BajaNomad

Wandering Up & Down Baja

Ateo - 8-12-2012 at 07:59 PM

I awoke in a hotel room in Downtown Los Angeles. It was 4 A.M.

Knowing I didn't need to get up till about 7AM - but also knowing I was leaving for Baja the second I got my work done, I pounded some coffee and started my day.

I made it home to San Diego around noon and my wife notified me the truck was packed. We we're off.

Crossing the border we got pulled into secondary (like always) probably 'cuz the truck was weighed down and the tinted back shell. Oh well, the agent waved me thru.

I was in a haze (having woken up at 4AM) and was thinking deep about the fences that divide our beautiful countries.

The Ensenada Flag:

We pulled off the road to let the dogs take a pee, just prior to arriving at Jardines. My wife called Jardines on the way down and we secured the last dog friendly room. Stoked. $40-- or something like that -- with the dog fee.

We headed to the Old Mill for dinner but it was packed. Wait was over an hour for food as there was a wedding going on -- so we headed back to Jardines for a great meal -- as always.

The next day we bailed to Punta Abreojos. This is one of my favorite stretches in all of Mexico:

Shiny bike seen in Guerrero Negro:

Can you tell this is a surf spot? The flies arrived in my truck as I opened the door to take this picture, and they didn't stop infiltrating the truck till we arrived in La Bocana. No, I don't work for the tourism board in Bocana. =)

Reading materials or kindling? You be the judge. Come on, you can take a joke right?

The gas station attendant in Vizcaino accidentally broke my extra 5 gallon gas can cap, resulting in gas spilling all over our ice chest. The gasoline melted shut the lid on one of 'em, and we (my strong wife) had to pry it open with a screwdriver. All of our fruits and veggies we're contaminated. Maybe that was payback for me bringing that reading material/kindling mentioned above.

Here's my wife inspecting the food for MTBE, Benzene, Toluene, and Xylene:

End of day waves still rolling in.......

My wife made the best ribs for dinner. Always nice 600 miles south of the border. We ate the entire rack of ribs and the potatoes were the bomb. A little sour cream and sriracha and we were good to go.

After sunset we stayed up, sipping mixed drinks, watching the moon rise over the cloudy horizon, and talking about the Mars Rover (which landed a few MINUTES earlier - I found out thru a text. Who knew you could get a text in Abre? I didn't). The Rover was up there -- in that sky -- on a rock -- orbiting the sun. We sent it there to examine the Past and the Present. Pretty impressive for our Species. From Downtown LA to Mars in 1 day.

More to follow as I get time........I meet some Nomads, and see the beautiful towns of La Bocana, Bahia Asuncion, and Bahia De Los Angeles.

-Ateo

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by Ateo]

woody with a view - 8-12-2012 at 08:08 PM

looks fun! looks like the dogs were stoked on the extra brats?

Ateo - 8-12-2012 at 08:22 PM

Woody, yeah, we went a little crazy on the brats, only having 2 people. We did cook some for the perros.......They were in the 3rd tiny ice chest that didn't get any gas issues -- we ended up hooking BajaBlanca and Les up with 8 Jalapeno cheese filled brats, as we were done camping and couldn't bring back across the border.

[Edited on 8-13-2012 by Ateo]

Curt63 - 8-12-2012 at 08:22 PM

Ya buddy. Im frothing keep em comin

Ateo - 8-12-2012 at 09:03 PM

Curt63: I have some Campo Rene stuff in the next post. Thanks.

shari - 8-12-2012 at 09:43 PM

I'm lovin your photos man...retro dude.

Ateo - 8-12-2012 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I'm lovin your photos man...retro dude.

Those retro pics are all Lucy.............more to follow.

TMW - 8-13-2012 at 06:57 AM

Excellent, thanks.

DENNIS - 8-13-2012 at 07:12 AM

MAS MAS MAS

David K - 8-13-2012 at 08:10 AM

Thank you Ateo!

bajadock - 8-13-2012 at 08:47 AM

nice trip report and photos, ateo, thank you!

Pacifico - 8-13-2012 at 08:55 AM

Wanting more! What's with all the flies in Abre?

BajaBlanca - 8-13-2012 at 03:42 PM

nice photos .... good job Lucy ! Nice writing Ateo. Abre is famous for its flies ..... having never camped there, I can't attest to it but enough people have written about them that I believe 'em.

Ateo - 8-13-2012 at 07:55 PM

Day 3 brought new adventure and a beautiful sunrise.

We decided to head to Campo Rene on Curt63's suggestion and we weren't let down. Tons of stuff over there to do, and a unique Baja ecological environment in my opinion. We didn't eat or do anything at Campo Rene proper, but chose to explore the sand dunes and estuary outflow. Tons of wildlife everywhere.

Still waves....

Unfortunately we didn't get more photos of Rene proper, but we were too busy having fun to pull the camera out.

The surrounding area is littered with empty beaches. No one around. It would be a perfect place to go skinny dipping -- if that's your idea of fun. Me - I'm a prude. =)

More fun:

Then I headed for a surf:

Of course the only photo my wife snapped in this session was me not making a section (sorry honey):

Of course there were other waves to surf during this swell. Don't fall here. You could really hurt yourself.

What do you do after catching a crap load of waves? Eat fish tacos at Juanitas. A place that deserves to be promoted:

On our way back to camp we noticed some Underground Storage Tank (UST) testing going on at the Pemex in town. Being that I know a little something about this, I turned around and asked the guys if I could take some pictures and take a look. They were rightfully suspicious, but agreed after my wife's request.

This station has all the newest technology -- basically on par with the most current and strictest California regulations. I'd say it would be safer than 90% of the stations in California. Double walled tanks. Hydrostatically monitored double walled sumps and under dispenser containment -- all monitored continuously. The groundwater (if there is any) in Abre won't be getting contaminated by a leaking tank anytime soon!!!! This was a tight system. Sorry I didn't get more pictures -- I was too busy talking and in awe.

After tacos and gas stations I was exhausted. So were the dogs.

And more meat for dinner:

After that it was good night. More to follow...................Blanca and Shari are on deck.

[Edited on 8-14-2012 by Ateo]

Curt63 - 8-13-2012 at 08:22 PM

Great stuff! Great pics Thanks

Ateo - 8-13-2012 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Great stuff! Great pics Thanks

Curt, Let me thank YOU sir. If not for your guidance I wouldn't have ventured out...........I would've been flojo and stayed at Abre.

jbcoug - 8-13-2012 at 08:46 PM

Thanks for your great report and pictures, love them. Also love your doggies. That's a tight pair, at play and at rest.

John

Marc - 8-13-2012 at 09:56 PM

Great report. I may get that way later this year.

David K - 8-13-2012 at 11:39 PM

Fun reading your report, as you were just a week or so behind me at Abreojos, etc. First thing I noticed coming into town was the brand new, not open, Pemex.

BajaBlanca - 8-14-2012 at 08:26 AM

love the pics of the dogs .... so cute their sleeping side by side !

campo rene is one of those special places ... and well worth a meal as well ... we have friends who stay there every year, thru the summer, for 3 months escaping the Bay of LA heat. swimming - beaches - BBQs - they even have internet.

next time we shall have to plan for the cave paintings, an overnight along the path the Indians used and of course, you have to visit Puerto Nuevo.

so much to do !

Ateo - 8-14-2012 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
love the pics of the dogs .... so cute their sleeping side by side !

campo rene is one of those special places ... and well worth a meal as well ... we have friends who stay there every year, thru the summer, for 3 months escaping the Bay of LA heat. swimming - beaches - BBQs - they even have internet.

next time we shall have to plan for the cave paintings, an overnight along the path the Indians used and of course, you have to visit Puerto Nuevo.

so much to do !

Sounds like a plan!

Ateo - 8-14-2012 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
Thanks for your great report and pictures, love them. Also love your doggies. That's a tight pair, at play and at rest.

John

Yes, they are very close. It's cool. The small one sleeps on top of the big one sometimes.

Stickers - 8-14-2012 at 02:15 PM

Great report and very creative photos!
I was wondering if you saw any aircraft at Campo Rene. I'm curious if their airstrip is active?

Ateo - 8-14-2012 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
I was wondering if you saw any aircraft at Campo Rene. I'm curious if their airstrip is active?

The airstrip looked like it was in good shape and I'd guess it's active. However I didn't see a single plane anywhere, except for the Abreojos strip which had takeoffs and landings occurring.

Ateo - 8-18-2012 at 04:01 PM

Day 4:

Woke up to more surf. Size was still the same as yesterday.

We decided to head to La Bocana and visit Blanca and Les. The salt flat road out there is awesome. Only took 15 minutes from Abreojos.

We arrived in La Bocana and I used instinct to find Blanca's Bed and Breakfast. Just look for the place in her avatar! We were just in time for lunch - even though we had a lunch packed we couldn't turn down her Brazilian Chicken Stroganoff (that was the name right Blanca?), veggies, cole slaw, and rice. IT WAS EPIC, and I didn't know this lunch was to help raise $$$ for the school kids trip to London next year!! Sorry Blanca, I didn't donate any cash!

Anyways, somehow during lunch I obtained the large serving spoon and was using it to shovel loads of food into my pie hole. Les noticed and gave everyone a good laugh at my expense. I was even redder than usual -- blushing like crazy!

We also got to meet another Nomad -- Bobby (don't know his screen name) and his wife(?) Wendy. They were super cool and we felt we bonded with them instantly. They were escaping the La Paz heat, and headed for San Juanico. Hope they made it!

After lunch, Blanca gave us a tour of La Bocana. It was like the president giving you a tour of Washington DC. -- she knew town quite well.

Abalone Farm

Panga launch.

Local Catholic Church w/new tall steeple.

Blanca's cactus garden. The back yard was awesome too (check David K's report for photos).

More Blanca's B&B:

After the tour we decided to check out La Bocanita Beach:

We scheduled a dinner at Joaquin's and bailed back to Abre for some ice cream and a razor.

More to follow..................when I get time. Had a great time in La Bocana!! Next time we're staying at the B&B.

Ateo - 8-18-2012 at 04:17 PM

Day 5:

SUNRISE!!!

Scorpions were everywhere..............here was tiny bugger:

Dead Dolphin

Extraction for mi ninos.

Back to La Bocana for dinner at Joaquin's. Don't know what to say about this except it was quite possibly the best meal I've ever eaten in Mexico. Great conversation (although I need to get better with my Spanish), great company (Blanca y Les, Co-Op president, Co-Op inspectors, and a few more that wandered by. I won't forget this meal.

We drove the salt flats back, in the dark, very carefully and with full stomachs.

woody with a view - 8-18-2012 at 04:47 PM

very nice! awesome surf for days, good people around every turn, and a store that sells canned good stuff!!!!;)

good times.

Ateo - 8-18-2012 at 04:59 PM

Yeah Woody. I bought you a can of Jurel, but I really don't want to part with it........:lol::lol::lol:

vgabndo - 8-18-2012 at 06:18 PM

My new pal "Cholo" in LB set me up with half a dozen cans of both the smoked and the marinated. We bought several more. Around here the cans are opened for special occasions only. The canned Bonita is good too. And the frozen lobster....and...and...:lol:

Ateo - 8-18-2012 at 09:13 PM

I got some of the Bonita too............haven't tried it yet. Also bought a $8.00 can of something that I don't remember what the heck it is. Snails?

Will advise once I open.

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
My new pal "Cholo" in LB set me up with half a dozen cans of both the smoked and the marinated. We bought several more. Around here the cans are opened for special occasions only. The canned Bonita is good too. And the frozen lobster....and...and...:lol:

vivaloha - 8-19-2012 at 05:20 AM

So many good times - meals, waves, friends, dog fun, rugged drives,
Rootsy and rad trip!

woody with a view - 8-19-2012 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Also bought a $8.00 can of something that I don't remember what the heck it is. Snails?

must be the caracol. it is pretty damn good also. tell mama to run and hide when you open the can. it has a certain afrodeesiac quality about it!:lol:

BajaBlanca - 8-19-2012 at 08:52 AM

wow ! very nice photos and the lunch was for you two from me ! When the lunch is part of the teen thing THEY prepare it LOL

we ate at Joaquin's again last night and it was so great - we had black sea bass that he himself had caught, his famous salad and even more famous home made creamed corn. Oh my gosh ... we rolled out of the restaurant. It was so so hot that we all hung out on the top new porch area. we had never done that before.

come back soon !

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 09:04 AM

I forgot about the creamed corn!!! Lucy is gonna try to replicate it one of these days. I'll let you know how it goes! It was nice hanging out!
Jon

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
wow ! very nice photos and the lunch was for you two from me ! When the lunch is part of the teen thing THEY prepare it LOL

we ate at Joaquin's again last night and it was so great - we had black sea bass that he himself had caught, his famous salad and even more famous home made creamed corn. Oh my gosh ... we rolled out of the restaurant. It was so so hot that we all hung out on the top new porch area. we had never done that before.

come back soon !

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 10:23 AM

Day 6:

Here we go..........................time to pack up camp and start working our way home. We stopped by Blanca's to say bye, dropped off some sausages for Les (no more camping for us and can't bring back across the border) , and bailed to Bahia Asuncion.

New water pipes coming in from Vizcaino (David K mentioned this in his recent report - some overlap here!)

We ventured off the beaten path to San Hipolito looking for surf.............

We arrived in Bahia Asuncion and headed over to Shari's. Some photos here are a little blurry due to my camera being infiltrated with sand at Abreojos and no longer focusing correctly.

Shari makes some kick ass jewelry. We bought some earrings for my daughter and a necklace for my son.

Unfortunately we had to bail Asuncion too soon. We really wanted to stay in the Rock room, but I promised mi esposa that I'd take her to Bahia de los Angleles before we headed home. Shari offered a beer and gave us a tour of the B&B. Really quite impressive. The new upstairs they're working on is going to be amazing. We're coming back Shari!

We got some ice cream on the way out of town. I think this is the place you recommended Shari?

I wanted more Jurel after the kick ass sandwich I had earlier so we stopped for re-supply.

Off to B of LA..............I know, we're crazy for going there in AUGUST. A promise was a promise tho.............

The road lived up to it's bad name. Actually it wasn't too bad except for a few areas.

We arrived in B of LA around 7PM. This was one of those Baja experiences that tests your resolve. Highs and lows. This was my first time in town and I had no idea where to stay. We went to 6 different hotels, looking for the one with the best AC. All the AC units looked ancient. We we're very unimpressed at the accommodations. I figured with all the gringos coming here over the years there'd be a nice hotel to stay at. I was ready to pay the money to have some slice of luxury. Did I miss a hotel somewhere? Does a decent hotel exist here? We ended up back at Los Corales, across from the Pemex. Very new, clean, and a decent AC unit. We headed to Alejandrina's for dinner and asked if they new anyone who would take us for a ride in a boat. 10 minutes later a dude showed up and said he'd meet us at 8 AM the following day for a tour of the Bay.

Last day to follow.............

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by Ateo]

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by Ateo]

BornFisher - 8-19-2012 at 10:46 AM

Lovin the report! I need a wife who packs my van, camps, cooks ribs and can live off brats!! But I wouldn`t promise a trip to LA Bay in Aug!!

Sweetwater - 8-19-2012 at 10:50 AM

BOLA hotel = Casa del Sol according to the folks at Kiki's in San Felipe. But when I went through in February, they were full up and you needed a reservation to have a room.

I'm waiting for more recommends from this forum......

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 10:54 AM

Final 2 days:

Crazy dog:

We woke up early to meet Bacilio (our panga man). Our neighbors were gonna go with us and split the costs but they said they were too dehydrated from the day before. WTF? Mix in some water for chrise sake. =) They were young Europeans. We we're old Americans. We sacked up and drove to Bacilio's. He decided to take the big panga out, and we we're stoked cuz we had it all to ourselves. Cost a bit more, but it was well worth it.

And sorry to all the Vegans out there............

Back at Hotel Los Corales. We asked for a late checkout and they obliged. Then we hit the road and stopped outside of Catavina for some photos:

8 more photos to follow after I eat breakfast.................

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Lovin the report! I need a wife who packs my van, camps, cooks ribs and can live off brats!! But I wouldn`t promise a trip to LA Bay in Aug!!

Thanks! I got some fishing photos to post in a minute. Yeah, the wife is very cool. Gracias.

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 10:58 AM

Casa del Sol is one WE DIDN'T check out. Wish we had though from the sound of it. Thanks. MORE RECOMMENDATIONS NOMADS?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
BOLA hotel = Casa del Sol according to the folks at Kiki's in San Felipe. But when I went through in February, they were full up and you needed a reservation to have a room.

I'm waiting for more recommends from this forum......

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 11:08 AM

Heading into El Rosario............always feel this is the stretch that brings you back into civilization. We headed to Jardines, got a dog friendly room, and headed over to happy hour at the restaurant. I pretended to not know my wife and pick her up in front of the other gringos in the bar. It gave me quite the ego boost and was pretty fun. :lol::lol:

FYI the bar has been expanded since I was last there.

We ate at the Old Mill. Not as good as last trip, says my wife.

I always get a special feeling at Jardines. When there, I'm either headed southbound at the beginning of a trip, or coming back northbound, about to head home.

Here's the new bypass North of Santo Tomas:

Mexico beat Brazil:

And like that -- our trip was over. It was a great time. Time away without the kids was very fulfilling. Got to meet some Nomads. Explored regions of the peninsula that were new to me. Most importantly, we had no hard times, flat tires - nada!

Adios!

woody with a view - 8-19-2012 at 11:09 AM

Villa Bahia is pretty cool. get the upstairs unit and the wind helps to keep it cool. that's my boat on the hook.

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 12:13 PM

We checked this place - twice!! Looked like a sweet setup, but the rooms they had were enormous and had 1 small AC unit. It was super humid on the water too. Thanks for the advice. That place was definitely unique.
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Villa Bahia is pretty cool. get the upstairs unit and the wind helps to keep it cool. that's my boat on the hook.

Bob H - 8-19-2012 at 01:23 PM

It's a hot day here in San Diego today. So, I sat my burro down and finally went through this entire thread. WOW, what a great time you guys had. The photos are very good and your reporting is very entertaining. Looks like the dogs had a blast also and are stuck together like crazy glue!

How long was your panaga tour in B of LA and what was the cost? Did you bring your own fishing gear? Was this panga hired for a fishing trip or just a tour of the bay? And, you had shade to sit under while on that panga. I think my wife and I would enjoy something like that the next time we are in that area of Baja.

We passed by Campo Rene heading southbound a few years ago, but I was running so low on gas we be-lined to San Ignacio for fuel. My tank is a 38 gallon tank and I put a tad more than 38 gallons in there, go figure. I made it there on fumes. I really want to stop at Campo Rene and explore the wildlife there.

http://www.camporene.com/

Thanks for the photos and report~!

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by Bob H]

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 02:01 PM

Bob H,

The panga excursion was 1500 pesos for 4 hours.

It was a tour of the Bay. We saw the whale sharks, toured a few islands, parked it in a cove and swam, etc.......

I didn't bring my own fishing gear. We saw some bait fish jumping so Bacilio threw out his line and we trolled for a few till we got a bite. He handed it off to me.

I'm sure he could take you fishing or whatever you want to do....

He had shade which was a must.

Bacilio's Sport Fishing
He's on Facebook.
Phone 01-200-1249112
caballito.delmar@hotmail.com

He said it was OK to post this info. Or head to Alejandrita's restaurant and ask for Bacilio.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
It's a hot day here in San Diego today. So, I sat my burro down and finally went through this entire thread. WOW, what a great time you guys had. The photos are very good and your reporting is very entertaining. Looks like the dogs had a blast also and are stuck together like crazy glue!

How long was your panaga tour in B of LA and what was the cost? Did you bring your own fishing gear? Was this panga hired for a fishing trip or just a tour of the bay? And, you had shade to sit under while on that panga. I think my wife and I would enjoy something like that the next time we are in that area of Baja.

We passed by Campo Rene heading southbound a few years ago, but I was running so low on gas we be-lined to San Ignacio for fuel. My tank is a 38 gallon tank and I put a tad more than 38 gallons in there, go figure. I made it there on fumes. I really want to stop at Campo Rene and explore the wildlife there.

http://www.camporene.com/

Thanks for the photos and report~!

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by Bob H]

Bob H - 8-19-2012 at 02:19 PM

That's great! Thanks for the info on the boat. Did you stop in to Guillermo's place on the water? Pretty good food there and excellent margaritas!! We had dinner there and he let us park our cabover camper right there along the shore for free. I think he knew we'd be back for Margaritas! He makes killer Margaritas and also has a very nice boat! High end. Nice guy. He has a few newer rooms also available that many fisher-type people with their boats in tow spend the night when fishing the bay there.

woody with a view - 8-19-2012 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
We checked this place - twice!! Looked like a sweet setup, but the rooms they had were enormous and had 1 small AC unit. It was super humid on the water too. Thanks for the advice. That place was definitely unique.
Quote:

we were there in june and it wasn't too hot yet. still a great place that is kinda funky. can't wait to go back.

vgabndo - 8-19-2012 at 02:58 PM

Great report! Dude, you've got to know how much I love that shirt! I could wear it for every single occasion!:lol::lol:

IMG_7795.jpg - 40kB

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 03:11 PM

Nice boat, bottle of beer, bottle of Patron. Looks like the ingredients to a great day!!

Quote:
Quote:

Ateo - 8-19-2012 at 03:15 PM

Exactly!!! My brother made it for me a while back and it works in every situation. At the beach, at the pool, at dinner, on vacation...........wherever you are you missed church for this!

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Great report! Dude, you've got to know how much I love that shirt! I could wear it for every single occasion!:lol::lol:

willyAirstream - 8-19-2012 at 04:01 PM

A very enjoyable, educational post! Thanks for sharing.

BajaBlanca - 8-19-2012 at 07:41 PM

this really was a very informative post ! you did good ! the pics are wonderful, they tell the story ....

we need to start a list of places to stay in each village down the coast on both sides .... and maybe there is one already that we just don't know about ?

I will ask our friends who are staying at campo rene for the summer, but who live in BoLA for recommendations on places to stay.

motoged - 8-19-2012 at 10:37 PM

Some great pics.....and food, by the sounds of it.

BUT ....:wow: :?: you couldn't find a place to stay in Bahia de los Angeles :o :O :no: Que lastima....it's full of choices.

http://www.bahiadelosangeles.info/accomodations.htm

I have always stayed at and liked Costa del Sol.

Sometime I would like to check out a few of the places north of town....

Pacifico - 8-20-2012 at 06:51 AM

Highly recommend Costa Del Sol! I'm not a big fan of Villa Bahia.....walk through their kitchen and see what ya think.

Great trip report!

Ateo - 8-20-2012 at 08:02 AM

Actually now that I see the picture of Costa Del Sol, we did try that place. It was the first place we stopped. All they had was the largest room and it didn't allow our dogs. =(

Ateo - 8-20-2012 at 08:09 AM

Thanks for the link. Yeah, we actually did check Costa del Sol....but they wouldn't allow our dogs. Place was packed. Looked nice and new.
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Some great pics.....and food, by the sounds of it.

BUT ....:wow: :?: you couldn't find a place to stay in Bahia de los Angeles :o :O :no: Que lastima....it's full of choices.

http://www.bahiadelosangeles.info/accomodations.htm

I have always stayed at and liked Costa del Sol.

Sometime I would like to check out a few of the places north of town....

pappy - 8-21-2012 at 07:44 AM

great photos, great trip, great report. thanks for sharing!

Sunman - 8-21-2012 at 08:02 AM

Fun report, great pics.

x2 on the Bahia Villa upper unit. VERY dog friendly. Our lab had a great time with the owners lab.