BajaNomad

? Quad run from Catavina to the Pacific ?

Russ - 11-1-2012 at 11:56 AM

Anyone do this?
I'm making plans to tow my Ranger and two others with their RZR's to Catavina then take them to the Pacific and explore and camp for a few days. Maps and/or Photos would be great:tumble:

MMc - 11-1-2012 at 12:13 PM

It's very doable, grab a Almanac and go have a adventure. Bring plenty of gas and you will find some moon dust. Any info that isn't current,like in the pass 3 weeks is useless, remember all the rain.
The road has been there for quite awhile just changes with every weather pattern that goes through.

Update us on the trimaran family.

TMW - 11-1-2012 at 12:14 PM

David K has a map and details here. He left hwy 1 further north and headed for Puerto Canoas then joined the road from Catavina. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=63594

The turn off north of Catavina at KM168 is a graded road to the coast at San Jose. Lots of options along the coast north and south to explore. Take plenty of gas.

AAA Baja Map

David K - 11-1-2012 at 01:42 PM

Then there is the unmapped road from Laguna Chapala to the Pacific...

David K - 11-1-2012 at 01:50 PM

You can see it on Google Earth and TW has taken the mileage on it...

[Edited on 11-1-2012 by David K]

thebajarunner - 11-1-2012 at 02:07 PM

I think I would add "take plenty of water" to the gas reminder...

Russ - 11-1-2012 at 03:15 PM

Good maps, Thanks! We were told you can find a trail right behind the hotel. I'll look a little harder at google earth.

bajamedic - 11-1-2012 at 04:19 PM

Russ, I am drooling all over myself:(, please post photos for those of us that cannot be there. JH:)

Feathers - 11-1-2012 at 04:30 PM

Sounds like a fantastic adventure!!!

chippy - 11-1-2012 at 04:44 PM

Bring surfboards and fishing gear. Lots of waves and fish on that stretch.:bounce::bounce::bounce::tumble:

TMW - 11-1-2012 at 05:12 PM

There is a road behind the hotel that drops into a wash after a mile or so and it crosses the main road in about 6 miles. after joining the road to the coast after the wash there is a road to the left about 1.5 miles that goes to the San Telmo Onyx mine. I haven't been there for several years but the last timn I was there a father and son were working it. I didn't meet the father but the son was real friendly, let us pick out some Onyx to keep. It's maybe 12-15 miles to the mine. There is a road out to the coast from the mine to the west/south. It was part of the 1985 Baja 1000 race. Probably hasn't been used for years so it may not be passable. It's shown in the new almanac on page 7.

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by TW]

David K - 11-1-2012 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
There is a road behind the hotel that drops into a wash after a mile or so and it crosses the main road in about 6 miles. after joining the road to the coast after the wash there is a road to the left about 1.5 miles that goes to the San Telmo Onyx mine. I haven't been there for several years but the last timn I was there a father and son were working it. I didn't meet the father but the son was real friendly, let us pick out some Onyx to keep. It's maybe 12-15 miles to the mine. There is a road out to the coast from the mine to the west/south. It was part of the 1985 Baja 1000 race. Probably hasn't been used for years so it may not be passable. It's shown in the new almanac on page 7.

The La Bocana marsh area (Zona Arquelogica on map) has some petroglyphs... see posts by Neal Johns

vgabndo - 11-1-2012 at 05:56 PM

[guess you missed the "quad" part!]

Fishing gear, surfboards, no problem. You must be thinking quad, as in not a downsized jeep.

This is a RZR.

PolarisRZR-DFR-Exhaust-1_small.jpg - 6kB

David K - 11-1-2012 at 06:05 PM

Quad vs. a side-by-side... Great that there is so many off road choices!

Russ - 11-1-2012 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
[guess you missed the "quad" part!]

Fishing gear, surfboards, no problem. You must be thinking quad, as in not a downsized jeep.

This is a RZR.

I shouldn't have said quad. we have side by sides or UTV's. All a set up to haul camp gear and fishing, surfing or kayaking gear too.
Our "path finder" is a bit rustic and always seems to find the senic route :lol: He has a real knack for blazing trails to get us there. even if we get lost for awhile. And those times seem to be the best part of any ride. Some call it "technical" which I think they mean as treacherous. If I can't make it he'll come back and find "the old man's trail". He hasn't had to come back for me yet
:wow:
I'm really looking forward to this ride.
David K, you're last map is what I wanted. Also got google earth to work. Thanks. I'm sure I'll post a shot or two. I'll have a GoPro shooting every 30 sec. and a movie cam with a good zoom and my favorite the Nikon P-510. Extra batteries and memory cards.

DK= el mapa !!! high five !!

captkw - 11-1-2012 at 07:07 PM

my self, I run blind !! when I ask a local about the road and they look at my tires !! I run it !!LOL,,,K&T:cool:..no mucho povo...what a sec.....Palvo...for your oldtimers....K&T..:P

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by captkw]

motoged - 11-1-2012 at 08:51 PM

Be prepared for flats.....:light:

Russ - 11-1-2012 at 09:11 PM

We all have 8 ply tires and run soft. Also a spare and repair kits. Thanks motoged I'll check the tire kit and make sure it ready.

Russ - 11-2-2012 at 10:39 AM

I zoomed in on the map DK last posted and was able to make some full page detailed maps. Here's from the hotel ....

and the next

All the way to the Pacicic

TMW - 11-2-2012 at 04:58 PM

How much gas does it hold and how far can you go on a tank, just curious I've never been in one.

bajamedic - 11-2-2012 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I zoomed in on the map DK last posted and was able to make some full page detailed maps. Here's from the hotel ....

and the next

All the way to the Pacicic

Russ, what kind of tires are you guys running? I just brought a 2013 Ranger 900 XP Limited Edition home, the tires and wheels are "upgraded", but I would rather run something that is Baja proven. JH

Russ - 11-2-2012 at 06:05 PM

Oh man, I want a 2013 SOOO bad but I just got the 2012 so I'll just have to wait a few years to get one. We're all running 8 ply ITP Baja Cross's. 26" on 12" wheels. That's the 3 of us doing this ride. There are a lot of SxS's in Chivato now. But your tire up grade might have 14" wheels. Go to the PRC forum (Polaris Ranger Club). If I had the 2013 I think I'd but 28" Big horns on it. I don't think ITP makes a 28" Baja Cross. The wheels are different widths front to rear if you were thinking same size tires all around you'll need new front wheels.
PRC is a really exceptional site. I haven't seen a troll there yet. They have helped me so often I can't tell you how valuable they have been to me. I'm Russinbaja there.
http://www.prcforum.com/index.php
edit: Oh, I used a tire sealant too. My right front got a cactus that some how got through the 8 plies. I switched from Slime to High Lifter Pro Series tire sealant. Have fun on your new toy!

[Edited on 11-3-2012 by Russ]

Russ - 11-2-2012 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
How much gas does it hold and how far can you go on a tank, just curious I've never been in one.

Almost 10 gallons to the top of the filler stub. About 100 mile range depending how you drive. I had an 08 that I installed a 18 gallon tank in. That was really convenient! One of the reasons I got the 2012 Ranger over a RZR is they are made to work/haul stuff. 55 mph is plenty fast for me and I am not far behind the leader on the RZR. There are so many accessories it could put you in the poor house in no time.