Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Wandering Up & Down Baja
Ateo
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 8-12-2012 at 07:59 PM
Wandering Up & Down Baja

I awoke in a hotel room in Downtown Los Angeles. It was 4 A.M.

Knowing I didn't need to get up till about 7AM - but also knowing I was leaving for Baja the second I got my work done, I pounded some coffee and started my day.

I made it home to San Diego around noon and my wife notified me the truck was packed. We we're off.

Crossing the border we got pulled into secondary (like always) probably 'cuz the truck was weighed down and the tinted back shell. Oh well, the agent waved me thru.

I was in a haze (having woken up at 4AM) and was thinking deep about the fences that divide our beautiful countries.

The Ensenada Flag:

We pulled off the road to let the dogs take a pee, just prior to arriving at Jardines. My wife called Jardines on the way down and we secured the last dog friendly room. Stoked. $40-- or something like that -- with the dog fee.

We headed to the Old Mill for dinner but it was packed. Wait was over an hour for food as there was a wedding going on -- so we headed back to Jardines for a great meal -- as always.

The next day we bailed to Punta Abreojos. This is one of my favorite stretches in all of Mexico:

Shiny bike seen in Guerrero Negro:

Can you tell this is a surf spot? The flies arrived in my truck as I opened the door to take this picture, and they didn't stop infiltrating the truck till we arrived in La Bocana. No, I don't work for the tourism board in Bocana. =)

Reading materials or kindling? You be the judge. Come on, you can take a joke right?

The gas station attendant in Vizcaino accidentally broke my extra 5 gallon gas can cap, resulting in gas spilling all over our ice chest. The gasoline melted shut the lid on one of 'em, and we (my strong wife) had to pry it open with a screwdriver. All of our fruits and veggies we're contaminated. Maybe that was payback for me bringing that reading material/kindling mentioned above.

Here's my wife inspecting the food for MTBE, Benzene, Toluene, and Xylene:

End of day waves still rolling in.......

My wife made the best ribs for dinner. Always nice 600 miles south of the border. We ate the entire rack of ribs and the potatoes were the bomb. A little sour cream and sriracha and we were good to go.

After sunset we stayed up, sipping mixed drinks, watching the moon rise over the cloudy horizon, and talking about the Mars Rover (which landed a few MINUTES earlier - I found out thru a text. Who knew you could get a text in Abre? I didn't). The Rover was up there -- in that sky -- on a rock -- orbiting the sun. We sent it there to examine the Past and the Present. Pretty impressive for our Species. From Downtown LA to Mars in 1 day.

More to follow as I get time........I meet some Nomads, and see the beautiful towns of La Bocana, Bahia Asuncion, and Bahia De Los Angeles.

-Ateo

[Edited on 6-25-2014 by Ateo]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 08:08 PM

looks fun! looks like the dogs were stoked on the extra brats?

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 08:22 PM

Woody, yeah, we went a little crazy on the brats, only having 2 people. We did cook some for the perros.......They were in the 3rd tiny ice chest that didn't get any gas issues -- we ended up hooking BajaBlanca and Les up with 8 Jalapeno cheese filled brats, as we were done camping and couldn't bring back across the border.

[Edited on 8-13-2012 by Ateo]

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 08:22 PM

Ya buddy. Im frothing keep em comin

No worries
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 09:03 PM

Curt63: I have some Campo Rene stuff in the next post. Thanks.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 09:43 PM

I'm lovin your photos man...retro dude.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I'm lovin your photos man...retro dude.

Those retro pics are all Lucy.............more to follow.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 06:57 AM

Excellent, thanks.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 07:12 AM

MAS MAS MAS
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 08:10 AM

Thank you Ateo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 08:47 AM

nice trip report and photos, ateo, thank you!

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 08:55 AM

Wanting more! What's with all the flies in Abre?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 03:42 PM

nice photos .... good job Lucy ! Nice writing Ateo. Abre is famous for its flies ..... having never camped there, I can't attest to it but enough people have written about them that I believe 'em.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 07:55 PM

Day 3 brought new adventure and a beautiful sunrise.

We decided to head to Campo Rene on Curt63's suggestion and we weren't let down. Tons of stuff over there to do, and a unique Baja ecological environment in my opinion. We didn't eat or do anything at Campo Rene proper, but chose to explore the sand dunes and estuary outflow. Tons of wildlife everywhere.

Still waves....

Unfortunately we didn't get more photos of Rene proper, but we were too busy having fun to pull the camera out.

The surrounding area is littered with empty beaches. No one around. It would be a perfect place to go skinny dipping -- if that's your idea of fun. Me - I'm a prude. =)

More fun:

Then I headed for a surf:

Of course the only photo my wife snapped in this session was me not making a section (sorry honey):

Of course there were other waves to surf during this swell. Don't fall here. You could really hurt yourself.

What do you do after catching a crap load of waves? Eat fish tacos at Juanitas. A place that deserves to be promoted:

On our way back to camp we noticed some Underground Storage Tank (UST) testing going on at the Pemex in town. Being that I know a little something about this, I turned around and asked the guys if I could take some pictures and take a look. They were rightfully suspicious, but agreed after my wife's request.

This station has all the newest technology -- basically on par with the most current and strictest California regulations. I'd say it would be safer than 90% of the stations in California. Double walled tanks. Hydrostatically monitored double walled sumps and under dispenser containment -- all monitored continuously. The groundwater (if there is any) in Abre won't be getting contaminated by a leaking tank anytime soon!!!! This was a tight system. Sorry I didn't get more pictures -- I was too busy talking and in awe.

After tacos and gas stations I was exhausted. So were the dogs.

And more meat for dinner:

After that it was good night. More to follow...................Blanca and Shari are on deck.

[Edited on 8-14-2012 by Ateo]

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 08:22 PM

Great stuff! Great pics Thanks

No worries
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Great stuff! Great pics Thanks

Curt, Let me thank YOU sir. If not for your guidance I wouldn't have ventured out...........I would've been flojo and stayed at Abre.

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 08:46 PM

Thanks for your great report and pictures, love them. Also love your doggies. That's a tight pair, at play and at rest.

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 09:56 PM

Great report. I may get that way later this year.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 11:39 PM

Fun reading your report, as you were just a week or so behind me at Abreojos, etc. First thing I noticed coming into town was the brand new, not open, Pemex.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 08:26 AM

love the pics of the dogs .... so cute their sleeping side by side !

campo rene is one of those special places ... and well worth a meal as well ... we have friends who stay there every year, thru the summer, for 3 months escaping the Bay of LA heat. swimming - beaches - BBQs - they even have internet.

next time we shall have to plan for the cave paintings, an overnight along the path the Indians used and of course, you have to visit Puerto Nuevo.

so much to do !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.