BajaNomad

Pompano Update

Don Jorge - 9-17-2012 at 05:54 AM

I was asked to give an update on Roger. Pompano has been hospitalized in North Dakota for several weeks. It was brought on by an internal infection and bleeding issue. It was very serious and still is but hopefully he has turned the corner and is mending, albeit slowly.

I visited Roger yesterday. He looked like he was on the fix, finally. We talked about the upcoming hunting seasons here in North Dakota, we talked of Baja and of course his pretty nurses were in our conversation also. He is definitely feeling better!

Roger says to tell the nomads he misses the folks on the board, misses keeping up with Baja via the board and misses Baja. No computer fix for Roger for the last month and it will be a bit longer before he is back online.

Please feel free to send Roger a shout out, hugs, best wishes or a prayer. I will pass written comments to Roger when I get back there later in the week.

As I look out the window this early morning into the expanse of prairie, the flowers are still blooming in the gardens but the cottomwoods, ash and elms trees in the shelterbelts are turning yellow and orange. Any day now the season's first killing freeze will come and officially end the growing season. Harvest has begun and we busily dig potatos, clip and harrow pastures, move cattle closer to home and combine beans.

The lake is calm. It is quiet excepting the sounds of geese and ducks in their morning conversations. I wonder if they are speaking of family, friends and community? Roger and I did.

DENNIS - 9-17-2012 at 06:59 AM

Thanks Jorge......Roger is up front in my thoughts and I'll pray hard for his recovery.

Sounds like he could use an IPad or something similar ....just to pass the time. Hospital living sucks without a diversion.

Skipjack Joe - 9-17-2012 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
I was asked to give an update on Roger. Pompano has been hospitalized in North Dakota for several weeks. It was brought on by an internal infection and bleeding issue. It was very serious and still is but hopefully he has turned the corner and is mending, albeit slowly.

Slowly but surely, that's how these things go. Long, bedridden hospital stays require long recoveries. But things do move forward, day by day.

Thanks for the update. Perhaps a few fishing magazines or a Zane Grey book or two will help pass the time during this recovery period.

Please let us know how I can help.

bajamedic - 9-17-2012 at 07:10 AM

Roger, get well soon, prayers for ya. JH

KASHEYDOG - 9-17-2012 at 07:18 AM

Thanks Jorge. Good to hear that Roger is getting better. Please let him know he's in my thoughts and prayers and we all wish him a speedy recovery. Looking forward to his next post here. Hope "co-pilot" is doing ok too....:yes:

shari - 9-17-2012 at 07:21 AM

muchas gracias Don Jorge for the update and caring for our pal...I'm glad you are there to visit.....please pass this on to Rogelio

Dear Roger....I'm sending you a whack of love, healing energy, a virtual cuba libre, a bear hug and a slobbery kiss that I hope Don Jorge passes onto you....OK, I give permission for a copilot nurse to pass on my beso!

Take it easy man...poco a poco and hope to be crackin jokes with you again soon...much love...shari

Ken Bondy - 9-17-2012 at 07:39 AM

Get better quickly Roger, I miss your posts, your humor, your wisdom.

willyAirstream - 9-17-2012 at 07:41 AM

Thinking good thoughts for you, my man. Hurry back, I need help keeping all these co pilots entertained.

Ateo - 9-17-2012 at 07:59 AM

One can only hope to be admired and respected by his friends as much as this..............

Get well soon!!!

Stay strong!

thebajarunner - 9-17-2012 at 08:07 AM

Tough news, but good to hear that he is improving

Someone needs to get him a iPad, even an ancient one
I resisted, the kids handed me one last month
and they had inscribed on the back "iDad"

It and I are now close friends.
Easy to learn, easier to use, especially in a hospital bed

durrelllrobert - 9-17-2012 at 08:10 AM

The's still some geese left to kill out there. Get out that bed and go do yor duty Roger.

tripledigitken - 9-17-2012 at 08:13 AM

Get well and back to Baja soon. October wouldn't be the same without a morning shot from your patio!

Skipjack Joe - 9-17-2012 at 08:28 AM

One more thing Roger.

Try to lose as little weight as possible during the hospital stay. Eat as much of that hospital food as you can. Even when you don't want to. Even when it tastes lousy.

Uncontrolled weight loss weakens the entire system and lengthens the recovery time. Could add complications as well.

This is from experience.

DENNIS - 9-17-2012 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
One more thing Roger.

Try to lose as little weight as possible during the hospital stay. Eat as much of that hospital food as you can. Even when you don't want to. Even when it tastes lousy.

I developed a "bed-pan appetite" during my recent incarceration insomuch as I refused to use one. I literally crawled into a bathroom to save dignity.
I've lost 30 lbs of excess baggage since the beginning of my ordeal.
I realize not everyone can do this for various reasons, but it's a good thing....for me.

Now....back to our regular programming.

bkbend - 9-17-2012 at 09:27 AM

Sorry to hear things aren't going well and hope your recovery is continuing. Get well and back to Mulege, it wouldn't be the same to pass through this winter without a Pompano sighting.

baitcast - 9-17-2012 at 09:39 AM

Ah the perils of growing old,the "Golden Years" who ever coined the phase needs to have their butt kicked:lol: the mending time is much longer but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction,hang in there Pomp,a Internet friend.
Rob

Neal Johns - 9-17-2012 at 09:52 AM

Get well, you old ....
I can say that!:lol::lol::lol:

paranewbi - 9-17-2012 at 10:01 AM

How about if one of our friends in the Mulege, Conception Bay area did a drive by of the little bays along Conception as Roger use to do for us and give him a little status update with photos?

Blessings on you Roger!

Bob H - 9-17-2012 at 11:06 AM

Thanks so much for the update Don Jorge.

Pompano... get well soon. We all surely miss you around here!

BornFisher - 9-17-2012 at 11:18 AM

Missing your road trip and fishing reports Pomp.! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

mulegemichael - 9-17-2012 at 12:05 PM

pomp...get well..nuff said.

DENNIS - 9-17-2012 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
pomp...get well..nuff said.

:lol::lol::lol:

bajamedic - 9-17-2012 at 01:28 PM

I am thinking that Pompanos first order of business in Baja will be to collect from Sheri. JH :lol:

Care Package

bajaguy - 9-17-2012 at 02:48 PM

If you have an address, I'll send him a case of Rice Krispy Treats!!!!! :lol:

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-rice-krispies-treats-...

Skipjack Joe - 9-17-2012 at 02:53 PM

... and I'll send him a zane grey book.

Just provide the address
and we'll do the rest

Mexitron - 9-17-2012 at 04:23 PM

Get better!!!

LancairDriver - 9-17-2012 at 04:39 PM

Roger, the Salmon in Your Winchester Bay fishing hole are waiting for your annual trip south. Get well soon, and hope to see you around Mulege. Miss your most interesting posts here on BN.

BajaGringo - 9-17-2012 at 06:20 PM

Roger - keeping you in our prayers and we hope for a complete, 100% recovery. Really miss seeing your upbeat posts and humorous photo captions. This place just isn't the same without you!

PS - Have somebody visiting get a pic of you and post it when you are feeling well enough...

[Edited on 9-18-2012 by BajaGringo]

desertcpl - 9-17-2012 at 06:28 PM

Roger

hope for a full recovery, get well soon,, we all miss your wit

here its not the same with out you

bacquito - 9-17-2012 at 06:53 PM

Never met you but we do share first names (Roger). Hope you get well. I am just now recovering from an infection in the bladder area. These "bugs" are getting difficult to conrol. It took about 3 months to control the critters.
Wish you the best.

comitan - 9-17-2012 at 07:04 PM

Joining in on all the good thoughts for a quick recovery.

wiley

grace59 - 9-17-2012 at 07:15 PM

Hello Pompano...I've never had the pleasure of meeting, but have so enjoyed your wonderful posts over the years. I am wishing you a full and fast recovery!

DENNIS - 9-17-2012 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Never met you but we do share first names (Roger).

In Meseeco, you are each the other's "TOCAYO," but you know that. :biggrin:

windgrrl - 9-17-2012 at 08:02 PM

Missing your humour and savoir-faire , Rogelio. Wishing you smooth sailing and many new cross-country RV adventures,
w

Paula - 9-17-2012 at 08:24 PM

I miss you Roger, hope you are back with us soon.

toneart - 9-17-2012 at 08:50 PM

Roger,

You are a friend! Get well soon. I will not be in Mulege this coming winter, but I hope to see you again. Hopefully, you can get back there soon. It is regenerating.

I am wondering if this bug is residual from the tooth crisis earlier in the year? Work on rebuilding your immune system, Amigo.

We will both have some stories to tell at next meeting. :O

Antonio Palabras Des Blah Blahs. :D

Burbs - 9-18-2012 at 07:00 AM

We all request your quick return to the Mulege area. It must be hard to be held in a hospital and our heart goes out to you. I can just imagine how the nurses flock to your room to here stories told by you!
I bet the walleye's are getting fat with you out of action!
Hurry up and get well soon!

roundtuit - 9-18-2012 at 09:16 AM

I'll have a beer waiting for you at Lupes (anas):yes::yes::yes:

BajaBlanca - 9-18-2012 at 10:35 AM

wishing you a speedy recovery ! Must be a very nasty infection to keep you out of trouble for so long ! Send it on it's way .... and get better.

If it is any consolation, the weather has been abominably hot all over Baja this summer/fall. Much hotter than normal .....

24baja - 9-18-2012 at 11:21 AM

Pompano,

Brett and I wish you a full recovery and miss your presence on the board. We hope that we will meet someday over a beer and you can recite in person the stories you generate here. There are fish waiting for you!!

Hurry Back, B & C

fdt - 9-18-2012 at 11:28 AM

We wish you a speedy recovery Roger.
Fernando y familia

capt. mike - 9-18-2012 at 01:06 PM

get well soon Roger...but you have to know the fish are happy....;^)

estebanis - 9-19-2012 at 08:13 AM

I had a flight of Honkers fly right over me in the Los Alamitos Race Track parking lot the other night. Strange but I thought about you and wondered how your season was going. Then I read this thread and find that you are down.
I am wondering do they allow your bird dog to lay beside you in the hospital in N.D.? I am sure that that would speed your recovery...
Get Well and get afield!!!
Esteban

David K - 9-19-2012 at 08:23 AM

Hoping you have a speedy recovery Roger... Give the nurses hell if they refuse your offer to co-pilot!

tu amigo,
David, near your Guajome Lake Park overnight spot.

Phil S - 9-19-2012 at 08:32 AM

Roger. Wendy & I pray for a speedy recovery. As the other poster talked about the salmon fishing at Winchester Bay, I thought since I live near the Umpqua River at Roseburg, you'd be interested in knowing about the large numbers of Salmon that are now swimming past my brothers house. He had gone down to go swimming off his dock, and when he dived in, there were so many salmon, that he was able to crawl across the river to the other shore & back without getting wet! I had no idea you were so successful over there that we never saw much salmon "over here". And if your unable to collect that kiss from Shari as another Nomad had volunteered, I'd be happy to take your 'proxey' myself:lol::lol::lol:

Sweetwater - 9-19-2012 at 06:01 PM

Roger,

I spent 37 years working in hospitals, 32 at a tertiary care, teaching hospital.

Stay OUT of hospitals they are full of sick people!

:lol:

I am doing my best to follow my advice and wish you a speedy recovery. I'm still quite disappointed that none of the lovelies pictured were part of the motor home sale.

and remember: Don't you know....that you're over the hill

When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.....

:light:

latina - 9-19-2012 at 09:42 PM

Hoping that you are on the road to recovery and will be on the road to Baja very soon...

irenemm - 9-19-2012 at 10:19 PM

Roger I had the pleasure of meeting you last year when you stopped by my place.
I have always loved your trips as you take us all around and give us such a great history lesson.
I wish you a very speedy recovery and get back to what you like the most.
Get well soon our dear friend.
Irene

Vince - 9-20-2012 at 10:11 AM

Roger- You got thru that last one, you can do it again. Pat and I are wishing you well.

Keri - 9-20-2012 at 11:19 AM

Roger, . We miss you Hurry back. I'll put you in my prayers Get well soon,k

lindsay - 9-24-2012 at 11:03 PM

Have not been on the discussion boards for a loooong time but just wanted to wish Roger all the best and cuidate mucho!! Muchos saludos desde San Diego!! ;)

Bajame - 9-25-2012 at 08:08 AM

Roger miss you and your post, we are looking forward to seeing your post and knowing you are doing much better!! Seva.

wessongroup - 9-25-2012 at 08:29 AM

Hang in there big guy ...

Mulegena - 9-25-2012 at 08:34 AM

You were with me in spirit, Roger, as I swam with a fin whale right off-shore of your house
in Coyote last week.

She said she missed you, darn it, and told me to tell you,
so from the whale's mouth to you, a message from Davey Jones' Locker...
"GET THEE BACK TO BAJA!"

Jaybo - 9-25-2012 at 10:01 AM

I mostly just lurk here but Pompano is one of my most favorite characters here on BN. His humor, his photo's and his nomad lifestyle makes this place shine. Hope I am lucky enough to meet the man someday. Roger, Get your ass well and get back here, you're sorely missed by everyone ..

[Edited on 9-25-2012 by Jaybo]

captain4tuna - 9-25-2012 at 10:37 AM

Miss your stories Pompano.......My favorite reads and photos....Get well et que Dieu to benisse mon ami......Rie

fandango - 9-26-2012 at 10:16 AM

Don Jorge:
How is pomp this morning?

Don Jorge - 9-28-2012 at 08:28 AM

I visited with Pompano yesterday. He is improving rapidly and moves into another facilty Monday where the physical therapy intensifies and soon he will be out.

He says thanks to all the Nomads for the kind thoughts and wishes. He is already planning his next winter in Baja.

He has his computer now and soon will be posting. That's it for now.

sd - 9-28-2012 at 08:37 AM

Get well Roger!

Lots of travels and adventures are waiting for you.

Scot

jbcoug - 9-28-2012 at 11:17 AM

Don Jorge,

Thanks for the great news!

Roger, The news is what we have all been hoping and praying for. Good to hear you are progressing and planning for future adventures. Hope we're hearing from you soon.

John

DENNIS - 9-28-2012 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
I visited with Pompano yesterday. He is improving rapidly and moves into another facilty Monday where the physical therapy intensifies and soon he will be out.

WOW...that sounds all too familiar. Hope I'm wrong, but look forward to his return.

Marc - 9-29-2012 at 06:48 AM

Get well big guy.

Heal up, amigo.

djh - 9-29-2012 at 07:59 AM

I've been away for a few weeks... Sorry to learn you've been sick, Roger. Heal up soon. Still keeping a few on ice for you in CDA!

djh

Wingnut - 9-29-2012 at 12:28 PM

Pompano, we all have missed your stories and fantastic photos. I am sure Mulege misses it's daily life reporter. Get well soon and get your tail back to Baja....

acadist - 9-30-2012 at 10:37 AM

Get well soon!

BajaNomad - 10-3-2012 at 04:19 PM

Email in my inbox today:

Subj: flowers to hospital
Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:08 PM

My sincere thanks to Bajanomads for the nice flower arrangement sent to me in this hospital in ND. My daily thoughts are with you all.

Peace, love, and fish tacos for this winter!

Pompano, Roger

DENNIS - 10-3-2012 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Email in my inbox today:

My sincere thanks to Bajanomads for the nice flower arrangement sent to me in this hospital in ND. My daily thoughts are with you all.

Pompano, Roger

Who sent flowers? Guess it had to be someone who knew where Roger is....Like Jorge.

What a nice thought and thing to do.

I'm sending virtual flowers so get ready, Roger. I'm sending lots of them. :saint:

scouter - 10-3-2012 at 08:09 PM

I really miss his energy !!
get well buddy.....

Skipjack Joe - 10-3-2012 at 08:17 PM

Yes, flowers are really nice to receive at a hospital. When everyone is gone from your place there they are across the room silently reminding you that people love you.

Sallysouth - 10-3-2012 at 09:18 PM

Yeah that sounds like Jorge.A kind man with a huge heart, and a serious rancher and farmer! Get well Roger, I miss you too.Abrazos to you...;)

David K - 10-4-2012 at 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Email in my inbox today:

Pompano, Roger

Way cool!!

Good News

Don Jorge - 10-12-2012 at 02:42 PM

I just spoke with Roger on the phone and he is out of the hospital. He has a few more days of PT as an outpatient and then look out birds and co pilots too.

Once again he says thanks for all the good wishes and he also warns us he will be returning to Baja in November. :lol:

fandango - 10-12-2012 at 05:05 PM

thanks for the post don jorge.
good to hear!

David K - 10-12-2012 at 05:22 PM

Great News!

jeans - 10-13-2012 at 08:53 AM

I read this whole thread today with concern....I'm glad it ended happily..:yes: The board misses you!

wessongroup - 10-13-2012 at 08:57 AM

Good to hear ... :):)

DENNIS - 10-13-2012 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
I read this whole thread today with concern....I'm glad it ended happily..:yes: The board misses you!

Since we can only make an educated guess as to the cause of Roger's hospitalization, I'm not so sure it has ended.
For some reason, in my case, the scenario seems autobiographical.

fandango - 10-19-2012 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
I just spoke with Roger on the phone and he is out of the hospital. He has a few more days of PT as an outpatient and then look out birds and co pilots too.

Once again he says thanks for all the good wishes and he also warns us he will be returning to Baja in November. :lol:

any missing birds yet?

good wishes still to pomp
and thanks don jorge for the updates.

Cypress - 10-19-2012 at 10:31 AM

Pompano, Will be good when you're posting again. Miss all your stories, pictures, and most of all, your point of view.:D

David K - 10-19-2012 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Pompano, Will be good when you're posting again. Miss all your stories, pictures, and most of all, your point of view.:D

Double Dittos to that!

fdt - 10-19-2012 at 01:40 PM

Great!

Lauriboats - 10-19-2012 at 03:13 PM

Awesome, looking forward to taking his money on a poker table in Baja soon.

Final Update

Don Jorge - 11-7-2012 at 05:34 PM

Pompano has left the North country. I spoke with him a few days ago. He is near Baja, soon to be back in Baja. He no doubt will be back on Nomads when he gets settled in to his new digs in Baja.

North Dakota deer season opens Friday. Pompanos not here. Strange. It's hell getting old, that's all folks.

fandango - 11-7-2012 at 05:52 PM

Thanks for the update don Jorge.

Hope he has a good trip south and you have a good deer season, albeit without your friend.

DENNIS - 12-8-2012 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Pompano has left the North country. I spoke with him a few days ago. He is near Baja, soon to be back in Baja. He no doubt will be back on Nomads when he gets settled in to his new digs in Baja.

Anything new, Jorge? Roger is missing the benefits of a tremendous support group here. Believe me......it makes a big difference to know your friends have your well-being in mind.

David K - 12-8-2012 at 05:17 PM

Roger... please give me a call when you stay at Guajome Park or pass through Oceanside (any time you do)!

Bob H - 12-9-2012 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Anything new, Jorge? Roger is missing the benefits of a tremendous support group here. Believe me......it makes a big difference to know your friends have your well-being in mind.

Well said Dennis! Can't wait to see a post from Roger soon!!!

Final, Final Update

Don Jorge - 12-9-2012 at 10:27 AM

I had lunch with Pompano last Wednesday at Ruby's on the Oceanside pier. His health is improving everday, poco a poco. We spoke of days past spent in Baja, of family and friends, of woman, hunting, fishing, farming, ranching and other guy talk.

He left Friday in his motorhome for the Grand Canyon.
Hard to argue with that idea. Spending time in America's red rock canyonlands, especially in the off season, is something everyone should do.

Perhaps after the New Year he will venture into Baja. I do not know. Any further Pompano updates should come from him, if he feels so inclined. If not, ni modo.

DENNIS - 12-9-2012 at 10:30 AM

OK....thanks. I'm sure he knows what's best.