BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: # 1 Revenue Earner Baja California
Commercial Fishing --- 2 (4.76%)
Maquiladora Manufacturing --- 15 (35.71%)
Minerals --- 7 (16.67%)
Tourism --- 17 (40.48%)
Real Estate --- 1 (2.38%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: # 1 Revenue Earner Baja California
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 04:02 PM
# 1 Revenue Earner Baja California

What is the number one money earning industry in Baja California?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 04:10 PM

Drug and people exporting!!!!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Drug and people exporting!!!!

True but not a choice in poll, Also does not benefit the Baja Government and in fact cost them a large percentage of their revenues.

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 09:12 AM

"Bimp"

(Jacques Clouseau)

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 09:38 AM

Perhaps farming should be a choice. All types of farming.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 09:41 AM

Why is this a poll?

Is this the entire peninsula or the state of 'Baja California'?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 09:43 AM

Baja California stops at the State Line just before Guerrero Negro, so he must be referring to North of the line.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:05 AM

The México federal government called it "Baja California" but mentioned Tijuana and Los Cabos included in the study. Let's throw FARMING and AGRICULTURE under REAL ESTATE category. I blew it and did not list it. But save your disdain until after the results of the study have been revealed. There have been only 20 responses so far.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:08 AM

I'm embarassed to say that I voted for real estate. The only one.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 10:41 AM

Spjack Joe,

Why are you embarrassed? IMHO Baja California property is -Priceless- !!!

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 06:47 PM

What about drugs and kidnapping?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 07:13 PM

What about mordida?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 02:33 PM

Mineral mining (remember the gypsum mine on Isla Sn Marcos and the salt works in Guerrero Negro?) brings in almost half again as much money as tourism, followed by ag, then closely by maquiladoras. Maquiladora profits like their product are mostly exported. Commercial fishing didn't even make the cut nor did real estate. Fly-in tourism according to the same study brought in eleven times as much money in 2011 as overland tourism. Must be those 300 dollar hotel rooms and eight dollar margaritas down in Cabo San Lucas.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 03:16 PM
Interesting, but questionable

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Mineral mining (remember the gypsum mine on Isla Sn Marcos and the salt works in Guerrero Negro?) brings in almost half again as much money as tourism, followed by ag, then closely by maquiladoras. Maquiladora profits like their product are mostly exported. Commercial fishing didn't even make the cut nor did real estate. Fly-in tourism according to the same study brought in eleven times as much money in 2011 as overland tourism. Must be those 300 dollar hotel rooms and eight dollar margaritas down in Cabo San Lucas.

Minerals will no doubt be big on the scale.
But, I question the "11 times more on fly-in" notion.
I suspect that they are tracking the dollars that flow through the higher profile resorts, etc.
But nothing there would match the magnitude of the drive across dollars spent on gas, groceries, cafes, licores, etc.
Not to mention the small motels, curios, medical monies spent around the border. Those would be difficult to quantify, but would far outstrip the fly-in bucks, IMO.
I know that every year a dozen of us go down for ten days in the early spring, our El Fi$cal doles out about $5000 US bucks for our costs, we only spend one or two nights in a place like Meling, the rest camped out. We spend a lot at Pemex, taco shops, small cafes, cervezerias, panga rentals, etc. etc..
None of this would show as "tourism" but these kinds of travelers far outnumber the fly folks.
My guess is that just tourist money spent in TJ-Ensenada would exceed all the bucks spent in Cabo, etc.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
I was one of the 6 that voted for mineral mining. What do I get?

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 05:10 PM

This isn't my report. I thought it would be interesting to post a survey performed by the Mexican government. In that survey it is revealed what they think is influencing the economy. Myself I can only hope when I spend money in a smaller tourist town it makes a difference. Apparently the government thinks big resort big money carries more weight. What it may boil down to, is that mining and big resorts line big pockets of government big wheels. ¿Quien Sabe?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 04:08 AM

Quote:
What it may boil down to, is that mining and big resorts line big pockets of government big wheels. ¿Quien Sabe?

that's not true...mining and big resorts provide jobs...

jobs are important

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 05:43 AM

Tourism does seem to be an important sector of the economy and it seems to be growing. There is an amazing amount of daily plane traffic to SJD and it seems like it has increased. Most of the passengers head to the hotels for a 1-2 week stay. Celebrities have re-discovered it, too. I used to have to get a map out to show where the East Cape is and now most people recognize the location of Cabo.

Some source mentioned that Cabo is the most expensive tourist area of Mexico and the luxurious amenities that attract folks seem to reflect that. These visitors are sometimes surprised to hear there other parts of Baja exist outside of Cabo. As for the mining...that would be my second choice judging by the mining company activity lately.

[Edited on 8-11-2012 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 11:45 AM

Bob y Susan,

Tambien la mordida. Ever hear of Wal-Mart? Outrageous bribery? What IS true is how the Méxican government sees things. It is called an "Is". Anything else is an "Ought To Be".

The poll was meant to show how DF sees things. Not how you, I, or anyone else see things in their relative importance.

During the LdLM administration just as CSdG was about to assume the helm, the government published a piece about what is important to Mexico. "Bring them in, strip them of their money, and send them home happy" was the gist of the tome. Money spent per day. Dollar gained per peso needed for infrastructure support. México's Harvard educated Technocrats have just as cruel an eye for cold hard cash as Leona Helmsley ever did.

Land tourism plays a very small part at least as far as extraneous tourists are concerned. The lure of air-supported "Los Cabos" has kept the southern half of the peninsula from drying up and blowing away. Mex 1 is being improved to support Los Cabos infrastructure, not fishing in Loreto, or palm frond palapas on bahia coyote. The other influence is the salt works. "AND" San Marcos gets ninety percent of what it needs by ship.

[Edited on 8-11-2012 by DavidE]

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 12:43 PM

Anything that translates into a paycheck, fishing, farming, tourists, you name it. Fishing and farming aren't looking too good. Tourists?;D
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.