BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cabo San Lucas to La Candelaria.
scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2012 at 06:23 PM
Cabo San Lucas to La Candelaria.

Cabo San Lucas to La Candelaria.

Sometimes when you’ve been enjoying Cabo too much and your virgil at “The One and Only’ to see if you can spot Jennifer Aniston gets tiring. You start to think you might like a change from the usual tourist stuff.

Well there’s this road…………

That makes for a great day out and a change (Totally) from the Disney/Vegas that is Los Cabos. There’s this old farming community about 20 miles (approx) north a town named La Candelaria.

Fun drive and the town now has artisans that do old style pottery. Ask my daughter she bought a couple of pieces to take back to China! There are a couple around who do it but Jenny chose from an American Lady who’s been living there for years. Friendly, interesting, mid-western lady. (Name escapes me now.)

We made several false starts trying to find our way out of Cabo. The online instructions were totally out of date. So much construction probably.

Coming south and west on hwy 1, you have to make the right turn one light “before” the junction that takes you north on Hwy 19 to Todos Santos. That’s Avienda Leona Vicario.
Take that for about 2 miles ‘or so’ to one block past Isla Cozumel, (there’s a Consturama Vicons Materials there at Isla Cozumel.) Then turn 45degrees right onto Camano a la Candelaria. Don’t turn 90 degrees, that’s Isla Cuba. Still lots of road work going on there.
Go for another 2 miles ‘or so’ then take the fork to the left and drive alongside Cabo San Lucas Airport. You’re still on Camano a la Candelaria.
About 4 miles ‘or so’ and there’s another fork, stay left again. Then do what we did and followed the main dirt road north.

It’s well worth the drive into the Santa Catarina Mountains for nice scenery and some wildlife through ranching country.

Just past on the left of the church the goat horns on the gate is where you’ll find our friendly potter. Going down the hill is a palm fringed oasis I hear one can swim in but check first.

We went out by going west out of La Candelaria by-passing the cemetery and following the water course down the hill. We saw what looked like an old large hacienda at the bottom with a pool filled with rocks. Probably carried down with flood waters. It looked to be a military post with army trucks there but we didn’t see a soul. From then on out it’s sand wash and river bed. Well traveled by rental ATV’s and buggys as well as farm trucks. Comes out at the bridge at Highway 19 over the wash at Migrino

We went north on 19 from there for some well earned Cervesa and Nachos on the beach at Playa Los Cerritos.

Really a fun day out and refreshing change.

Looking up the road north.

Roadside shrine top.

Pigs and cacti.

Burros in a frenzy.

Cara Cara…and Cati

Looking down on La Candelaria

And up to the cemetery

Local Church

Potters Gate

Jenny and her friendly potter, they got on great.

Boots..!

Old adobe wasting away.

Sharon with the nachos at Los Cerritos beach, Oh and the Corona.

Too stiff and old anymore

Me…heading for the nachos!!!

You are who you pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut jnr
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2012 at 06:28 PM

Nice report and photos!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oggie
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-28-2012 at 07:08 PM

Great Pictures

A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.
Knights of Pythagoras

Funny how falling feels like flying
for a little while - Bad Blake
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2012 at 09:06 PM

Wow!
Killer stuff! Thank you so much 4 the report and imagery!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2012 at 09:15 PM

Many years ago, we went up there to buy some carrizo...great area with lots of intrigue. Thanks for sharing.

scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2012 at 08:43 AM

Thanks you guys, guess I can't really tell you regulars what fun it is and what you can find once off the pavement.

Appreciate your comments.

Kurt Vonnegut jnr
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2012 at 05:33 PM

great fotos, thank you !

i have always meant to go but couldn't get any of my friends to go with me and i really do need a navigator.

with your directions, when i go back to los barriles next year, i am going to make the trek as i have always wanted to go to la candelaria and buy some ranch ware and other pieces they make there.

i thank you very much,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 09:52 AM

De nada Rat!

If you're coming from the Todos Santos Hwy 19 try the Migrino sandwash, duck under the brigde there to the dry bed.

Take a good look at google earth to where the sand ends, you have to take a right at the fork and then a left.... to the left of the old hacienda military post and go up the trail there.

That's a fun drive in itself. Good luck.

My map isn't as good as David K's :) But here it is, hope it helps.

[Edited on 8-30-2012 by scouse]

Kurt Vonnegut jnr
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 10:02 AM

Scouse...what a great trip report....because I have lived in baja so long, sometimes I skip over these reports...but I'm glad I looked at yours!!! I have never been to Candelaria and it looks great...my kind of town! The pottery looks beautiful.

Your photos really tell the story well...my favorites are the shrine top heart and your going for tacos...but I loved them ALL!!! You have the baja spirit amigo!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 10:08 AM

really fun photos ! thanks for taking the time to share.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 10:31 AM

Thanks again for the kind words. Makes it worth while.

The pot my daughter is holding, and bought has womens breast around it.
Go figure, it's art!

[Edited on 8-30-2012 by scouse]

Kurt Vonnegut jnr
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2012 at 11:32 AM

Hola scouse,

thank you for the additional information. however, i do not have a strong four wheel drive and am careful not to drive in arroyos especially, without a companion vehicle.

i thank you again,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 10:04 AM

From the south is a lot easier then.

Kurt Vonnegut jnr
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 11:31 AM

Here's some mountain pottery photos, these were made by Marcos at Rancho San Vicente which is not too far from Candelaria.

My wife actually cooks with all of these, they are fairly durable and can be used directly on a stove burner.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for the satellite map!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 11:51 AM

Hola monoloco,

thank you for your pictures. great pieces.

just what i am looking for but not to cook in, just to collect.

i will look up marcos hopefully, next year.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 11:56 AM

Hola monoloco,

would you be so kind as to post the directions to Marcos at Rancho San Vicente ?

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
scouse
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Here's some mountain pottery photos, these were made by Marcos at Rancho San Vicente which is not too far from Candelaria.
My wife actually cooks with all of these, they are fairly durable and can be used directly on a stove burner.
They look good, looks like I'll have to check them out this November. Send those directions please.

[Edited on 8-31-2012 by scouse]

Kurt Vonnegut jnr
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 03:19 PM

Whenever we're in Cabo we like to get out to the Ranchos if we can....we usually go looking for mangoes or pitayas. Have made the trip to Candelaria a couple of times....but always seem to take the wrong road, so leads to quite an adventure!

There's lots of stories in Cabo about the brujas/witches that live in Candelaria...did you meet any? How about the mangoes? The last time we were there they had some drying (orejitas/little ears...I think they were called). They were very tasty!

We also came out by Migrino, but our Isuzu didn't make it too far....got stuck...we started digging, but finally a cowboy and his family in a pick-up came by and gave us a tow back to the road.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2012 at 03:35 PM

If you have a Baja Almanac you will see San Vicente de la Sierra about 2" almost straight north of La Candelaria on the map. We usually take the rancho road just south of Plutarco Elias Calles but you can reach it from La Candelaria also. I tried to pull up a google earth image or map but none of the ranchos are indicated.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.