BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Hawaiian food vs. Mexican food
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:06 AM
Hawaiian food vs. Mexican food

Just got out here to Hawaii for an extended stay of about a month, and walked into the grocery stores. Wow, it truly is a shocker. I was longing immediately for the local Soriana or Calimax. The prices are so much higher, especially in the produce department. Just buying a few items ran me $50 dollars American. Interestingly enough, the diet of the Hawaiians are somewhat similar to Mexicans. They are both fond of rice. Also sushi and seafood are popular. I guess the thing I take for granted is going to a restaurant and getting a good lunch for $50 pesos in Baja California. I guess I will have to stock up on Spaghetti and cook my own meals here. They do have a McDonald's, and maybe that is the only thing that is cheaper than Baja. I do notice Ensenada's Carl Jr.'s is booming with business, but very highly priced.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:11 AM

Hawaii use to be one of the largest cattle producers but other than pineapple I assume they import all their food by ship or plane. I was last in Hawaii in 1966 all expenses paid for by Uncle Sam.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:26 AM

I remember Hawaii. Rolling grasslands, growing pineapples or cattle (sugarcane too). Not very scenic. Any place with greenery and flowing water was like Yosemite Park floor in July; absolutely jam packed with tourists.

(Wanna know why KONA coffee is so expensive?) A coffee expert told me...

"It's not that the coffee is really superior like a good Columbian, Guatemalan, Sumatra, or Mexican coffee. Kona coffee is ordinary, run-of-the-mill"

"But everyone, from the people who plant it, maintain it, pick the berries, dry them, husk and roast them, well, they're all unionized at USA wages."

Ensenada Dr., could you do me a favor and price one of those Hawaiian pineapples? That'll be a good measure of just how screwed-up the economics are.

C&H can no longer jingle "Pure Cane Sugar From Hawaiiiiii". It's now "Pure Cane Sugar From The mainlanddddddddd"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:29 AM

SPAM, the food of Samoans....

[Edited on 8-18-2012 by woody with a view]

images.jpg - 11kB

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Just got out here to Hawaii for an extended stay of about a month, and walked into the grocery stores. Wow, it truly is a shocker. I was longing immediately for the local Soriana or Calimax. The prices are so much higher, especially in the produce department. Just buying a few items ran me $50 dollars American. Interestingly enough, the diet of the Hawaiians are somewhat similar to Mexicans. They are both fond of rice. Also sushi and seafood are popular. I guess the thing I take for granted is going to a restaurant and getting a good lunch for $50 pesos in Baja California. I guess I will have to stock up on Spaghetti and cook my own meals here. They do have a McDonald's, and maybe that is the only thing that is cheaper than Baja. I do notice Ensenada's Carl Jr.'s is booming with business, but very highly priced.

American?
I thought they had their own currency now :lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:33 AM

There is a huge Mexican influence in Hawaii, especially on the BIG ISLAND, as Mexican caballeros were imported to work the ranches, and teach the natives the fine art of cowboying!!! Many stayed, and their influence on everything Hawaiian is profound, and we all benefit to this day. The Hawaiian music was especially influenced by the Mexicanos. I love it!!!!

Hawaii is very special, and the prices are way over-hyped in my opinion, considering their remoteness. We return there often, and love all the Islands of Hawaii----all very different. Molokai and Lanaii our favorites.

Barry
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:43 AM

You can get 3 dole pineapples at Honolulu International Airport for $28, but as we all know, airports are infamous for high prices. I will check at the local supermarket for the price and get back to you.
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I remember Hawaii. Rolling grasslands, growing pineapples or cattle (sugarcane too). Not very scenic. Any place with greenery and flowing water was like Yosemite Park floor in July; absolutely jam packed with tourists.

(Wanna know why KONA coffee is so expensive?) A coffee expert told me...

"It's not that the coffee is really superior like a good Columbian, Guatemalan, Sumatra, or Mexican coffee. Kona coffee is ordinary, run-of-the-mill"

"But everyone, from the people who plant it, maintain it, pick the berries, dry them, husk and roast them, well, they're all unionized at USA wages."

Ensenada Dr., could you do me a favor and price one of those Hawaiian pineapples? That'll be a good measure of just how screwed-up the economics are.

C&H can no longer jingle "Pure Cane Sugar From Hawaiiiiii". It's now "Pure Cane Sugar From The mainlanddddddddd"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:47 AM
A special place..

I am in Kona on the Big Island right now and I think Hawaii is very scenic. There was a beautiful breeze blowing when I got off the airplane, and it was cooler than it has been in San Diego. There are still coffee pickers here that are Mexicans, also the Portuguese have a huge influence because of their migration here to help out with the fishing fleets. I love the Big Island, it has it all, including live volcanoes!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
There is a huge Mexican influence in Hawaii, especially on the BIG ISLAND, as Mexican caballeros were imported to work the ranches, and teach the natives the fine art of cowboying!!! Many stayed, and their influence on everything Hawaiian is profound, and we all benefit to this day. The Hawaiian music was especially influenced by the Mexicanos. I love it!!!!

Hawaii is very special, and the prices are way over-hyped in my opinion, considering their remoteness. We return there often, and love all the Islands of Hawaii----all very different. Molokai and Lanaii our favorites.

Barry
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:52 AM

Hawai'i is much like Mexico in terms of lifestyle. If you want to live like an expatriate mainlander, it is expensive. If you want to live like a local, it is much less expensive. That includes food.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:59 AM
javi's paradise tiki bar

how about a shameless plug for rosarito's newest bithin hawaiian sports bar. at K36 1/2 stop in and say hi to herbie,chris, and rosarito's most famous bar keep, javier.
truly this is a nice,nice spot!:bounce:
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 12:02 PM

well I for one disagree with you on the Kona Coffee

I lived for awhile on Maui, so I am speaking some what with experience, True 100% Kona coffee does have a distinct
rich flavor in my opinion,, in fact we had some this morning
it really expensive here, but we both treat ourselves occasionally on the weekends as a treat
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 04:58 PM

Kona coffee is smooth without a bitter taste. If you research it, it ranks as one of the best coffees in the world. I just went shopping at the Kona Costco. I guess that is the best place to do your shopping while in Hawaii. The individual pineapple was $3.84 each, not cheap but not outrageous for Hawaii either.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 05:43 PM

Congenial difference of opinion.

Without parallel is Jamaican Blue Mountain, the real stuff 100% pure.

But shade grown coffee from Chiapas IMHO just knocks the socks off of ten dollar a pound Konas that I have tried. Same for Atitlán coffees -- of course the Konas are better than Folger's or Juan Valdez Columbian. All in my opinion of course.

I just read an article reporting that the gasoline price in the tiny resort area I lived in high in the Sierra Nevada mountains, is five dollars nine, point nine cents per gallon.

A three dollar eighty four cent pineapple is living pretty basic. A freighter can haul twenty thousand tons of goods just as easily as a thousand trucks can. Someone is making a whole lot of money over there.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 05:47 PM

I like Lion Coffee and if I could buy it here I would....but then I would be giving up Combat. After living on Maui for 18 years and seeing all the stuff they put in the ground you couldn't pay me to eat a pineapple, but I'm sure the Mexican varieties are organic. And the scenery just sucked.... Doc....you will adapt if you want. Aloha
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 06:03 PM
hawaii aint burro

Hola, I have been all over the H (sandwich) islands and have to say if you like swiming in warm,clear,clean fresh water and waterfalls..cali wins hands down and thats a FACT!!!!:P
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 06:15 PM

CAFE BRITT -- COSTA RICA -- THE BEST EVER!:biggrin:
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 06:17 PM

You are right...nothing to see in Hawaii. Case closed.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maspacifico
You are right...nothing to see in Hawaii. Case closed.

Wow---------went on our 13th trip to Hawaii last Feb. for a month and still discovering great stuff with a rented 4x4. We totally love the place, but would not want to live there---------

To each his own, I guess.

Barry
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 07:16 PM
BARRY

HOLA, HAWAII IS A GREAT PLACE FOR PLANTS,FLAUNA AND THE LIKE AND I HAVE HAD SOME GOOD TIME THERE !! BUT CONTARY TO MISS CONCEPTIONS>>THE FRESH WATER SCENE CANT HOLD A CANDLE TO THE WEST COST..USA... BTW ITS ALSO THE MOST PREJUDECED PLACE IN ALL MY TRAVELS... I DONT GET REFERRED AS A GRINGO OFTEN AS I HAVE BEEN PART TIME IN MEX SINCE 68..BUT I DONT LIKE THE TERM/SLANG "HOLIE"..MY 2 CENTOVO'S....K&T:cool:
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 07:23 PM

I spent 2 weeks in July on Maui, some things are very expensive Kona Coffee is one, pineapple was $1 each, fish about the same as Calif. The saving grace is Costco and Walmart. I love Hawaii, warm clean ocean water great frendly people and no beheaded bodies hanging from bridges. All you have to do is find the bargins, 5 tee shirts for $20, $7 coconut shrimp, $4 Wahoo sliders, and $1.50 beers. I love Mexico too but untill they take it back from the drug cartels I'm boycotting, I'll be back to Hawaii.

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by 805gregg]
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.