mordida. Ever hear of Wal-Mart? Outrageous bribery? What IS true is how the Méxican government sees things. It is called an "Is". Anything else is an "Ought To Be".

The poll was meant to show how DF sees things. Not how you, I, or anyone else see things in their relative importance.

During the LdLM administration just as CSdG was about to assume the helm, the government published a piece about what is important to Mexico. "Bring them in, strip them of their money, and send them home happy" was the gist of the tome. Money spent per day. Dollar gained per peso needed for infrastructure support. México's Harvard educated Technocrats have just as cruel an eye for cold hard cash as Leona Helmsley ever did.

Land tourism plays a very small part at least as far as extraneous tourists are concerned. The lure of air-supported "Los Cabos" has kept the southern half of the peninsula from drying up and blowing away. Mex 1 is being improved to support Los Cabos infrastructure, not fishing in Loreto, or palm frond palapas on bahia coyote. The other influence is the salt works. "AND" San Marcos gets ninety percent of what it needs by ship.

[Edited on 8-11-2012 by DavidE]

Cypress - 8-11-2012 at 12:43 PM

Anything that translates into a paycheck, fishing, farming, tourists, you name it. Fishing and farming aren't looking too good. Tourists?;D

Bob and Susan - 8-11-2012 at 12:44 PM

i thought san marcos isla was mining gypsm...

and in guerrero negro they had the big salt mine

in santa rosalia...copper

still its not about mordida anymore...that is "old school"
the "new kids" are educated and professional

you are living with a view of the past world...today is 2012

Marc - 8-11-2012 at 02:00 PM

Mordida. (corruption)

[Edited on 8-11-2012 by Marc]

DavidE - 8-11-2012 at 02:25 PM

Sta Rosalia is still fumbling around trying to figure out if they can make that deposit profitable. The issue includes one of "too expensive to ship raw ore" versus "how do we manufacture an efficient copper smelter?" That arroyo was horrible in the 1960's -- it must have been hell-on-earth when the smelter was going full bore. Lighters? Barges? Smelting copper is a big operation to produce huge crude ingots.

Of course the tens of millions in mordida that Wal-Mart is accused of paying is all framed under a typographical error. It should read 1912, not 2012, right?

Spend a little bit of evening time and watch a movie "La Ley de Herodes". If you think the peso is strong four months before a new sexenio and partidad takes over, because the sun, moon and planets are aligned right, then yeah your vision of a mordida free Mexico fits. Pesos would then not be flooding out of the country and into Swiss, Belgian, Turk & Caicos, Bahamian bank accounts as dolar deposits. Raul Salinas DID make wise investments and end up with 300 million dollars in Swiss bank accounts, and Chanecos really do sing to the unwary in the forests.

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2012 at 04:09 PM

Quote:

sounds like they could lose the offroad racing without feeling it economically :)

DavidE - 8-11-2012 at 04:39 PM

That would serve to pound a wooden stake in their macho heart. How much money does the federal government subsidize the off-road races with? The racing teams I glanced at trailered everything in from car, to tools, spares, fuel, room and board. I have talked with several fly-in groups and found they can spend three thousand dollars in four days per couple. Easy. Fancy hotel room, charter fishing, australian lobster tail, ten dollar margaritas. What are the greens fees now for a round of golf?

David K - 8-11-2012 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

sounds like they could lose the offroad racing without feeling it economically :)

Just one thing you forget... THE PEOPLE want off road racing, that is the Mexican people of Baja California (both states).

DENNIS - 8-11-2012 at 04:48 PM

# 1 Revenue Earner Baja California

Panhandling

David K - 8-11-2012 at 05:24 PM

How you feeling Dennis...? You sure had us worrying about you!

DavidE - 8-11-2012 at 05:38 PM

Favorite Tee Shirt

WILL NOT WORK FOR ANYTHING!

DENNIS - 8-11-2012 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How you feeling Dennis...? You sure had us worrying about you!

Still breathing, David. They say that counts for something.
Anyway.....I see improvement through my efforts to repair my left side. I think I'll be walking, with a quad cane, before too long. I can do that now, but it ain't as pretty as I would like it to be.
All in all....I'm doing fine.
Thanks for asking.

Curt63 - 8-11-2012 at 06:08 PM

Chicle sales?

durrelllrobert - 8-11-2012 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Favorite Tee Shirt

WILL NOT WORK FOR ANYTHING!

Not meaning to hijack this thread but at least mine is honest.:lol:

[Edited on 8-12-2012 by durrelllrobert]

norte - 8-11-2012 at 07:46 PM

Even when the government says minerals, the tourists (Nomads) still think it is their $ that run Mexico. I'll bet that for the majority of Baja people, there is very little economy from tourism.