BajaNomad

Cabo San Lucas to La Candelaria.

scouse - 8-28-2012 at 06:23 PM

Cabo San Lucas to La Candelaria.

Sometimes when you’ve been enjoying Cabo too much and your virgil at “The One and Only’ to see if you can spot Jennifer Aniston gets tiring. You start to think you might like a change from the usual tourist stuff.

Well there’s this road…………

That makes for a great day out and a change (Totally) from the Disney/Vegas that is Los Cabos. There’s this old farming community about 20 miles (approx) north a town named La Candelaria.

Fun drive and the town now has artisans that do old style pottery. Ask my daughter she bought a couple of pieces to take back to China! There are a couple around who do it but Jenny chose from an American Lady who’s been living there for years. Friendly, interesting, mid-western lady. (Name escapes me now.)

We made several false starts trying to find our way out of Cabo. The online instructions were totally out of date. So much construction probably.

Coming south and west on hwy 1, you have to make the right turn one light “before” the junction that takes you north on Hwy 19 to Todos Santos. That’s Avienda Leona Vicario.
Take that for about 2 miles ‘or so’ to one block past Isla Cozumel, (there’s a Consturama Vicons Materials there at Isla Cozumel.) Then turn 45degrees right onto Camano a la Candelaria. Don’t turn 90 degrees, that’s Isla Cuba. Still lots of road work going on there.
Go for another 2 miles ‘or so’ then take the fork to the left and drive alongside Cabo San Lucas Airport. You’re still on Camano a la Candelaria.
About 4 miles ‘or so’ and there’s another fork, stay left again. Then do what we did and followed the main dirt road north.

It’s well worth the drive into the Santa Catarina Mountains for nice scenery and some wildlife through ranching country.

Just past on the left of the church the goat horns on the gate is where you’ll find our friendly potter. Going down the hill is a palm fringed oasis I hear one can swim in but check first.

We went out by going west out of La Candelaria by-passing the cemetery and following the water course down the hill. We saw what looked like an old large hacienda at the bottom with a pool filled with rocks. Probably carried down with flood waters. It looked to be a military post with army trucks there but we didn’t see a soul. From then on out it’s sand wash and river bed. Well traveled by rental ATV’s and buggys as well as farm trucks. Comes out at the bridge at Highway 19 over the wash at Migrino

We went north on 19 from there for some well earned Cervesa and Nachos on the beach at Playa Los Cerritos.

Really a fun day out and refreshing change.

Looking up the road north.

Roadside shrine top.

Pigs and cacti.

Burros in a frenzy.

Cara Cara…and Cati

Looking down on La Candelaria

And up to the cemetery

Local Church

Potters Gate

Jenny and her friendly potter, they got on great.

Boots..!

Old adobe wasting away.

Sharon with the nachos at Los Cerritos beach, Oh and the Corona.

Too stiff and old anymore

Me…heading for the nachos!!!

David K - 8-28-2012 at 06:28 PM

Nice report and photos!

Oggie - 8-28-2012 at 07:08 PM

Great Pictures

El Vergel - 8-28-2012 at 09:06 PM

Wow!
Killer stuff! Thank you so much 4 the report and imagery!

Bajaboy - 8-28-2012 at 09:15 PM

Many years ago, we went up there to buy some carrizo...great area with lots of intrigue. Thanks for sharing.

scouse - 8-29-2012 at 08:43 AM

Thanks you guys, guess I can't really tell you regulars what fun it is and what you can find once off the pavement.

Appreciate your comments.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-29-2012 at 05:33 PM

great fotos, thank you !

i have always meant to go but couldn't get any of my friends to go with me and i really do need a navigator.

with your directions, when i go back to los barriles next year, i am going to make the trek as i have always wanted to go to la candelaria and buy some ranch ware and other pieces they make there.

i thank you very much,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

scouse - 8-30-2012 at 09:52 AM

De nada Rat!

If you're coming from the Todos Santos Hwy 19 try the Migrino sandwash, duck under the brigde there to the dry bed.

Take a good look at google earth to where the sand ends, you have to take a right at the fork and then a left.... to the left of the old hacienda military post and go up the trail there.

That's a fun drive in itself. Good luck.

My map isn't as good as David K's :) But here it is, hope it helps.

[Edited on 8-30-2012 by scouse]

shari - 8-30-2012 at 10:02 AM

Scouse...what a great trip report....because I have lived in baja so long, sometimes I skip over these reports...but I'm glad I looked at yours!!! I have never been to Candelaria and it looks great...my kind of town! The pottery looks beautiful.

Your photos really tell the story well...my favorites are the shrine top heart and your going for tacos...but I loved them ALL!!! You have the baja spirit amigo!

BajaBlanca - 8-30-2012 at 10:08 AM

really fun photos ! thanks for taking the time to share.

scouse - 8-30-2012 at 10:31 AM

Thanks again for the kind words. Makes it worth while.

The pot my daughter is holding, and bought has womens breast around it.
Go figure, it's art!

[Edited on 8-30-2012 by scouse]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-30-2012 at 11:32 AM

Hola scouse,

thank you for the additional information. however, i do not have a strong four wheel drive and am careful not to drive in arroyos especially, without a companion vehicle.

i thank you again,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

scouse - 8-31-2012 at 10:04 AM

From the south is a lot easier then.

monoloco - 8-31-2012 at 11:31 AM

Here's some mountain pottery photos, these were made by Marcos at Rancho San Vicente which is not too far from Candelaria.

My wife actually cooks with all of these, they are fairly durable and can be used directly on a stove burner.

David K - 8-31-2012 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for the satellite map!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-31-2012 at 11:51 AM

Hola monoloco,

thank you for your pictures. great pieces.

just what i am looking for but not to cook in, just to collect.

i will look up marcos hopefully, next year.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-31-2012 at 11:56 AM

Hola monoloco,

would you be so kind as to post the directions to Marcos at Rancho San Vicente ?

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

scouse - 8-31-2012 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Here's some mountain pottery photos, these were made by Marcos at Rancho San Vicente which is not too far from Candelaria.
My wife actually cooks with all of these, they are fairly durable and can be used directly on a stove burner.
They look good, looks like I'll have to check them out this November. Send those directions please.

[Edited on 8-31-2012 by scouse]

Heather - 8-31-2012 at 03:19 PM

Whenever we're in Cabo we like to get out to the Ranchos if we can....we usually go looking for mangoes or pitayas. Have made the trip to Candelaria a couple of times....but always seem to take the wrong road, so leads to quite an adventure!

There's lots of stories in Cabo about the brujas/witches that live in Candelaria...did you meet any? How about the mangoes? The last time we were there they had some drying (orejitas/little ears...I think they were called). They were very tasty!

We also came out by Migrino, but our Isuzu didn't make it too far....got stuck...we started digging, but finally a cowboy and his family in a pick-up came by and gave us a tow back to the road.

monoloco - 8-31-2012 at 03:35 PM

If you have a Baja Almanac you will see San Vicente de la Sierra about 2" almost straight north of La Candelaria on the map. We usually take the rancho road just south of Plutarco Elias Calles but you can reach it from La Candelaria also. I tried to pull up a google earth image or map but none of the ranchos are indicated.

monoloco - 8-31-2012 at 04:19 PM

Here's some photos of Rancho San Vicente:

This is my wife with Marcos and his hermana Margarit, sorry I rotated them in photobucket and they show correctly there but not here for some reason.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-31-2012 at 04:50 PM

Hola monoloco,

great pictures and BEAUTIFUL WORK !

i guess the upside down black pots are just out of an open fire ? i'm curious how they clean them up like the next fotos.

i'll look it up before my trip next year. any idea what the pricing is ?

thank you so very much,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

monoloco - 8-31-2012 at 04:59 PM

The pots on the rack are the ones they actually cook with over their open wood fires. I can't tell you what the prices are, it's been a couple of years since I've been there. Usually he's mostly sold out and you need to make an order, there are shop owners who go there and buy up everything to resell in stores in Todos Santos and Los Cabos.

scouse - 9-1-2012 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
If you have a Baja Almanac you will see San Vicente de la Sierra about 2" almost straight north of La Candelaria on the map. We usually take the rancho road just south of Plutarco Elias Calles but you can reach it from La Candelaria also. I tried to pull up a google earth image or map but none of the ranchos are indicated.
I see what you mean, I found San Vicente de la Sierra on Google earth satelite view and they have it about 10K east and slightly north. Nowhere near where the almanac puts it. Funny that!

I see the road you used, we'll just have to take a look your way come November.

monoloco - 9-2-2012 at 06:12 AM

If you find your way to San Vicente, Marco's place is the last place at the end of the road.

Bob H - 9-2-2012 at 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Scouse...what a great trip report....because I have lived in baja so long, sometimes I skip over these reports...but I'm glad I looked at yours!!! I have never been to Candelaria and it looks great...my kind of town! The pottery looks beautiful.

Your photos really tell the story well...my favorites are the shrine top heart and your going for tacos...but I loved them ALL!!! You have the baja spirit amigo!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Great stuff Scouse !

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-2-2012 at 11:30 AM

Hola scouse,

thank you again for starting this so very interesting thread.

on your trip back to candelaria in november, PLEASE be so kind as to repost your journey and especially, new directions, if there are any.

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT