BajaNomad

Hawaiian food vs. Mexican food

EnsenadaDr - 8-18-2012 at 10:06 AM

Just got out here to Hawaii for an extended stay of about a month, and walked into the grocery stores. Wow, it truly is a shocker. I was longing immediately for the local Soriana or Calimax. The prices are so much higher, especially in the produce department. Just buying a few items ran me $50 dollars American. Interestingly enough, the diet of the Hawaiians are somewhat similar to Mexicans. They are both fond of rice. Also sushi and seafood are popular. I guess the thing I take for granted is going to a restaurant and getting a good lunch for $50 pesos in Baja California. I guess I will have to stock up on Spaghetti and cook my own meals here. They do have a McDonald's, and maybe that is the only thing that is cheaper than Baja. I do notice Ensenada's Carl Jr.'s is booming with business, but very highly priced.

TMW - 8-18-2012 at 10:11 AM

Hawaii use to be one of the largest cattle producers but other than pineapple I assume they import all their food by ship or plane. I was last in Hawaii in 1966 all expenses paid for by Uncle Sam.

DavidE - 8-18-2012 at 10:26 AM

I remember Hawaii. Rolling grasslands, growing pineapples or cattle (sugarcane too). Not very scenic. Any place with greenery and flowing water was like Yosemite Park floor in July; absolutely jam packed with tourists.

(Wanna know why KONA coffee is so expensive?) A coffee expert told me...

"It's not that the coffee is really superior like a good Columbian, Guatemalan, Sumatra, or Mexican coffee. Kona coffee is ordinary, run-of-the-mill"

"But everyone, from the people who plant it, maintain it, pick the berries, dry them, husk and roast them, well, they're all unionized at USA wages."

Ensenada Dr., could you do me a favor and price one of those Hawaiian pineapples? That'll be a good measure of just how screwed-up the economics are.

C&H can no longer jingle "Pure Cane Sugar From Hawaiiiiii". It's now "Pure Cane Sugar From The mainlanddddddddd"

woody with a view - 8-18-2012 at 10:29 AM

SPAM, the food of Samoans....

[Edited on 8-18-2012 by woody with a view]

images.jpg - 11kB

durrelllrobert - 8-18-2012 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Just got out here to Hawaii for an extended stay of about a month, and walked into the grocery stores. Wow, it truly is a shocker. I was longing immediately for the local Soriana or Calimax. The prices are so much higher, especially in the produce department. Just buying a few items ran me $50 dollars American. Interestingly enough, the diet of the Hawaiians are somewhat similar to Mexicans. They are both fond of rice. Also sushi and seafood are popular. I guess the thing I take for granted is going to a restaurant and getting a good lunch for $50 pesos in Baja California. I guess I will have to stock up on Spaghetti and cook my own meals here. They do have a McDonald's, and maybe that is the only thing that is cheaper than Baja. I do notice Ensenada's Carl Jr.'s is booming with business, but very highly priced.

American?
I thought they had their own currency now :lol::lol:

Barry A. - 8-18-2012 at 10:33 AM

There is a huge Mexican influence in Hawaii, especially on the BIG ISLAND, as Mexican caballeros were imported to work the ranches, and teach the natives the fine art of cowboying!!! Many stayed, and their influence on everything Hawaiian is profound, and we all benefit to this day. The Hawaiian music was especially influenced by the Mexicanos. I love it!!!!

Hawaii is very special, and the prices are way over-hyped in my opinion, considering their remoteness. We return there often, and love all the Islands of Hawaii----all very different. Molokai and Lanaii our favorites.

Barry

EnsenadaDr - 8-18-2012 at 10:43 AM

You can get 3 dole pineapples at Honolulu International Airport for $28, but as we all know, airports are infamous for high prices. I will check at the local supermarket for the price and get back to you.
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I remember Hawaii. Rolling grasslands, growing pineapples or cattle (sugarcane too). Not very scenic. Any place with greenery and flowing water was like Yosemite Park floor in July; absolutely jam packed with tourists.

(Wanna know why KONA coffee is so expensive?) A coffee expert told me...

"It's not that the coffee is really superior like a good Columbian, Guatemalan, Sumatra, or Mexican coffee. Kona coffee is ordinary, run-of-the-mill"

"But everyone, from the people who plant it, maintain it, pick the berries, dry them, husk and roast them, well, they're all unionized at USA wages."

Ensenada Dr., could you do me a favor and price one of those Hawaiian pineapples? That'll be a good measure of just how screwed-up the economics are.

C&H can no longer jingle "Pure Cane Sugar From Hawaiiiiii". It's now "Pure Cane Sugar From The mainlanddddddddd"

A special place..

EnsenadaDr - 8-18-2012 at 10:47 AM

I am in Kona on the Big Island right now and I think Hawaii is very scenic. There was a beautiful breeze blowing when I got off the airplane, and it was cooler than it has been in San Diego. There are still coffee pickers here that are Mexicans, also the Portuguese have a huge influence because of their migration here to help out with the fishing fleets. I love the Big Island, it has it all, including live volcanoes!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
There is a huge Mexican influence in Hawaii, especially on the BIG ISLAND, as Mexican caballeros were imported to work the ranches, and teach the natives the fine art of cowboying!!! Many stayed, and their influence on everything Hawaiian is profound, and we all benefit to this day. The Hawaiian music was especially influenced by the Mexicanos. I love it!!!!

Hawaii is very special, and the prices are way over-hyped in my opinion, considering their remoteness. We return there often, and love all the Islands of Hawaii----all very different. Molokai and Lanaii our favorites.

Barry

oxxo - 8-18-2012 at 10:52 AM

Hawai'i is much like Mexico in terms of lifestyle. If you want to live like an expatriate mainlander, it is expensive. If you want to live like a local, it is much less expensive. That includes food.

javi's paradise tiki bar

willardguy - 8-18-2012 at 10:59 AM

how about a shameless plug for rosarito's newest bithin hawaiian sports bar. at K36 1/2 stop in and say hi to herbie,chris, and rosarito's most famous bar keep, javier.
truly this is a nice,nice spot!:bounce:

desertcpl - 8-18-2012 at 12:02 PM

well I for one disagree with you on the Kona Coffee

I lived for awhile on Maui, so I am speaking some what with experience, True 100% Kona coffee does have a distinct
rich flavor in my opinion,, in fact we had some this morning
it really expensive here, but we both treat ourselves occasionally on the weekends as a treat

EnsenadaDr - 8-18-2012 at 04:58 PM

Kona coffee is smooth without a bitter taste. If you research it, it ranks as one of the best coffees in the world. I just went shopping at the Kona Costco. I guess that is the best place to do your shopping while in Hawaii. The individual pineapple was $3.84 each, not cheap but not outrageous for Hawaii either.

DavidE - 8-18-2012 at 05:43 PM

Congenial difference of opinion.

Without parallel is Jamaican Blue Mountain, the real stuff 100% pure.

But shade grown coffee from Chiapas IMHO just knocks the socks off of ten dollar a pound Konas that I have tried. Same for Atitlán coffees -- of course the Konas are better than Folger's or Juan Valdez Columbian. All in my opinion of course.

I just read an article reporting that the gasoline price in the tiny resort area I lived in high in the Sierra Nevada mountains, is five dollars nine, point nine cents per gallon.

A three dollar eighty four cent pineapple is living pretty basic. A freighter can haul twenty thousand tons of goods just as easily as a thousand trucks can. Someone is making a whole lot of money over there.

maspacifico - 8-18-2012 at 05:47 PM

I like Lion Coffee and if I could buy it here I would....but then I would be giving up Combat. After living on Maui for 18 years and seeing all the stuff they put in the ground you couldn't pay me to eat a pineapple, but I'm sure the Mexican varieties are organic. And the scenery just sucked.... Doc....you will adapt if you want. Aloha

hawaii aint burro

captkw - 8-18-2012 at 06:03 PM

Hola, I have been all over the H (sandwich) islands and have to say if you like swiming in warm,clear,clean fresh water and waterfalls..cali wins hands down and thats a FACT!!!!:P

lizard lips - 8-18-2012 at 06:15 PM

CAFE BRITT -- COSTA RICA -- THE BEST EVER!:biggrin:

maspacifico - 8-18-2012 at 06:17 PM

You are right...nothing to see in Hawaii. Case closed.

Barry A. - 8-18-2012 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maspacifico
You are right...nothing to see in Hawaii. Case closed.

Wow---------went on our 13th trip to Hawaii last Feb. for a month and still discovering great stuff with a rented 4x4. We totally love the place, but would not want to live there---------

To each his own, I guess.

Barry

BARRY

captkw - 8-18-2012 at 07:16 PM

HOLA, HAWAII IS A GREAT PLACE FOR PLANTS,FLAUNA AND THE LIKE AND I HAVE HAD SOME GOOD TIME THERE !! BUT CONTARY TO MISS CONCEPTIONS>>THE FRESH WATER SCENE CANT HOLD A CANDLE TO THE WEST COST..USA... BTW ITS ALSO THE MOST PREJUDECED PLACE IN ALL MY TRAVELS... I DONT GET REFERRED AS A GRINGO OFTEN AS I HAVE BEEN PART TIME IN MEX SINCE 68..BUT I DONT LIKE THE TERM/SLANG "HOLIE"..MY 2 CENTOVO'S....K&T:cool:

805gregg - 8-18-2012 at 07:23 PM

I spent 2 weeks in July on Maui, some things are very expensive Kona Coffee is one, pineapple was $1 each, fish about the same as Calif. The saving grace is Costco and Walmart. I love Hawaii, warm clean ocean water great frendly people and no beheaded bodies hanging from bridges. All you have to do is find the bargins, 5 tee shirts for $20, $7 coconut shrimp, $4 Wahoo sliders, and $1.50 beers. I love Mexico too but untill they take it back from the drug cartels I'm boycotting, I'll be back to Hawaii.

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by 805gregg]

EnsenadaDr - 8-18-2012 at 07:25 PM

It's nice being in paradise, the scenery as Barry says is spectacular, especially on the Big Island...as in any place you need to keep busy doing something...the water is warm and unlike So Cal water which is a bit frigid for my taste, Hawaii water is alot clearer and warmer.

DR. ENS

captkw - 8-18-2012 at 07:42 PM

HOLA,,NOT IN THE FRESH WATER SCENE!!!! K&T

Barry A. - 8-18-2012 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
It's nice being in paradise, the scenery as Barry says is spectacular, especially on the Big Island...as in any place you need to keep busy doing something...the water is warm and unlike So Cal water which is a bit frigid for my taste, Hawaii water is alot clearer and warmer.

Yep, Doc, you are right. When on the Big Island we normally stay in Capt. Cook at the Manago Hotel, great food with reasonbly priced food, and the most friendly people--------nothing not to like. We go down to "2-step" right by the "City of Refuge" (that used to be the name, anyway) for our great snorkeling and swimming and turtle viewing, or up to the remote beaches north of Kona proper.

Don't get me wrong, the western USA is incredible, but Hawaii is nice every once in a while for a change of atmosphere and scenery. We mostly stay away from the crowds and resorts.

Barry

BARRY

captkw - 8-18-2012 at 07:55 PM

HOLA,,CAPT COOK HAS A LARGE SANTA CRUZ.CA. POP/FOLKS AND THE MOLAKII CHANNEL IS ..............SNOOTY FOR A CROSSING..BUT ITS A NICE PLACE TO VISIT AND ALSO THE RAIN FOREST OR IN HILO THE TUSAMINA CENTER!!! AND HOT ,HOT MOVING LAVA FLOW !! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by captkw]

Kalypso - 8-18-2012 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maspacifico
I like Lion Coffee and if I could buy it here I would....but then I would be giving up Combat. After living on Maui for 18 years and seeing all the stuff they put in the ground you couldn't pay me to eat a pineapple, but I'm sure the Mexican varieties are organic. And the scenery just sucked.... Doc....you will adapt if you want. Aloha

Lion Coffee has at least 2 shops in San Diego that sell their products...coffee and tea.

bajaguy - 8-18-2012 at 08:23 PM

http://www.lioncoffee.com/

jeans - 8-18-2012 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

how about a shameless plug for rosarito's newest bithin hawaiian sports bar. at K36 1/2 stop in and say hi to herbie,chris, and rosarito's most famous bar keep, javier.
truly this is a nice,nice spot!:bounce:

Location is nice and they did a little work to fix up the outside with truckloads of beach sand and putting in horseshoe pits and a volleyball court. But they have a band on Friday nights that plays SUPER loud even though there is only a handful of people there. The singer (shouter) is truly horrid. Worst Band Ever

Saturdays, they had an equally off pitch female who thinks she can sing like Sade...guess again. "Had" is the optimal word here.

maspacifico - 8-19-2012 at 05:49 AM

San Diego and Rosarito are a little too far to go for coffee from the East Cape, but thanks. Slightly puzzled about the "fresh water" comments about Hawaii. Does anyone go there to sit in lakes? Beautiful, just got too crowded for me.

DavidE - 8-19-2012 at 06:22 AM

I have a feeling that local Hawaiian ripe-from-the-field pineapple is as good as it is from Playa Azul, Michoacan the home of México's pineapples. When it is in season the nearby market town of La Mira has vendors selling 2 large pineapples, ripe, for 15 pesos (yes, for 2). On the other hand, Zihuatanejo brags about its local coffee. Mahogany color. Tastes like mahogany sawdust steeped in ditch water.

Is there a chance that the three times I have sampled Hawaiian "Kona Coffee" were bogus? Coffee labeled "Kona" but diluted or even falsified labeling?

durrelllrobert - 8-19-2012 at 08:04 AM

After living on Maui for 18 years and seeing all the stuff they put in the ground you couldn't pay me to eat a pineapple

EnsenadaDr - 8-20-2012 at 12:52 AM

Redondo's Hawaiian Hot Dogs...Yep that's what I had for dinner last night. Now I am no amateur when I comes to Hot Dogs, born in the Empire State, I know what a good beef hot dog is, but the taste of the RED hot dogs that signify those delicious Hawaiian Hot Dogs is amazing. I put it on the gas grille, or you can easily microwave it for 2 minutes, and with mustard and relish on a bun, the taste is amazing. And they are very reasonable. I also found a brand of bottled curry that has 3 different blends. I tried the madras tonight, with chicken, very easy and very flavorful. They also have a Mango chutney. So, maybe my next venture will be how to eat in Hawaii on a budget...Aloha to you all!!

durrelllrobert - 8-20-2012 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Redondo's Hawaiian Hot Dogs...Yep that's what I had for dinner last night. Now I am no amateur when I comes to Hot Dogs, born in the Empire State, I know what a good beef hot dog is, but the taste of the RED hot dogs that signify those delicious Hawaiian Hot Dogs is amazing. I put it on the gas grille, or you can easily microwave it for 2 minutes, and with mustard and relish on a bun, the taste is amazing. And they are very reasonable. I also found a brand of bottled curry that has 3 different blends. I tried the madras tonight, with chicken, very easy and very flavorful. They also have a Mango chutney. So, maybe my next venture will be how to eat in Hawaii on a budget...Aloha to you all!!

Mango chutney on genuine Hawaiian Spam = a great budget meal. Ever wonder why the unwanted stuff we get on our computers is called SPAM?

EnsenadaDr - 8-20-2012 at 10:31 AM

Seems you don't like anything much about Hawaii. Sorry about that Bob. I don't eat Mango chutney on Spam. Rice might be a healthier choice, and just as tasty. I am sure you have your junk food addictions as well. Hawaiians just have a penchant for Spam left over from WWII.

Fertilizing the fields...

EnsenadaDr - 8-20-2012 at 10:35 AM

When I worked in Zorillo, just a few miles from you Bob, every day the streams from the overflowing septic tanks would form a mini lake on the main road into town that would cause your tires to splash in the aguas negras. It had a pretty unpleasant odor, as you can imagine, but I am sure irrigated the local crops along the way. Complaining to the city public works department did no good. They aren't planning on sewage drainage there for a long time.
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
After living on Maui for 18 years and seeing all the stuff they put in the ground you couldn't pay me to eat a pineapple

DavidE - 8-20-2012 at 11:18 AM

Ensenada Dr.

The stores over there (according to friends) sell jars of Japanese and Chinese mixed condiments to add to rice before it is cooked. Includes baby shrimp, seaweed, and lots of herbs and spices. You might want to check it out.

Cypress - 8-20-2012 at 12:17 PM

EnsenadaDr, Been to Maui and the big island for short visits. My daughter was married on Maui. Have spent more time in Baja(Mulege), a really neat place with lots of friendly people. A dream come true would be to have a place in Hana on Maui, fish and explore.;D

Barry A. - 8-20-2012 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
EnsenadaDr, Been to Maui and the big island for short visits. My daughter was married on Maui. Have spent more time in Baja(Mulege), a really neat place with lots of friendly people. A dream come true would be to have a place in Hana on Maui, fish and explore.;D

Almost as good-------an alternative---------we rented a place just outside of Hana for several days for $123 a night, fully furnished and appointed, and farily near the water. My son rented a house right on HANA bay for about $200 a night--------there are some great deals like this, and you don't have any worries about maintaining the place when not there.

Sure works for us.

Barry

WideAngleWandering - 8-20-2012 at 12:43 PM

I visited Hawaii for the first time recently and had a good (not too pricey) time. I was there in February, maybe not the peak season, but successfully evaded the tourists by traveling independently, staying in smaller guest houses (usually around $100 a night) and checking out the famous sites before the tourist buses arrived and after they left.

I'd go back in a heartbeat, though there was a resentment / distaste toward mainlanders that I found quite palpable. I think it would be hard to move there and fit in.

Haleakala Observatory

Kiluea Caldera as Dawn Breaks

Copse of Palm Trees

I miss the poke and spam & eggs :)

[Edited on 2012-8-20 by WideAngleWandering]

Bill Collector - 8-20-2012 at 01:36 PM

Ensenada Dr
Please check your U2u

Cypress - 8-20-2012 at 01:49 PM

poke!!!;D Yummy! And a little seaweed on the side.:lol:

desertcpl - 8-20-2012 at 04:00 PM

when I lived on Maui

there was a sugar cane plantation and grew other things also ( cant remember the name) but they had a kitchen for the workers a big one

they would usually make alot of extra for locals that was not working on the farm , you had to pay of course,they were done when they ran out and this was a lunch, just one item each day for the entree one scoop of white rice and one scoop of mariconi salad very cheap and quite good

durrelllrobert - 8-20-2012 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Seems you don't like anything much about Hawaii. Sorry about that Bob. I don't eat Mango chutney on Spam. Rice might be a healthier choice, and just as tasty. I am sure you have your junk food addictions as well. Hawaiians just have a penchant for Spam left over from WWII.

Where did you get the idea that I don't like anything about Hawaii? I love all the islands I've been to as well as the beaches and people. The only thing I don't like is the costs at the major resorts (much cheaper in Mexico and usually more tropical). I even like Spam, as long as it isn't left over from WWII, even though it is a mystery meat. :lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-20-2012 by durrelllrobert]

DENNIS - 8-20-2012 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
even though it is a mystery meat. :lol::lol:

Pork Shoulder y nada mas.

I love Spam. We've had some kick-ass Spam threads here.
Even the big stores here carry Spam.

maspacifico - 8-20-2012 at 05:22 PM

Spam musubi.....sold anywhere da kine locals shop....slice of spam and sticky white rice wrapped in sushi seaweed....that will rush through ya!

WideAngleWandering - 8-20-2012 at 06:55 PM

I've already finished all the spam I brought with me. Can I get spam singles in Baja? Turkey spam? Bacon spam? Jalapeño spam?

I'm starting to think I should just head back north to the SPAM museum in Minnesota and stock back up.

durrelllrobert - 8-20-2012 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WideAngleWandering
Can I get spam singles in Baja? .
Iget emails almost daily for singles looking for partners. They go directly to the SPAM folder on my computer :lol::lol:

SPAM

bajaguy - 8-20-2012 at 08:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

[Edited on 8-21-2012 by bajaguy]

Lindalou - 8-21-2012 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Calimax at the y carries spam. I look at the fat and sodium and cannot bring myself to buy a can, but I love spam.

Mula - 8-21-2012 at 09:15 AM

Benito Juarez Market in Loreto sells Spam.
Saul's in Mulege sells Spam
In Constutucion Ley and Super Murillo sells Spam.

DENNIS - 8-21-2012 at 09:21 AM

SPAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Cypress - 8-21-2012 at 10:32 AM

Spam with mashed potatoes and gravy!:biggrin: Mighty good!!!

DavidE - 8-21-2012 at 10:39 AM

Splash a little Herdez salsa de casera on the Spam and wowee!

wessongroup - 8-21-2012 at 10:47 AM

A spam sandwich "once" a year won't hurt ya ... :):)

durrelllrobert - 8-21-2012 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

SpamFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Spam- (its name a portmanteau of the words "Spiced" and "Ham") is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation, first introduced in 1937.
The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, and sodium nitrite as a preservative.
Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock.
The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery meat, which has made it part of pop culture and folklore. Through a Monty Python sketch, in which Spam is portrayed as ubiquitous and inescapable, its name has come to be given to electronic spam, including spam email.

DENNIS - 8-21-2012 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
SpamFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whadda they know? They blaspheme the good name of SPAM. :fire:

wessongroup - 8-21-2012 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Hawai'i is much like Mexico in terms of lifestyle. If you want to live like an expatriate mainlander, it is expensive. If you want to live like a local, it is much less expensive. That includes food.

Ditto's

wessongroup - 8-21-2012 at 12:10 PM

Loved the "big island" the most ... of all ..

EnsenadaDr - 8-22-2012 at 09:34 AM

Wow I just had to comment, Spam at Sack n' Save was 4 cans for $10.00 American, I believe that is cheaper than Mexico, $2 a can!!!

comitan - 8-22-2012 at 09:49 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

DavidE - 8-22-2012 at 09:55 AM

Hey Ensenada doctor!

How much are a dozen eggs

Gallon of milk

Pound of tomatoes

Pound of potatoes

Is any of the above produced locally?

Thanks

mtgoat666 - 8-22-2012 at 09:34 PM

Not a big fan of Hawaiian food. The poke is good. The moco loco is OK (about once a year). There are some good asian joints to eat.

The islands are crowded with tourists and expensive. Better tropical places to travel in asia, with better food too

EnsenadaDr - 8-22-2012 at 09:37 PM

The problem also is that the mac and potato salad that comes with every plate is full of carbohydrates and fat and is a diabetic nightmare. I have been cooking every night, I made some pretty good pasta from Costco, and homemade Italian meatballs and Garlic Bread tonight. I don't care for the poke I miss cerviche, so I am glad I will be back for a sabbatical in a few weeks to eat Mexican!!!

ceviche

bajaguy - 8-22-2012 at 09:47 PM

You are in Ceviche Paradise......all of that fresh seafood, shellfish and Maui onions.....make your own!!!!!

wilderone - 8-24-2012 at 07:15 AM

Dr - happy hours at the popular hotels have cheap happy hour food and drinks - enough for a meal at a reasonable price. Egg salad sandwiches, papayas for lunch. Look for food trucks, hole-in-the-wall independent "fast food" - which might be vietnamese food or the like.
I stayed at a "hostel" south of Kona once for $50/nt. for a bedroom in the house. There was also a large room with bunks for $10/nt. He had a great patio with a view where everyone would gather at the end of the day and talk about their day. We all had access to the kitchen and fridge. Awesome time. The next couple days we stayed down the road at the old sugar plantation rooms. They were $35/nt. Not too impressive as hotel rooms go, but fits the budget. Earlier in the trip we stayed at Arnett's hostel. $18/nt. as I recall. Fun place. Point is, with the money you don't spend on lodging, you can spend on food, leis, happy hours.
Yeh - "2-step" - one of my favorite places on earth. Dr - you're not too far from it - near Capt. Cook's and the small Beach Park. You gotta go.

bajaguy - 8-24-2012 at 07:29 AM

And take advantage of the coupons in the "Tourist Magazines" available everywhere......plenty of 2 for one deals and % off ads.

We never spent more on food on our trips to the Islands than we did at home........be a smart shopper!!!! Food trucks, "locals" places to eat and shop, and plenty of fresh seafood!!!

Cypress - 8-24-2012 at 07:51 AM

Fresh seafood!!!! Beware of the Butterfish.:O

bajaguy - 8-24-2012 at 07:53 AM

Cypress...........grilled Ahi steaks!!!!

EnsenadaDr - 8-24-2012 at 11:17 AM

I just was up there the other day enrolling my daughter in school. She is going to be going to school in Captain Cook near the Kona Hospital. Very "Old Hawaiian" area with killer views of the ocean and coffee plantations from her school. We passed through the old Kainaliu section which is charming, which houses the "Old Aloha Theatre", also Dog Chapman's office is off that road. She is very happy to be here. I am off to Hilo today, not before I meet a friend for lunch in Honoka'a...another old Hawaiian town on the Big Island's Hamakua Coast, beautiful drive.

Cypress - 8-24-2012 at 11:47 AM

bajaguy, Yep! Ahi, any you fix it is very tasty. Back to the Butterfish. Be very careful when you prepare Butterfish. They have an oil content that is a natural laxative. It can be a very unpleasant surprise for anyone that doesn't need a laxative.:o Could have a negative impact on your visit to Hawaii if you plan on cooking your own meals etc.